PDA

View Full Version : Kimi! Yeah (Raikkonen confirmed at Renault)

Mia 01
29th November 2011, 07:12
Kimi is back!!!

I don´t know what to type, so happy.

Kimi Räikkönen back in F1 with LRGP in 2012 (http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/8034-Kimi-Raikkonen-back-in-F1-with.html)

Ranger
29th November 2011, 07:33
Good.

Now hopefully Grosjean gets a chance in the second seat.

DexDexter
29th November 2011, 07:38
The Iceman is back, this is great news although he is not going to be fighting for podiums with that car.

Big Ben
29th November 2011, 08:25
Great news. I hope Whatevertheyarecallednowadays Renault team can produce a car good enough to keep him interested.

CaptainRaiden
29th November 2011, 08:47
Holy crap! This came out of nowhere. All that talk with Williams, and now he's with Renault?!? So, 6 World Champions on the grid for next year now! Fingers crossed that Renault can make a competitive car next year. From what I read, he seems to be interested in F1 again:

Kimi Räikkönen: “I’m delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I’m grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can’t deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming. It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team’s ambition. Now I’m looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid.”

If that is true, then that's a good thing. The publicity shots in Lotus Renault gear look quite cheesy though. :laugh:

http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/190838.jpg

555-04Q2
29th November 2011, 09:00
New wardrobe...still looks like a doos!

The Black Knight
29th November 2011, 09:03
Ah crap! I was hoping to never see his dopey face on the grid again. F1 was far better off without him. Guess we can't be too surprised with Kubica having recently announcing he won't be ready and the knowledge that his talks with Williams fell through. Hopefully they will get rid of Petrov and give the second seat to Senna. I don't really see the big deal about Grosjean. I think that Senna, despite being donkey of the race in Brazil, has done enough to earn his place in the cockpit of the teams second car.

Oh well, hopefully he will regain that shine he lost when he went to Ferrari. If so it will be a pleasure to watch him drive in F1 again. Welcome back Kimi!

DexDexter
29th November 2011, 09:14
Ah crap! I was hoping to never see his dopey face on the grid again. F1 was far better off without him

I'm interested in this too. Name one bad thing Kimi has said about his fellow drivers or even Ferrari after they backstabbed him? You don't want an honest man who just wants to drive to be on the grid? How strange. You may think he is boring but if you dislike a guy like that then there is something wrong with you.

The Black Knight
29th November 2011, 09:16
In what way? :rolleyes:

In the way that there was a good seat being taken by an unenthusiastic driver. And that I was happy to not have to hear his dull voice at press conferences. I used to be a huge Kimi fan but his attitude the last season in F1 disgusted me and Massa beating him just says it all. That should have never happened to a guy with Kimi talent. I've heard all the conspiracy theories and excuses for him. I don't buy them. He was just lazy but he seemed to regain some of his old form in the last part of 2009. I hope he will return as the Kimi I loved at McLaren.

CaptainRaiden
29th November 2011, 09:29
New wardrobe...still looks like a doos!

Oh come on now, not as bad or a bigger doos than this guy!

http://www4.pictures.fp.zimbio.com/Michael+Schumacher+Shopping+Milan+2zBRq708tgul.jpg

http://thepitwalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/schumi-comic-shirt-again.jpg

http://theformulaoneandmotorsportsarchive.files.wordpress .com/2010/08/michael_bigotillo-769797.jpg

:laugh: :rotflmao:

Mark
29th November 2011, 09:44
Great news :D . But I do have to agree that he came across as 'not even bovvvered' in his last season in F1.

DexDexter
29th November 2011, 09:53
Great news :D . But I do have to agree that he came across as 'not even bovvvered' in his last season in F1.

Didn't he always? Nobody knows if that was really the case but what I do know is that Finnish has what you call a "flat" intonation and that comes across quite strongly in the way Kimi speaks English. Couple that with a closed personality not uncommon to a Finnish male and the guy may appear dull and uninterested from a foreigner's perspective even if he isn't.

Mark
29th November 2011, 10:03
No I don't think it's just his accent. He seemed a lot more motivated in previous years.

CaptainRaiden
29th November 2011, 10:14
No I don't think it's just his accent. He seemed a lot more motivated in previous years.

I don't think he ever sounded or looked motivated or even showed a lot of over-the-top celebration after winning important races throughout his career, whether it be his first ever victory, his amazing last-lap victory at Suzuka 2005 or his first ever victory for Ferrari or even his championship winning race in Brazil 2007.

JIy5ipdoKro

O9qyugUOhl8

Kimi has always been low key and did his job on the race track, that was to drive really fast when motivated, not beat his chest or show his finger to the camera or slather the camera with a wet kiss. He has a lot of fans who like him for that. :)

555-04Q2
29th November 2011, 10:37
[quote="CaptainRaiden"]Oh come on now, not as bad or a bigger doos than this guy![quote]

7 WDC and 91 wins doesn't equate to a successful wardrobe either then :p :

Knock-on
29th November 2011, 10:43
In the way that there was a good seat being taken by an unenthusiastic driver. And that I was happy to not have to hear his dull voice at press conferences. I used to be a huge Kimi fan but his attitude the last season in F1 disgusted me and Massa beating him just says it all. That should have never happened to a guy with Kimi talent. I've heard all the conspiracy theories and excuses for him. I don't buy them. He was just lazy but he seemed to regain some of his old form in the last part of 2009. I hope he will return as the Kimi I loved at McLaren.

He lost his Mojo, I agree, but I think he was understandable unenthusiastic. Lets hope that he's found it again.

Big Ben
29th November 2011, 10:54
I'll take his icy attitude over Vettel's annoying screaming any time.

CaptainRaiden
29th November 2011, 11:03
7 WDC and 91 wins doesn't equate to a successful wardrobe either then :p :

I know these are bad times with the recession and all, but he doesn't have to buy second-hand clothes from the circus or Boy George to save money either. :p

DexDexter
29th November 2011, 11:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xpcHyyEqxE0

Doesn't seem unmotivated to me, this is from Spa 2009. Must be the KERS though, with that you can pass without motivation.

555-04Q2
29th November 2011, 11:09
I know these are bad times with the recession and all, but he doesn't have to buy second-hand clothes from the circus or Boy George to save money either. :p

:laugh: :up:

Knock-on
29th November 2011, 11:19
I wonder if there is any connection between Kimi joining and Davy Ryan appearing at Lotus recently?

ArrowsFA1
29th November 2011, 11:23
Petrov + Raikkonen - #DebriefingWillBeShort
https://twitter.com/#!/alex_wurz/status/141430724644454401

:p :

Dave B
29th November 2011, 11:32
It's easy to forget that at the start of the season Renault-Lotus-Lada-Genii-Pugh-Pugh-Barney-McGrew-Cutherbert-Dibble-Grubb had two consecutive podiums, so maybe Kimi is convinced that with some development the car might be capable of winning again. Whether he's the man to bring that development is of course open to question: nobody's doubting his experience or speed but with limited testing there's only so much he can do if the car turns out to be another dog.

