PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dan Wheldon - 1978 - 2011

Mark Pedersen
16th October 2011, 23:10
Dan - you will be missed. you were a true champion and a great bloke. my heart is breaking for you and your family right now. RIP Dan

DonJippo
16th October 2011, 23:18
R.I.P.

Marbles
16th October 2011, 23:19
My sincerest condolences to the Wheldon family and to all who knew him. Rest in peace.

Shifter
16th October 2011, 23:19
R.I.P. I've always admired the bravery of open-wheel drivers on ovals. Dan Wheldon was one of the brave ones.

Mark Pedersen
16th October 2011, 23:22
apologies for the mis spelt surname - i'm still a bit shaky right now (Monday morning here in NZ and i'm at work but can't concentrate)
so sad.

Chamoo
16th October 2011, 23:22
RIP Dan. Can we get admin to fix his name in the thread title please? Out of respect for the champion.

Marbles
16th October 2011, 23:27
apologies for the mis spelt surname - i'm still a bit shaky right now (Monday morning here in NZ and i'm at work but can't concentrate)
so sad.

We understand.

DazzlaF1
16th October 2011, 23:27
R.I.P. I've always admired the bravery of open-wheel drivers on ovals. Dan Wheldon was one of the brave ones.

It just all confirms what every fan already knows, open wheel racing always has been and shall always be a dangerous sport, every driver knows this but they choose to do it because its what they love to do. You've gotta have nerves of steel to drive one of those cars. I guess thats why we respect them

RIP Dan, a true winner and one of the very best to set foot into an Indy Car, you will be sadly missed :( :(

BTCC2
16th October 2011, 23:28
RIP. A tragic loss.

Phoenixent
16th October 2011, 23:33
RIP Dan.... You were awesome in an Indycar and awesome in the booth... We the Indycar race fans will miss you greatly......

DanicaFan
16th October 2011, 23:46
I too, am a loss for words. A great driver, great man, great for the sport of racing. Will truly be missed. Still in shock..

RIP Dan..
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/dan-wheldon_114938379.jpg

tstran17_88
16th October 2011, 23:48
RIP Dan. :(

heliocastroneves#3
16th October 2011, 23:52
Will miss you Dan. Oh my god, still having tears here.. :(

Jake Stephens
16th October 2011, 23:58
I opened Autosport tonight and did not expect this tragic news. R.I.P. Dan Wheldon.

Forum Buddy
17th October 2011, 00:01
RIP Dan, you will be missed.

garyshell
17th October 2011, 00:08
There are no words...

Gary

TheCountessZ
17th October 2011, 00:18
I'm just sick over this. His poor wife and children...please, God, please comfort them right now.

Motorsportfun
17th October 2011, 00:26
don't know what to say.

R.I.P. Dan

FormerFF
17th October 2011, 00:40
Every one of us - from the lowliest club racer (me) to the Formula 1 champion knows that when we get in the car that this can happen. That doesn't make it any easier to take when it does. Requiescat In Pace, Dan, you will be missed.

wedge
17th October 2011, 01:15
RIP Dan Wheldon

Watched the race, waited out the red flag came back and heard the news. I've watched the replays out of morbid curiosity and however bad it looks I still can't believe it. Really took the wind out of me.

Only in America. Dan looked like he would end up a journeyman driver but made a name for himself in Indycars and excelling on the ovals. Indycar champion, Indy 500 winner. The American Dream.

Dan, you will be missed.

uncommonsense52
17th October 2011, 01:16
RIP Dan. Unreal how sad this is.

I proposed on a different forum that we Christen the 2012 car the Dan Wheldon Model. Someone came along and said give it the title DW-98. I'm not picky about the name, I jsut think it'd be a great gesture.

