PDA

View Full Version : McLaren extend Buttons contract

Knock-on
5th October 2011, 11:17
The strongest pairing is around for a couple of more years yet :)

Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/10/12595.html)

airshifter
5th October 2011, 11:32
Good move on the part of both McLaren and Jenson.

I just wonder how things are going to work if Lewis continues to self destruct on track and they have to make Jenson the clear #1 driver.

Knock-on
5th October 2011, 11:36
Come on shifter, you know he's having a crap year. He'll be back with a bang (pun intended) next year :D

Mark
5th October 2011, 11:42
A British team with two British drivers. Excellent :D

ahkinet
5th October 2011, 11:50
Its give us lots of interest and pleasure. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. Its really a good article. It gives me lots of pleasure and interest.

zako85
5th October 2011, 12:31
It will be a pleasure to see him continue driving a McLaren car.

Robinho
5th October 2011, 13:09
great news, Jenson has on the whole driven fantastically this year, a couple of dodgy quallys aside. He seems to be bringing a lot to the team, they only ever have positive things to say about his driving, his demeanour and his commitment. Its clear he's enjoying himself.

Whilst I agree he might not be Hamiltons equal for pure speed, as a driver and a racer he is every bit as good if not a touch better at the moment. In a dominant car I think he'd be second to Hamilton more often than beating him, but in a competitive car he seem sto be able to use his head a race through better

Mia 01
5th October 2011, 15:47
It would be very interesting to read his new contract.

GridGirl
6th October 2011, 13:02

But for how long? I have nothing to substantiate my opinion but I just dont think that Hamilton will be in a Mclaren in 2013.

Hawkmoon
6th October 2011, 13:12

A British (ie. owned by Germans and Arabs and powered by Germans) team with two British drivers. ;)

ArrowsFA1
6th October 2011, 15:54
A British (ie. owned by Germans and Arabs and powered by Germans) team with two British drivers. ;)
And founded by a New Zealander, Bruce McLaren (http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/) :)

Zico
6th October 2011, 19:03
Fully deserved, he's done a fantastic job this season.

JasonD
7th October 2011, 17:05
I dont get it, he bashes Alonso (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169357/1/button_surprised_by_new_alonso_deal.html) for signing a 5 year deal and yet he's willing to tie himself up for 4-5 years.

Knock-on
7th October 2011, 17:44
Pretty sloppy Jason. He never had a go at Alonso but expressed surprise that he signed a 5 year contract stating that nobody knows what will happen in 5 years so it was a long time to commit to.

What is Jensons new Contract details again?

That must be the worst attempt at Trolling we have seen for a long time :laugh:

JasonD
7th October 2011, 18:55
Pretty sloppy Jason. He never had a go at Alonso but expressed surprise that he signed a 5 year contract stating that nobody knows what will happen in 5 years so it was a long time to commit to.
Maybe Im reading to much into it but I think you can infer from his comments what he thought of Alonsos deal.

Maybe you know more than I do. It is reported as being a multi-year deal, sure that could be 2 years more likely more than that though.

Thats a pretty lame comment, I'm not trolling. I thought I could state my opinion here?

Robinho
7th October 2011, 20:27
from what i've read its 3 years with options on both sides for a 4th and possibly 5th year

ioan
7th October 2011, 21:02

You're a hypocrite. Just saying.

Mia 01
7th October 2011, 21:04
Sorry, Iīm a bit lost (as always), got a picture of Jenson eating Lewis but canīt load it.

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:49
dont listen to that henners, he is such a chicken......do it!!!

donKey jote
8th October 2011, 20:53
he's a she by the way... bit like yer missus, just the other way around.

markabilly
8th October 2011, 20:57
he's a she by the way... bit like yer missus, just the other way around.

what Henners is a transexual???
or just a queen?

donKey jote
8th October 2011, 21:14
Thought you meant Mia.
I need to learn to read. :dozey:

markabilly
8th October 2011, 21:36
well, henners is british, and you know how they are...............sort of hard to figure out

Knock-on
8th October 2011, 21:56
well, henners is british, and you know how they are...............sort of hard to figure out

I think you mean 'Intelligent'.

Must be an alien concept ;)

markabilly
8th October 2011, 22:05
yes, intelligent transexuals are a bit alien

jens
9th October 2011, 09:32
They fit together perfectly and extending their co-operation seems like the only logical solution.

In 2010 I was thinking that 2009 was Button's one and only shot at the WDC, but now I'm thinking that he may easily have a chance of winning another title in the coming years if McLaren can produce a top car over a full season. So let's see. :) In 2010 he was mathematically in it for quite long, but frankly never seemed like a genuine contender. But in the second half of 2011 Button has been a major player in individual races also. So this is a good platform to build on.

steveaki13
9th October 2011, 09:36
They fit together perfectly and extending their co-operation seems like the only logical solution.

In 2010 I was thinking that 2009 was Button's one and only shot at the WDC, but now I'm thinking that he may easily have a chance of winning another title in the coming years if McLaren can produce a top car over a full season. So let's see. :) In 2010 he was mathematically in it for quite long, but frankly never seemed like a genuine contender. But in the second half of 2011 Button has been a major player in individual races also. So this is a good platform to build on.

Yep

You speak honestly and sensibly which is sometimes a rare thing here.

Dave B
9th October 2011, 10:01
I've just been watching Button interviewed on the BBC Forum and - even taking into account the confidence that comes with winning a race an hour ago - he is coming over as an exceptionally mature and settled driver, one who recognises both the mistakes and successes of the past but who also seems aware that his best days could still be ahead of him.

Hawkmoon
9th October 2011, 10:21
I saw an interesting comment from Whitmarsh that Button's deal would allow McLaren to build the team around him. When Button joined last year everyone said that he was in for a tough time as he was joining Hamilton's team. Best part of two season's later nobody seem's to talk that way anymore. Button seems to have gained an equal footing in the team very quickly and if he continues to perform and Hamilton continues to run into all and sundry as he's done this year then the dynamic in the team could shift firmly in Button's favour. 2012 could be very interesting if Button continues to beat Hamilton and Red Bull or Ferrari come knocking on Hamilton's door.

Dave B
9th October 2011, 14:35
The team is built around both drivers and both get equal support which is clear to the outside observer IMO.

Was it on Saturday when Jake asked Martin Whitmarsh, "so what would you do if Vettel's out of the race, Lewis is leading and Jenson is in second place?"

His answer: "let them race".

:up:

Mark
9th October 2011, 18:56
Team orders would have been pointless with the championship already lost.

As for JB being champ again. First McLaren has to beat Red Bull and Ferrari. Then Button has to beat Hamilton, it's a tall order. Now if Hamilton were to leave...

djparky
9th October 2011, 19:57
good move for both parties- JB is driving magnificently in 2011, and may yet have another title in him in the next few years as long as Mclaren come up with a car that matches RBR.

How long LH will remain is another matter- he's quick and exciting to watch, but his heads just not in the game at the moment.

steveaki13
11th October 2011, 17:05
Team orders would have been pointless with the championship already lost.

As for JB being champ again. First McLaren has to beat Red Bull and Ferrari. Then Button has to beat Hamilton, it's a tall order. Now if Hamilton were to leave...

Hear what your saying but if Mclaren build a car thats a pack leader and Lewis continues to struggle for his form then Jenson could definatley win another championship.

I like most thought Lewis would blow Jenson away in racing but I think Jensons mentle toughness and speed has suprised Lewis and i see no reason why Lewis will be able to dominate Jenson season long next season or the season after that.

Knock-on
12th October 2011, 05:58
An Oasis of sense in the otherwise desert Landscape of the F1 forum ;)