Robinho
29th November 2011, 11:56
I've surprised myself as I'm genuinely excited by this news. I always liked Kimi, but I didn't realise i actually missed him until te news came that he was definately back. Add to that the last 6 world champions, from the last 12 years will all be racing next year, which has to be a good thing.

Pity (personally) that it looks to have cost Senna his seat, especially if Petrov is retained cos he's done nothing so far to keep out Grosjean or Senna IMO. Would be nice if Kubica came back mid season, that could be quite a line up - Kimi and Kubica, that could rattle a few teams. Unlikely I know, but a nice thought nonetheless.

Hopefully Lotus (nee Renault) can build on the promise they showed at the beginning of the season, and not carry over where they finished the season and maybe with at least one top line driver could mix up the order in the front 4-5 teams.

Bezza
29th November 2011, 12:50

Still though he outperformed the car, winning once and getting a run of podiums, comfortably beating Massa, Badoer and Fisichella that year. With more motivation, just think how fast he could be.

I am happy he is back, he is only 32 and has plenty of time left to get a second championship. The grid will change completely in 2013 & 2014 and this contract gives him the chance to show that he is worth a top-line drive - so there is his motivation.

He may find being at a lesser team actually more suits him - less PR, less pressure, more chance to overachieve.

ArrowsFA1
29th November 2011, 13:13
hu8Uy9PkS5g

52Paddy
29th November 2011, 13:39
If this means that there is another driver who can challenge for podiums and, at a stretch, race wins, how on earth can this be bad news? :D

jens
29th November 2011, 15:42
Oh well. I wasn't really expecting these news. Even yesterday, while pondering about 2012 line-ups, I wasn't considering Räikkönen at Lotus. But I have to say it's not exactly a surprise either, because there were some rumours about contact between two sides. Bouiller has talked about needing a "big name" for the future, also after a difficult season LRGP has been evaluating future options and seemed to be quite flexible about, who to possibly hire.

Now interesting to think that the Williams rumours were really serious, but they quite suddenly died off just recently. Perhaps that was the moment, when Kimi got a better offer from LRGP and hence decided to abandon Williams. There was some talk about the purchase of equity in Williams, which was arguably denied - wonder if equity was part of negotiations with LRGP too? I think they (Genii) would welcome any new investment in the team. From that point of view long-term deal (it is 2 years as we are reading) makes sense, instead of abandoning the ship quickly.

Regarding motivation thing - perhaps Kimi realized that it would be better to earn something (for racing) rather than pay all his WRC drives, which would be quite expensive. Regarding performance, I guess the current rules could suit Kimi fine. He had some tyre warming issues later in his (previous) F1 career, but in 2005 he was going really well and back then we had tyres that had to last for the whole race! So perhaps Kimi prefers fragile tyres, much like Button.

Interesting partnership, but I'm unsure, how will this work out for the future. There were doubters about the Williams deal, critics saying that there is no point in joining a team that is going nowhere. Well, LRGP doesn't seem much better really, sometimes they have been performing in lower midfield late in the season. If they could get back their early-11 form on a consistent basis, everyone would be happy, but they could just as easily keep scraping for a single championship point every now and then. Like Williams, they have been in turmoil and need a fresh start. I don't think they have it in them to match Top4 teams in F1 at the moment - they would need quite a few changes, also significant further financial boost by the looks of it.

If this means that there is another driver who can challenge for podiums and, at a stretch, race wins, how on earth can this be bad news? :D

It largely depends on the car, how many drivers can challenge for the podium. :) If you are getting lapped like the whole midfield was this year, there is no chance for them.

truefan72
29th November 2011, 15:55
I am absolutely excited about his return!
So it will be petrov and Kimi then,

I wonder what that does for Grosjean and Senna

its a shame we don't have 14 teams like we were supposed to

Mia 01
29th November 2011, 17:02
I´m so happy, the best morning in years. Even if he not scores podiums it will be a joy to watch him. But, at Spa the odds aginst him won´t be high.

AHHHH Kimi, go go go!

Shifter
29th November 2011, 19:54
When Kimi went away, and then Kubica got injured, there went the two drivers I always followed to see how they were doing in any given GP. F1 2012 just got more interesting for me, for sure. I kind of felt like I didn't have anyone I was really rooting for in 2011, partly because Hulkenburg didn't get a seat.

52Paddy
It largely depends on the car, how many drivers can challenge for the podium. :) If you are getting lapped like the whole midfield was this year, there is no chance for them.

Well he is a proven quick driver and race winner. Of course the car will have something to do with it, but it's not like we're getting Yamamoto into the car, or even somebody who lacks a 'race-winning' edge like Heidfeld. We're getting a previous champion. If Lotus start off on the same foot in 2012 as Renault did in 2011 then I expect it to continue further and develop more successfully with Kimi's input, as opposed to fading away like the morning dew during 2011. I also think that the midfield have been getting more competitive in recent years, both amongst themselves and in mixing it with the big boys at the front. Given a sniff of a top 6, most Force India, Renault and/or Sauber would make the most of the opportunity. Even Toro Rosso could do it on a very good day.

52Paddy
I´m so happy, the best morning in years. Even if he not scores podiums it will be a joy to watch him. But, at Spa the odds aginst him won´t be high.

AHHHH Kimi, go go go!

Well, I guess we won't hear the end of his praises from you all year :p :

P3ws
29th November 2011, 21:44
Welcome back, Kimi.

"I would not have come back if I wasn’t motivated. There is always a lot of talk about motivation but nobody really knows what I do or what I think apart from myself so I don’t really care about what people say."

That is why he was so liked. I don´t really care either. :cool:

52Paddy
29th November 2011, 21:51
Welcome back, Kimi.

"I would not have come back if I wasn’t motivated. There is always a lot of talk about motivation but nobody really knows what I do or what I think apart from myself so I don’t really care about what people say."

That is why he was so liked. I don´t really care either. :cool:

Nice quote but any sources?

aryan
29th November 2011, 22:48
I've kept my signature the same since 2009, never thinking that he would actually come back.

But.... the Kimster is back! Yay!

LRGP has never been my favourite team, but now is their time to build a competitive car for Kimi and make a fan out of me.

This is a very happy day for me. Hopefully next year is going to be a cracker with 6 WDCs on the grid.

ioan
29th November 2011, 22:57
Ah crap! I was hoping to never see his dopey face on the grid again.

:down:

kfzmeister
29th November 2011, 23:00
Nice quote but any sources?

If you listen to his video above, you'll hear him say it!

ioan
29th November 2011, 23:00
Still though he outperformed the car, winning once and getting a run of podiums, comfortably beating Massa, Badoer and Fisichella that year.

Funny how Massa had 50% more points when he had his big accident in Hungary.
You never were a person who knows the facts anyway.

kfzmeister
29th November 2011, 23:01
its a shame we don't have 14 teams like we were supposed to

There's been talk of Lola trying to gain entry, so i wouldn't be surprised if another team enters between now and the start of next season!

kfzmeister
29th November 2011, 23:03
I'll take his icy attitude over Vettel's annoying screaming any time.

YES! YES! YES! Bois, THAT'S what i'm talking about! YES! Woooohhhooooooo.....Yes!!

steveaki13
29th November 2011, 23:25
Can't wait already.

How long til F1 2012.

Come on Come on Come on.....

