PDA

View Full Version : why continue the charade???

mac miller
31st October 2011, 12:30
It is obvious the current type of drivers and "fans in the stands" no longer have the stomach and heart for open wheel racing. The new "99c hot wheels" cartoon "super safety" specracer isn't even close to open wheel. What indy car racing has turned into is a complete "slap in the face" to the great cars and drivers of real open wheel racing.
It is time to shut it down for a year or two to give the engineers time to come up with new "super safety specracers" complete with fully enclose wheels, roll cages and canopies.
It also gives the track owners, who are breathlessly standing in line to schedule an indy car race, time to
tear out all of their millions of dollars of dangerous, obsolete catch fencing and replace it with millions of dollars of "as yet unknown technology" new "super safety" catch fencing.
The wealthy young foreign thrill seekers will be able to drive race cars without the fear of getting hurt and the "fans in the stands" will be able to sit serenely in their seats, without the fear of getting clobbered by flying race cars and parts. This what the current drivers and "fans in the stands" want and deserve!

safety,smafety!!!

mac miller in INDY

garyshell
31st October 2011, 18:15
What a truly callous comment. No one is calling for any of what you mention, what is being called for is to learn from what happened and see what can possibly be done to prevent it in the future.

And yes I saw the smiley wink on the message, but it makes it no less callous.

Gary

anthonyvop
31st October 2011, 23:15
What a truly callous comment. No one is calling for any of what you mention, what is being called for is to learn from what happened and see what can possibly be done to prevent it in the future.

And yes I saw the smiley wink on the message, but it makes it no less callous.

Gary

I believe he was 1/2 serious and 1/2 sarcastic

Bob Riebe
31st October 2011, 23:47
see what can possibly be done to prevent it in the future.

Gary

Yep since too many fans are emotionally unstable, do the Swiss move, shut it down. No more deaths.
Brilliant.

garyshell
1st November 2011, 01:55
see what can possibly be done to prevent it in the future.

Yep since too many fans are emotionally unstable, do the Swiss move, shut it down. No more deaths.
Brilliant.

What exactly in my quote, or anything I have EVER said on this or any forum, would even begin to suggest the idea of shutting it down? Totally ridiculous.

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
1st November 2011, 16:07
People should accept that in motorsports sometimes someone will lose it's life. Of course you prefer it doesn't happen, but sadly it DOES happen sometimes.

Don't overreact in safety, look at F1... They overreact in safety and it's the most boring parade I've ever seen, even DTM seems to be more spectacular.

Bob Riebe
2nd November 2011, 05:13
What exactly in my quote, or anything I have EVER said on this or any forum, would even begin to suggest the idea of shutting it down? Totally ridiculous.

Gary

It is racing, it is racing first and safety second. ANY driver who cannot handle that fact should not be there, and any organization that puts safety concern over the spectacle of racing will be out of business.
Bumper cars are boring and that is what you , and some others here, seem to want sanctions to use.

I am surprised though, that no one here has suggested simple cages as used on sprint cars and super modifieds ( which are extremely fast on one mile ovals) for safety purposes.
Instead there are rather bone-headed suggestions for "canopies." Good grief cage dimensions must meet standards to allow drivers to be removed, which compromises their "safety" factor, but to suggest a canopy. That is simply stupid.

garyshell
2nd November 2011, 06:10
I agree that the canopy idea has no merit but I don't agree that what I am calling for is "bumper cars". What I am calling for as changes to where we are now, is more horsepower and less downforce. I have no idea how you get bumper cars out of that.

Gary