PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed young

driveace
16th November 2011, 19:02
Do ALL the young persons claiming unemployment benefits really want to be in employment? On television just now a hotel manager from Bradford,which has a very high youth unemployment rate,was told that 3 persons would be turning up for his advertised vacancy for an apprentice chef .Not one of them turned up for an interview. Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me,a few years ago,when he needed a parts delivery driver for his Ford dealership.He told the local Job Centre of his vacancy,and they rung to inform him that 8 people would be coming for interviews,and you guess correctly not one turned up.So he rings them,and they make an appointment to send a guy for an interview.The guy turns up,complained about the 8.30am start time,and when asked about why he left his previous driving job,he said his last boss,gave him an order he did not like so "I smacked him in the face" and got sacked.Thank you very much your no good to us either !

Garry Walker
16th November 2011, 19:12
When you have welfare as good as certain countries have, the young have no motivation for "dirty" jobs and are probably expecting a nice manager position at once. That is why generous welfare payments need to be dumped at once.

Andrewmcm
16th November 2011, 19:34
I look after students, who are supposed to be in training during their degrees to become professional Engineers. The number of times that they turn up late for meetings and don't either a) give me advanced warning of their lateness, or b) just don't turn up and don't apologise for their absence, is frightening.

It's not the same as being unemployed and not turning up for a job interview of course, but it implies that there is some form of cultural problem with a younger generation and being responsible for one's own conduct.

Mark
16th November 2011, 20:28
Unless something has changed since I was last unemployed if you don't turn up for an interview the job centre has sent you on then you lose your benefits.

BDunnell
16th November 2011, 21:17
When you have welfare as good as certain countries have, the young have no motivation for "dirty" jobs and are probably expecting a nice manager position at once. That is why generous welfare payments need to be dumped at once.

I don't think that's the problem — the benefits system is a nightmare to negotiate, and if these people are as lazy as they are made out to be, I don't see how they could summon up the energy to make the effort. Rather, if there is a problem, it is with the individual.

Malbec
16th November 2011, 21:26
I look after students, who are supposed to be in training during their degrees to become professional Engineers. The number of times that they turn up late for meetings and don't either a) give me advanced warning of their lateness, or b) just don't turn up and don't apologise for their absence, is frightening.

It's not the same as being unemployed and not turning up for a job interview of course, but it implies that there is some form of cultural problem with a younger generation and being responsible for one's own conduct.

The same is true in medicine, students just aren't willing to put in the same hours as before and end up on the wards even more inexperienced than they used to be.

Its difficult to tell though whether this is the product of a generational cultural difference or because changes in the training and education system let them 'get away with it'.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th November 2011, 22:09
Can we have a thread for the employed young? I've been employed since the age of 16 and had time to do college and university.

driveace
17th November 2011, 10:14
Me too Been self employed for 50 years,,and now at 70,I find it hard to stop working,so still do a few hours a week otherwise I get bored.How do these people ,who dont work stop the boredom?Because if you are working,and enjoy your work,then you are happy !

555-04Q2
17th November 2011, 12:08
No one wants to get their hands dirty or work for their money anymore, especially the youth of today. Everyone wants wants wants but they don't want to earn earn earn it!

Case in point...I was interviewing potential staff for several sales positions in my company and 90% of respondants wanted massive salaries, perks, company cars, no overtime work etc etc that were unrealistic. Now I pay very well and offer bonuses for targets met, but you have to earn it, not demand it, and especially when you are 21 years old and just starting out.

schmenke
17th November 2011, 14:32
Can we have a thread for the employed young? I've been employed since the age of 16 and had time to do college and university.

Ditto.

I started mopping floors, as a part time job, in a hospital cafeteria when I was 16. I continued this throughout most of my uni days. I graduated top 3 in my class, got a job and have never been unemployed, even throughout the difficult economic times.
I still have my original government-issued Social Insurance card (SSN to some) issued to me when I was 16.

But I still don't have a company car :( :p :

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 14:58
Perhaps if essential things like;

fuel, mortgages/rent, electricity, gas, public transport etc

weren't all so bloody expensive, wage demands needent be so high.