Anyway this is great for F1, 6 world champions and world class driver. This should be fun.

zako85
29th November 2011, 23:35
I can see Lotus Renault designing a competitive car that's capable of taking podiums. Obviously, in 2011 their car had not performed as was expected at the beginning of the season, but that was because of a bad engineering design decision that could not be undone in mid season.

IceWizard
29th November 2011, 23:59
Great news that Kimi is coming back and that we'll see six world champions in F1 next year. Here's hoping that the other drive at Lotus goes to Grosjean, Senna or even Barrichello or Sutil rather than Petrov.

Roamy
30th November 2011, 00:06
maybe we can now overcome some of the boredom - Go Kimi

N. Jones
30th November 2011, 00:30
I think this is awesome news! It is great to have him back.
Let's just hope he doesn't shove a photographer again.

airshifter
30th November 2011, 03:25
Great to see Kimi back!

harsha
30th November 2011, 04:34
great news

DexDexter
30th November 2011, 08:15
Funny how Massa had 50% more points when he had his big accident in Hungary.
You never were a person who knows the facts anyway.

Yep, Massa had more points but as a whole they were quite evenly matched. Anyway, by 2009 Räikkönen had fallen out of favour at Ferrari and we know what happens after that. Just look at Massa's performances after he was relegated to a left-over man.

jas123f1
30th November 2011, 08:18
Welcome back Kimi - I'm glad you're back - hope the car is better next year so you can get some podium places, or even win a few races.

Ranger
30th November 2011, 11:35
Kimi was in a team he knew were pushing him out at the end of the season.

If that affected his performance I'd be pretty concerned.

jens
30th November 2011, 14:43
If Lotus start off on the same foot in 2012 as Renault did in 2011 then I expect it to continue further and develop more successfully with Kimi's input, as opposed to fading away like the morning dew during 2011.

Let's be realistic for a moment now. Renault team has already admitted that the FEE concept was a failure, because it was inefficient for upgrade packages and they already had an experienced driver like Heidfeld on board to help with development. To think that Räikkönen would have magically managed to develop the car, doesn't make sense.

52Paddy
30th November 2011, 18:15
Let's be realistic for a moment now. Renault team has already admitted that the FEE concept was a failure, because it was inefficient for upgrade packages and they already had an experienced driver like Heidfeld on board to help with development. To think that Räikkönen would have magically managed to develop the car, doesn't make sense.

You do have a point in retrospect. Kimi isn't a man who I've ever considered a good development driver. I guess I was just basing my opinion on the back of his experience. Also, I was unaware of the failed FEE concept - I must have been asleep all year :p : I simply thought their performance petered off. Fair point though I still expect they will have a better year than 2011 - even if not as exceptional as I first remarked.

52Paddy
30th November 2011, 18:18
If you listen to his video above, you'll hear him say it!

Cheers lad. Missed the video altogether - I really am asleep these days :mark:

DexDexter
30th November 2011, 19:22

I agree. Räikkönen is not a magician when it comes to car development. However, he will get the most out of the car. The same really cannot be said about Petrov who is still an unknown quantity. I'm sure that Renault's tally this year would have been better with Kubica on board and that's the reason they signed Kimi. Kubica is a known quantity, so is Räikkönen.

ioan
30th November 2011, 22:53
Yep, Massa had more points but as a whole they were quite evenly matched. Anyway, by 2009 Räikkönen had fallen out of favour at Ferrari and we know what happens after that. Just look at Massa's performances after he was relegated to a left-over man.

I just presented the bare facts, you first say yes it's true but... fill in subjective view...
Back to Bezza's point, what is so great about beating Fisi and Badoer after being hung out to dry by Massa?

ioan
30th November 2011, 22:55
I agree. Räikkönen is not a magician when it comes to car development. However, he will get the most out of the car. The same really cannot be said about Petrov who is still an unknown quantity. I'm sure that Renault's tally this year would have been better with Kubica on board and that's the reason they signed Kimi. Kubica is a known quantity, so is Räikkönen.

Kubica is a known quantity? I beg to differ.
Raikkonen is a known quantity? Again, based on what exactly?

Kubica doesn't even know if he can driver a F1 car again.
Kimi didn't drive and F1 car for 2 seasons, and he's never been a known quantity for anything else but his don't care attitude.

Koz
30th November 2011, 23:23

Based on what?
Being a champion?
Being runner up twice?

Kimi didn't drive for two seasons... How many seasons did your Uncle Mike not drive for? :o

aryan
1st December 2011, 01:38
Kimi didn't drive and F1 car for 2 seasons, and he's never been a known quantity for anything else but his don't care attitude.

Well, there are those of us who still remember things such as Suzuka 2005.

For all the hoopla around him, Vettel is yet to show a performance like that.

DexDexter
1st December 2011, 08:07
I just presented the bare facts, you first say yes it's true but... fill in subjective view...
Back to Bezza's point, what is so great about beating Fisi and Badoer after being hung out to dry by Massa?

More bare facts, Räikkönen outqualified Massa more often than not in 2009 before Massa's accident. Anyway, haven't you and I discussed this particular thing quite thoroughly in the past. :p : It's good to see him back but I really don't think he is going to get along with Bouillier.

He is a WDC plus two-time runner up at only 32. You don't lose your ability overnight at that age. Kubica WAS a known quantity when they hired him, sorry about using the present tense.

dogeatsdog
1st December 2011, 13:37
Funny article on Kimi from finnish sports reporter 'Anette' something.. I hear she was driving carting with Kimi when they were 13 or 14 and thats why Kimi always gives her the interviews (might help that she is really hot too!).

Anyways.. the original (in finnish) is here Kiitti Kimi! - MTV3.fi - Urheilu - Blogit - Racegirl (http://blogit.mtv3.fi/racegirl/2011/12/01/kiitti-kimi/)

and here is the translation:

Thanks, Kimi!

MTV3 was the first media which published the news about Kimi Räikkönen transition from Formula One to the World Rally Championship. It was at the end of the year 2009.

This started the spaculations about his success in rallying - some thought he would even win races and others were more realistic and wished that he could finnish off races in the top ten.

We all remember Kim's first 2010 WRC rally in Sweden? Kimi was a Citroen Junior Team driver at the time. For the first time we could all witness the Iceman digging out the car from the snow. The car slipped from the road and for 25 minutes Raikkonen was shoveling snow, with a big woolhat over his ears, dripping sweat, with the world's smallest plastic snow shovel. The Iceman ended the race on Sunday at rank 30 and the difference
to the top was around 37 minutes.

That same year, Kimi drove a the best result of his World Rally Championship career.
In the Turkish Grand Prix Raikkonen was fifth and there was a lot of praise for him after the event. After the rally the Iceman jumped into his private jet and flew to Switzerland while we others stayed stuck in Turkey due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland.
Homecoming took us another 67 hours, for others even longer. Everyone should have their own private jet.

What Kimi certainly appreciated in rallying, was the privacy that he got there.
Journalists / media did not run after him, but he was left in peace. If Kimi was not in the mood to talk, he was left alone with his team. Many foreign reporters came to us to ask what Kimi had said after the interview. Sometimes when the Iceman melted and flashed us
nice smile, the foreigner reportes thought he had said something really funny. Usually it was probably only Kimi laughing at the reporters question.

