PDA

View Full Version : Any Computer experts out there?

tfp
7th November 2011, 21:02
So... Heres my story....

I bought kaspersky antivirus software forr my computer this time last year. Of course you have to renew them every year, so I did just that tonight. This time however, I thought Id try A programme called Micro trend titanium antivirus or something. I tried to install it (on my fujitsu laptop).

All antivirus software(to the best of my knowledge) requires you to uninstall the old software( in my case, kaspersky internet security) and make room for the up to date software(micro trend titanium), all of the anti virus programmes Ive had in the past automatically do this for you, then you must restart the computer.

I did all of this, and now, everytime my laptop gets to the homescreen, it crashes and resets itself, saying that something has gone wrong and it is shutting itself down to save loosing any of its saved files.

And now its stuck in a never ending process of loading up to the homescreen, resetting itself and starting over again.

Ive tried looking for a helpline for pc world(where i bought the antivirus from)to very little success, Im on looking for a helpline for micro trend themselves, but Im not holding my breath...

So I was wondering.... Can anyone help me with any of this? Its getting really tiring using my phone to post messages on motorsport forums:-)

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

SGWilko
7th November 2011, 21:23
So... Heres my story....

I bought kaspersky antivirus software forr my computer this time last year. Of course you have to renew them every year, so I did just that tonight. This time however, I thought Id try A programme called Micro trend titanium antivirus or something. I tried to install it (on my fujitsu laptop).

All antivirus software(to the best of my knowledge) requires you to uninstall the old software( in my case, kaspersky internet security) and make room for the up to date software(micro trend titanium), all of the anti virus programmes Ive had in the past automatically do this for you, then you must restart the computer.

I did all of this, and now, everytime my laptop gets to the homescreen, it crashes and resets itself, saying that something has gone wrong and it is shutting itself down to save loosing any of its saved files.

And now its stuck in a never ending process of loading up to the homescreen, resetting itself and starting over again.

Ive tried looking for a helpline for pc world(where i bought the antivirus from)to very little success, Im on looking for a helpline for micro trend themselves, but Im not holding my breath...

So I was wondering.... Can anyone help me with any of this? Its getting really tiring using my phone to post messages on motorsport forums:-)

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

If it is a Windows PC, when you turn it on keep pressing the F8 key and boot into 'Safe Mode'. Hopefully, this will be stable enough to enable you to uninstall the Trend Micro AV software. If not, have tried System Restore (not system recovery which my father did and wiped his hard drive!)

If its a Mac, then Son, you're on your own!

tfp
7th November 2011, 21:43
If it is a Windows PC, when you turn it on keep pressing the F8 key and boot into 'Safe Mode'. Hopefully, this will be stable enough to enable you to uninstall the Trend Micro AV software. If not, have tried System Restore (not system recovery which my father did and wiped his hard drive!)

If its a Mac, then Son, you're on your own!
Its a windows, thankfuly:-)*

So if I run it in safe mode and uninstall the old (kaspersky) AV software, should it work fine?

I certainly dont want to make the same mistake your dad did:-)

Cheers wilko!

schmenke
7th November 2011, 22:20
Sorry I can't help you tfp, other than to say that I've been using Micro Trend AV for a few years now and have never encounted problems. In fact, I've just renewed my subcription and have installed it on two of our home computers. As you mentioned, I was prompted to uninstall the old version first :mark: .

Good luck!

pete c
8th November 2011, 02:22
hi, not an expert or even computer literate , but i had a similar problem when Mcaffe upgraded my anti virus software to the latest and greatest,it also would crash and i could only run my pc in safe mode.
the problem turned out to be one of the drivers (cant remember which one) , so i ran a driver checker program, that was a free down load,and updated all the drivers that were out of date
fixed the problem instantly and never had an other issue.
maybe not what your problem is, but worked for me
cheers
pete

SGWilko
8th November 2011, 09:12
Its a windows, thankfuly:-)*

So if I run it in safe mode and uninstall the old (kaspersky) AV software, should it work fine?

I certainly dont want to make the same mistake your dad did:-)

Cheers wilko!

To be on the safe side, I'd remove all AV software in safe mode first, then see if it will boot normally after that. If it does, re-install the AV software - if you are back to square one, make sure your PC is up to date on Windows/Microsoft Update. All my home PC's/Laptops run Microsoft Security Essentials which is free. I also use K9 web protection which prevents access to websites that are known to contain virus/malware infections/links.