Unless there is a very real and specific reason why you are genuinely unable to work, then you should not be eligeable for any form of benefit.

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 16:24

Unless there is a very real and specific reason why you are genuinely unable to work, then you should not be eligeable for any form of benefit.

A very real and specific reason might be 'being unable to find a job'.

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 16:25
No one wants to get their hands dirty or work for their money anymore, especially the youth of today. Everyone wants wants wants but they don't want to earn earn earn it!

Case in point...I was interviewing potential staff for several sales positions in my company and 90% of respondants wanted massive salaries, perks, company cars, no overtime work etc etc that were unrealistic. Now I pay very well and offer bonuses for targets met, but you have to earn it, not demand it, and especially when you are 21 years old and just starting out.

A company car! That really is a joke. In fact, I can see little need for company cars at all except in certain circumstances.

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 16:30

I don't buy that. If you have the will, then there are ways and means to get yourself noticed, be seen to be doing the right things etc which will end up getting you in employment - no matter what the job might be.

When my father took early retirement from his job at 55, he found work - whether it be washing up, working at a dairy etc.

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 16:32

They are clearly not looking very hard.

Are they unable to work? If not, then tough. If there are no handouts, folk'll soon get off their backsides........

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 16:55
They are clearly not looking very hard.

An easy statement for someone to make looking in from the sidelines, I think.

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 16:57

When the alternative is to kick back and live off very generous benefits, where does the incentive to look for work - any work - come from?

The benefit system is all to cock, problem is, these benefit sapping wallahs have a big voice cos there are so many of them, and they vote too......

SGWilko
17th November 2011, 17:01

Take Jamie Oliver's example - recruiting for trainees. Only folk that could be bothered to turn up were foreign. And yet we as a nation have the cheek to complain that there are so many foreign workers over here.

Eki
17th November 2011, 17:08
And some employers take apprentices to get free or almost free work force, and when they have to start to pay for the apprentice, they kick him/her out and take a new one.

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 17:08
When the alternative is to kick back and live off very generous benefits, where does the incentive to look for work - any work - come from?

I think the incentive not to work at a menial job is probably quite a strong one for some people. It pains me that well-educated individuals are forced into this for want of anything else.

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 17:10
Take Jamie Oliver's example - recruiting for trainees. Only folk that could be bothered to turn up were foreign. And yet we as a nation have the cheek to complain that there are so many foreign workers over here.

It is a cheek indeed. My theory is that we are now turning out far too many university graduates, who naturally think that working in a kitchen, for example, is not for them because they have a degree. Time to make university entrance a more elitist thing again.

Mark
17th November 2011, 20:34
'Very generous' LMAO

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 20:52
'Very generous' LMAO

I think the full phrase is 'Very generous according to the Daily Mail'.

driveace
18th November 2011, 10:50
So if the councils are cutting back on services because they are having their allowance from central government cut,why dont we cut the amount that the unemployed are paid AND then get a lot of these unemployed working for the council,the government gets the dole money they are now receiving,and pays it to these people as a wage.That way these people are working helping the community,and still getting the same money as they would on the dole,but they then feel they are employed and needed?
OR do the guys who have NO solution decry this ?

Rudy Tamasz
18th November 2011, 11:06
It is a cheek indeed. My theory is that we are now turning out far too many university graduates, who naturally think that working in a kitchen, for example, is not for them because they have a degree. Time to make university entrance a more elitist thing again.

Like, umm, raise the tuition fee?

555-04Q2
18th November 2011, 12:09
Most people with fresh university degrees are unemployable. I know from first hand experience. Here's a scenario:

If two candidates come into my office for a job interview as follows:

One is a university graduate with a 5 year degree and no work experience...
One is a high school graduate with 3 years work experience...

I always go for the guy with experience as he normally doesn't need training, is productive immediately and doesn't have a sense of entitlement just because a piece of paper says he is now "qualified".