The fans never left Kimi even though he had changed to the new world of rally-racing. In front of the pit there were always fans shouting kimis name and carrying boards with Kimis name. For example the japanese fans were surprisingly good at pronouncing Kimis full name.

In Kimis first WRC year he had many outings off the road. I don't remember which GP it was but when the forest was calling Kimi again and he had landed his vehicle kimi let out the finnish saying "Voi vittujen kevät!" (Note: meaning pretty much "Fuc king 5hit!"). North One Sports owns the rally promotional rights, and they both film and produce the WRC broadcasts. They asked us to look at Kimis onboard-camera material and asked us to translate what Kimi had said after the car had stopped after doing a somersault. The recap of the conversation:

(original in english as in Anettes blog - not translated)

Anette: Öö it´s kinda hard to translate this…
North One Sport reporter: Well try, we need to know what he says.
Anette: OK, straight translate would be: Spring time of the pussies
North One Sport reporter: Really? What the hell does it mean??? U
finns are weird, we will not use that onboard piece.

Another unfortunate outing was in spain in 2010 which became his shortest ever ralley. He flew off the road on the test special stage. The cars roll bar bend a little and the game was finished. This year after the Rally Catalonia he didn't want to give anyone interviews. We finnish reporters were wondering what this was about? After the rally I asked Kimi why he didn't want to give any interviews? Kimi told me he just had a bad day. He didn't want to talk to us because he would have said something stupid. Yes, even world champions have bad days. This was honesty from Kimis side that I appriciate.

All in all it was great to see Kimi in Rally. I sent him congratulations in a textmessage on tuesday after his renault-contract was published. Usually he doesn't answer my messages but now he answered "Thanks".

So the Iceman is exited about his comeback to to F1! See you next year in Formula One!

jas123f1
1st December 2011, 14:03

Championships
Wins 18
Podiums 62 in 156 races (40%)

Pole positions 16
Fastest laps 35

Championships
2 (2003 and 2005)
1 (2007)
3 (2008)

Not so bad :)

jas123f1
1st December 2011, 14:44
Kimi
Wins 18
Podiums 62 in 156 races (40%)

Pole positions 16
Fastest laps 35

Championships
2 (2003 and 2005)
1 (2007)
3 (2008)

Not so bad :)

Compared with Alonso
Wins 27
Podiums 73 in 177 races (41%)

Pole positions 20
Fastest laps 19

Championships
1st (2005 and 2006)
3rd (2007)
2nd (2010)

jas123f1
1st December 2011, 17:27
Alonso and Kimi has quite similar results at Ferrari too ..

Kimi (2007 > 2009) at Ferrari
3 years: (2007 > 2009) 26 podiums 52 races (50%) - 9 wins (17%)
2 first years (2007 > 2008): 21 podiums 35 races (60%) - 8 wins (23%)
2 latest years (2008 > 2009): 14 podiums 35 races 40% - 3 wins (8%)

Alonso (2010 > 2011) at Ferrari
2 years: 20 podiums 38 races (52%) - 6 wins (16%)

Much is depending on the car of course :)

kfzmeister
1st December 2011, 21:44
I really don't think he is going to get along with Bouillier.

Might not be an issue if Eric gets sh!tcanned!!!

F1boat
2nd December 2011, 07:46
Kimi is cool. I'm glad that he is back. Hopefully Romain will be his teammate :)

Mia 01
2nd December 2011, 12:07
He´s back and even if he has a not so good car he will score some podiums on occasion, perhaps even a win. What suprises me is a minor thing, the hate people on some boards showe him (not this one). So many people have belitteld him and predict that no team ever would want him again, are thoose dissapointed or do they fear him?

Mia 01
2nd December 2011, 12:44
I´m suprised that kimi is twice as popular than the next driver in F1.

Your favourite driver in 2012? - The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board (http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=158145)

P3ws
3rd December 2011, 16:55
Mia, you don´t have to be surprised.
He has allways been very popular among fans. And with teams too.
But as we all know money talks....

RK and KR as a team sounds really exciting.
As for driver lineup IMO the strongest.
Perhaps Lotus (Renault) will get some big sponsors...must be easier with a lineup like that.
Money again, something all top teams need.... to be competitive in the long run.

jas123f1
4th December 2011, 00:39
Mia, you don´t have to be surprised.
He has allways been very popular among fans. And with teams too.
But as we all know money talks....

RK and KR as a team sounds really exciting.
As for driver lineup IMO the strongest.
Perhaps Lotus (Renault) will get some big sponsors...must be easier with a lineup like that.
Money again, something all top teams need.... to be competitive in the long run.

That's true - Kimi is the absolutely favorite among fans - because we know him - we don't ask him to play any roles - for us he is Kimi and it's enough .. we really like him - that's it.. I glad he want to be part of the show again,*realy*glad*..*he*is*the*guy*who*makes Formula 1 "different" ..

I would like if every one would say : Welcome back to F1 Kimi.. He deserve it ..

CNR
5th December 2011, 09:49
Raikkonen owns slice of Lotus F1 team (http://www.inautonews.com/raikkonen-owns-slice-of-lotus-f1-team)

Dec.5 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Kimi Raikkonen is also a minor shareholder of the newly-renamed Lotus team, according to reports.
Spain’s El Mundo Deportivo, and Italy’s Italiaracing, claim the 2007 world champion traded income and performance bonuses for an actual slice of the Genii-controlled team that is based at Enstone, UK.

airshifter
6th December 2011, 04:13
Raikkonen owns slice of Lotus F1 team (http://www.inautonews.com/raikkonen-owns-slice-of-lotus-f1-team)

That approach has been discussed in the past, and it makes me wonder if has long term aspirations of running or owning a team.

DexDexter
6th December 2011, 11:03
That approach has been discussed in the past, and it makes me wonder if has long term aspirations of running or owning a team.

Could be or maybe he wants to avoid a Ferrari-like situation where he is pushed out by sponsors and team politics. If you're a part owner, it won't be so easy to put you on a sidetrack.

DexDexter
6th December 2011, 11:12
Kimi Raikkonen impression done by Sebastian Vettel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3lACZy8p8&feature=player_embedded)

52Paddy
6th December 2011, 12:17
Kimi Raikkonen impression done by Sebastian Vettel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3lACZy8p8&feature=player_embedded)

He's a good lad :)

F1boat
7th December 2011, 07:02
Haha, the video is awesome...

airshifter
7th December 2011, 12:15
Could be or maybe he wants to avoid a Ferrari-like situation where he is pushed out by sponsors and team politics. If you're a part owner, it won't be so easy to put you on a sidetrack.

That makes sense as well. If they forced him out it would affect them financially.

I bet Ferrari still don't understand the decision they made.

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2011, 12:34

That is hilarious! :laugh: The guy's developing a nice sense of humor. Not too long until I also become a Vettel fan.

Although if only he would stop sticking that dreaded finger up after getting pole. :hmph:

zako85
8th December 2011, 03:11
By the way, has there ever been a year in Formula 1 history when every world champion from the previous 11 years was still racing?

