PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Dan Wheldon

IndyCarFan
17th October 2011, 00:04
We were at the St Pete Grand Prix a few years back when Dan was driving for Target. We had paddock passes on race day and were in Dan's "garage" area but he was surrounded by people wanting his autograph. My son was disappointed that we couldn't get close enough to get Dan's autograph before he had to leave. It was a pretty warm day so we decided to duck into Mahaffey Theater to get out of the sun. We were standing just inside by the entrance and about 5 minutes later in walks Dan Wheldon. He must have noticed the big smile on my son's face because he stopped and talked to him for a couple of minutes. After chatting with my son he said he had to go do an interview but thanked him for coming to the race. We were all so impressed with Dan. My son was only 6 at the time but he still talks about that moment to this day. Needless to say, we will all miss Dan, the racer and the person.

call_me_andrew
17th October 2011, 01:59
m_kMXSbiJVY

drewdawg727
17th October 2011, 02:04
That finish of the Indy 500 is going to be the most memorable Wheldon moment for me for sure. So glad he was able to make that his final win before leaving us.

I remember meeting Dan at Watkins Glen back in 2010. He was on a scooter in the paddock area talking to a worker, I suppose it was. Called his name and he rode over and was more than happy to sign an autograph and to take a picture with me. That picture will be up on my Facebook profile pic for a while to come.

NickFalzone
17th October 2011, 02:22
This is not what I would consider a happy memory, but it's one that has stayed with me. I watched this interview after qualifying and was kind of shocked at how depressed Dan was. Even with so-so equipment, he always has a positive spin on things, but this was as down as I've ever seen him...

DBSi29ZC9B0

heliocastroneves#3
17th October 2011, 21:08
I think he felt something was going to happen. Maybe that's why he just had a very long victory tour, he tested USF2000, Indy Lights and Star Mazda cars? Maybe this were the things he still wanted to do in his life? This reminds me of Senna and Moore. Senna also didn't feel well a day before the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix and so had Moore trouble during qualifying, one day before his life came to a tragic end.

FIAT1
18th October 2011, 22:35
I remember back in Atlantics, Dan was racing B Rice and was a great duel in Milwaukee mile on Saturday before Indy race on Sunday. I was thinking that future of Indycar is brite with Mario retiring and two yung guys racing hard was fantastic site. Thanks for the memories Dan. RIP.

numanoid
19th October 2011, 01:40
After qualifying on Friday, my Wife and I were hanging out over by the Sam Schmidt trucks talking to a friend of the family who works for B&W. He gave us a quick tour of the garage and trucks. We really wanted to met Dan as he quickly became one of our favorites this year. His commentary really drew my wife into the series. Our friend said that the drivers were packed up so he couldn't do intros, and then a minute later Dan walks up in street clothes with his big ol backpack on. Our friend stepped over and introduced us to him and he lit up with that smile of his and thanked us for coming to qualifying. He said he was excited for the race. He got pulled away before we could get a pic or anything signed, but then a second later another rep came out with his autographs for us. He took the time to sign them even though he was in the middle of something else. My wife was soooo excited to have met him.

He just seemed like a great guy and he was really happy to be there.

heliocastroneves#3
19th October 2011, 10:47
At least he died where he wanted.... On the racetrack...... BUT.... WAY too early.. :(

garyshell
19th October 2011, 17:30
At least he died where he wanted.... On the racetrack......

That is ridiculous. Somehow I don't thinks that is where he wanted to die at all. More likely he would have wanted it to be in his sleep in his own home when he was 90+ years old.

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
19th October 2011, 18:18
I agree, but race drivers think a bit different about that... Wasn't it Tony Kanaan saying during an interview that if he could choose a way to go that Dan's way would've been the way? Enfin, this doesn't matter at all, the fact is that we will miss Dan very much and that I feel so terrible that I've never met this guy. :(

DBell
19th October 2011, 19:13
It's sort of odd, but as I think about it, my memories of Dan come more as a announcer than a driver. I didn't start watching the IRL/IndyCar until after CC merged with the IRL. The last 3 years were down years for Dan, at Gannasi in'08 and Panther the last 2 years and he didn't make a big impression on me in those 3 years. But the work he did in the booth at some of the races this year was memorable to me. I couldn't believe the difference he made in the quality of the broadcast and I really enjoyed his personality and the charm he had. It was a night and day difference from the regular team. They were the most enjoyable IndyCar races I watched this year. We not only lost a accomplished driver with some good years left, but also a future race announcer who would've been a great one,imo.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon.
You left too soon and will be missed. Godspeed.