PDA

View Full Version : Ex F1 co-owner mused sacking Ecclestone - witness

CNR
27th October 2011, 11:14
Ex F1 co-owner mused sacking Ecclestone - witness (http://www.inautonews.com/ex-f1-co-owner-mused-sacking-ecclestone-witness)

Oct.27 (GMM/Inautonews.com) German bank and former F1 shareholder BayernLB contemplated dismissing Bernie Ecclestone six years ago, it emerged during Gerhard Gribkowsky’s corruption trial this week.
The trial, with Briton Ecclestone set to appear as a witness next month, surrounds the F1 chief executive’s suspect payment of millions to Gribkowsky, who was then in charge of BayernLB’s F1 share.

Kevincal
27th October 2011, 19:25
to bad it didnt happen Bernie is a cancer to f1.

AndyL
28th October 2011, 10:26
This would be a good one for the "what might have been" thread!

ioan
28th October 2011, 11:51

:up:

Knock-on
28th October 2011, 12:01
Bernie has had a pivotal and defining impact on F1, both for good and bad.

The sport has changed under his machination but not all for the good and not all in a way that has worked out for the best of F1. However, the fact remains that he has galvanised the sport from a few rag-tag teams and a ineffectual governing body into what it is today.

Now is the time for Bernie to step aside or get mown down. The sport needs new blood, new ideas and less of the good ole Bernie BS.

vhatever
29th October 2011, 13:14
Ex F1 co-owner mused sacking Ecclestone - witness (http://www.inautonews.com/ex-f1-co-owner-mused-sacking-ecclestone-witness)

How long you had that signature and has no one told you how horribly misspelled unfortunately is in it?

BDunnell
29th October 2011, 13:15
Now is the time for Bernie to step aside or get mown down. The sport needs new blood, new ideas and less of the good ole Bernie BS.

All of which does nothing for the wider public image of the sport.

CNR
30th October 2011, 01:35
How long you had that signature and has no one told you how horribly misspelled unfortunately is in it?

that the way it is spelt on http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unfortunantly&page=2

Koz
30th October 2011, 04:48
that the way it is spelt on Urban Dictionary: unfortunantly (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unfortunantly&page=2)

It is unfortunate that you use the urban dictionary. :p

DexDexter
30th October 2011, 07:55

Bernie is a cancer that made F1 into one of the biggest sports in the world. A genius whose achievements should be recognized. People talk about his greed but in reality he makes the teams a lot of money which allows them to keep going and keep F1 what it is.

ioan
30th October 2011, 11:16
Bernie is a cancer that made F1 into one of the biggest sports in the world. A genius whose achievements should be recognized. People talk about his greed but in reality he makes the teams a lot of money which allows them to keep going and keep F1 what it is.

Wake up.

DexDexter
30th October 2011, 20:18
Wake up.

Who would you rather want in his place? A corporate guy with white teeth and "storylines" or something?

BDunnell
30th October 2011, 20:24
Wake up.

Surely, whatever one may think of him as a figurehead, it is true that he has helped make a lot of people extremely rich?

BDunnell
30th October 2011, 20:25
Who would you rather want in his place? A corporate guy with white teeth and "storylines" or something?

As much as I detest the modern corporate world, I think such an individual would be preferable to Ecclestone. I just think the time has come where he is doing considerable damage to F1's public image.

ioan
30th October 2011, 22:42

Someone with common sense.

ioan
30th October 2011, 22:46
Surely, whatever one may think of him as a figurehead, it is true that he has helped make a lot of people extremely rich?

Many factors have made some people filthy rich, and lots of other people very poor, Bernie is one of those factors.
I have nothing with people being richer than the average but there is a common sense limit that should kick in at some point.
The way Bernie is doing the business is not orthodox by any rules and he is not making F1 a favor by getting filthy rich in the process.

BTW who else profited so much from his F1 business? As far as I can remember every company that ever acquired the F1 commercial rights went south or got out with loses until now.

SGWilko
31st October 2011, 10:48
Many factors have made some people filthy rich, and lots of other people very poor, .

The saying goes - "If you want to leave F1 a millionair, enter it a billionair"

ioan
31st October 2011, 11:43
The saying goes - "If you want to leave F1 a millionair, enter it a billionair"

They forgot the: 'Unless you are BE!' part ;)

ioan
31st October 2011, 11:55
:rotflmao:

52Paddy
6th November 2011, 15:14
I admire Bernie from a business perspective. When he entered the wheeler-dealing of the English motor trade, he was the best on the block. His progression into F1 proved very helpful to many renowned team owners, not least Ron Dennis, Frank Williams and Ken Tyrrell. His clever grasping of power away from the bureaucratic Balestre and FIA crowd of the late 70s/early 80s proved a much healthier move for F1. It 'cleaned' up the sport and certainly brought in a lot of revenue. That's where it should have stopped. Unfortunately, it's been a downward spiral since and, although the revenue keeps coming in, F1 shouldn't be all about that. It is a sport, which Bernie has turned into a business.

I think F1 has been better in some respects due to Bernie involvement, but I feel we got the most out of it a few decades ago. Now it's just ridiculous greed which does no good for the fans of the sport (e.g. the Sky TV deal).