PDA

View Full Version : IRC to merge with ERC

rv65
26th October 2011, 00:59
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/irc_to_join_forces_with_european_championship/

It looks like the IRC will merge with the ERC in 2013. This would be great since EuroSport is in a lot of homes across the world. Maybe by then there will be 1.6T's. IRC has had events that had ERC status as well, so this could work out. 2013 is likely since IRC and ERC have finalized their 2013 schedule. It's possible, but I think it's likely going to happen.

uranium
26th October 2011, 11:50
It could be two possible results - ERC will raise it's status and will be more interested drivers to take part. Or most of drivers would better join WRC.
For now it looks that Eurosport just closes IRC and takes care of European championship. Anyway I is International, nor European.

RS
26th October 2011, 14:09
It could be two possible results - ERC will raise it's status and will be more interested drivers to take part. Or most of drivers would better join WRC.
For now it looks that Eurosport just closes IRC and takes care of European championship. Anyway I is International, nor European.

I don't see it like that.... more that IRC stay similar to what it is and take the more accurate name of ERC. IRC gains FIA championship status and maybe a few extra drivers and ERC gains a strong media partner and hopefully therefore a much better supported championship.

RS
30th May 2012, 12:31
Motorsport News report today that an announcement on the merger is imminent.

kober
30th May 2012, 23:17
Just a name change for IRC? How many rallies on the schedule?

Luis Pacheco
7th June 2012, 09:23
MaxRally | News | IRC to join forces with European Championship (http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/irc_to_join_forces_with_european_championship/)

The Azores are an European region.

Mirek
8th August 2012, 17:00
According to what a friend wrote on Czech forum the merge is done. There shall be 14 events divided into two half-seasons. Best four results of each half will be counted, altogether eight events. Basically same system which is used now in ERC but with more events (it was probably hard to say bye bye to so many organizers from both championships).

werner
8th August 2012, 18:57
If that is true (and I would be surprised), we can watch the current IRC and ERC Calendar. There are 17 different countries in both series, so some will be cut. Maybe Italy can stay with Mille Miglia and San Remo, and Portugal with Madeira and Acores. So which Rally could be fix:
- Ypres
- Barum
- Valais
- Ireland
- Corse
- San Marino
- Mille Miglia
- San Remo
- Acores
- Madeira
- Cyprus
- maybe Canarias or Asturias
- Poland
and one of Jänner, Croatia, Bulgaria, Sliven, Bosphorus, Sibiu or Yalta.

Only Races from the current calendars. At the end the Organizer with lots of money will be exist, anyway a difficult selection ...

@ Mirek: Do you know if that new series will be supported by Eurosport with TV Coverage again? If yes, then the money will select the races.

Mirek
8th August 2012, 19:05
I know nothing :) As I wrote it was a friend who posted that on Czech forum and yes, he wrote Eurosport stays as promoter.

mousti
8th August 2012, 19:53
Can't be bad I think, because both championships had different competitors to do the season so that will be all packed together and probably it will be more prestigious now that some drivers and teams will be maybe more interested to participate!

A FONDO
8th August 2012, 20:49
I am very sceptical about it. In my eyes IRC assimilates ERC so competitors will remain small numbers because of the enormous fees and events will be mainly the richest ones with worst stages. There will be decent TV coverage but what to watch in it???

bluuford
8th August 2012, 21:05
I am very sceptical about it. In my eyes IRC assimilates ERC so competitors will remain small numbers because of the enormous fees and events will be mainly the richest ones with worst stages. There will be decent TV coverage but what to watch in it???
IRC entry fees have been aproxximately 1/10th of WRC entry costs.. Except a few rallies (like Monte Carlo)

A FONDO
8th August 2012, 21:16
Oh really? How many examples can you give? Except the islands that indeed pay drivers to go there?

N.O.T
8th August 2012, 21:20
Great news if true... The ERC was a tourist nobody gathering for some years now, now we might have good drivers competing in it.

Mirek
8th August 2012, 21:49
Oh really? How many examples can you give? Except the islands that indeed pay drivers to go there?

Slowson, why do You throw s.h.i.t. on something You have no clue about? Entry fee is in most cases same with ERC level with no additional payments for promoter packages, no season entry fee (except for manufacturers), no mandatory fuel, no mandatory tyres like in WRC. Everyone can use what he wants if it complies with App.J of International Sporting Code. Competitive distance is cca same, often even bigger in ERC than in IRC...

Particularly Barum is from 900 Euro for private entry, Ypres 1400 Euro, Romania was 1000 Euro etc.

Josti
8th August 2012, 22:02
Great move indeed. ERC is a strong name and now it can be a strong and prestigious championship too again. That in combination with the good coverage of IRC (which wasn´t intercontinental anyway), I think it´ll be very interesting next year.

bluuford
8th August 2012, 22:16

Few more details to add:
Cheapest IRC entry fees were around 500-600 EUR (last year)
SWRC, PWRC event entry fee is 3750 EUR + 1470 EUR registration fee.
But if you want to drive as WRC team then you pay 6375 EUR per event + 21 000 EUR registration fee If you have two cars then double it)

If you are manufacturer, then you pay 35 000EUR per event +300 000 EUR registration fee per season. (that is 725 000 EUR for one team in a season!)

