PDA

View Full Version : Whither now Dollar General???

garyshell
5th October 2011, 04:52
Saw Sarah say that Dollar General has told them they will not be back with SF Racing next year and then today Turner Motorsports announces that Dollar General has told them they will not be back in the Nationwide Series next year.

Sarah also mentioned that Dollar General said something about big plans for next year. Sounds like they are going to the Sprint Cup.

After the Kentucky win, it might be time to rally the troops to lobby Dollar General to change their minds and stay with Sarah next year. Come on DG, what better spokesperson could you ask for than Sarah?

Gary

Lee Roy
5th October 2011, 13:05
Dollar General leaves Turner Motorsports; headed to JGR? Turner Motorsports announced Tuesday that Reed Sorenson, who is currently third in the Nationwide Series standings, is out as driver of the #32 Dollar General Chevy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The announcement comes on the same day that Turner Motorsports acknowledged that Dollar General was leaving at the end of the year. Dollar General is expected to be a limited sponsor on one of Joe Gibbs Racing's Sprint Cup cars and as a primary sponsor in the Nationwide Series. Calls to J.D. Gibbs were not returned.

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page (http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm)

monadvspec
12th October 2011, 22:29
I read that Dollar General was going to Sprint Cup too. Sad for Sarah. She really did a good job for them.

I thought the aftermath of the race in Kentucky was great. Seeing Ed Carpenter and his wife and kids so happy and then when Sarah appeared his first question was "where is Zoe (Sarah

little baby). As a marketing person this was worth so much. Look at the possibilities on how a company could use just that one segment. Dollar General could have a field day. Wasn' Dario

sponsored by Huggies?

Too bad the race was almost a non event where viewers are concerned. I hope more will show up for the final race and help get SF Racing a new sponsor.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th October 2011, 23:26
SFR should approach Menards, I feel they would be a good fit, and reunite with Carpenter.

nigelred5
13th October 2011, 11:48
I read that Dollar General was going to Sprint Cup too. Sad for Sarah. She really did a good job for them.

I thought the aftermath of the race in Kentucky was great. Seeing Ed Carpenter and his wife and kids so happy and then when Sarah appeared his first question was "where is Zoe (Sarah

little baby). As a marketing person this was worth so much. Look at the possibilities on how a company could use just that one segment. Dollar General could have a field day. Wasn' Dario

sponsored by Huggies?

Too bad the race was almost a non event where viewers are concerned. I hope more will show up for the final race and help get SF Racing a new sponsor.

.....and there you have it. Being a part time primary on a Gibbs car is far more exposure than an entire season in Indycars, not to mention all of the marketing opportunities like hotwheels and 1:24 diecasts, little kids drivers suit halloween costumes. I hate to say it, but Dollar General fits the primary NASCAR demographic a wee bit better, and there's noting to keep DG from making associate deals like Target does with suppliers.

nigelred5
13th October 2011, 11:50
SFR should approach Menards, I feel they would be a good fit, and reunite with Carpenter.

I'm sure all of their racing money is going to sponsor his son in NASCAR. I don't see that changing.

EagleEye
13th October 2011, 14:09
Saw Sarah say that Dollar General has told them they will not be back with SF Racing next year and then today Turner Motorsports announces that Dollar General has told them they will not be back in the Nationwide Series next year.

Sarah also mentioned that Dollar General said something about big plans for next year. Sounds like they are going to the Sprint Cup.

After the Kentucky win, it might be time to rally the troops to lobby Dollar General to change their minds and stay with Sarah next year. Come on DG, what better spokesperson could you ask for than Sarah?

Gary

.5 ratings, versus 3.6 ratings.

Pretty simple math, even for a liberal.

anthonyvop
13th October 2011, 15:51
.5 ratings, versus 3.6 ratings.

Pretty simple math, even for a liberal.

And it is more than that.

Different Demo
More events
Better press coverage
Better activation

Lee Roy
13th October 2011, 18:23
I hate to say it, but Dollar General fits the primary NASCAR demographic a wee bit better, . . . . .

What demographic is that? Actual people?

nigelred5
13th October 2011, 18:48
Been in a DG store lately? They aren't carrying Izod this season....

Lee Roy
13th October 2011, 20:18
Been in a DG store lately? They aren't carrying Izod this season....

Can't say I've ever been in one. Do you think Dollar General's decision is because the Indy Car fans are such superior human beings . . . . . er . . . . "demographic", or is it that there's just so few of them? Apparently Dollar General saw something there they liked at one time.

Lousada
13th October 2011, 21:52
Can't say I've ever been in one. Do you think Dollar General's decision is because the Indy Car fans are such superior human beings . . . . . er . . . . "demographic", or is it that there's just so few of them? Apparently Dollar General saw something there they liked at one time.

Well, they sponsor an oval-only team yet Indycar keeps dropping midwest-ovals. And the new Indycar races are added in areas were DG has no presence, Nevada, California, China...