NickFalzone
17th October 2011, 01:19
I am saddened at any major injury, and certainly death, in motorsports... but something about Dan Wheldon's passing is harder than most. When I think of Dan, I think of that huge smile he always had on his face, then I think of his amazing talent and bravery on the ovals. I remember watching some POV shots from Dan's car a few years ago at Texas and being astounded at his skill in close racing at such high speeds, always pushing his hardest to get to the front. It will be hard for me to watch this kind of racing again, to be honest. And if I were Dario or another close friend of Dan's, I imagine it will be hard to get back in the car again. We all know of the inherent risks in Indy racing, but in 2011 this kind of tragedy is quite unexpected, no matter what anyone outside the sport will tell you. Very sad day indeed...

truefan72
17th October 2011, 01:33
RIP Dan!
my fav indycar driver
just got home and heard the news and saw the crash

so sad

if any good can come from this tragedy it would be the end of ovals for indycar and open wheel racing except the indy 500 ( which is still too dangerous)

jarrambide
17th October 2011, 01:42
It was Hemingway who said that "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.", every driver knows that they can die any day, every fan knows the drivers can die any day, their family knows it, and yet, no one wants it to happen, and yet it is still sad and painful.

call_me_andrew
17th October 2011, 01:54
RIP Dan. Unreal how sad this is.

I proposed on a different forum that we Christen the 2012 car the Dan Wheldon Model. Someone came along and said give it the title DW-98. I'm not picky about the name, I jsut think it'd be a great gesture.

I thought about calling the bumper "The Wheldon Bumper," but I don't think he would want something so ugly named for himself.

NickFalzone
17th October 2011, 02:01
I'll also never forget his surprisingly great work as an announcer. He came in with no real experience and easily outshined the veteran broadcasters in the booth with him. His enthusiasm for the sport was infectious and truly brought back my love for IndyCar racing, when it had been waning. Can't believe he is gone.

Anubis
17th October 2011, 02:20
The thing that I'm finding sad right now is that over here in the UK, this is probably the most press coverage he's ever received in his entire career. Seems cruel that despite all the wins and the exceptional career he'd forged stateside, the only way he could get any real recognition over here was to get killed :(

Mark in Oshawa
17th October 2011, 03:00
The thing that I'm finding sad right now is that over here in the UK, this is probably the most press coverage he's ever received in his entire career. Seems cruel that despite all the wins and the exceptional career he'd forged stateside, the only way he could get any real recognition over here was to get killed :(

Oh so true....Rest in Peace Dan Wheldon. You were one of the good guys and a damn good race driver....

Chris R
17th October 2011, 03:08
I cannot say I was a big fan until this year - once he had some "booth time" to really show his personality, it became hard not to like him - I was really looking forward to next year and seeing a re-surgent Dan Wheldon. Very good driver who was in many ways one of Indy's biggest assets. I am glad we got to witness his career and sad that it ended far to soon.

Mad_Hatter
17th October 2011, 03:21
My fondest memories of him were also while he was in the booth. His skills in an Indycar were exceptional.

RIP Dan

garyshell
17th October 2011, 05:18
It was Hemingway who said that "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.", every driver knows that they can die any day, every fan knows the drivers can die any day, their family knows it, and yet, no one wants it to happen, and yet it is still sad and painful.

Jose I am so glad you brought out that Hemmingway quote. At this moment it is very appropriate.

Gary

bennybigb
17th October 2011, 05:21
RIP Dan

May this be the end of open wheel pack racing.

NickFalzone
17th October 2011, 05:37
Hearing that Andretti had signed him into the Go-Daddy car the morning of today's race makes it even sadder...with his testing of the new car and back on a quality team, the potential for 2012 and on was significant. He achieved a lot in his career, but had so much potential success ahead.

ChicagocrewIRL
17th October 2011, 06:21
I broke down and cried and sobbed like a little kid when I heard this incredible tragic horrible news. I'm just stunned and bewildered and like Tomas Scheckter tweeted, I am waiting to wake up from this nightmare and find Dan alive and well and flashing that bright infectious smile to the whole world. The thing that made Dan so special was his love for the sport and his love for Indianapolis. He could have gone so many different ways with the talent God blessed him with, yet he came back to Indy and IndyCars time and time again. His love was genuine. His love was pure. And his love will be missed and mourned always. Even greater than his love for Indy was his love for his family. We must all hold Suzie and the boys in our hearts and prayers and will them the strength to survive this time of immense grief. Those kids should always know what a great man their dad was and his lessons were taught on and off the track. Dan's enduring legacy will be in the family he leaves behind and the wonderful racing memories he leaves behind in the hearts of all IndyCar fans. I still remember the first race he drove for Panther in a car that looked a lot like Sam Hornish Jr's car and I found myself remarking to myself during that race that Hornish had better keep looking in his rear view mirror for this talented young Briton. And he eclipsed Sam rapidly. And in the end, won the greatest prize, a Borg Warner Trophy, earlier than his mentor. I miss you so much already , 2 time Indianapolis 500 Champion, IndyCar Champion: DAN WHELDON