Most "qualified" people expect me to re-pay their university degrees with higher salaries than my "non-qualified" staff who make the same if not more money for me. Nothing beats experience, especially not a fresh faced snot nose with a piece of wrinkled paper! I normally tell them to use it the next time they go to the toilet :p :

BDunnell
18th November 2011, 18:41
Like, umm, raise the tuition fee?

Raising the tuition fees does not equate to making entry standards more rigorous in academic terms. This is what I'm talking about.

BDunnell
18th November 2011, 18:42
Most people with fresh university degrees are unemployable. I know from first hand experience. Here's a scenario:

I always go for the guy with experience as he normally doesn't need training, is productive immediately and doesn't have a sense of entitlement just because a piece of paper says he is now "qualified".

Most "qualified" people expect me to re-pay their university degrees with higher salaries than my "non-qualified" staff who make the same if not more money for me. Nothing beats experience, especially not a fresh faced snot nose with a piece of wrinkled paper! I normally tell them to use it the next time they go to the toilet :p :

Thank you for insulting those of us with degrees. I obviously proved eminently employable fresh out of university, as do many other people.

Do you yourself have a degree?

ioan
18th November 2011, 18:48

A company car! That really is a joke. In fact, I can see little need for company cars at all except in certain circumstances.

Like for example for sales positions?! :rolleyes:
Just sayin'.

BDunnell
18th November 2011, 19:02
Like for example for sales positions?! :rolleyes:
Just sayin'.

That was one of the 'certain circumstances' I was citing.

Drew
18th November 2011, 19:24

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? Just curious.

When I finished university I looked for a job at home. I can speak 4 languages and where I live most people aren't even able to speak English haha, so I assumed I had a good chance and that I had little competition. As it turns out I couldn't get a job anywhere, because I didn't have experience.

Unemployed people straight out of university expect a good wage and companies are unwilling to train new people!

donKey jote
18th November 2011, 20:20
companies are unwilling to train new people!

small companies maybe.
Ever thought of working for a German automotive company? ;) :p

Brown, Jon Brow
18th November 2011, 20:42

Surely it depends how relevant the work experience is?

How did the person who went into work straight after high school gain relevant experience without needing to be trained?

ioan
18th November 2011, 20:50
That was one of the 'certain circumstances' I was citing.

Possible, but you chose the one request that was legitimate for that job.

ioan
18th November 2011, 20:52
small companies maybe.

Agree, the big ones will take the promising newbies and have them trained for the job.

ioan
18th November 2011, 20:53

You have a rather shortsighted employment policy. :down:

Jag_Warrior
18th November 2011, 20:53

That might work with some professions and at some companies. But many professions require at least a 2 year/Associates degree to even get an interview. At the company I used to be with, at the aerospace division, even applicants for shop floor positions had to have at least an Associates to get an interview. And once you get into certain technical jobs (engineering, for instance), supervision or management, one probably won't even get an interview without a 4 year degree.

From what I read a few months ago, the unemployment rate for those with only a high school diploma is about three times what it is for people who have at least a Bachelor's degree.

Drew
18th November 2011, 21:26
small companies maybe.
Ever thought of working for a German automotive company? ;) :p

I was talking about the UK, not about Germany ;)

donKey jote
18th November 2011, 21:30
oh of course how silly of me... I forgot there aren't that many large companies left in the UK :andrea: :erm: :arrows: :p

Brown, Jon Brow
18th November 2011, 21:30

Most businesess have shortsighted strategy in general.

ioan
18th November 2011, 21:39
Most businesess have shortsighted strategy in general.

That's why most of them won't survive on the long term.

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 01:35
Unless something has changed since I was last unemployed if you don't turn up for an interview the job centre has sent you on then you lose your benefits.

Empty threats, the incompetent types who are employed by the Job Centre / Benefits Offices are clueless and toothless.

Food/Clothing vouchers instead of money - that'll learn em

In order

tax, folk seeing houses as investments rather than a place to live, loony green targets, trade unions

causing the rip offs

That would be against their 'ooman rights' you'd have Cherie Blair on your case

Rubbish, there's always work out there

There was a TV show where they showed long term British unemployed vs Eastern European workers, the Brits were bloody hopeless when they could be arsed to turn up. It is far too cushy to take the non working life choice.

