PDA

View Full Version : Who will take over Dan Wheldon's ride for AA?

00steven
1st November 2011, 06:22
After the death of Dan all of us have been honoring his life and remembering him. A few days ago it dawned on me that there is now a very good ride open in the wake of Dan's passing.

From what I've heard Ryan Briscoe isn't a sure thing to stay with Penske and may be let go. Justin Wilson is also shopping around and has had discussions with Andretti.

I think Briscoe will end up with Andretti because he can contend at Indy, certainly not like Dan could but at this point it seems that they need to make the most out of the situation.
It would be interesting to see what Justin could do at the road courses with a good car though.

heliocastroneves#3
1st November 2011, 16:04
I hope they let Conway stay. Give him a second chance.... Because, after all he still managed to win his first race in Long Beach and it wasn't even a race where everything went alright for him. If Conway won't stay, then I would choice for Justin Wilson. He's a very good driver, especially on road courses.

DBell
1st November 2011, 16:27
I think the obvious choice is Jos Verstappen. I'm sure it'll be on his website soon that he's close to a deal with IndyCar. It's been a while since we've heard a "Jos is close to..." rumor, so I'll get the ball rolling right now, for old times sake.

Seriously, I would like to see Justin get a decent, stable ride for a change. Sebastien Bourdais might be an interesting choice, if he's interested in a full time ride. I'm not sure if he plans to continue with Peugeot at Le Mans. Go Daddy will be the driving force in who gets hired, imo.

Chris R
1st November 2011, 16:36
If GoDaddy has the final ay, I am not sure there is anyone left they will be good with - Danica had a following, Dan had personality, name recognition, and was a good driver... Nobody else really fits the bill - except maybe Marco (mostly because of the name recognition). I say look for a reshuffle to a two car team with RHR and Marco with the sponsors they have lined up split between the two with Marco as the GoDaddy guy........

heliocastroneves#3
1st November 2011, 21:01
If Jos Verstappen comes in IndyCar, then I'll definitely support him. He was my hero when he drove F1.... Of course because he's a dutchie, the man was very talented as well. Even in the awful cars he had to drive with in F1, he showed great things. Would love it to see him driving IndyCar for a team like Andretti Autosport.

Chris R
1st November 2011, 21:07
If Jos Verstappen comes in IndyCar, then I'll definitely support him. He was my hero when he drove F1.... Of course because he's a dutchie, the man was very talented as well. Even in the awful cars he had to drive with in F1, he showed great things. Would love it to see him driving IndyCar for a team like Andretti Autosport.

I know you are fairly new to the sport - the "jos the boss" thing is a bit of an inside joke - for 4 or 5 years running Jos was "coming to America" with big bucks etc. every off season - lots of talk never any action.... Can't say I have an opinion of him as a driver - but he sure seemed to like to play mind games with Champcar.....

gm99
1st November 2011, 21:24
I'd like to see JR Hildebrand get the ride, he could do really well in a competitive car. Simona de Silvestro would be an interesting choice as well.
As for Conway: Apart from the Long Beach victory, he did nothing at all to impress me. His performance on the ovals, where AA usually had a strong car, was appalling (especially his DNQ at Indy).

Anubis
1st November 2011, 22:22
I'd like to see JR Hildebrand get the ride, he could do really well in a competitive car. Simona de Silvestro would be an interesting choice as well.
As for Conway: Apart from the Long Beach victory, he did nothing at all to impress me. His performance on the ovals, where AA usually had a strong car, was appalling (especially his DNQ at Indy).

To be fair, AA were pretty shocking all round at Indy, I don't think you can single Conway out there. I think he's better than some give him credit for, but he is very hot and cold, I'll accept that. Personally, I'd love to see Wilson in the seat, as he'd be a serious contender in decent machinery. All depends how he looks in a swimsuit I guess.

nigelred5
2nd November 2011, 00:33
I know you are fairly new to the sport - the "jos the boss" thing is a bit of an inside joke - for 4 or 5 years running Jos was "coming to America" with big bucks etc. every off season - lots of talk never any action.... Can't say I have an opinion of him as a driver - but he sure seemed to like to play mind games with Champcar.....

I think a lot of that had to do with the Dutch money that was flying around Champcar for a few years. It wasn't just Champcar. The "boss" used to stir up the F1 rumour mill every couple months for years. I think Jacques Villeneuve sort of took over his place the past few years. I'm suprized we haven't heard rumors of the Boss returning to F1 for the race in New Jersey. I guess even Jos knows there's only one Boss in New Jersey. ;)

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd November 2011, 09:26
I can see Ryan Hunter-Reay driving the GoDaddy car, I think he fits the niche of a marketable winner more than Justin Wilson. In turn, Wilson might land the DHL/Sun Drop/Circle K drive if those sponsors stick around. Hildebrand, I think he already signed with Panther for 2012. Hinch would be an interesting option but I doubt AA will go after him.

I am evil Homer
2nd November 2011, 12:21
Hinch or Simona would be my choices

heliocastroneves#3
2nd November 2011, 16:23

Hmmm, I'm not that new... Maybe compared to the guys who already follow the sport since the 70s or 80s, I am.... But I've watched almost every race since 1996. ;)

I don't believe in the coming of Verstappen as well, I would rather believe in Doornbos... But if I'm realistic, I hope they let Conway stay. I would also like to see de Silvestro in that car, just immediately taking two wins which already would make her more successful in three years, then Danica was in seven years.

edv
3rd November 2011, 14:55
I'd like to see Hinch in that seat.
I also agree it'd be interesting to see how Simona would perform in the equivalent of Danica's ride.
What about Tony Kanaan? Any chance he would return to AA? Or are those bridges burned?

numanoid
3rd November 2011, 15:42
I'd like to see Hinch in that seat.
I also agree it'd be interesting to see how Simona would perform in the equivalent of Danica's ride.
What about Tony Kanaan? Any chance he would return to AA? Or are those bridges burned?

I'd wager those are burned, exploded and sunk.

EagleEye
3rd November 2011, 21:28
And, Robert Dornboss was another dutchie who did the "boss the jos" thing as well. Each year, he was in for a top ride...according to him.

Nikki Katz
3rd November 2011, 21:58
Conway had an outstanding start to the season, outperforming all of his vastly more experienced teammates. But after that win, which was quite early in the year, he became totally anonymous.

As a fellow Brit I'd rather see Wilson get the nod over Conway. Conway's good but he's no Dan. If they keep a 4th car then maybe then...

BriscoeFan
4th November 2011, 15:56
There were rumors when Ryan Briscoe's return to Penkse was in jeopardy and after Wheldon's death, that AA was eying him for a ride in the GoDaddy car or Marco's ride(with Marco shifting to GoDaddy). But obviously with the news that RB is back at Penske for another year cancels any shot that AA had of getting RB.
Might have been an interesting combination.