harvick#1
17th October 2011, 06:23
RIP champ, another great young talent whos life was taken way too early, my sympathy for Mr. Wheldons family and friends

monadvspec
17th October 2011, 06:54
Dan, we miss you and we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

F1boat
17th October 2011, 07:01
Rest in piece, Dan... I expected that after yesterday, but hoped that he'll survive... it's extremely sad. He was a great driver.

jimispeed
17th October 2011, 07:05
Dan Wheldon, a true racer. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

God Bless You, Rest in Peace.

Dave B
17th October 2011, 07:07
Terrible news. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

slorydn1
17th October 2011, 07:25
I just got a chance to watch the race broadcast.........

RIP Dan Wheldon.... :(

DexDexter
17th October 2011, 07:54
RIP.

Abarth
17th October 2011, 08:24
RIP,
Thoughts with the family.

Mark
17th October 2011, 09:21
Rest in Peace. One of the greatest British drivers.

heliocastroneves#3
17th October 2011, 11:04
I think we should continue with racing on ovals, they just never had to change the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. When ChampCar drove there in 2004 and '05 the oval was way safer then it's now!

I also disliked the Kentucky update by the way. I'm glad the new car will come, and please.... Do not allow it anymore to drive with 34 cars on an oval like this. Better they don't return to Las Vegas anymore. Replace it with Chicagoland.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon, this is such a sad day. :(

The Black Knight
17th October 2011, 11:17
RIP Dan. You will be missed :(

Civic
17th October 2011, 12:05
Champ Cars didn't use the superspeedway configuration in 2004 when I was there. From what I remember the speeds were under 210. At this point it's useless to debate it but I still wonder if a different wing package (maybe the ones used on shorter ovals) would've made a difference.

Seems like the next safety step is to look into improving the catch fence. I think Tony Renna might've hit the catch fence in his accident. It would be difficult to make the fence "safer" without sacrificing sight lines/ability to see the track.

jwhite9185
17th October 2011, 20:56
Do not allow it anymore to drive with 34 cars on an oval like this.

My thoughts entirely. This was an absolute freak accident. There were just too many cars, and the fact the cars won't be used again makes me think that a few of the 'one off' drivers were out to make a name for themselves.

anthonyvop
17th October 2011, 20:58
They are finalizing the details for a public memorial and are setting up a foundation to send donations in lieu of flowers and cards. As soon as I know I will post it here.

On a personal note, I was attending a Historic Sportscar race in Sebring when I got the news. I have lost too many friends in motorsports of the years and had the extremely bad luck of being present at some of them but none of them has hurt and angered me more than Dan's.
I am trying to put together a video report for our show on Wednesday but my heart just isn't in it. Only thing I do know is that I will not show the accident again. We have all seen it enough.

heliocastroneves#3
17th October 2011, 21:02
Las Vegas Motor Speedway is not an oval track for IndyCars.... It was in the past, but since the "update" in 2006, it's just only for NASCAR.

Indeed, ChampCar used the high downforce wing configuration, but in my opinion that was a bit overreacted. When IndyCar drove on the old Las Vegas Motor Speedway from 1996 until 2000 with the standard low downforce wing configuration, nothing happened.

I'm pretty sure if we drove on the old Las Vegas Motor Speedway, this accident had never happened.

