PDA

View Full Version : Home Alone?

Hazell B
21st March 2007, 21:30
What's you home security like and do you feel safe alone at home?

Last week I bought an antique cricket bat at an auction (much to the amusement of the auctioneer) to keep at the bottom of the stairs in case I was home alone and had an intruder. The dogs aren't much use and would probably sleep through an invasion :p :

A few months ago I was sprawling on a friend's sofa watching a film when a lost drunk came walking in to her home, thinking it was his own house, and before I could blink she had a large lump of hazel walking stick six inches from his face. He left. Quickly. It brought home just how dangerous life can be these days .... hence my cricket bat :)

So, two locks on the back door, five (built in) on the front door, two gormless part-time guard dogs and a cricket bat (that I can wave about and look mean with :p : ) are all that stop the outside world ripping my house to bits. Is that about average?

And yes, I do feel safe :D

tony_yeboah
21st March 2007, 21:37
What's you home security like

lol are you planning on robbing all the forum members? :)

sonic_roadhog
21st March 2007, 21:39
lol are you planning on robbing all the forum members? :)

hehehe. :D

The Kitten Kat
21st March 2007, 22:02
Hmm, well we've got locks on the front, back and conservatory doors, as well as 90% of the windows.

As well as two cats (not much use!) and five rats (who would be far more vicious than the cats!).

However, the main armoury belongs to me and a fellow housemate on the ground floor - athames and a collection of replica swords! :D Not to mention countless sharp professional kitchen knife and machete sets!

And if all that fails we can always beat them to death with scuba diving flippers and two sets of golf clubs!!

No one gets out alive! ;)

harvick#1
21st March 2007, 22:06
So, two locks on the back door, five (built in) on the front door

5 locks :eek: a Deadbolt works just as good :)

LotusElise
21st March 2007, 22:18
Rented property so not as much choice as I might like.
It's a flat above a shop with an upper and lower door and an extra lock on the balcony foor. It isn't very secure and before the balcony lock was on, I had to call the police when a gang of chav girls got onto my balcony via next door's fire escape!

I also have a chain on the door and a kendo stave which I know how to use.

Ian McC
21st March 2007, 22:53
Our house is so big we have our own moat ;) Alas we had to get rid of the crocs though, after a couple of the neighbourhood kids went missing. I am certain it wasn't the crocs, we always kept them well fed :)

Norwegian Blue
22nd March 2007, 00:00
I've usually got some kind of guitar by the door...and those things can do some damage! Although....it's usually to me... :s

tinchote
22nd March 2007, 00:14
We use the alarm at night, but other than that we tend to leave the house unlocked.

Daniel
22nd March 2007, 01:11
All the windows have locks, the front door has a chain and deadlock, back door also has a deadlock too :)

But to be fair we live in a very quiet part of the countryside and there are many OAP's living around us who would be better targets so I feel safe.

In Australia we used to have one of these by the front door
http://www.civilization.ca/tresors/immigration/elem/img/im0326a.jpg
A very real and very dangerous Zulu club which I'm sure could do a lot of damage if it connected with a home invaders melon. In Australia we only came close to being broken into once. Someone tried to climb around the side of the house on a shaky tin roof and it broke. Our 3 small dachshunds came thundering around the side of the house making a lot of noise and the person fled into the night. Having loud dogs aways helps that and security grilles on the front windows too :)

RaceFanStan
22nd March 2007, 01:55
I depend on 2 fellows for home security .....

their names are Smith & Wesson
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/00/sw44mag.jpg

oily oaf
22nd March 2007, 06:27
They'll never get past the hedge of doom!
(launches into wild cackling and tunes into "Gardener's World")

I had a nice bit of fish last night.
Haddock I think it was :mad:
Cooked up nice in the old microwave that did.
The only trouble was I'd run out of spuds so I had to make do with that instant mash lark
Still musn't grumble it's only proper Murphies that have had the water taken out after all.
(rushes headlong into downstairs bog to change nappy)

LeonBrooke
22nd March 2007, 07:18
My house is portected by a couple of lockable doors with glass panels, and inside someone breaking in wouldn't be able to move more than a foot before tripping up on some piece of paper, or a book, or a shirt, or something I've dropped on the floor because I couldn't be bothered putting it in its proper place...

gadjo_dilo
22nd March 2007, 07:48
As I'm sure that my famous co-national thiefs don't attend this forum I dare say that anyone can enter my house.

One of my cousins considered that my front door isn't safe enough and " helped " me by changing the lock. Unfortunately he didn't do the job properly and now it's probably enough to push the door a bit harder. All the back doors has their windows broken as my mum use to forget her keys in the house. Not to mention a terrace that can be easily escaladeted. All the windows of the basement are deteriorated and a clever thief may enter the cellar and then enter the house by the inner court ( my cat does it quite often ).
And as if all these weren't enough my mum use to keep an axe at the entrance providing as well the weapon for the thief.
I'm obessed with the idea of a thief entering my home but at the same time I know that thiefs hits the homes if they know there's something to steal in them. From this point of view I can't offer much. The police station who's just at the corner is more of a moral consolation cos our policemen are either incapable or corrupted.

Erki
22nd March 2007, 08:33
Unlike many forum members here, I don't live in a house but in an apartment/flat. There main door is almost always locked(unless someone has left it open) and the only to get in is to use your magnet key or "call" someone via phone(can be annoying sometimes). The flat door is of metal and has one lock with something like 5 lock tongues or what they are called(literal translation from Estonian). We always lock the doors, no question about this one. My next door neighbours are some Russians who sometimes like to get drunk. ;) So far no intruders. There was one inturder though... but that's another story. ;)

Donney
22nd March 2007, 11:20
I live in a small rented flat and the only door has a lock which I always close when I leave home and at night.

I feel protected because I live in a very safe part of town.

Dave B
22nd March 2007, 12:58
I leave the doors and windows open when I go out, and the code for my burglar alarm is 49921 although it's never switched on. :p

BDunnell
22nd March 2007, 13:00
I feel safe at home, because I live on the first floor and the doors are tough. There is no alarm, and I don't think I'd either be or feel any safer with one.

schmenke
22nd March 2007, 15:04
We have one deadbolt lock each on the front and back doors. That's it :s . They are at times even left unlocked at night :mark: .

Oily, try the steamed carp :)

nicemms
22nd March 2007, 19:02
I feel safe in my house. We have a double glazed door at front which is followed by a thick wooden door which is bolted from the inside only. At the back we have a set of locked double doors.

Ian McC
22nd March 2007, 19:55
I leave the doors and windows open when I go out, and the code for my burglar alarm is 49921 although it's never switched on. :p

Where do you live again? Somewhere in Kent isn't it? :D

Hazell B
22nd March 2007, 20:16
Too late McC, I'm already half way there ;)

Ian McC
22nd March 2007, 20:35
Too late McC, I'm already half way there ;)

Right ho Sir :p : :D