I think the incentive not to work at a menial job is probably quite a strong one for some people. It pains me that well-educated individuals are forced into this for want of anything else.

Because they have Mickey Mouse degrees from former Polys, serves them right for wasting their time and my money.

So if the councils are cutting back on services because they are having their allowance from central government cut,why dont we cut the amount that the unemployed are paid AND then get a lot of these unemployed working for the council,the government gets the dole money they are now receiving,and pays it to these people as a wage.That way these people are working helping the community,and still getting the same money as they would on the dole,but they then feel they are employed and needed?
OR do the guys who have NO solution decry this ?

They'd not turn up.

You have a choice do work and get X amount or stay at home playing Wii humping your slapper g/f and smoking dope for the same amount, what would you rather do?

Raising the tuition fees does not equate to making entry standards more rigorous in academic terms. This is what I'm talking about.

But Nu Labour wanted half of the kids to go to Uni no matter how thick they were, just make sure they go.

You can't have elitist further education where only the truly bright kids can get in it has to be all inclusive. Former Polys for brain dead idiots.

Unemployed people straight out of university expect a good wage and companies are unwilling to train new people!

Because they are largely complete numpties who think they are bright because they got 10 A star GCSEs like everybody else and attended a former Poly doing a worthless degree.

Case in point, they can't even understand the new tuition fees, they are that stupid.

Thanks to Nu Labour.

Education education education - my bottom.

Andrewmcm
19th November 2011, 13:45
The new tuition fee system is reasonably complex, particularly when you factor in bursaries, scholarships etc.. The new admissions system is also ridiculously complicated and the goalposts seem to change on a regular basis.

The Unis which charge less than £9k will be seen as inferior. It'll be interesting to see what happens to those institutions which cannot fill their quotas and therefore have a significant shortfall in their budget. The new tuition fee system may well be a means by which lesser Universities are shut down by forcing them to the wall.

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 13:57
No it is not.

These idiots can't grasp the basics, they think they have to pay up front and they don't. They only have to start paying it back if they get a better paid job than the previous situation.

Andrewmcm
19th November 2011, 14:07
I assume therefore that you have a child who is about to enter University in 2012, or you work in an academic institution and are sufficiently well versed in the new tuition fee and student loan structure so as to be able to guide the students who come to Open Days etc.?

Feel free to have a read here if you're not: Applying for student finance : Directgov - Education and learning (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/index.htm)

I'm sure the 17-18 year olds and parents of prospective undergraduate students on this forum will be delighted with your blanket assumption that they're all idiots.

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 14:24
If you are a parent or youth and you don't apply to go to Uni because you are worried about paying up front then job done as you aren't up to Uni standards.

Tuition Fees - The Facts (http://factsonfees.com/)

Why shouldn't students pay for their education and greater earning potential (as long as they do a decent degree - if they choose a Mickey Mouse course then I have no sympathy for them).

Why should the dinner ladies of today subsidise the dentists of tomorrow?

Andrewmcm
19th November 2011, 14:33
If you are a parent or youth and you don't apply to go to Uni because you are worried about paying up front then job done as you aren't up to Uni standards.

So you're saying that if you don't have £27k to pay upfront for three years' worth of tuition fees then you don't deserve to go to uni?

Or are you saying that they aren't up to standard because they haven't read the regulations properly?

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 14:38
Or are you saying that they aren't up to standard because they haven't read the regulations properly?

Yep, if they are that thick that they think they have to pay up front then they clearly aren't the right stuff for further education. They should be working as a packer in a factory.

They only have to pay if they get a decent job after their course. And why not, education is not free.

Dave B
19th November 2011, 16:16
And why not, education is not free.
Quite true. Many civilised countries regard a good education as an investment which can pay for itself many times over during a person's life if they are given the opportunity of going on to a productive career. Why we seem to be heading in the exact opposite direction is somewhat of a mystery.

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 16:21
Quite true. Many civilised countries regard a good education as an investment which can pay for itself many times over during a person's life if they are given the opportunity of going on to a productive career. Why we seem to be heading in the exact opposite direction is somewhat of a mystery.

