PDA

View Full Version : The 'one move' rule clarified

wedge
15th October 2011, 14:35
Methinks this is going to open up a can of worms.

Stricter version of 'one move' rule to be adopted for Korean Grand Prix - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95369)

Article 16.1 is a joke, just like the team orders ban.

Mark
15th October 2011, 14:38
Interesting that they can now also hand out a reprimand at the same time as a drive through.

N4D13
15th October 2011, 14:47
Well, I might be the only one, but I think that this is a good idea.

fandango
15th October 2011, 16:49
I thought team orders were now allowable. Perhaps you're saying it was a joke when it was illegal.

I think this is a good thing too, because it's a clarification of what one move means. The article mentions how people were critical of Schumacher's driving in Monza against Hamilton, that he drove to the limit of the regulations. I find that a strange criticism, because any driver who isn't driving to the limit of the regulations to defend a position shouldn't be in the car imo. What this does is clarify what the limit is.

I also sense an indirect reference to Vettel's Japan start against Button. I thought what he did was fine. He put Button in a position where Button had to decide between crashing, going onto the grass or lifting off.

The thing that I think is a joke is the reprimand system. It seems far too unclear. I think a points system makes more sense, where a driver can miss a race through accumulating bad driving. The problem with imposing a race ban system, though, is commercial. Imagine Vettel missing the German GP, Hamilton missing the British GP or Alonso missing the Spanish GP. The organisers would lose a lot of money, and I don't know if it would be good for the sport's image. They need to clarify the penalty system more first.

vhatever
15th October 2011, 17:06
I'm getting tired of this "sport" being driven into the ground with all these gimmicks.

Tires that randomly fall off the car, Super mario cart turbo buttons for the slower drivers to make up for their lack of skill/tech, no defending your position. What's next, banana peels and oil slicks on the track? Maybe some random explosions, too? Maybe your rev limiter drops down to barely keeping the car running if you have been driving for more than a lap and haven't passed anyone or been passed?

ioan
23rd October 2011, 23:15
I'm getting tired of this "sport" being driven into the ground with all these gimmicks.

Tires that randomly fall off the car, Super mario cart turbo buttons for the slower drivers to make up for their lack of skill/tech, no defending your position. What's next, banana peels and oil slicks on the track? Maybe some random explosions, too? Maybe your rev limiter drops down to barely keeping the car running if you have been driving for more than a lap and haven't passed anyone or been passed?

Agreed.

ArrowsFA1
26th October 2011, 10:08
This seems to be drivers abdicating their own responsibility. They are the ones racing. They know the potential risks. They should have enough respect for each other not to need yet more rules telling them what is, or isn't, acceptable.

Knock-on
26th October 2011, 12:43
As I understood it, it was pretty clear. You took the racing line.

If a driver behind was making a legitimate attempt at a pass, you had respect for other drivers and didn't put them in a barrier or off the track.

If they were taking the pi$$ by having a go where there was no chance (like Massa tried to do the other day) then you closed the door.

The problem is that Racing is so much safer than it used to be and all drivers coming through the ranks think they can act like (some) F1 drivers.

ArrowsFA1
26th October 2011, 13:28
Perhaps the Race Director should have direct access to the driver radio instead of having to issue warnings via the team.

BDunnell
26th October 2011, 13:45
The problem is that Racing is so much safer than it used to be and all drivers coming through the ranks think they can act like (some) F1 drivers.

Another problem is the way in which there is now a perceived need in all walks of life to always have a mechanism for apportioning blame.

Knock-on
27th October 2011, 10:56
Another problem is the way in which there is now a perceived need in all walks of life to always have a mechanism for apportioning blame.

You reminded me of an email I got. It was supposed to have been a speech given by Bill Gates to a School. It would have been superb if it really was :laugh:

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world doesn't care about your self-esteem.
The world will expect you to accomplish something
BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.
You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.
Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping:
They called it opportunity.

Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault,
so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring
as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you
talk about how cool you thought you were

So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent's generation,
try delousing the closet in your own room..

Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades
and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.
*This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters.
You don't get summers off and very few employers
are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.
*Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life.
In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds.
Chances are you'll end up working for one..

Bobbi Petrov
5th November 2011, 04:17
I like F1

SGWilko
7th November 2011, 12:30
I like F1

Profound, dude!

kfzmeister
7th November 2011, 14:46
I like F1

I actually agree! Me, too.

555-04Q2
7th November 2011, 14:52
And the F1 Circus moves on...

Garry Walker
9th November 2011, 18:40
Getting dumber by the day. If it was for the fact that I have watched F1 for so long and it has become an habit, I would'nt probably watch any of those crap artificial races anymore, it is beyond boring.

wedge
5th January 2012, 01:08
It's official

Article 20.3 of the F1 sporting regulations:

"More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. "

"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."

Looks another can of worms have been opened.

ArrowsFA1
9th January 2012, 10:23
:up:

Aren't these the best racing drivers in the world? Do they really need yet another rule to tell them how they should or shouldn't race?

The Black Knight
9th January 2012, 12:49
It's official

Article 20.3 of the F1 sporting regulations:

"More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. "

"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."

They really need to do away with this article. It's a load of rubbish. Not alone that but what is one car width exactly? If I leave exactly one car width then how can another car possibly fit there without hitting me?

Next thing you know they'll be putting lines on the track to identify the cars width. It has just gotten ridiculous now. Let the guys race for heaven's sake.

Bagwan
9th January 2012, 13:42
Michael got pretty close to the one car width with Rubens a while back , and people got pretty excited .
Mind you , it wasn't on the inside , into a corner .

But , it's pretty simple , really .

Exactly one car width would see the cars touch into the corner , so , obviously , it's meant to get more exposure for the advertising on the sidepods , as the camera shows the tire marks after a tight encounter .
I would suggest it be called the "interlocking" rule .

And , won't that be exciting , seeing cars flipped into the air into the high-speed corners ?

Perhaps it's just Bernie , lobbying the Swiss for a race in the Alps , in Interlochen , on Lake Geneva .
No . Wait .
It was my idea to call it "interlocking" .

But , I've been there , and it would make a stunning backdrop for a race .
Can you imagine cars flipping into the water at every corner ?
Wouldn't that be cool ?

We could award medals for the best splash .
No . Wait .

"We" ?
Did I just say "we" ?

Oh , man , I think this is some kind of Bernie mind control thing going on here .
Can't ........think ...........straight ....................................

ArrowsFA1
9th January 2012, 14:53
Michael got pretty close to the one car width with Rubens a while back , and people got pretty excited .
Mind you , it wasn't on the inside , into a corner .
Good point. It wasn't on the approach to the corner so do we assume it's perfectly ok to squeeze people into a wall, or onto the grass, as long as it's not on the approach to the corner?

Bagwan
9th January 2012, 15:32
Where does the approach to the corner begin ?

ArrowsFA1
9th January 2012, 15:46
Where does the approach to the corner begin ?
The exit of the previous corner :confused:
The braking zone for the corner in question :confused:

Bagwan
9th January 2012, 16:40
What if this all involves a chicane ?
You'd have to allow room on the outside , because that's the approach to the inside of the next ?

wedge
10th January 2012, 00:22
Good point. It wasn't on the approach to the corner so do we assume it's perfectly ok to squeeze people into a wall, or onto the grass, as long as it's not on the approach to the corner?

Well you just have to time your one move right for it to be legit but there's Article 20.4 (previously 20.3):

"Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted."

Makes you wonder why its written in the first place...

Garry Walker
18th January 2012, 18:09
Another idiocy by FIA