PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japanese Grand Prix thread

AndyL
7th October 2011, 10:28
Friday practice completed and no-one's started the Japanese GP thread :)

With Button topping both sessions it doesn't look like he's given up the fight yet.

Not looking too positive for Williams so far. Might come under threat from Lotus this weekend.

RS
7th October 2011, 11:16

With Button topping both sessions it doesn't look like he's given up the fight yet.

Not looking too positive for Williams so far. Might come under threat from Lotus this weekend.

Yes, Williams scrapping with the Virgins and Mouldy Pastanado behind both :(

I am evil Homer
7th October 2011, 11:23
Jesus Williams look awful...slow and twitchy is never a good combination. Could be there for the taking for Lotus

Robinho
7th October 2011, 12:08
after they have said they've made a big step in understanding the car and improving its set up and driveability ahead of this weekend, i think maybe they were wrong

I am evil Homer
7th October 2011, 12:14
I think "maybe" is an understatement. Sure Rubens had a puncture and Pastor had engine issues before the car has, for most of the season, looked like a complete dog...the downward trajectory of the team is sad.

F1boat
7th October 2011, 12:32
So sad... yesterday I watched a 1992 race and they were great then...

555-04Q2
7th October 2011, 13:32
They weren't great, they were dominant back then!!!!! Rome.....

airshifter
8th October 2011, 05:03
Looks like Jenson is planning on doing his best to stay in the fight. Probably a lost cause but a great attitude none the less.

That on board of Kobayashi's off was amazing! Great save Kamui!

I hope this years race has some action. Last year Kobayashi put on a great show but the front of the field was rather boring.

ioan
8th October 2011, 06:46

Qualifying almost over and still only 8 posts. Interest in F1 looks to be getting to a new low.

ioan
8th October 2011, 07:03
And Seb does it again.

But what about 4 cars not setting a time and choosing to save tires for the race?
Will Pirelli again complain and what to reduce the tire set number for next season?

Ranger
8th October 2011, 07:09
Should be an interesting race with tyre degradation tomorrow.

At least hopefully, might be the only thing that stops Vettel after that sneaky pole position...

jens
8th October 2011, 07:11
Vettel's ability to turn qualis in his favour with his last attempt is amazing. Although RBR has won all Q-s this year, several of them have been really close (Malaysia, Hungary). Webber's form in qualis has been quite miserable recently for whatever. He is barely earning another RBR drive for next year...

It also looks like Force India could find it too difficult to threaten Renault in WCC. Singapore was an exception, both black cars in Q3 like also at Spa and Monza. Although it should be noted they haven't been that good in race trim recently.

Good to see Kobayashi in Q3 after ages again. Hopefully he will get a decent points finish too... also after a long time.

Dave B
8th October 2011, 07:43
Qualifying almost over and still only 8 posts. Interest in F1 looks to be getting to a new low.

I was watching from my very warm and comfortable bed, and couldn't be bothered to post.

Just for one moment I thought we might have a non Red Bull pole, but Button just couldn't find that last 1/100th. I wonder if Hamilton might have been able to nick pole if he hadn't got tied up fighting for track position with Schumacher and Webber. Hey ho.

I do agree that the tyre allocation rules might need a tweak for 2012 so there's no advantage in not running in qualifying.

Rosberg might be one to watch tomorrow with his massive stock of unused tyres, we've seen that work out for people before now.

Robinho
8th October 2011, 07:56
did anyone see Button "assault" vettel on the weighbridge whilst they were looking at the times, a good couple of little punches on the arm, much more than Massa on Hamilton, assume the requisite authorities are investigating this most heinous crime ;)

F1boat
8th October 2011, 08:07
Great effort from Sebastian, he is really amazing this year and this is probably one of his best Poles ever. I am really curious whether he is gonna beat the record of Mansell, set in 1992. I wish him best luck tomorrow, but one have to congratulate Jenson for the fighting spirit. He is really not giving up. Bravo!

ioan
8th October 2011, 08:17
did anyone see Button "assault" vettel on the weighbridge whilst they were looking at the times, a good couple of little punches on the arm, much more than Massa on Hamilton, assume the requisite authorities are investigating this most heinous crime ;)

;) :up:

F1boat
8th October 2011, 09:34
They weren't great, they were dominant back then!!!!! Rome.....

