PDA

View Full Version : The Three Hours of Indy

bugeyedgomer
21st November 2011, 13:29
Grand-Am released a 13-race 2012 schedule, starting at Daytona Jan. 28.
A North American Endurance Championship will include Daytona, Watkins Glen, and the new three-hour event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Lee Roy
21st November 2011, 15:43
A North American Endurance Championship will include Daytona, Watkins Glen, and the new three-hour event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Those three sound like a "Triple Crown" to me. Hope they jump on it.

00steven
22nd November 2011, 04:33
3 of the greatest venues in the World.

bugeyedgomer
22nd November 2011, 04:55
3 of the greatest venues in the World. guaranteed to have acres of viewing space available to each and everyone of those who attend

nigelred5
22nd November 2011, 12:15
I always thought Road America would be one of if not the best track for true endurance racing in North America. I'd love to see a 12 or 24 at RA.

It's unfortunate that the road course at IMS wasn't constructed to utilize the backstretch and allow a track more like 3-4 miles in length.

Lee Roy
22nd November 2011, 12:46
It's unfortunate that the road course at IMS wasn't constructed to utilize the backstretch and allow a track more like 3-4 miles in length.

Agree. I went to all but the last of the USGPs in Indy (only races I've been to there). But I though it would have been nice instead of running the cars down Hulman Blvd, they looped them over to just before the entrance of oval turn 3 and ran them down to re-enter the road course around Mickey and Minnie. It would definitely be better for endurance racing. The current configuration is a little small in my opinion.

call_me_andrew
23rd November 2011, 04:53
I too had considered modifying the Indy RC to change turn 7 to a left hand turn and have the cars return to the oval in the North Chute, travel turn 3 and the backstraight backwards, and use turn 11 to reconnect with the road course in a right-left chicane. The only problem is that Hullman Boulevard drops down for a tunnel under the North Chute and it would have been difficult to construct something close to the access road without disturbing the golf course.

I also contemplated turning left on Hullman at turn 7, then following Shaw Drive and going through the hillside seating to reconnect with the oval on the backstraight.

nigelred5
23rd November 2011, 12:25
The IMS course design was obviously layed out to preserve the golf course, present minimal disruption to the oval and minimize the effort necessary to change over. If they hadn't needed to rebuild the Pagoda and pit complex for F1, they might have been more willing to change more. Has Grand Am clarified if they will be using the F1 road course or the Moto GP layout? I'm thinking they will use the MotoGP course and the open pit lane and run clockwise instead of the clockwise course since they will be set up for the Brickyard that weekend. What layout did they use for the test?

DavePI2
28th December 2011, 02:39
well i enjoyed the gp the two years i went, and I love the moto gp, been going 2 years to it now. I will go too the rolex race also , looking forward to it. I won't stay for the garbage they run the rest of the weekend though. Continental sports car series always puts on a nice race also.

call_me_andrew
28th December 2011, 03:25
The IMS course design was obviously layed out to preserve the golf course, present minimal disruption to the oval and minimize the effort necessary to change over. If they hadn't needed to rebuild the Pagoda and pit complex for F1, they might have been more willing to change more. Has Grand Am clarified if they will be using the F1 road course or the Moto GP layout? I'm thinking they will use the MotoGP course and the open pit lane and run clockwise instead of the clockwise course since they will be set up for the Brickyard that weekend. What layout did they use for the test?

MotoGP shouldn't even be running the MotoGP layout, it's boring as Hell.

FormerFF
30th December 2011, 01:00
Considering that a normal Grand Am race runs about 2:45, I have a hard time putting a 3 hour race in the endurance category.

Mark in Oshawa
30th December 2011, 03:50
zzzzzzz that road course puts me to sleep after seeing F1 cars on it. I just think it is too tight and too Mickey Mouse really.

nigelred5
30th December 2011, 11:42
At least they reconfigured 8-9-10 of the GP course. The double hairpins sucked! Teh amount of fans that attend GA races would never warrant it, but they need a course that incorporates turn 3 and the backstrait. to increase the track length for a real endurance race. Road America is the only road course in NA that is worthy of 24 hr endurance race IMHO.

Intersting early drawing from wiki of the Speedway prior to it's opening. Something like this would be a much better roadcourse at IMS.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Indianapolis-motor-speedway_1909-0701.jpg

DBell
30th December 2011, 17:06
3 of the greatest venues in the World.

As ovals, Daytona and Indy are 2 of the best venues in the world. As road courses, not so much. imo

FormerFF
31st December 2011, 04:30
As ovals, Daytona and Indy are 2 of the best venues in the world. As road courses, not so much. imo

Daytona does have a 50 year history of sports car endurance racing, but you're right, it's a little lacking in character. Somebody once described it as the world's largest outdoor dynamometer.

FormerFF
31st December 2011, 04:33
At least they reconfigured 8-9-10 of the GP course. The double hairpins sucked! Teh amount of fans that attend GA races would never warrant it, but they need a course that incorporates turn 3 and the backstrait. to increase the track length for a real endurance race. Road America is the only road course in NA that is worthy of 24 hr endurance race IMHO.

Intersting early drawing from wiki of the Speedway prior to it's opening. Something like this would be a much better roadcourse at IMS.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Indianapolis-motor-speedway_1909-0701.jpg

Sebring would be worthy. I'm not sure there would be anyone running at the end though. As Dan Gurney said, "first you go to Daytona and wear out the drivetrain, they you go to Sebring and wreck the rest of the car."