AndyL
8th December 2011, 11:00
By the way, has there ever been a year in Formula 1 history when every world champion from the previous 11 years was still racing?

Or 12 years even! That's a good stat, and I'm pretty sure the answer will be no it's never happened before, not even close. In '68, '91 and '06 the previous 6 years' champions were all competing.

F1boat
9th December 2011, 07:20
Grosjean will ne Kimi's teammate. Great news! I think that I may be supporting Lotus Renault GP next year, I can only hope that the car will be good!

Dave B
9th December 2011, 08:06
Interestingly they'll still have to pay Petrov not to drive, similar to Kimi's own situation when he left Ferrari.

CNR
9th December 2011, 08:07
Grosjean will ne Kimi's teammate. Great news! I think that I may be supporting Lotus Renault GP next year, I can only hope that the car will be good!
Renault picks Romain Grosjean for F1 2012 | Page 1 | F1 News | Dec 2011 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/175381/1/renault_picks_romain_grosjean_for_f1_2012.html)

aryan
9th December 2011, 08:27
Ah! Pity, I was hoping for JV to partner Kimi at Lotus. Then we could have 7 WDCs on the grid, and who knows... maybe someone could tempt Mika as well with an offer ;-)

Koz
9th December 2011, 14:51
Ah! Pity, I was hoping for JV to partner Kimi at Lotus. Then we could have 7 WDCs on the grid, and who knows... maybe someone could tempt Mika as well with an offer ;-)

JV should buy a stake in HRT and race for them!
It would be epic!

jens
9th December 2011, 14:56
Regarding the signing of Kimi I can't help but recall the Heidfeld situation. I wonder, how would Bouiller react if Kimi faces similar troubles in re-adjusting to F1, failing to get the best out of the car/outperforming team-mate convincingly/whatever. In any case, Bouiller was quick to criticize Heidfeld and sack him. But I guess they would be more understanding towards Kimi, who is more marketable due to his huge fanbase. And Lotus is perhaps actually prepared to wait and build the team around him, which they were not in Nick's case.

BDunnell
9th December 2011, 14:58
Regarding the signing of Kimi I can't help but recall the Heidfeld situation. I wonder, how would Bouiller react if Kimi faces similar troubles in re-adjusting to F1, failing to get the best out of the car/outperforming team-mate convincingly/whatever.

Or the Mansell situation, or the Villeneuve situation...

wedge
9th December 2011, 15:18
Odd choice.

I may be wrong in 12 months time but Grosjean, Bruno & Petrov seem about the same drivers to me.

BDunnell
9th December 2011, 17:01
Odd choice.

I may be wrong in 12 months time but Grosjean, Bruno & Petrov seem about the same drivers to me.

I'd add Piquet to that list, too.

Robinho
10th December 2011, 09:09
I think Grosjean (and Hulkenberg for that matter) are a level above Petrov, Senna and Piquet in all honesty and have much more potential to go further in F1 IMO

wedge
10th December 2011, 14:21
Grosjean is managed by Geniiso so I guess Boullier has better room for maneuver for Kubica's comeback.

I think Grosjean (and Hulkenberg for that matter) are a level above Petrov, Senna and Piquet in all honesty and have much more potential to go further in F1 IMO

He looks better off in endurance racing. He has the makings of a top driver.

BDunnell
10th December 2011, 19:51
I think Grosjean (and Hulkenberg for that matter) are a level above Petrov, Senna and Piquet in all honesty

Several levels above Piquet in honesty, certainly!

Malbec
11th December 2011, 01:18
I'd add Piquet to that list, too.

Has there ever been a driver who has performed well in the second Renault seat? I suspect that just like the second Stewart/Jaguar seat used to be a poisoned chalice there is something about the Renault team that leads to a failure in getting the second driver to perform. Whether this is due to preferential equipment for the first driver or due to political machinations and a failure to extract the best performance from the second driver I don't know but I can't recall any Renault second driver sounding particularly happy. Imagine how desperate Piquet must have been to go along with the whole Singapore plan for instance.

I wish Grosjean well and am glad that he got it over Senna and Petrov who both showed that their best skills and assets are firmly off-track.

jens
11th December 2011, 08:26
Has there ever been a driver who has performed well in the second Renault seat?

In the period of 2002 - mid-2004 both Renault drivers were performing well, with the line-ups of Trulli-Button and Alonso-Trulli.

CNR
11th December 2011, 09:22
1 WTF do they let there drivers do stuff in the offseason
Raikkonen unhurt in snowmobile crash - Yahoo! Eurosport (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10122011/58/raikkonen-unhurt-snowmobile-crash.html)
Renault (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/renault.html) says Kimi Raikkonen (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/kimi-raikkonen.html) did not suffer any serious harm when he crashed in a snowmobile race in Austria on Saturday.

The Formula 1 returnee was reported to have fallen on an early run in the event and suffered pain from his left wrist, ruling him out of the rest of the weekend.
But the Renault team has issued a message via its Twitter feed underlining that Raikkonen was largely unscathed.

when dose the lotus name take over ?

F1boat
11th December 2011, 10:10
Very unprofessional IMO. I think that an F1 driver should focus on F1...

Malbec
11th December 2011, 10:11
In the period of 2002 - mid-2004 both Renault drivers were performing well, with the line-ups of Trulli-Button and Alonso-Trulli.

I was trying to think back that far, I don't think Button was at Renault then, by 2002 he had switched to BAR. But you're right, Fisi/Trulli was probably the only 'equal' driver pairing the team has ever had.

Koz
11th December 2011, 10:58
^^^ That is not cool. But I doubt that would hinder Kimi in any way.

I was trying to think back that far, I don't think Button was at Renault then, by 2002 he had switched to BAR. But you're right, Fisi/Trulli was probably the only 'equal' driver pairing the team has ever had.

I think Hekki and Fisi were well matched too.

(Add to that, Hekki is a damn good driver, except for his stint at McLaren, he has been very impressive.)

jens
11th December 2011, 11:31

Button was racing for Renault in 2002 and joined BAR in 2003. Fisi and Trulli have never been racing together in the same team. :)

Malbec
11th December 2011, 12:42
Button was racing for Renault in 2002 and joined BAR in 2003. Fisi and Trulli have never been racing together in the same team. :)

I'm clearly getting old, I couldn't even remember Heikki driving for Renault...

11th December 2011, 13:22
I hope he does after all that bad luck that was chasing him and breaking his car...He deserves his victory this season.

Dave B
11th December 2011, 16:06
Raikkonen unhurt in snowmobile crash - Yahoo! Eurosport (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10122011/58/raikkonen-unhurt-snowmobile-crash.html)
Renault (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/renault.html) says Kimi Raikkonen (http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1/kimi-raikkonen.html) did not suffer any serious harm when he crashed in a snowmobile race in Austria on Saturday.

Ow, imagine the irony overload if he'd sustained a Kubica-style injury :s

Bagwan
11th December 2011, 18:54
Given what I see as Kimi's character , and the issue with Kubica's injuries being fresh in memory , I would imagine that a clause allowing him do with his off time as he wishes being one of the first things that he would insist upon in a driving contract .

I see Kimi as more a guy who would want to be thinking about how he was going to get past the rider ahead in that snowmobile race than whether he could race it or not , according to the team .

