PDA

View Full Version : Kubica set not to drive at the start of 2012

N4D13
23rd November 2011, 11:01
I'm surprised not to have seen any thread about this already, but Kubica has finally announced that he won't be driving at the start of the 2012 F1 season. It's a shame that he won't be there, but, on the other hand, it was hardly unexpected. :s

Robinho
23rd November 2011, 12:31
Pity, i hope this means he may still may a comeback in the future though

I am evil Homer
23rd November 2011, 12:51
Same...he needs time to recover and not force anything because to come back too early a risk further, permanent injury would be a dumb move. Although he might be relieved TBH given the car they produced this year.

So Grosjean has a race seat?

Alfa Fan
23rd November 2011, 14:02
I think he's finished. 13 months since the accident is a long time.

EuroTroll
23rd November 2011, 14:17
I think he's finished. 13 months since the accident is a long time.

Yup, I tend to think so too. Pity! He might have been a contender for the WDC, eventually.

I am evil Homer
23rd November 2011, 15:13
I'd like to see him come back but realistically the severity of the injuries meant it was always going to take a long time with no guarantee of a 'full' recovery.

Mekola
23rd November 2011, 17:23
I'd like to see him come back but realistically the severity of the injuries meant it was always going to take a long time with no guarantee of a 'full' recovery.
I'm afraid is as you say...

pino
23rd November 2011, 17:46
Very sad news :(

Bartek
23rd November 2011, 18:56
I spoke with someone from his inner circle, the possible return of only half a season if the team is still interested then

Pity, I have known Robert since the time of his starts for karts and I know how it must be hard but still keep my fingers crossed for him

Forza Robert!!

tfp
23rd November 2011, 19:40
Very disapointed :(

zako85
24th November 2011, 09:55
I can see Kubica having a seat in Renault in the second half of 2012. Just imagine another bad year, another weak car design, and drivers are blamed. One is thrown out for the "lack of leadership" and Kubica is then brought in.

Just being a little sarcastic here. I am sorry. I hope he returns.

BDunnell
24th November 2011, 12:33
And now: Manager denies Robert Kubica will miss start of 2012 Formula 1 season - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96418)

Dave B
24th November 2011, 14:45
I'm sure his manager is just fulfilling the part of his job description that dictates he should hype up his driver at any opportunity, but I suspect he's being utterly unrealistic. Kubica hasn't driven anything for a year, nevermind any sort of racing car, and despite his clearly massive talent I honestly can't see him being ready to take control of a Formula One car in 4 months time.

Bagwan
24th November 2011, 14:45
He's ready .
He's not ready .
He's almost ready .
He's almost Renault .
He's not Renault .
He's almost red .

Dave B
24th November 2011, 14:48
@Bagwan: surprised you didn't have any recommendations for the Renault seat. What they need is a driver capable of regularly finishing 10th or 11th :p

kfzmeister
24th November 2011, 15:20
His injuries were so severe, that a comeback at all would be a miracle, not to mention the same competitiveness. Look at Massa.
I've had a hip fracture and know what it's like to not be the same. With Kubica, we're talking about severing of arm-hand. Super important tendons, etc.,...
If he returns to competitive driving, it would simply be a miracle. I still can't see it happening!

Bagwan
24th November 2011, 15:28
@Bagwan: surprised you didn't have any recommendations for the Renault seat. What they need is a driver capable of regularly finishing 10th or 11th :p

I didn't realize they were interested in selling up , Dave .

I wouldn't put my guy in that team , the way it is now .

Pair him with Robert after a buy-out and yer talkin' .

But , Kubica and his man look to be seeing red in future . Don't miss that in my post while you're poking the bagwan with a good idea .

ioan
24th November 2011, 21:00
I can see Kubica having a seat in Renault in the second half of 2012.

There will be no Renault F1 team in 2012.

BDunnell
24th November 2011, 21:44
Red Bull are the official works team now so we should call them Renault I reckon. I can't bring myself around to the idea of calling the black and gold team Lotus as they are not Lotus. The best thing alround would have been to drop the name altogether IMO.

I think we should call them Toleman.

SGWilko
25th November 2011, 09:45
I think we should call them Toleman.

Can't call them Black Gold, so what about Fools Gold? :D

ioan
26th November 2011, 09:59
Red Bull are the official works team now so we should call them Renault I reckon. I can't bring myself around to the idea of calling the black and gold team Lotus as they are not Lotus. The best thing alround would have been to drop the name altogether IMO.