But guess what? The Newey-Renault combo is still dominant... after so many years...

Mark
8th October 2011, 12:35
Another cock up by McLaren, hardly surprising!

ioan
8th October 2011, 14:23
Another cock up by McLaren, hardly surprising!

By McLaren? What did they do wrong?

Bagwan
8th October 2011, 14:27

Firstly , it's on at stupid o'clock , so I watched this morning .
Second , I was up late , but not quite until stupid o'clock .
And , third , we have thanksgiving weekend going on around here .

Too bad the red shoe didn't manage to keep that last lap on the road . I was hoping he could snatch a 3rd or 4th position .

Somehow , I don't think this one is going to go easy for the bulls .
He's got the pole , so maybe they could engineer an engine failure for him , and a win for Bunbun , to extend the race to the next race .
Or , perhaps the Macs will use the redmist torpedo .

ioan
8th October 2011, 14:50
Make no mistake RBR set their cars up for the race, where it's the most important to continuously have good pace. The poles are a bonus due to Vettel's ability to push it to the limit for one lap.

steveaki13
8th October 2011, 18:08
Yer

People Don't forget how fast Red Bull have been here in the past and also more importantly how quick the Bulls were on their long runs on Friday.

Could still end up being a simple win for Seb.

Lets hope its a Mclaren 1, 2 into turn one, that might make for a brill race.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th October 2011, 19:42
Another disappointing qualifying from Lewis IMO. What on earth was he doing after 130R slowing down fiddling with the steering wheel? Any how, I think this is the first Japanese GP for many years that I will not be getting up extra early for. I'll stick it on record and watch it later in the day I think. The championship is over and its a season to forget from my perspective, but hey. A podium for Lewis would be most welcome none the less. :)

He would be adjusting fuel mix settings ,no?

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:02
Another disappointing qualifying from Lewis IMO. What on earth was he doing after 130R slowing down fiddling with the steering wheel? Any how, I think this is the first Japanese GP for many years that I will not be getting up extra early for. I'll stick it on record and watch it later in the day I think. The championship is over and its a season to forget from my perspective, but hey. A podium for Lewis would be most welcome none the less. :)

yeah and then lewis tried to engage in some words about schuie's driving when Lewis tried to block both Webber and Schuie.

and schuie called him stupid...

then Lewis called him dangerous, and I called for my breakfast in bed :s nore:

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:07

Just heard on Twitter that they got an arrest warrant that will be served on the grid about five minutes before the start. But don't tell anybody, cause it is suppose to be a surprize for Button

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:10
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1318056614.jpgLewis tries to wake up schuie, but he was too sleepy to come out to play after the last qualifying

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:16
seems Lewis popped off and there were some words from Schuie not being able to do his lap due to Lewis, and so forth. Not seen anything where lewis said it was his fault for causing the incident.

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:24
Analysis Of Hamilton's Japanese GP Qualifying Incident: BBC F1 2011 - Round 15: Japanese GP - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcAGthnzMEc&feature=share)

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:32
I will call your BBC, and raise with one Autosport......

Hamilton says Schumacher's move during qualifying was dangerous - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95149)

"Hamilton says Schumacher's move during qualifying was dangerous"

me, I am still waiting on breakfast

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:34
of course you might get all picky and read the exact quotes in the article, but hey, that would spoil the ruckus for da show

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:45
actually he seems to be referring to the whole incident, and not to anyone's move in particular: "and then just was I was coming into the chicane, I looked in the mirror and saw Mark diving inside me. And then I didn't see Michael but he came past me and we nearly crashed with me to the left. It was quite dangerous."

and schuie said (appearing to referencce missing the flag by a second as that being stupid, rather than to Hamilton per se):

"luckily nobody else - or at least Kobayashi - didn't go out again to set another lap, because that would have meant I would have been shy by probably a second. Which was a bit stupid - at the last chicane everybody was driving so slow.
"I saw my time, so I knew I had to go through somehow otherwise I wouldn't make it. I just missed it [the flag] by a second. Bit of a shame, but it didn't make a problem in the end."