By the way , who won the race , and did Kimi's accident occur as he tried to pass for the lead ?

And , whose first-born did they have to promise him , to get him to join , or does he own the team now ?

Malbec
11th December 2011, 22:50
And , whose first-born did they have to promise him , to get him to join , or does he own the team now ?

It was widely reported that his talks with Williams fell through partly because he had two partners who wanted to buy into the team. I suspect his deal with Renault is similar in structure and involves a partial buyout.

555-04Q2
12th December 2011, 10:21

when dose the lotus name take over ?

They do also have lives and hobbies besides F1.

kfzmeister
12th December 2011, 14:23
They do also have lives and hobbies besides F1.

They do and it's a tricky thing. Teams invest multi-millions in these guys and need to protect that somehow. Let's think about the most recent mishaps outside of F1 racing. (Montoya tennis injury :rolleyes: , Webber bike/leg, Kubica, now Raikkonen). These injuries at times make a difference whether a team/ driver can seriously compete/ win a championship.

I bet Lotus are kicking themselves for letting Kubica rally. How would they have ended 2011? A few ranks up the constructors list is worth millions.

I bet they were nervous as hell right after Kimi's fall.

wedge
12th December 2011, 14:46

Button was never liked by Briatore during that time.

Trulli pressed the self-destruct button at the 2004 French GP and ended up getting sacked.

52Paddy
12th December 2011, 21:03
They do and it's a tricky thing. Teams invest multi-millions in these guys and need to protect that somehow. Let's think about the most recent mishaps outside of F1 racing. (Montoya tennis injury :rolleyes: , Webber bike/leg, Kubica, now Raikkonen). These injuries at times make a difference whether a team/ driver can seriously compete/ win a championship.

I bet Lotus are kicking themselves for letting Kubica rally. How would they have ended 2011? A few ranks up the constructors list is worth millions.

I bet they were nervous as hell right after Kimi's fall.

From a team's point of view, they should not allow their drivers to risk their health in the off-season (or on-season for that matter). It's a risk that could ruin the whole plan of action for the team and that of the driver.

However, it's not fair to see drivers as commodities. In my opinion, the drivers should be given a free leash to use their spare time as they wish. They work hard during the year - it's only fair that they get to use their social life as they wish. If they themselves don't wish to risk their health by competing in order sporting events, then so be it. But I don't think I could sign a contract forbidding me to use my relaxation time as I like. Bearing in mind, of course, that I've never been in that exact scenario but I was told this at work once:

I had an injury to my arm which meant I had to take a few weeks off work. As the arm was recovering, I went out and played two gigs back-to-back. Unfortunately, this was too much for the arm to take in the recovery process, it seized up that night (a Sunday night before work on a Monday morning) and I had to call off work the following morning. When I went in on Tuesday my boss said "Well, Paddy, you'll have to quit playing gigs at the weekend." I told him to shove it (not literally obviously but he got the idea). There was no way I was going to let me day job stand in the way of my side passion and something that is closer to me than anything else I do.

janneppi
13th December 2011, 06:18
From a team's point of view, they should not allow their drivers to risk their health in the off-season (or on-season for that matter). It's a risk that could ruin the whole plan of action for the team and that of the driver.

On the other hand allowing drivers do something that is more dangerous than badminton can create a more attractive image for sponsors. Unless your main sponsor is a insurance company. :D

Garry Walker
3rd January 2012, 09:10
I had an injury to my arm which meant I had to take a few weeks off work. As the arm was recovering, I went out and played two gigs back-to-back. Unfortunately, this was too much for the arm to take in the recovery process, it seized up that night (a Sunday night before work on a Monday morning) and I had to call off work the following morning. When I went in on Tuesday my boss said "Well, Paddy, you'll have to quit playing gigs at the weekend." I told him to shove it (not literally obviously but he got the idea). There was no way I was going to let me day job stand in the way of my side passion and something that is closer to me than anything else I do.

And you did not get fired at the spot? If my employee had behaved like that, I would have fired him right there and then and thrown him out.

Tumbo
3rd January 2012, 10:37
I notice a distinct lack of forum members complaining about Red Bull allowing Webber to take laps on the back of the bike w/ Troy Bayliss at the end of last yr - or is it just a Lotus witch-hunt?

End of the day they aren't robots; accidents do happen; drivers have the choice whether they want to wrap themselves in cotton wool outside the season and team's have the ability to contract such that a driver is limited in what they can/can't do outside the cockpit to a reasonable extent.

52Paddy
3rd January 2012, 10:48
And you did not get fired at the spot? If my employee had behaved like that, I would have fired him right there and then and thrown him out.

Right. Well I wouldn't. I'd understand where they're coming from.

The Black Knight
3rd January 2012, 12:07

And you'd have had a fine lawsuit on your hands as well. Paddy's boss or any boss does not have a right to dictate what their employees in their free time unless it is enforced by contract.

Garry Walker
3rd January 2012, 17:42
And you'd have had a fine lawsuit on your hands as well. Paddy's boss or any boss does not have a right to dictate what their employees in their free time unless it is enforced by contract. If you reinjure yourself during sickness leave doing something your injured body-part clearly was not ready for, you will find I have a very good case going for me.
You will also find that I have enough experience in dealing with employees and if I want to get rid of someone, let's put it this way, I will get rid of him. It will also hold up in court.

As far as I am aware injuring ones self outside of work is not a sackable offence. If you were an employer and you did sack somebody, I think you'd find yourself in hot water especially if that employee had a permanent contract. In any case employers are aware of their rights concerning employee's and the days of sacking people for slight infringements is long gone. Gross misconduct is another matter, but even that is investigated and processed through the proper channels.
Again, I have enough experience dealing with employees, in fact, I have been in court for that (obviously I won). My point was that someone telling me to shove it will not spend another day working at my company, it is really that simple.

zako85
4th January 2012, 12:02
I would keep my expectations down in order to avoid a massive disappointment, which is seems highly likely. It is sufficient to observe Schumacher's uneventful return in 2010-2011. It's possible to draw too many parallels. Both former world champions left Ferrari after a not-so-good season. Both spent 2-3 years off and both return/returned to drive a car that can't fight the top three teams on equal terms.

jens
4th January 2012, 13:36
Both former world champions left Ferrari after a not-so-good season.

I thought their final seasons were pretty good. Just the team thought that this 'good' was not enough and felt the need to move on. Of course in Schumacher's case age was and is working against him too.

SGWilko
4th January 2012, 14:01

...and you'd be done for unfair dismissal. You'd've been within your rights to have written the first warning though - two more and they are out........

SGWilko
4th January 2012, 14:04
And you'd have had a fine lawsuit on your hands as well. Paddy's boss or any boss does not have a right to dictate what their employees in their free time unless it is enforced by contract.

True - but if you are off work due to an injury preventing you from working, you cannot then decide you can do 'other stuff' while you are off.

SGWilko
4th January 2012, 14:09
I used to (actually, I still unofficially do) work for a property chap who was renowned for sacking people. They were morons mind you, but I recall one day (we used to have a door entry key code thingy that would get changed when a bod got the boot) when that door code changed about 5 times!