Yes if only say the top 5% are going to Uni and doing worthwhile vocational degrees such as pharmacy or dentistry not so if they are doing Peace studies or Sociology.

Having too many students at Uni has meant it is no longer affordable.

Robinho
19th November 2011, 16:36
When I left uni i took a sales job first and then started doing agency admin type work to get some experience in various places whilst I found a "career" type job. I was never out of work for more than a few days when I was looking for work. One of the admin jobs became a permananet commercial assistant role and I stayed with the company working up to a Snr QS over the next 8 years working in various offices around the country, and did a 2nd degree part time funded by the company.

The company went bust 2 years ago and I was made redundant, I had to fund the final year of my degree myself and was out of work for just a few weeks, I turned down one job and took a consultant position which I am still doing now. I could have walked into plenty of lower paid jobs had I wanted if I was desperate for the cash but was able to find something quickly enough that wasn't a problem. The Job Centre were pretty useless, but there was loads of work available to those with avergae qualifications for average money, yet from what I saw it was easier for most people to come up with excuses why they couldn't do various jobs and stay on the various benefits.

I am not surprised that it is tricky for young people to find work at the moment as there are less jobs about, but the fundamental problem seems to be that the out of work don't want the work that is available and don't have the absolute minimum basic qualifications but the highest expectations andfeel they have a right to something they have done nothing to earn. For sure there are some very concientious and hard working youngsters also struggling to find a proper job as they are lacking experience. For these guys I can only suggest they get out there and take agency work, part time work or whatever gets them in the door and gives them a chance to learn, to impress and to gain some experience. That unfortunately far too much for a decent proportion of unemployed youngsters.

ioan
19th November 2011, 18:27
Education education education - my bottom.

You're right a bunch of numpties with no knowledge will produce more added value than a bunch of newbies who know more than you can imagine, but have yet to get a bit of experience with crappy managers. LOL

MrMetro
19th November 2011, 19:00

Tuition Fees - The Facts (http://factsonfees.com/)

Why shouldn't students pay for their education and greater earning potential (as long as they do a decent degree - if they choose a Mickey Mouse course then I have no sympathy for them).

Why should the dinner ladies of today subsidise the dentists of tomorrow?

Whats a uni?

driveace
19th November 2011, 19:44
A University .Bolton I was not proposing that they get an option,that work or play they get the same benefit.If they work they get the benefit they get now plus the council pay them a amount as well,so they have more than staying and playing.Where as the ones who refuse this work would take a drop in their benefits.I also believe that if we said to school leavers that IF you are not in employment by say your 18 birthday,then you go into a youth training institute,that would be run on the lines of the army,but these youths would learn how to be builders,plumbers,sparky,s,storekeepers etc,at least they would be learning something whilst getting their benefits,AND maybe they would get off their buts,and try harder to get a job ,knowing that if they did,nt they were going to be away for 12 months at this youth training institute

Robinho
19th November 2011, 20:38
I've long thought that unemployment benefit should be linked to some sort of work for the council. maybe a very basic amount that is topped up when you do shifts on the bins, roadsweeping, as part of a road works crew, gardening/doing the lawns etc etc. the same money would be paid out, but something productive would occur. Time off allowed for attending job interviews, training etc. If you don't want that sort of job then you're more likely to accept or search for something different. If you really are not wanting to work then you drop off the benefit radar.

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 08:56
You're right a bunch of numpties with no knowledge will produce more added value than a bunch of newbies who know more than you can imagine, but have yet to get a bit of experience with crappy managers. LOL

Hard to tell the difference really, numpties with 10 A star GCSEs and a sociology degrees much the same as numpties with zero qualifications.

British Telecom - Ology 80s - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfKEzX9QLE)

Whats a uni?

You are kidding yes? Or maybe not...........