but i liked the name calling stuff better, true or not

where is my BREAKFAST!!!

boring season (and not DonKey's kind of "boring") when this is about all the excitement to be ginned up

CNR
8th October 2011, 23:29
i am lewis you can not pass me -what a f.w

Hamilton stunned by 'ridiculous' qualifying | Reuters (http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/10/08/idINIndia-59779820111008)

hanging back to create a gap to team mate Jenson Button ahead, then failed to cross the line in time to start a second flying lap before the chequered flag was waved while Red Bull's Mark Webber and Mercedes' Schumacher surged past on either side.
"Just as I was coming into the chicane I looked in my mirror and I saw Mark diving up the inside of me," the 2008 Formula One champion told reporters.
"Out of nowhere, he just shot up the inside and nearly crashed with me, so I had to avoid him.
"And then I saw, I didn't even see Michael as I gave Mark room, but he nearly crashed on me on the left, so it was quite dangerous.
"I don't know what the hell he was doing, but he (Schumacher) went off onto the grass. It was just the most ridiculous thing I've ever experienced in qualifying," said Hamilton, who has been involved in numerous crashes and controversies this season -- mostly of his own making.

Blocking - hanging back to create a gap - where is his grid penalty

CNR
8th October 2011, 23:31
Blocking - hanging back to create a gap - where is his grid penalty

he got away last year with this
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/30754.html
Hamilton escapes further grid penalty for blocking

kfzmeister
9th October 2011, 01:01

The season's over! Vettel needs 1 point. You're surprised?

airshifter
9th October 2011, 02:58
Great lap by Vettel to grab the pole. He was pushing hard for that one! :)

It's a shame Kobayashi didn't finish his flying lap. It would have either forced MS and the Renaults to do a flying lap, or promoted Kamui to 7th on the grid if they didn't. In either case great to see Kamui make it into final qually in front of his home crowd. I would watch him at the hairpin during the race if he can get close. I noticed he seemed to be experimenting with several lines into that corner, moving the apex slightly. After his late braking performance last year during the race I tend to think he is trying to work out ways to do it again this year.

It was also reported that Kobay had paid for somewhere around 100 people to attend the race, some from the disaster stricken areas of Japan. Good on him, and refreshing to see someone trying to remain so in touch with the average person and/or race fan. :up:

kfzmeister
9th October 2011, 05:00
Great lap by Vettel to grab the pole. He was pushing hard for that one! :)

It's a shame Kobayashi didn't finish his flying lap. It would have either forced MS and the Renaults to do a flying lap, or promoted Kamui to 7th on the grid if they didn't.

He actually starts on P7 tomorrow, due to the fact that Schum, Senna and Petrov didn't set a time in Q3 to save tires. That promotes Kam to P7...

airshifter
9th October 2011, 05:19
He actually starts on P7 tomorrow, due to the fact that Schum, Senna and Petrov didn't set a time in Q3 to save tires. That promotes Kam to P7...

Excellent. I wasn't aware of the way the regulation worked. It seems that since he started a flying lap, he is classified ahead of the others even though he aborted the flying lap and pitted.

MS starts behind him due to going out and then back in, even though he never even started a flying lap.

Great twist for him in front of his home crowd. Go Kobay!

steveaki13
9th October 2011, 06:26
Great twist for him in front of his home crowd. Go Kobay!

Absolutley

Would love to see him have another great race this year.

F1boat
9th October 2011, 08:39
Well done for top 3. Great win for Jenson, great 2nd for Alonso and awesome WDC for Seb. The three best drivers this season, methinks.

donKey jote
9th October 2011, 08:40
yep :up:

Robinho
9th October 2011, 08:43
Jenson "didn't you see me at the start?"
Seb "yeah, you were behind"
Jenson "C'mon, i was coming alongside and on the grass"

all smiles though

F1boat
9th October 2011, 08:45
Jenson "didn't you see me at the start?"
Seb "yeah, you were behind"
all smiles though

:D

AndyL
9th October 2011, 08:45
That safety car turned out to have been luckier than we knew for Button, he'd have been really short on fuel without it.