Renault will only be the official engine partner of RedBull, team will be RedBull. And will it be Renault or Infiniti next season?

jens
26th November 2011, 17:30
Renault will only be the official engine partner of RedBull, team will be RedBull. And will it be Renault or Infiniti next season?

I don't think the engines are going to be re-badged, so still Red Bull-Renault for the foreseeable future.

truefan72
27th November 2011, 08:18

its time to give up this fight my man.
Whether it was the Lotus from Malaysia or the Genii one right now. whoever has the name and official status is Lotus
I know it is nice to be nostalgic, but this is 2011 ad it is what it is

as to Kubica, yeah, its a shame, and I think his career is pretty much over.
But I will be more than happy to be proved wrong ;)

Tazio
9th March 2012, 12:52
More bad news about Kubica. These are not the kind of things Alguersuari, a driver and friend would say if they were baseless IMO.

"I think Robert is and was a fantastic driver, fast and complete. I am sure that he could have been a world champion without a doubt," he said this week when he was revealed as a co-commentator for British radio in 2012.

"At the moment the latest information I have about him is not very good," the Spaniard admitted. "He can not drink using his hand -- I mean he cannot take a glass and drink, so it doesn't look too good."
Maybe someone on this forum caught that radio broadcast.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-cannot-pick-up-a-glass-to-drink-alguersuari/

philipbain
9th March 2012, 13:37
I've been somewhat doubtful from the start about Kubica's propects of returning to F1, though I do wish him the best and hope he does come back, he is a driver of the highest calibre.

When I initially heard about the crash and the severity of his injuries my mind was cast back to 1990, when Alesandro Nannini (who, like Kubica, was a driver in the ascendancy of his career, had won a single GP and showed real potential as a major player given the right car) was involved in a helicopter crash which mangled his right arm, everything was re-attached in surgery but it spelt the end of his F1 career, though he did later have success driving in Touring Cars. Unlike Kubica, Nannini was a regular in the F1 paddock when he was recovering from his injuries (you may remember him wearing a bit woolen mitt over his injured arm) and I think Alesandro was probably very realistic about his prospects for returning, by keeping everyone in the dark, Kubica's team may raise false hopes that he may return in the near future, it's not fair on the fans, the teams or fellow drivers who may not be able to get signed if teams are hanging on to see if Robert returns.

odykas
9th March 2012, 16:17
Sad news but it was more or less expected :s

The important thing imho is to fully recover from the accident.

Bartek
9th March 2012, 16:50
Guys, i can't confirm this now but look here: Kubica chwyta byka za rogi! - Rallyonline.pl - rajdy samochodowe! (http://rallyonline.pl/index.php?1&modex=pnews&&s=36061)

i will try to know something about him

Mikolaj Sokół, one of his best friends said that this is absolutely true and yesterday it was not his first day in WRC after crash... :)

i_max2k2
10th March 2012, 05:50
Guys I just found this -

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.rallyemotion.it/&ei=h-taT5_TIube2AXe3dnpDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DRallye%2BEmotion%26hl%3Den%26client%3 Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dlya%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US :o fficial%26prmd%3Dimvns)

http://www.rallyemotion.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/533-rally-di-andora-kubica-operato-morelli-forse-salva-la-mano.jpg

I really really hope this is true, and these (http://www.rallyemotion.it/robert-kubica-torna-al-volante-test-sulla-fabia-wrc/#) guys are not lying.

ioan
11th March 2012, 12:06
Let's wait and see.

Zico
13th April 2012, 09:31
Robert testing S1600 Clio, 07/04/12- Robert Kubica Clio S1600 rally test 7.04.2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqheH1w1USs&feature=player_embedded#)

If it really is him it certainly looks like he's making progress.. maybe back in F1 next year?

I am evil Homer
13th April 2012, 09:51
Testing a Clio and driving and F1 car are two different beasts. i wish him all the best and would like him back but only if he can compete for hours and not be a danger to himself or others.

Robinho
15th April 2012, 10:19
it might not be an F1 car, but it is still not easy and having watched the video, he's certainly not lacking commitment, he was really throwing that thing about on what lloked like pretty unforgiving roads. I'd take that as a hugely encouraging sign for his recovery

donKey jote
15th April 2012, 18:06
Great to see he's up and about again :) :up:

52Paddy
16th April 2012, 11:58
It's the first major step in the right direction. What this proves, above all else, is that he has as much courage and determination to get back into the sport as ever. Even if he doesn't make it back to F1, I hope a successful career in the motorsport world materialises for him somewhere.