Bolton I was not proposing that they get an option,that work or play they get the same benefit.If they work they get the benefit they get now plus the council pay them a amount as well,so they have more than staying and playing.Where as the ones who refuse this work would take a drop in their benefits.I also believe that if we said to school leavers that IF you are not in employment by say your 18 birthday,then you go into a youth training institute,that would be run on the lines of the army,but these youths would learn how to be builders,plumbers,sparky,s,storekeepers etc,at least they would be learning something whilst getting their benefits,AND maybe they would get off their buts,and try harder to get a job ,knowing that if they did,nt they were going to be away for 12 months at this youth training institute

Would never happen, just think of the HSE crap needed to have a load of unemployable layabouts with chainsaws! As they get so much to not work it means they won't get out of bed for less than 15k or more, as if they did they are worse off re rent etc.

555-04Q2
21st November 2011, 10:27
Thank you for insulting those of us with degrees. I obviously proved eminently employable fresh out of university, as do many other people.

Do you yourself have a degree?

Yes I do, earned while I was working because my mom could not afford to send me to uni, she battled jut to put my brother and I through high school.

555-04Q2
21st November 2011, 10:29
If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? Just curious.

When I finished university I looked for a job at home. I can speak 4 languages and where I live most people aren't even able to speak English haha, so I assumed I had a good chance and that I had little competition. As it turns out I couldn't get a job anywhere, because I didn't have experience.

We manufacture large generator systems for hospitals, malls, airports etc. We also manufacture a wide range of custom construction equipment and distribute to the lawnmower industry etc in Southern Africa, Tanzania etc etc.

555-04Q2
21st November 2011, 10:31
Surely it depends how relevant the work experience is?

How did the person who went into work straight after high school gain relevant experience without needing to be trained?

They get experience by working for free to get the experience and then apply for a job with the same company or another one. We call the appys (apprentices) over here. Experience beats a piece of paper any day and I stick to that policy. It has worked very well for me :)

555-04Q2
21st November 2011, 10:35

Actually, it is a great policy. It has worked very well. My employees are also incentivised and are paid well which is why they generally don't complain or threaten to leave for another company. New employees are also able to be productive within a few days as they have some work experience. I got tired of hiring "qualified" people who took 6 months to get up to speed then wanted to take that experience gained to another company :down:

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 10:41
Sounds a bit like the American intern thing, handy for fit young gals who can suck start a Honda ha ha

But as so many school/college/Uni leavers are so dense I'm not sure I'd trust them working even for free. A good number of school leavers in the UK are illiterate and innumerate - Education education education - my bottom!

SGWilko
21st November 2011, 11:02
I seem to remember looking through the university prospectus when I was on a day release with my work, there was a degree course for 'Toenail Technology'.

I mean, really, you can see where the system has gone wrong....... :confused:

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 12:09
All Liebour's doing

University funding cuts: 5k 'soft degree courses' axed as tuition fees to treble in 2012 | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063978/University-funding-cuts-5k-soft-degree-courses-axed-tuition-fees-treble-2012.html)

Quango opposes crackdown on "Mickey Mouse" degrees - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7981792/Quango-opposes-crackdown-on-Mickey-Mouse-degrees.html)

'Bonfire of Mickey Mouse courses' expected in school league table overhaul - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8650351/Bonfire-of-Mickey-Mouse-courses-expected-in-school-league-table-overhaul.html)

even the commie Guardian

Stop funding Mickey Mouse degrees, says top scientist | Education | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/10/stop-funding-mickey-mouse-degrees)

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 12:48
even the commie Guardian

Stop funding Mickey Mouse degrees, says top scientist | Education | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/10/stop-funding-mickey-mouse-degrees)

So a scientist wanted more money spent on science degrees. Well, well, well, now there's a surprise :p

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 12:57
Amazed the Guardian even printed it, they love wasting taxpayer's dosh almost as much as they love paedos.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st November 2011, 13:03
Amazed the Guardian even printed it, they love wasting taxpayer's dosh almost as much as they love paedos.

What way does The Guardian love paedos?

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 13:42
What way does The Guardian love paedos?

Has it ever ran a campaign to introduce something like Sarah's Law?

No

Is it the paper of choice for those who defend paedos?