F1boat
9th October 2011, 08:47
That safety car turned out to have been luckier than we knew for Button, he'd have been really short on fuel without it.

Yes, now that you mention it, it certainly looks that way.

ioan
9th October 2011, 08:48
You bet.
It was also an interesting safety car deployment reason. Don't remember last time when a safety car was deployed for removing a couple of carbon bits.

F1boat
9th October 2011, 08:50
You bet.
It was also an interesting safety car deployment reason. Don't remember last time when a safety car was deployed for removing a couple of carbon bits.

It was dangerous IMO. The piece was in a bad place and was very sharp. SC was the right decision.

Malbec
9th October 2011, 08:50
It was also reported that Kobay had paid for somewhere around 100 people to attend the race, some from the disaster stricken areas of Japan. Good on him, and refreshing to see someone trying to remain so in touch with the average person and/or race fan. :up:

Kudos to him for doing that, but also kudos to Bernie who quietly bought $1 million worth of tickets and distributed them free to families from the disaster hit areas.

Shame Kobayashi didn't score points on his home race, yet again a poor strategy call from Sauber or a gamble that didn't work depending on your point of view.

Good race alround though I thought, nice to see the Red Bulls getting beaten in a fair fight on an aero track. The championship might be over but the last few races might be the closest of the season!

Knock-on
9th October 2011, 08:51
McLaren ran uber aggressive on fuel and great management to even bring it home but I suspect that Alonso and Vettel wouldn't have been able to push as hard if they hadn't saved fuel under the SC.

AndyL
9th October 2011, 08:53
Good race alround though I thought, nice to see the Red Bulls getting beaten in a fair fight on an aero track. The championship might be over but the last few races might be the closest of the season!

Probably because they started concentrating on the 2012 car about 2 months ago ;) :eek:

ioan
9th October 2011, 08:55
McLaren ran uber aggressive on fuel and great management to even bring it home but I suspect that Alonso and Vettel wouldn't have been able to push as hard if they hadn't saved fuel under the SC.

That we will never know.

Knock-on
9th October 2011, 08:57
That we will never know.

Which is why I said 'suspect' :rolleyes:

ioan
9th October 2011, 09:01
Which is why I said 'suspect' :rolleyes:

I 'suspect' you slept bad this night, cause otherwise I don't see why you get so worked up.

Mia 01
9th October 2011, 09:07
Congrats Jenson, a clam and very clever race. And Fernando, where did you came from.

Seb, you did it, the youngest two time WDC ever!!

jens
9th October 2011, 09:50
Interesting race. The top6 were really tightly together for half a race, all within 10 seconds. So a shame that Hamilton and Massa dropped so dramatically backwards in the last phase of the race. Just when it looked like Massa is actually having a good race, he still ended up in 7th with his team-mate 2nd.

Button has finally managed to get a dry weather win at McLaren. :) Ferrari was a real factor and kept Red Bull and McLaren in sight throughout the race. They were also surprisingly strong on harder tyre this time.

For most of the race Force India looked set for certain points, so I wonder, why did they drop off so dramatically in the end?

Perez tried an alternative strategy and it paid off brilliantly, while Kobayashi's strategy was strange. No pitstops after the SC, so - like in Hungary - he was just a sitting duck in the end. What a pity.

Senna, while qualifying well, hasn't been particularly impressive in races. So this is something to work on. In mid-race it looked like Renault has shot in the foot with their strategy (similar to Perez'), but Petrov managed to salvage something in the end.

Maldonado has beaten Barrichello for four races in a row now, so the Brazilian is very much performing like a driver on his way to retirement.

wedge
10th October 2011, 01:02
Vettel: There are not many Virgins in F1! :D

The Black Knight
11th October 2011, 08:58
Vettel: There are not many Virgins in F1! :D

Haha, yeah. That was hilarious. Great stuff from the champ :s mokin:

steveaki13
11th October 2011, 17:51
He really is a nice guy outwardly. I believe he is quite tough in the team, which makes him the driver he is.

Also he got very emotional when showed a montage of the past F1 back to back champions and its good to see a driver who loves and respects the history of F1.