He was a ******* to work for, I had to duck the odd flying mobile phone or coffee pot. On the flip side, loyalty was rewarded. I would not be living where I am now if it were not for this chap......

pino
4th January 2012, 15:01
Can we please keep this on topic (Kimi) thank you :)

driveace
4th January 2012, 19:45
Now then Kimi! Will he or won't he have a good year with Renault,this year?I think things have moved on,since he was here last,but I don't think he did too bad with his rallying,OK he failed to finish on some occasions,but to come in at the level he did ,on the WRC,as he did,I would have given him a 6+ for effort.So maybe he can turn some heads now back in F1,I hope so.

BMW_320_IRL
4th January 2012, 21:57
Really good decision from Lotus !
Kimi is still a good driver and he is important for Lotus for advertisment. One more ex-WC. Gonna be a very nice season 2012. If the Red Bulls are nearly on the same level of Ferrari and Mclaren it will be exciting :)

So long

Mia 01
5th January 2012, 11:40
Today, seat fitting and plans for some testings this month.

Raikkonen at Enstone on Thursday for seat fitting (http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/403737/Raikkonen_at_Enstone_on_Thursday_for_seat_fitting/)

Arska
22nd January 2012, 17:49
It's great that he's back in F1, because he's more F1 driver than a rally driver. Let's just hope that he doesn't ruin his career like M. Schumacher did after his comeback. By the way, how's his (Kimi's) NASCAR career?

Koz
22nd January 2012, 19:20
By the way, how's his (Kimi's) NASCAR career?

To sum it up:

The ten funniest things Kimi Raikkonen said in his NASCAR debut (http://jalopnik.com/5806620/the-ten-funniest-things-kimi-raikkonen-said-in-his-nascar-nationwide-series-debut)

ArrowsFA1
23rd January 2012, 16:25
Kimi Raikkonen has admitted he never expected to return to F1 - on the day he drove a F1 car for the first time in three years
Raikkonen: I didn't expect to return | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7450649/Raikkonen-I-didn-t-expect-to-return)

Koz
25th January 2012, 02:29
Raikkonen: I didn't expect to return | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7450649/Raikkonen-I-didn-t-expect-to-return)

Maybe it's his english, but this seem rather strange:

I had no plans for the future, I have no plans now for the future

DexDexter
25th January 2012, 19:34
Maybe it's his english, but this seem rather strange:

It's probably something like "whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see...." :)

F1boat
26th January 2012, 10:01
It's probably something like "whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see...." :)

Kimi speaks like a Jedi.

Mia 01
26th January 2012, 20:40
As some said, he is the most talented driver there ever has been in F1. But, then there is the car, 2005, a very frustrating year.

The Black Knight
27th January 2012, 09:02
As some said, he is the most talented driver there ever has been in F1. But, then there is the car, 2005, a very frustrating year.

Who are these deluded people? He is not even close to being one of the most talented drivers ever in F1. Kimi is supremely talented but he is not anywhere near being one of the greats and he never will be. We all know you're biased towards him but still, a little perspective please.

The Black Knight
27th January 2012, 09:10
If you reinjure yourself during sickness leave doing something your injured body-part clearly was not ready for, you will find I have a very good case going for me.
You will also find that I have enough experience in dealing with employees and if I want to get rid of someone, let's put it this way, I will get rid of him. It will also hold up in court.

This course of action shows just how experienced you really are:

If my employee had behaved like that, I would have fired him right there and then and thrown him out.

If you were really so experienced you'd know that you can't just fire an employee on the spot like you've suggested withou consequences unless they are a relatively new employee. As some of my Irish friends would say, I think you're talking sh*te! :D

The Black Knight
27th January 2012, 09:13
True - but if you are off work due to an injury preventing you from working, you cannot then decide you can do 'other stuff' while you are off.

Absolutely. But there's nothing stopping you from gigging once you are back to work and in full health and he has no right to even suggest otherwise.

D-Type
27th January 2012, 12:28
As employment law varies from country to country every contradictory opinion expressed could be correct [in the poster's country]

AndyL
27th January 2012, 13:41
If you were really so experienced you'd know that you can't just fire an employee on the spot like you've suggested withou consequences unless they are a relatively new employee. As some of my Irish friends would say, I think you're talking sh*te! :D

Top trolling. Trying to revive an irrelevant argument that's been cold for more than 3 weeks. And after Pino exhorted us to keep the thread on topic too. Well done.

So back to Kimi, he sounds pretty happy with his test in the old Renault:
www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/01/raikkonen-theres-nothing-better-than-an-f1-car/ (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/01/raikkonen-theres-nothing-better-than-an-f1-car/)

The Black Knight
27th January 2012, 15:37
Top trolling. Trying to revive an irrelevant argument that's been cold for more than 3 weeks. And after Pino exhorted us to keep the thread on topic too. Well done.

So back to Kimi, he sounds pretty happy with his test in the old Renault:
www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/01/raikkonen-theres-nothing-better-than-an-f1-car/ (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/01/raikkonen-theres-nothing-better-than-an-f1-car/)

Oops! I hadn't seen Pino's post. I tend to not pay much attention to one liners unless it's Mia. You'd never know what unorthodox opinion she might express :D

Mia 01
7th February 2012, 09:36
Kimi IS BACK, and he is better than ever!

Topping the timesheets at Jerez!!

Dave B
7th February 2012, 09:38
Topping the timesheets in the first half hour of the first day of testing, where teams are running all manner of programmes and development parts.

Don't get carried away just yet!

The Black Knight
7th February 2012, 09:41
Rosberg is currently topping the time sheets. I read somewhere that Kimi has done a lap but according to this
Timing: 7 february, tuesday. Circuit of Jerez, Spain. (http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php?rev=on)

he hasn't even done a lap yet.

Mia 01
7th February 2012, 09:51
He he. I know Dave but I´m happy!

"@StrangAutosport with some more Raikkonen analysis: "During his run in the 2010 Renault, two weeks ago, taking into account fuel correction, he was within two tenths of his best lap on his first flyer."

@StrangAutosport: "Kimi looks on it this morning. Taking no prisoners on the apexes and really pushing on to get up to speed."

Raikkonen has done the most running this morning, having started off with a five-lap run averaging 1m20.8s, then a four-lap run averaging 1m21.8s".

Mia 01
7th February 2012, 09:58
Fastest of em all. Kimi!!

"09:56 That's quicker than any time set in Jerez testing last winter, and puts him 1.7s clear of second-placed Rosberg.

09:55 Raikkonen sets a new fastest time - a blistering 1m19.670s.

09:52 Raikkonen blasts back out of the pits, and isn't hanging around... He flings it through Turns 3, 4 and 5 even on his out-lap".

The Black Knight
7th February 2012, 10:04
As much as I dislike the guy, it's good to see Kimi do some quality laps this early on, though I expect the times will plummet and only a few laps have been completed so far by any team. I hope Kimi can show some great performances throughout the year and return to the Kimi we all knew and loved in McLaren.

ArrowsFA1
7th February 2012, 10:45
Topping the timesheets in the first half hour of the first day of testing, where teams are running all manner of programmes and development parts.