Yes

Is it the paper of choice for those who are so inept at their jobs paedos go unchecked?

Yes

Are the jobs it advertises the type favoured by paedos

Yes

There you go, case closed it is 'the paedo's paper' and should be burned to the ground and Polly Toynbee taken outside and shot in the head till dead.

janneppi
21st November 2011, 14:36
They get experience by working for free to get the experience and then apply for a job with the same company or another one. We call the appys (apprentices) over here. Experience beats a piece of paper any day and I stick to that policy. It has worked very well for me :)
Do you guys hire people who are still in university as summer employees during holiday season or offer a place to do their bachelors/masters degree project for the company?

I know it works well here, I spent most of my summers working in the shop floor either assembly stuff or working the bender or other sheet metal thingies. And I did my master work for a company project, as probably 90% here do.

Andrewmcm
21st November 2011, 14:42
Wow there are some sweeping generalisations on this thread.

555-04Q2
21st November 2011, 14:44
Do you guys hire people who are still in university as summer employees during holiday season or offer a place to do their bachelors/masters degree project for the company?

I know it works well here, I spent most of my summers working in the shop floor either assembly stuff or working the bender or other sheet metal thingies. And I did my master work for a company project, as probably 90% here do.

We don't take temps, nor do we offer temp employment to the likes of varsity students, but we do support varsity students by giving them free engines for project builds and free engine training guides and courses. We allow up to 25 free engines a year to the engineering students. It's amazing to see what they come up with. Most of it is just re-engineered technology, but every now and then we get some real original designs. It's fun to see the result of the original ideas :)

Everyone that works for me is a full time employee and is there to make me money 365 days a year minus weekends and holidays.

janneppi
21st November 2011, 14:54
We don't take temps, nor do we offer temp employment to the likes of varsity students,
IMO that's a bit short sighted. It's your company though, and it's better for me in the long run that you don't fully utilize your country's potential. :D

Everyone that works for me is a full time employee and is there to make me money 365 days a year minus weekends and holidays.Oddly enough, the company I worked for many summers did some it's best month results during summer time when up 60% of staff were those lazy college kids. Apart from welding, in my experience everything else is quite simple in most manufacturing jobs. *i know it's not so easy everywhere.

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 14:55
Wow there are some sweeping generalisations on this thread.

and ??

There has to be, impossible to deal with every unemployed young person isn't it. So you have to go with the majority and the majority are lazy, stupid and given too much free money - hence why situation won't be solved.

Vouchers instead of cash would shake the system up, but of course that would be seen as degrading to the poor little souls ahh diddums.

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 15:22
...the majority are lazy, stupid and given too much free money...
Where is the evidence to support this claim?

Deal with the facts...

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 15:31
Where is the evidence to support this claim?

troll troll troll

How many people have you interviewed for jobs recently?

How many long term young unemployed people do you deal with daily?

How many posts made by others on this very thread have you read?

You're not bringing anything of any worth to the discussion just trolling.

If the money wasn't enough they'd get a job wouldn't they, doh! QED they are getting too much if sitting around 24/7 is a viable life choice.

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 15:42
...You're not bringing anything of any worth to the discussion...
Bolton, you ask others to "Deal with the facts" and yet time & time again you have shown yourself unable or unwilling to do the same.

As part of a reasonable discussion I am simply asking you to support your claim that "the majority are lazy, stupid and given too much free money" with some facts.

Are you able to do so, or are you making another sweeping generalisation?

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 16:08
Why won't you answer my questions?

I am asking you what knowledge, experience etc you have of the average unemployed young person - so far you are proving beyond all doubt it is nothing / not a lot. Answer the questions.

and you never said what you did for a living either, come on answer the questions Mr Troll.

Can you tell me the difference re posting something to Dublin or Belfast would be from England?

Do you know how many grammes there are in a kilogram?

As the last 19 year old I employed didn't. And she had 6 GCSEs of C and above!!