I'm still very shocked, and very grief about Dan's loss. I never imagined, I would be that emotional after the loss of a driver. Okay, I felt it when Ratzenberger, Brayton, Gonzalez, Renna and Dana died.. But that wasn't as much as it now is. There we prove again what for a special guy Danny was. I'm now as grief as I was when we lost Senna and Moore.

October 16th, 2011 - one of the blackest days in motorsports history.

FIAT1
17th October 2011, 21:17
R.I.P

Malbec
18th October 2011, 21:04
Having followed Dan Wheldon's career in the UK I was a longstanding fan of his. He was very highly rated but never had the kind of financial backing that took Jenson Button to new levels which was why Dan was picked up by Julian Jacobi and sent across the Atlantic.

Not being a fan of Indycar I did carry on following his career at a distance and I wasn't surprised by his success, it was a reflection of his level of talent.

He will be missed, RIP. My thoughts go to his wife and his children who are both so young they'll barely have memories of their father.

Rex Monaco
19th October 2011, 01:40
Godspeed Dan Wheldon.

Osella
19th October 2011, 09:42
I'm still in shock over it.. Then I think somehow I'm overreacting.. but then I think it's down to your personal connections/recollections.
I too saw Dan race a lot in 97/98 in the UK, and for sure he had just as much ability as the guys like Button, Webber, Ambrose etc who were racing at around the same time. I was so pleased to see him get into Indycar, then to Andretti Green, and winning the Indy 500 and the championship. We still call him 'Chitty' after those FFord days.

I was dismayed as much though, that his untimely death gained more coverage in the UK than both off his Indy 500 wins and championship combined.. Sad that he was only known and recognised in his native country by a tragedy rather than his success through sheer determination.

I'm glad that Dallara has decided to name the new car in recognition of Dan. And he was such a brilliant commentator too!! Made me laugh :)
I do hope his family's privacy and grief is respected, and I hope Dan's spirit gives them the strength to pull through.

Robinho
19th October 2011, 12:46
Gutted, absolutely gutted, been trying to get on here since monday morning but not been able to log in. was just going to bed on sunday night when I checked the autosport page which said the race had been stopped due to an accidnet. Saw the video of the crash and started reading twitter and waiting for the news that I think we all knew and feared.

Horrible circumstances, horrible accident and hit me hard, so many parallels with my own life in that he was my age, grew up in my area in the UK, went to a school near mine, had 2 children a similar age to mine, all just makes me so sad.

RIP Dan

Wasted Talent
19th October 2011, 13:50
Awful news.......my thoughts go to his family and friends

RIP Dan

Captain VXR
19th October 2011, 22:37
RIP Dan

numanoid
20th October 2011, 17:46
I'm still very shocked, and very grief about Dan's loss. I never imagined, I would be that emotional after the loss of a driver. Okay, I felt it when Ratzenberger, Brayton, Gonzalez, Renna and Dana died.. But that wasn't as much as it now is. There we prove again what for a special guy Danny was. I'm now as grief as I was when we lost Senna and Moore.

I'm with you on this one. I'm really surprised on how torn up about this I am. My wife as well. I think that it's more the loss of a really nice guy to that of a champion driver. Some of the personalities in Indycar really shine and make you want to like them. Others, not so much... :D

I don't want to sound insensitive or disrespectful, but had this happened to a number of other drivers, I would have been shocked and certainly saddened by the loss of life, but I wouldn't be nearly as emotional over this as I am now.

I still can't bring myself to watch the race coverage (on DVR) because I don't want to see his in car reporting...It's just going to mess me up.

jwhite9185
20th October 2011, 19:38
Found this interview from 1996 while sorting through some stuff last week.

twitpic.com/7373nj

00steven
21st October 2011, 03:22
I haven't been able to be online lately for various reasons. But I certainly would be remissed to not talk about Dan.

Dan Wheldon was one of my favorite racecar drivers ever. His skill, charisma, and heart were amoung the greatest ever seen. I think it's fair to say the guy is a legend. The way he mastered Indy was incredible and I believe that he had a shot at another win or two at the 500. Dan made me do something that I haven't done in a long time, cry. I felt as though I knew the guy and grew to love him over the years.

My prayers and love are forever with Dan and his wife and kids.