EightGear
8th August 2012, 23:55
Good news. I personally don't really like the fact only the best 8 results will count, but it is the same for everyone of course.

Hopefully Skoda will continue next year and maybe Peugeot will be back. A strong 'second' championship, next to the WRC is much needed, like IRC was last year.

Sulland
9th August 2012, 08:00
Few more details to add:
But if you want to drive as WRC team then you pay 6375 EUR per event + 21 000 EUR registration fee If you have two cars then double it)

If you are manufacturer, then you pay 35 000EUR per event +300 000 EUR registration fee per season. (that is 725 000 EUR for one team in a season!)

Do you or others know the organizer fees for ERC, IRC and WRC as well? What you have to pay be allowed to arrange a rally?

Mirek
9th August 2012, 08:38
Hopefully Skoda will continue next year and maybe Peugeot will be back. A strong 'second' championship, next to the WRC is much needed, like IRC was last year.

I think only Škoda UK and no official Peugeot next year.

A FONDO
9th August 2012, 08:58
Few more details to add:

IRC IRC IRC? Cheapest may be 1 and 2 euro, what about the others, the real events without the big sponsors?!

Mirek
9th August 2012, 09:17
IRC IRC IRC? Cheapest may be 1 and 2 euro, what about the others, the real events without the big sponsors?!

Can't You read? I posted entry fees to several IRC events on previous page.

Anyway, sacrifice few minutes and read supplementary regulations of every IRC event. It's public document. Given examples are absolutely normal entry fees in the IRC. Than You can stop this BS about big sponsors etc.

bluuford
9th August 2012, 17:58
Do you or others know the organizer fees for ERC, IRC and WRC as well? What you have to pay be allowed to arrange a rally?

The sum for one rally in IRC would be around 800 000 EUR. But possibly it varies from rally to rally. This is the only number I have heard and have been published.

uranium
9th August 2012, 18:02
The sum for one rally in IRC would be around 800 000 EUR. But possibly it varies from rally to rally. This is the only number I have heard and have been published.

What is it? Sum to organize rally or for one competitor?

Mirek
9th August 2012, 18:21

It varies very much. Established events with good name and entries sure pay much less.

bluuford
9th August 2012, 20:03
What is it? Sum to organize rally or for one competitor?
I just found out that 800 000 EUR is the total cost to organize IRC rally (including fees for Eurosport). around half of the cost might be to ES TV production.

Sulland
10th August 2012, 09:10
It varies very much. Established events with good name and entries sure pay much less.

So what sums for what rallies in IRC and ERC are known ?
And why does it vary so much?

Mirek
10th August 2012, 09:55
Because it is up to the negotiations between Eurosport Events and event organizers what one can offer to the other. It's not shopping. I don't understand for what You need some exact sums. I doubt You can evaluate them anyway.

Sulland
10th August 2012, 21:10
Nah, its just to get som ballpark figures to better understand the fixed cost involved in hosting a WRC, IRC or an ERC event in 2011.

Mirek
10th August 2012, 22:19
There is no fixed cost in IRC (as far as I know).

Plan9
11th August 2012, 01:31
I just hope this merger means better coverage of whatever rallies they do put into this new championship. I am getting tired of waiting for it be uploaded. It would also be helpful if they did a highlights DVD as some providers do for the WRC.

PLuto
13th August 2012, 09:53
According to what a friend wrote on Czech forum the merge is done. There shall be 14 events divided into two half-seasons. Best four results of each half will be counted, altogether eight events. Basically same system which is used now in ERC but with more events (it was probably hard to say bye bye to so many organizers from both championships).

Actually this info is a fake, nothing is sure, nothing is confirmed.

Francis44
13th August 2012, 16:28
Apparently the deal between the FIA and Eurosport is off.

Next year still two championships, the European and IRC.

Another failed attempt by the FIA.

Sulland
13th August 2012, 16:50

Another failed attempt by the FIA.

Seems like most issues are pushed to the right, both R5 launch and IRC/ERC merge can now go to 14.
How many people are working with rally issues in FIA?

A FONDO
13th August 2012, 17:26

Another failed attempt by Eurosport.
great news

Mirek
13th August 2012, 17:57
A 14 event championship would not do it anyway... Also I think both championship somehow attract different drivers anyway. I don't see for example Tlustak or Olekskowicz (without telling a bad word about these 2 drivers) driving a championship with 10 guys who are faster everywhere...

I actually don't think Tlusťák is afraid to loose. If he would like to do nice results he would stay at home and not drive regularly events like Ypres where he has virtually no chance.

RS
13th August 2012, 20:39
great news

Why do you hate Eurosport so much when they provided the best quality WRC coverage of the year so far and the best rally coverage ever with their live Monte stuff in recent years?

A FONDO
13th August 2012, 20:57
tv coverage is one thing, organizing and promoting is completely different. what they have done with IRC and WTCC is a calamity.

rallyfiend
13th August 2012, 21:12
Perhaps they have taken the news over missing out on wrc deal badly and thrown their toys out of the pram? Again.

I wonder what impact this will have in the FiA over the continuing negotiations over WTCC rights, which are also up for grabs at the moment.