PDA

View Full Version : Izod indycar series announces first-ever china race

anthonyvop
10th November 2011, 19:32
IZOD INDYCAR SERIES ANNOUNCES FIRST-EVER CHINA RACE
INDIANAPOLIS (Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011) - A first-ever IZOD IndyCar Series race in China is among four international destinations announced today by INDYCAR for the 2012 season.
The IZOD IndyCar Series will race on a 3.87-mile street circuit in Qingdao, China - the Yellow Sea coastal city of 8.7 million between Beijing and Shanghai that played host to the 2008 Summer Olympics Sailing competition. INDYCAR also will sanction 2012 events in Toronto, Ontario, São Paulo, Brazil, and Edmonton, Alberta.

IndyCar (http://www.oversteertv.net/IndyCar.html)

Nikki Katz
10th November 2011, 22:01
I'll believe it when I see it. This is reminding me a little of ChampCar's voyage into Korea...

nigelred5
11th November 2011, 15:23
Yawn... will Chevy swap to Buick badges for the trip to China???

Now if they would accompany that announcement with news that Honda has reconsidered a Japanese round and they will host Indycars at Suzuka I'd be ecstatic. When China actually builds this bigger than indy superspeedway, Honda could bring the Indycars back to Motegi for an asian double header. lets start the rumours....... :)

In addition to Lotus, I hear they will finally land VW via Cosworth and return Indycars to Europe with races at Rockingham and Lausitzring... :)
lol

Chris R
11th November 2011, 15:33
In the same vein, I hear MG wants in, which leads credence to the Rockingham "rumor" :p :

please note I am totally joking!!!

sadly however, I will also believe it when it happens but I do applaud the effort - it is a market they should at least have a small presence in and they won't get there unless they keep trying..... so here's hoping....

DBell
11th November 2011, 21:08
I'll believe it when I see it. This is reminding me a little of ChampCar's voyage into Korea...

Korea? How about CC's own foray into China? The infamous internet press conference was what erased any doubts in my mind that CC would soon be toast.

IndyCar has a little bit more credibility than CC did of making announced events happen, but I'm with the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd on this one. When is IndyCar's internet press conference going to be? :p

nigelred5
11th November 2011, 23:12
Unfortunately, I've seen this movie before and I didn't like the ending......

bugeyedgomer
16th November 2011, 02:34
When is IndyCar's internet press conference going to be? :p

when have they ever had one that wasn't totally boogered. I remember wailing from the faithful on numerous occasions

anthonyvop
16th November 2011, 17:06
when have they ever had one that wasn't totally boogered. I remember wailing from the faithful on numerous occasions

They should take some lessons from the ALMS

IceWizard
19th November 2011, 22:22
Yawn... will Chevy swap to Buick badges for the trip to China???

Now if they would accompany that announcement with news that Honda has reconsidered a Japanese round and they will host Indycars at Suzuka I'd be ecstatic. When China actually builds this bigger than indy superspeedway, Honda could bring the Indycars back to Motegi for an asian double header. lets start the rumours....... :)

In addition to Lotus, I hear they will finally land VW via Cosworth and return Indycars to Europe with races at Rockingham and Lausitzring... :)
lol
I wish they would return to Europe. Would love to see Indycars at Rockingham again, or at Brands Hatch for that matter, though Rockingham would be a better choice given that the series isn't exactly overloaded with ovals at the moment. A shame that China can get a race as somewhere with no motorsport heritage while Europe gets overlooked.

heliocastroneves#3
19th November 2011, 23:22
Agree with you at this point. But then I would like to see them returning to Lausitz as well. :) I would definitely go to that race, as that's not that far away from my home xD.

Dr. Krogshöj
20th November 2011, 10:11
I wish they would return to Europe. Would love to see Indycars at Rockingham again, or at Brands Hatch for that matter, though Rockingham would be a better choice given that the series isn't exactly overloaded with ovals at the moment. A shame that China can get a race as somewhere with no motorsport heritage while Europe gets overlooked.

They are building their motorsports heritage now. They host Formula 1, the WTCC, the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, they have a growing touring car and superbike championship, they are building new circuits all the time (Tianma, Guangdong, Ordos). You have to start somewhere. Not to mention Macau, a lot of history. And from a business point of view, who can blame IndyCar's sponsors for wanting a race in China instead of Europe right now?

As much as I'd like to have a race at Lausitz or Rockingham for personal reasons, it's nothing more than a pipe dream. This experiment already failed when CART was somewhat popular in Europe, when the races were on EuroSport. It would fail even more spectacularly now.