A friend has a couple of bars so he employs a lot of young people, try a few of these for size

Australia is nearer Turkey and uses sterling

Don't know capital of France

Don't know who proceeded our current Queen

Don't know what shape a 50pence piece is

Can't change a wheel

Think that chips or Jaffa Cakes count as 1 of your 5 a day

And most of these are going to Uni FFS

But sorry I can not provide a link to the Guardian so must be making it all up.

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 16:15
Ahhhh, I get how this works:

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 16:27
...As the last 19 year old I employed didn't. And she had 6 GCSEs of C and above!!
A friend has a couple of bars so he employs a lot of young people, try a few of these for size...
Right, so it would be more accurate of you to have said "most of the unemployed young people I have dealt with have been poorly educated".

Out of interest what role were you employing them for? Was it as part of an apprenticeship? Work experience? Part-time work?

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 16:38
But surely not, as we are constantly being told by the Guardian that teachers are wonderful and exam results prove that!

But most of the things I mentioned I didn't learn at school, came from general discussions with those around me and at a very young age too.

Receptionist / secretary - so knowing how heavy something is and which Ireland is within the UK is kinda handy re posting something. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Still no answers to my questions, strange that in'it? :-)

ArrowsFA1
21st November 2011, 16:55
Still no answers to my questions, strange that in'it? :-)
Strange? No. Pointless? Yes.

Cheerio :wave:

SGWilko
21st November 2011, 17:00
which Ireland is within the UK

Which island, or which part of Ireland?

Brown, Jon Brow
21st November 2011, 17:08
Has it ever ran a campaign to introduce something like Sarah's Law?

No

Is it the paper of choice for those who defend paedos?

Yes

Is it the paper of choice for those who are so inept at their jobs paedos go unchecked?

Yes

Are the jobs it advertises the type favoured by paedos

Yes

There you go, case closed it is 'the paedo's paper' and should be burned to the ground and Polly Toynbee taken outside and shot in the head till dead.

Jesus wept!

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 17:15
Which island, or which part of Ireland?

North or South Ireland (Eire or Ulster yes yes I know all about the counties and all that blah blah)

It costs a lot more to Eire than Ulster as it is outside of the UK - see you learnt something today, no need to thank me.

Strange? No. Pointless? Yes.

Cheerio :wave:

Agreed it is pointless as you haven't a clue have you?

Bolton Midnight
21st November 2011, 17:17
Jesus wept!

Yes he did, as did Sharon Shoesmith when she lost her 6 figure salaried job, but least she got a 7 figure pay out afterwards despite being useless at her job.

Andrewmcm
21st November 2011, 18:15
Australia is nearer Turkey and uses sterling

Don't know capital of France

Don't know who proceeded our current Queen

Don't know what shape a 50pence piece is

Australia is nearer Turkey than where? It's a relative question.

The capital of France is 'F'.

The person who preceded The Queen was most likely one of her parents.

A 50p coin is the shape of a 50p coin.

The correct answer to the question is, as usual, based on the perception of the inquisitor.

Andrewmcm
21st November 2011, 18:24
North or South Ireland (Eire or Ulster yes yes I know all about the counties and all that blah blah)

It costs a lot more to Eire than Ulster as it is outside of the UK - see you learnt something today, no need to thank me.

Actually all of Ulster is in Éire. Éire is the Irish name for the island of Ireland and, at least constitutionally in Ireland, is the term for the state. The use of Éire to refer to the Irish Free State is not common in English. The 'South' as you term it is in fact the Republic of Ireland. Even then, part of Ulster is in the Republic of Ireland. Only 6 counties of the province of Ulster make up Northern Ireland.

Blah blah blah know all about the counties etc. - so it's ok to display a lack of education regarding something as simple as the above statement, but criticise the youth of today for their apparent ignorance? Is this a case of rose-tinted glasses clouding your view of your level of competence as a late-teenager?

MrMetro
21st November 2011, 18:31

Thank you!

Knock-on
21st November 2011, 18:54
:laugh: Stop it boys, you're killing me :laugh:

I'm sure Mr Midnight is really a radical Left Wing Uber Unionist who's trying to discredit small minded right wing factions and make them look inept.

You don't fool me Bolton you lentil eating, sandal wearing hippie :p