PDA

View Full Version : This might soon be the only IRL forum left

bugeyedgomer
6th October 2011, 04:46
As a result of this weekend's attendance & TV number seemingly being the final straw, the mod over at TF has thrown in the towel, so to speak, regarding indycar.

Paradoxically Sublime

That ought to just about do it.

Fun while it lasted.

Why? I think we're done.

I quit poring over the latest ratings a while back, because it didn't matter if they went a tenth this way or that - if they didn't double, triple, and then quadruple real quick, then that would be it, the series would fold, and possibly the Indianapolis 500 with it - certainly as we have known it now for the last couple of decades.

Instead, they are now a half or a tenth of what they were.

I don't expect it to "come back". All you gloaters (you) and negative nellies (Howie and Chrissie) can enjoy, but I got over crying about it long ago. Life goes on.

Happy now?

SarahFan
6th October 2011, 05:16
Are you forgetting the smackies?

bugeyedgomer
6th October 2011, 06:17
I heard about that place; unfortunately so did my wife and it's off limits

SarahFan
6th October 2011, 06:31
Seriously?

bugeyedgomer
6th October 2011, 06:34
Yep, she said her children weren't going to grow up in a home where that sort of stuff is allowed.

SarahFan
6th October 2011, 06:41
Language?

bugeyedgomer
6th October 2011, 06:46
Yes, pretty much the crude and rude essence of the place

numanoid
6th October 2011, 16:47
Dumb reason to close a forum.

beachbum
7th October 2011, 14:32
The TF Indy Car forum hasn't been closed, but it has been overrun with the loonies from the old Indy Car forum. The moderator is having "challenges" keeping the children in line. More than a couple seem like refugees from that "other" forum where the handful of posters are still living in the past

The low point is when drivers like PT post and then get blasted because they "don't know what they are talking out". Right.

SarahFan
7th October 2011, 15:04
PT doesn't post because he shot off his mouth about Bernard then got spanked and subsequently claimed his account was hacked

bugeyedgomer
7th October 2011, 16:08
Where is old E-Stand from the Speednet forum days who in 2001 was egging the CART teams to "come to Indy and show me what you've got"

Lee Roy
7th October 2011, 17:31
Where is old E-Stand from the Speednet forum days who in 2001 was egging the CART teams to "come to Indy and show me what you've got"

I'd forgotten about E-Stand. Those were some wild days on Speednet.

bugeyedgomer
7th October 2011, 21:56
I'd forgotten about E-Stand. Those were some wild days on Speednet.

here he is from the compuserve days

Calling Cart's Bluff - rec.autos.sport.indy | Google Groups (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.sport.indy/browse_thread/thread/8bbff197e89fca26/10aff1bd18db98ab#10aff1bd18db98ab)

SoCalPVguy
8th October 2011, 16:10
PT doesn't post because he shot off his mouth about Bernard then got spanked and subsequently claimed his account was hacked

You mean "hacked" like Anthony Weiner's ?

SarahFan
8th October 2011, 16:17
You mean "hacked" like Anthony Weiner's ?

Yep

SoCalPVguy
9th October 2011, 00:32
Might soon be no IRL to even have a forum for :-(

drewdawg727
9th October 2011, 03:02
always have been loyal to this site, so even if TF folds, I will still be here!

Dr. Krogshöj
9th October 2011, 09:13
This is a nice forum because most posters live in the reality, and not a fantasy world they create for themselves. Like a world where Champ Car still exists and is at war with the IRL. Or a world where Indy still has anything common with traditional USAC open wheel short track racing (which has not been the case since the seventies). Or a world where Danica Patrick wins every race... Oh wait!

beachbum
9th October 2011, 12:02
This is a nice forum because most posters live in the reality, and not a fantasy world they create for themselves. To quote a "somewhat" famous retired race driver "that is quite true".

I am not sure what happened to the demographics of that other forum (not the one dreaming of the revival of Champ Car), but they behave like a bunch of children in a dark basement with nothing better to do than trash everything, attack every other poster, and come up with weird ideas. Most obviously know nothing about racing or the business of racing.