Don't get carried away just yet!
:up:

A reminder:

Williams veteran Rubens Barrichello closed the Jerez test by setting the fastest time on the final day. His lap of one minute, 19.832 seconds was 1.242 seconds faster than Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and two seconds beyond Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull.

BBC Sport - F1 - Rubens Barrichello tops Jerez Formula 1 test times (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9396240.stm)
(Courtesy of https://twitter.com/#!/andrewbensonf1)

The Black Knight
7th February 2012, 11:43
Yeah good to see Kimi enjoying himself once more and putting in a few fast laps. For me he never lost his speed, he just didn't show his enthusiasm towards the end of his Ferrari time. None of us know the reasons behind any of that and I've always considered him amongst the fastest guys in the sport. I find it difficult to understand people disliking him when he is such a guarded person that no fans really know.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

It's his lack of enthusiasm I disliked. I respected him as a driver when at McLaren. I don't think he was the same driver at Ferrari that he was at McLaren. To me he never had the same raw speed for reasons I don't know. If you're getting paid millions to drive an F1 car then enthusiasm should be automatic. I don't care about his private personality,

SGWilko
7th February 2012, 11:45
Fastest of em all. Kimi!!

"09:56 That's quicker than any time set in Jerez testing last winter, and puts him 1.7s clear of second-placed Rosberg.

09:55 Raikkonen sets a new fastest time - a blistering 1m19.670s.

09:52 Raikkonen blasts back out of the pits, and isn't hanging around... He flings it through Turns 3, 4 and 5 even on his out-lap".

Watch your blood pressure!!!!

Mia 01
7th February 2012, 16:08
The day will be remembered as:

"16:01 It will be remembered as the day Raikkonen said "remember me?" by beating last year's best Jerez testing time before the day had barely begun - and then stayed on top till the finish".

Dave B
7th February 2012, 16:13
I'm happy that you're happy. :)

F1boat
7th February 2012, 16:26
He may mumble, but one thing is for sure - he has class. Yes, it is testing, and yes, two years ago Massa and M Schumacher also started with best times... but for now Kimi enjoyed a great first day. Well done for him and Lotus Renault. :)

Firstgear
7th February 2012, 17:42
The day will be remembered as:

"16:01 It will be remembered as the day Raikkonen said "remember me?" by beating last year's best Jerez testing time before the day had barely begun - and then stayed on top till the finish".
Don't get too excited. Remember - this is only testing, and it's only day one.
All we can conclude from his performance today is that: he will capture this years WDC and win all the races while in a gorilla suit, save some puppies from starvation, help a few ladies across the track at various circuits while setting fastest laps, and deflect the asteroid that the Mayans predicted will end life on earth, thereby saving the human race.
Just another day at the office for Kimi.

Mia 01
7th February 2012, 20:22
A link from today for Kimi fans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKlKzEG_TI

DexDexter
7th February 2012, 22:28
It was great to see Kimi top the time sheets but with the possibility of Lotus Renault going up for sale at some point in the future, I don't think its out of the realms of possibility they may have been show boating a little. Its clear Kimi has picked up his old duties rather well and we'll only really know how good he is on the longer runs when tyre management is put into effect IMO. Still nice to see the 'Iceman' back!!! :)

We don't know the fuel levels etc. but according to Mika Salo who was at the trackside, Kimi was on the limit and up to speed straight away. That's pretty good for a guy who's been rallying and having fun the last couple of years.

F1boat
8th February 2012, 08:48
A link from today for Kimi fans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKlKzEG_TI

Thank you!

SGWilko
8th February 2012, 10:21
One point to note here that the first day[s] testing is generally systems checks, and then aero tests to check if the cfd data and sim stuff correlates to what is happening on track.

Then the tyres have to be evaluated under different length stints/fuel loads.

Then the real set-up stuff can begin.

Long gone are the days of bolting on a new part, going out and blitzing a lap to see if it goes quicker, simply because the simulators are now so accurate!

MAX_THRUST
9th February 2012, 17:36
either way he went quick and that is good for the media around him, his own personal state of mind and sends out a good message to sponsors etc. I dont thin we will know the true pace of cars until Saturday Qualy first race.

Mia 01
22nd April 2012, 15:25
This was an epic Sunday afternon for me. What a drive Kimi, from 11 to almost 1 place.

And congratulations to Lotus, the car is almost as fast as The Red Bull now.

Kimi is back for real!!

airshifter
22nd April 2012, 15:40
I too was very happy to see Kimi do so well. I think he made it clear last race he was back for real, but they simply had a strategy that killed the tires.

I hope Lotus can keep the car strong, as it would be nice to see more of Kimi on the podium.

jens
22nd April 2012, 16:01
Well, at the moment this partnership seems to be working out fine. Car is good and Kimi is driving consistently to deliver points and if the opportunity arises, even more.

djparky
22nd April 2012, 16:53
have nothing against Seb or RBR but I was cheering on the Kimster today

Tazio
22nd April 2012, 17:21
Congrat's to Kimi and all of his fans. :beer:
Was I imagining things, or was Kimi down-right talkative in the post race interview? ;)

Mia 01
22nd April 2012, 18:43
Congrat's to Kimi and all of his fans. :beer:
Was I imagining things, or was Kimi down-right talkative in the post race interview? ;)

Think he was as he use to, but it showed that he was a bit disappointed.

Knock-on
23rd April 2012, 10:56
Well, Kimi is A.F.F. (Again my Favorite Finn).

He's got the Ferrari period out of his system and looks like he's come back stronger mentally and physically. I've given some critiism to Kimi in the past because he can lose motivation and he's not too good at putting in the testing which was such a big part of the old F1. Now he doesn't need to worry about testing and can just jump in a car, he looks great. He was sharper in his racing and pushed as hard as he could.

Well done Kimi.

jens
23rd April 2012, 16:44
He's got the Ferrari period out of his system and looks like he's come back stronger mentally and physically.

Indeed, after this quite incredible drive from midfield to second it looks like he has never been away. I thought before the season that these current regulations with fragile tyres suit him as in 2005, when there was big emphasis on tyre conservation, he was quite impressive. Perhaps this drive resembled some of Kimi's own drives in 2005, after he had started from midfield after an engine penalty on those days?

I remember Niki Lauda won third race after comeback in 1982, so Kimi wasn't very far from that feat. Let's see, how can he and the team keep it up. I'm sure many people are already waiting for Spa. Always something special is expected from Kimi there and already 4 wins in the pocket as well.

Wasted Talent
23rd April 2012, 16:57
........but it showed that he was a bit disappointed.

Agree, I have been very impressed with him this year, even when he finished second he was disappointed, so he is obviously looking for race wins

WT

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2012, 19:14
Brilliant drive, shame he didn't win. Had he darted to the right instead of to the left during his one opportunity, it may have worked, but that is racing. It definitely wasn't for lack of trying - hoping for more good results for Kimi.

10th May 2012, 04:13
I think, will be very difficult for him.

Mia 01
6th November 2012, 09:33
Kimi, what a great comeback. I´m so glad that you finally gave us a win last sunday.

Now I´m hoping for another one in Austin :D

F1boat
6th November 2012, 09:36
Yes, I would be very happy if he wins another race :)