PDA

View Full Version : OT: BriSCA F1 on Channel 5 in 2007

Chris29
21st March 2007, 23:03
:D
Statement from Coventry Racing Club:

STOCK Car racing at Coventry Stadium is to be featured on Channel 5 this season in a groundbreaking deal.

Coventry Racing Club, in conjunction with Startline Productions, have secured a season-long agreement for Brisca F1 Stock Cars to be shown in a series of eight one-hour highlights programmes.

The programmes will feature all the track action, driver interviews and the support formula.

Coventry Stadium’s Jeremy Heaver said: “We have had several opportunities to get Brisca F1 back onto TV in the last few years, ranging from late night free satellite channels to live paid for sports channels.
“However none of the previous offers gave us or our paying public what we wanted. This deal gives everybody what they want, which is a highlights programme on terrestrial TV shown a few days after the event, and then a repeat for those who miss it first time round.
“The initial deal is for the 2007 season but we are confident the viewing figures will enable us to secure a longer term deal.”

Michelle Orpe, who has experience of presenting drag racing on Sky, will add a touch of glamour to the proceedings as the programme anchor woman.

Coventry Racing Club have retained the sponsorship rights for the series and are actively looking for partners in time for the start of the season in April.

Heaver added: “It represents a great opportunity for sponsors to get large scale coverage for a relatively low investment.”.

Interested parties can contact Heaver at Coventry Stadium on (02476) 542395.

The stock car season runs from April to November, with Brandon staging meetings on the first Saturday of every month.

Abo
21st March 2007, 23:55
That's pretty cool :)

pickup
22nd March 2007, 00:09
Good news indeed i've been a big fan of theirs for years.
I don't quite understand how they managed to secure a TV deal with one of the major channels when SCSA/pickups can't get coverage, i know SCSA have announced a deal with a production company to cover their races but at what cost? and will it be shown on one of the major channels the Pickups could have had a similar deal but the costs were to high and even after paying there is still no guarantee someone will broadcast it.
Anway good luck to Brisca i hope it's a success and look forward to watching it.

Chris29
22nd March 2007, 00:34
I don't quite understand how they managed to secure a TV deal with one of the major channels when SCSA/pickups can't get coverage it.
As far as I understand, this is the culmination of around four years hard negotiating. BriSCA have rejected deals from Sky Sports (among others) which were little more than buying the airtime at a rather extortionate rate and then having to put a production together with the costs associated with that. BriSCA have put their house in order over the past year - this year has seen the first closed season without uncertainty of whether the season will start on time for years. Last season also saw a steady increase in spectator numbers. I think this stability has strengthened their position. BriSCA also had a production company ready to go.

The first showing will be on Five, while the repeat will be on Five US - part of Five's new digital channels. It really is an exceptional deal in the current climate of TV sport, particularly the retention of sponsorship rights.

acorn
22nd March 2007, 11:52
it's also not like any other motorsport that's on c5 and therefore adds to the variety that's covered and could bring in new viewers to the channel(if the programmes and contents are advertised well). let's hope they keep the dustclouds down.

Nick Brad
26th March 2007, 11:51
Does anyone know if this will just be racing at Coventry or coverage from all BriSCA F1 events?

Chris29
26th March 2007, 13:43
Does anyone know if this will just be racing at Coventry or coverage from all BriSCA F1 events?
The deal is between Coventry and Channel 5 and not BriSCA as a whole. For this year, the coverage will consist of one F1 meeting per month from Coventry only on Five and repeated on Five US. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out, and - who knows - if successful, it may lead to coverage from other tracks in future.

cgs
26th March 2007, 13:48
it seems odd how a channel which has only just started up and marketed and only showing American shows is already straying away from that dynamic and showing non-American stuff.

i'm not saying this to be negative against Brisca, it just frustrates me when channels stray from what they suposedly represent

Abo
26th March 2007, 13:59
Filling airtime?

acorn
26th March 2007, 14:13
"Michelle Orpe, who has experience of presenting drag racing on Sky, will add a touch of glamour to the proceedings as the programme anchor woman."

I hope she does some serious research into what F1 stockcars are all about so that she doesn't come across as a complete plonker. She also needs to be taken round in one of the 2 seaters with other cars around her and making "light " contact so that she can experience it first hand.

Nick Brad
26th March 2007, 23:01
I'd second that, I hate to see women presenting shows purely because they ARE women, look at Racing Rivals, Nell McAndrew was hired for looks only and served only as eye candy as far as I was concerned.
When I watch racing, I want to see just that, if I want eye candy i'll watch one of the x rated channels on sky. I'd hate to see a great show suffer from something like that, although I can't claim to have seen her presenting before and I shalln't drag her down until I've seen her for myself.

SteveA
27th March 2007, 01:29
I can't claim to have seen her presenting before and I shalln't drag her down until I've seen her for myself.

Now that can be interpreted a couple of ways ;)

Nick Brad
27th March 2007, 12:50
I should have seen that one, lol

cjhill2002
28th March 2007, 20:13
thats cool!!!

Good to see some short oval racing on TV!

Now if we could only get a similar deal for Hot Rods!!!!

courageous
29th March 2007, 22:51
I take it this will be lat night / early morning mid week? Still a massive achievment regardless - well done all involved!

Chris29
30th March 2007, 01:12
The timing will be announced at the first Coventry Meeting on April 7th. I suspect you are right though about the late night thing - not that it makes any difference these days. If that's the case, I expect the Five US repeat to be at a more civilised time :)

Chris29
8th April 2007, 19:21
The first scheduled programme was announced at the Coventry meeting last night. It will be shown at midnight on Sunday 29th April. A much better slot than I was expecting... And keep an eye out for some primetime trailers in the run up ;)

cgs
8th April 2007, 19:44
might watch that then on the wind down from the first SCSA meeting :D

pickup
8th April 2007, 20:25
The first scheduled programme was announced at the Coventry meeting last night. It will be shown at midnight on Sunday 29th April. A much better slot than I was expecting... And keep an eye out for some primetime trailers in the run up ;)

Might be worth a post on here a day or two before it's scheduled to be shown just to remind people it's on.

acorn
17th April 2007, 19:17
It will be shown at midnight on Sunday 29th April. A much better slot than I was expecting... And keep an eye out for some primetime trailers in the run up ;)

just checked the listings on five's website and it's not showing as scheduled.

acorn
27th April 2007, 17:27
it's now listed on sky epg and 5's website as 05:10 (tuesday night)wednesday morning 2nd may.

"The debut of BriSCA (British Stock Car Association) Formula One Stock Car Racing on Five. It's the elite form of short circuit oval contact racing, with powerful 600 bhp cars on small circuits. Presented by Michelle Orpe, the series will feature highlights of the Formula One season starting with the Coventry Track Championship."

Chris29
27th April 2007, 18:04
Hi... I put some information about it on the new all-in-one BriSCA thread (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116880) earlier this week, and I've kept away from updating it as it's a big weekend for you guys :cool: But seeing as though it's been pulled to the top...

Due to a scheduling problem at Channel 5, the show was put back a week and will be shown on Sunday 6th / Monday 7th at 12.15am. As you have noticed, the first showing is now 2nd May at 5.10am. There will be a further repeat at 5.10am on 9th May. There is also the promise of a Saturday Morning (kid's time!) slot later in the month (TBC). From next month onwards the first showing will be around the 12.15am slot with early morning and Saturday repeats ongoing.