What I like about this forum is the fact that most of the posters are knowledgeable about racing and actually write respectful and usually thoughtful posts. The "discussions" rarely sound like kids on the playground trying to "one up" each other with more outlandish statements. Even DF posts informative posts and is in tune with much at the track - even with his overinflated view of one driver.

In my mind, there seems to be only one Indy Car forum left - this one.

SarahFan
9th October 2011, 13:59
I like this forum
Because their is less members to keep track of

;)

bblocker68
11th October 2011, 17:29
It's fun to read the fodder over there. There is enjoyable reading in other sections of the forum, but the main part is on the verge of anarchy.

downtowndeco
11th October 2011, 18:39
There's about half a dozen guys who have made it their purpose in life to complain about and second guess every move Indycar has ever made. The amount of glea it brings them to run to the forum & report a bad TV rating or some other type of bad news about Indycar verges on the bizarre. They remind me of the Japanese solidiers in WWII hiding in caves who had not heard the war is over and that they lost.

Things have been better, things have been worse. Life goes on as does the Indy 500, which will once again be run next May under sunny skys and the largest motorsports crowd in the US.

anthonyvop
11th October 2011, 20:01
There's about half a dozen guys who have made it their purpose in life to complain about and second guess every move Indycar has ever made. The amount of glea it brings them to run to the forum & report a bad TV rating or some other type of bad news about Indycar verges on the bizarre. They remind me of the Japanese solidiers in WWII hiding in caves who had not heard the war is over and that they lost.

Wonder who you are talking about because they are quick to ban anyone who dares to disagree that the Indy500 is the great race ever. Indy is the greatest city ever and Tenderlions are the greatest food ever.

SarahFan
11th October 2011, 20:03
When have things been worse?

bugeyedgomer
11th October 2011, 21:30

When CART was generating 9s & 10s for Indy and there wasn't a forum for IMS place fans to complain about it

Chris R
11th October 2011, 23:55

1945 when grass was growing through the bricks??? :(

1997 when the cars needed diapers?? :rolleyes:

1998 when the field was bad enough that Eddie Cheever won??? :D

1910 when the place could barely stay open and had to come up with a wacky idea to run 500 miles??? :eek:

I don't know - pretty hard to say but I kind of think year or two leading up to "reunification" was worse than right now -

SarahFan
12th October 2011, 01:16
I'll go with 98' .... But we still had CART

SarahFan
12th October 2011, 01:17
And the Champcar years still saw the IRL without versus...

As far as the others..... Clearly another time

Chris R
12th October 2011, 01:43
oooo, wait - I have it, SPIKE!!!! THAT was worse...... :mad:

seriously, I think things have been worse but that is not saying the future is all rosy an things are good.... we are talking that it has gone to Defcon 4 and now we are at Defcon 3.999999999995..... ok maybe 3.98.... :D

SarahFan
12th October 2011, 01:48
'the spike contact was decades ahead of it's time'-defender

nigelred5
12th October 2011, 11:47
Wonder who you are talking about because they are quick to ban anyone who dares to disagree that the Indy500 is the great race ever. Indy is the greatest city ever and Tenderlions are the greatest food ever.

Well, I might agree with that...just not the ones served at IMS ;)

Lousada
12th October 2011, 12:46
'the spike contact was decades ahead of it's time'-defender

That guy scares me. He is as fanatical about Indycar as only the most extreme fundamentalists are about their religion. I dread the day that Indycar stops and that guy needs to find another obsession.

SarahFan
12th October 2011, 15:12
I hear ya .... Something very very wrong about the dude

DBell
12th October 2011, 16:26
You guys are behind the times. He's Disciple of Indycar now. :rolleyes: At least that's what I saw when I lurked at TF recently. Must have been a condition on him coming back that he couldn't be defender anymore. How messed up is that? The person can come back (after multiple bans), but the moniker can't? What difference does that make? It's still the same old stick that's gotten him banded before.

They let Chris Paft back in too. He's still the same broken record, needs Americans only and all ovals. Someone should tell him there is a series called Nascar that meets his requirements. Paft is apparently getting married and planning on reproducing. :uhoh: That's why I stopped lurking there for a long time. nothing bad news to read. :D