PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a fan and an enthusiast?

wedge
17th November 2011, 15:34
For the sake of argument lets make motorsports an example. Discuss!

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 16:02
7 letters is the difference..... :p

EuroTroll
17th November 2011, 18:01
An enthusiast is a posh equivalent of a fan, no? :)

Eki
17th November 2011, 19:11
What's the difference between when sh!it hits the fan and when it hits the enthusiast or the afficianado?

Firstgear
17th November 2011, 19:34
I may be way off here, but to me a fan is someone who enjoys watching, whereas an enthusiast also takes part at some (any) level.

Malbec
17th November 2011, 19:39
I may be way off here, but to me a fan is someone who enjoys watching, whereas an enthusiast also takes part at some (any) level.

I agree with that, but also doesn't a fan follow a particular team or driver while an enthusiast enjoys the whole sport?

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 19:43
I don't think the difference between a fan and an enthusiast is in any way connected with participation, personally. To me, being an enthusiast, as opposed to a fan, entails a deeper understanding of the whole sport, including something of its history. A fan is more likely to support a team or individual participant and not be so concerned with the sport as a whole.

Firstgear
17th November 2011, 20:06
After thinking about what Malbec wrote for a couple of minutes, and then reading your response BDunnell, I think I agree with you both.
And by that broad definition, I think a fan isn't necessarily an enthusiast. But it is very difficult for an enthusiast not to also be a fan.
Even if we enjoy the sport as a whole, it is difficult not to have favorites or feel more connected to some.

race aficionado
17th November 2011, 20:15
What's the difference between when sh!it hits the fan and when it hits the enthusiast or the aficionado?

sh!it hits what! where! . . . who????? :eek:

donKey jote
17th November 2011, 20:40
did you hear about the farming vehicle enthusiast who got a job blowing smoke out the window?

now he's an ex-tractor fan :dozey:

schmenke
17th November 2011, 21:42
Tsk Donks, that's exhausting...

donKey jote
17th November 2011, 21:46
surely no need to start venting your frustrations on anyone...

anyway, back to the ex-tractor fan...
not a healthy job at all, you know...

he kept coming down with the flue :dozey:

wedge
18th November 2011, 00:06
After thinking about what Malbec wrote for a couple of minutes, and then reading your response BDunnell, I think I agree with you both.
And by that broad definition, I think a fan isn't necessarily an enthusiast. But it is very difficult for an enthusiast not to also be a fan.
Even if we enjoy the sport as a whole, it is difficult not to have favorites or feel more connected to some.

I'd call myself a NASCAR fan though I have a great appreciation of its history. Europeans tend to be dismissive/ignorant about oval racing.

BDunnell
18th November 2011, 00:10
Europeans tend to be dismissive/ignorant about oval racing.

I'm not sure this is necessarily unexpected. Europeans tend to be dismissive and ignorant of many American forms of sport, and to some extent the reverse is also true. It's perfectly natural — they have their sports, and we have ours. I wouldn't expect a mainland European citizen to be bothered about cricket either.

markabilly
18th November 2011, 00:45
did you hear about the farming vehicle enthusiast who got a job blowing smoke out the window?

:

Tough job. Been easier if he had insisted that smoke just climb into the cab

wedge
23rd November 2011, 01:15
I'm not sure this is necessarily unexpected. Europeans tend to be dismissive and ignorant of many American forms of sport, and to some extent the reverse is also true. It's perfectly natural — they have their sports, and we have ours. I wouldn't expect a mainland European citizen to be bothered about cricket either.

Yes, I know. It was me being a fanboy and an enthusiast.

Well in Motorsport's podcast JYS said he's an enthusiast first and foremost which got me thinking whether the two were separate or not.

Zico
24th November 2011, 11:23
I don't think the difference between a fan and an enthusiast is in any way connected with participation, personally. To me, being an enthusiast, as opposed to a fan, entails a deeper understanding of the whole sport, including something of its history. A fan is more likely to support a team or individual participant and not be so concerned with the sport as a whole.

+1

ArrowsFA1
24th November 2011, 11:35
Is a fan a supporter, and an enthusiast an aficionado, or does that just make the fog thicker :p

MrJan
24th November 2011, 12:29
Is he etymology of fan not in the word fanatic? Therefore I'd say that fan implies a greater deal of effort, e.g a circuit racing enthusiast living in Bristol will happily go to Castle Combe regularly to watch racing, while a fan living next door will happily travel the country every weekend in order to see some sort of racing.

BDunnell
24th November 2011, 12:32
Is he etymology of fan not in the word fanatic? Therefore I'd say that fan implies a greater deal of effort, e.g a circuit racing enthusiast living in Bristol will happily go to Castle Combe regularly to watch racing, while a fan living next door will happily travel the country every weekend in order to see some sort of racing.

Strictly speaking, you are right, but I wouldn't read quite that much into the meaning. After all, an enthusiast will happily travel the country in pursuit of their passion too. I think of myself as an enthusiast, rather than a fan, of certain subjects, and I certainly travel widely for that reason.

BeansBeansBeans
24th November 2011, 19:33
It sounds snobby, but I see enthusiast as describing a more thoughtful, cultured sports follower. With a fan being more gullible, partisan and mouthy.

The former would wear a tweed jacket and fine leather driving gloves, and take a subscription to Motor Sport, whereas the latter would have a garish team jacket that cost a small fortune, possibly a flag and would get his news from Pitpass.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm probably closer to the latter camp.

BDunnell
24th November 2011, 19:40
The former would wear a tweed jacket and fine leather driving gloves

I wear nothing else while perusing this forum.

donKey jote
24th November 2011, 19:54
phew, I almost missed the 'else' :p

MrJan
24th November 2011, 20:21
phew, I almost missed the 'else' :p

So surfing the internet wearing just a tweed jacket and some leather gloves is okay? :laugh:

ioan
26th November 2011, 22:31
For the sake of argument lets make motorsports an example. Discuss!

A fan can rev much higher.

ShiftingGears
27th November 2011, 10:13
It sounds snobby, but I see enthusiast as describing a more thoughtful, cultured sports follower. With a fan being more gullible, partisan and mouthy.

Absolutely.