PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Direction Circuits

Rollo
30th October 2011, 23:41
I was playing a motor racing sim (TOCA Race Driver 3) and I found a few nice patches with circuits that had the direction of travel reversed.
It got me think that all sorts of tracks might be fun or different if races went round the other way for a change.

Brands Hatch immediately springs to mind with cars having to go upwards towards Druids and again the big climb through Paddock Hill bend. I think that the noise of cars under power through there would be brilliant.

Any other candidates?

nigelred5
31st October 2011, 00:30
I've often though about that, however the safety features of most modern circuits are built so specifically for a single direction of travel, it would be pretty risky at the least.

Not that Indy was a good roadcourse, however I thought the anticlockwise MotoGP course worked better than the clockwise F1 circuit.

Mark
31st October 2011, 08:51
Impractical unfortunately. Everything from the gravel traps, the layout of the corners themselves, the holes in the catch fencing, the marshals, the television camera positions, the pit lane etc are all set up for a single direction.

The only way you could do it is if the circuit was built that way from the ground up.

Lousada
31st October 2011, 11:11
I wonder why they never did reverse oval races??

SGWilko
31st October 2011, 11:18

They've only got one reverse gear........

Rollo
31st October 2011, 11:42

You can go both ways on an oval:
AUSCAR/NASCAR at the Calder Park Thunderdome - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqFLGUZ0dw)

wedge
31st October 2011, 14:44
In the mid-late 90s the NASCAR influenced Eurocar series raced the reverse direction on a number of circuits around the UK.

Sonic
31st October 2011, 16:56
I may be wrong but I believe Knockhill once held a licence for racing in both directions...not that I ever experienced it the other way around mind :eek: it was mental enough the correct way round.

Also, if memory serves, when Brands was little more than a dirt surfaced motorbike track, they did run anticlockwise on what is now the Indy circuit but without the drag up to Druids.

BDunnell
31st October 2011, 18:39
When it was intended to stage a fourth TOCA Shoot-out touring car race in 1995, there was a report at the time that it was hoped to run it in the reverse direction around Donington. Sadly, the event was cancelled.

Allyc85
31st October 2011, 18:42
I may be wrong but I believe Knockhill once held a licence for racing in both directions...not that I ever experienced it the other way around mind :eek: it was mental enough the correct way round.

It still does. Motorsport news reported a few weeks ago that they are considering running the track in the opposite direction next year for the BTCC round!

Malbec
31st October 2011, 18:57
Ignoring all the safety aspects like run offs it would be interesting to see how challenging some of the greatest corners in the world would be the other way.

What would it be like climbing up the corkscrew at Laguna Seca? Flowing down Eau Rouge at Spa? Going the reverse way through the tightening S at Suzuka?

inimitablestoo
31st October 2011, 19:16
Knockhill's reverse direction races were a happy accident - Scotland needed a bit of variety after the sudden closure of Ingliston before the 1995 season, so a few of the local meetings were run the "wrong" way round.

Although they haven't run the road course the other way round, Mallory Park runs anti-clockwise when they use the oval. Although the "wrong" direction, it does make more sense in some ways, as the start/finish line is actually alongside the pit lane - as with most circuits - whereas it comes before the pit entry on the "proper" layout.

BDunnell
31st October 2011, 19:22
Knockhill's reverse direction races were a happy accident - Scotland needed a bit of variety after the sudden closure of Ingliston before the 1995 season, so a few of the local meetings were run the "wrong" way round.

I didn't know that before — thanks for the info!

wedge
1st November 2011, 00:19
What would it be like climbing up the corkscrew at Laguna Seca? Flowing down Eau Rouge at Spa? Going the reverse way through the tightening S at Suzuka?

Bruno Senna filmed himself with a Blackberry going down Eau Rouge the wrong way.

Bruno Senna On Board R30 during WSR at Spa Francorchamps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7v4UUaML0)

Sonic
1st November 2011, 09:37
Bruno Senna filmed himself with a Blackberry going down Eau Rouge the wrong way.

Bruno Senna On Board R30 during WSR at Spa Francorchamps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7v4UUaML0)

:D

inimitablestoo
1st November 2011, 19:38
Of course, there's also the case of Misano, which changed direction after redevelopment of the circuit. I think Brands Hatch's very early meetings were run in the reverse of the current direction too.

intheway
4th November 2011, 10:22

That is seriously one of the coolest YouTube videos I have ever seen.