BleAivano
8th November 2011, 16:28
imo its Kaspersky that causes the trouble.

have you tried this? Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463)

tfp
8th November 2011, 17:36
Sorry I can't help you tfp, other than to say that I've been using Micro Trend AV for a few years now and have never encounted problems. In fact, I've just renewed my subcription and have installed it on two of our home computers. As you mentioned, I was prompted to uninstall the old version first :mark: .

Good luck!

I eventually got it fixed, I was given instructions on how to back date it to its previous update(4.11.11) and its now working, I'm glad to say:-)

hi, not an expert or even computer literate , but i had a similar problem when Mcaffe upgraded my anti virus software to the latest and greatest,it also would crash and i could only run my pc in safe mode.
the problem turned out to be one of the drivers (cant remember which one) , so i ran a driver checker program, that was a free down load,and updated all the drivers that were out of date
fixed the problem instantly and never had an other issue.
maybe not what your problem is, but worked for me
cheers
pete

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. trouble is, I'm now hesitant to install my new AV software in case something like this happens again:-)

To be on the safe side, I'd remove all AV software in safe mode first, then see if it will boot normally after that. If it does, re-install the AV software - if you are back to square one, make sure your PC is up to date on Windows/Microsoft Update. All my home PC's/Laptops run Microsoft Security Essentials which is free. I also use K9 web protection which prevents access to websites that are known to contain virus/malware infections/links.

I did what you said last night, run the computer in safe mode with the intentions of removing the old AV software, trouble is, when I looked for it, it wasn't there! I guess the new AV software had already gotten rid of it? And then it started to crash? Hmmm...
I've got my computer to automatically update when the updates are out, I'm tempted to wait until another update is out before I try and install the new AV software? This way I can fix it the same way I have done this time (system restore) I guess? If nothing else, its a failsafe should anything bad happens again!

imo its Kaspersky that causes the trouble.

have you tried this? Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463)

Havent tried this yet, I think my Kaspersky has been taken off by the new software, so hopefuly wont need it!
Personally I wouldnt use kaspersky again, however a mate of mine used it also(it was one of those where you could install it on multiple computers) and his computer was full of viruses off rubbish that he downloaded(it took about 10 mins to start up at times :) ) and it cleared his computer up brilliantly!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I may be back on looking for more advice should the same happen again when I install the new software.....Wish me luck ;)

ioan
9th November 2011, 20:58

:up: Yep remove them both and then install only one.

To be honest both Kaspersky and Trend Micro are not worth paying money for them anyway. get yourself Avira, they have a free version that has done it's job, coupled with SpyBot and AdAware for many many years.

tfp
9th November 2011, 23:44

To be honest both Kaspersky and Trend Micro are not worth paying money for them anyway. get yourself Avira, they have a free version that has done it's job, coupled with SpyBot and AdAware for many many years.

Bugger, wish I'd known that before I'd bought the titanium software!
Nevermind, theres always next year :)

Roamy
10th November 2011, 01:13
C colon enter -------------- buy a mac then you won't need virus programs

Mark
11th November 2011, 20:52
You don't need virus program's for Windows either. Never used them myself never had any problems.

Valve Bounce
12th November 2011, 00:40

My wife's laptop uses Avira - it's free and it's great. I use McAfee simply because it came with the PC from Dell, and I received a very good discount for a three year subscription extension from McAfee. But yeah! Avira and AVG are very good free anti-virus programs.

If you want in depth advice on anything to do with computers, send a PM to Daniel.

CNR
19th November 2011, 07:27
You don't need virus program's for Windows either. Never used them myself never had any problems.

it will come a day when something will trigger a virus
the microsoft security essentials is good for free

at least get spybot
Download Spybot Software or Spyware Doctor « Download Top Software Utilities (http://softdownloads.com/spybot-and-spyware-doctor/?gclid=CNnd_oqWwqwCFQwY4god7noWpw)

CaptainRaiden
19th November 2011, 08:05

:laugh: People like this deserve to get a virus.

CNR
19th November 2011, 10:36
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/284124-myth-busting-is-linux-immune-to-viruses