PDA

View Full Version : Felipe, destroy Hamilton's race

N4D13
3rd October 2011, 14:13
Apparently, the Singapore video review in Formula1.com includes an actual quote from Rob Smedley telling Massa "Hold Hamilton as much as we can. Destroy his race as much as we can. Come on, boy...".

I believe this is unimportant - obviously Ferrari would like Massa to hold Hamilton up as much as he could, as both Ferrari drivers would have benefitted from that. However, the Autosport headline is "Radio broadcast revelation stokes Massa and Hamilton collision controversy (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95025)". I think that this is unrelated - the collision was clearly Hamilton's fault, and Massa had all the right to be upset after the race, although shoving Lewis was clearly out of line. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone thinks differently. ;)

SGWilko
3rd October 2011, 14:24
Only Massa, when asked to destroy someone elses race, could manage to ruin his own as a result of driving slow through the apexes and getting a puncture as a result..... :p

N4D13
3rd October 2011, 16:44
Joe Saward has an interesting article about this quote, albeit its name isn't quite imaginative: What a load of rubbish (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/what-a-load-of-rubbish/)

It also contains his opinion on Hamilton's driving, which I find rather interesting.

truefan72
3rd October 2011, 18:32
Apparently, the Singapore video review in Formula1.com includes an actual quote from Rob Smedley telling Massa "Hold Hamilton as much as we can. Destroy his race as much as we can. Come on, boy...".

I believe this is unimportant - obviously Ferrari would like Massa to hold Hamilton up as much as he could, as both Ferrari drivers would have benefitted from that. However, the Autosport headline is "Radio broadcast revelation stokes Massa and Hamilton collision controversy (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95025)". I think that this is unrelated - the collision was clearly Hamilton's fault, and Massa had all the right to be upset after the race, although shoving Lewis was clearly out of line. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone thinks differently. ;)

So that's how you see it?
lemme guess if the roles where reversed you would have a completely different take. Probably asking for the engineer to be sanctioned and hamilton to be banned

There is a good reason they put that radio broadcast on the video. It sheds new light on the incident.
But for those with a closed mind...alas, even with damning new evidence, it changes nothing.
Hamilton hatred is too hard to let go off.

truefan72
3rd October 2011, 18:33
Only Massa, when asked to destroy someone elses race, could manage to ruin his own as a result of driving slow through the apexes and getting a puncture as a result..... :p

yup

There is a radio engineer telling his driver to purposely hold another driver up, that driver doing so, then purposly pitting him when Hamilton pits then being extremely slow on the outlap and when Hamilto tries to pass, Felipe makes for darn sure that he slams the door closed. Then acts with bewilderment afterwards at the incident. Felipe tried to destroy Hamilton;s race and nearly succeeded. Even though Hamilton came in for repairs and then again for his drive trhu. Massa was at that point well ahead of him, but Hamilton managed to catch up and pass him. So Massa destroyed his own race.

truefan72
3rd October 2011, 18:51
One final thing

What is the point of destroying Hamilton's race from Ferrari and massa's perspective?

Is he in a fight for the WDC against Alonso and Massa is there too help?
The only reason is vindictiveness or a clear acknowledgment that Hamilton and mclaren are miles faster, and if you can't beat them, destroy them

ioan
3rd October 2011, 18:58
One final thing

What is the point of destroying Hamilton's race from Ferrari and massa's perspective?

Is he in a fight for the WDC against Alonso and Massa is there too help?

I think you got that right. Not a difficult guess.

truefan72
4th October 2011, 03:58
amazing the lack of interest or responses to this story from this board.

It would have been 10 pages long by now if the story were reversed, with folks on hear screaming and ranting about Hamilton. Many stating it isn't about him just the facts
I remember when he had his situation in Australia 09 with the team radio and we got plenty of pages about that and some calling for race bans etc.

The silence here is telling and simply justifies why I post less on this board. Its quite obvious how many are less interested in facts and fairness and more about going on a witch hunt.

oh well

kfzmeister
4th October 2011, 03:59
So that's how you see it?
That's how just about everyone sees it.

lemme guess if the roles where reversed you would have a completely different take. Probably asking for the engineer to be sanctioned and hamilton to be banned
His driving is doing all the talking for him so far! :rolleyes:

There is a good reason they put that radio broadcast on the video. It sheds new light on the incident.
Really? I see nothing different about his hasty attempt to get by.

But for those with a closed mind...alas, even with damning new evidence, it changes nothing.

Damning new evidence? Lmao.

Big Ben
4th October 2011, 07:05

It would have been 10 pages long by now if the story were reversed, with folks on hear screaming and ranting about Hamilton. Many stating it isn't about him just the facts
I remember when he had his situation in Australia 09 with the team radio and we got plenty of pages about that and some calling for race bans etc.

The silence here is telling and simply justifies why I post less on this board. Its quite obvious how many are less interested in facts and fairness and more about going on a witch hunt.

oh well

:laugh: there aren't that many truefanboys here as you would think, right? :laugh:

DexDexter
4th October 2011, 07:42
This is not a big deal, Smedley is constantly on the radio telling this and that to Massa who obviously needs coaching. I don't think that message should be taken literally.

CNR
4th October 2011, 07:43
the link i seen had the the video has been edited and the radio transmission was from later on

Malbec
4th October 2011, 10:32

oh well

Actually I don't think there would be a reaction if the roles were reversed.

Talking about destroying another driver's race is perfectly normal. Schumi did exactly the same to Lewis back at Monza though there wasn't a collision.

What Smedley said can only be controversial if you interprete it to mean 'hit Lewis' and anyone with the faintest idea of F1 would know that simply wasn't the case.

driveace
4th October 2011, 10:41
If this is true ,then action needs to be taken against Ferrari,and massa,who is a pawn.
Its all about racing in a fair and safe manner,not blocking just one particular driver as Shumi also did,these guys are frightened of him !

Knock-on
4th October 2011, 11:12
Joe Saward has an interesting article about this quote, albeit its name isn't quite imaginative: What a load of rubbish (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/what-a-load-of-rubbish/)

It also contains his opinion on Hamilton's driving, which I find rather interesting.

Well written piece.

I think this says more about Massa, Smedley and the rather strange relationship they have. Most drivers would expect a message about holding a driver behind but it sounds rather churlish for an engineer to be instructing a driver to "destroy" another drivers race.

Still, unless there is telemetry otherwise, then this just a childish statement and nothing more.

I am evil Homer
4th October 2011, 11:12
Action needs to be taken against Massa alright...he needs to learn how to race without constantly being told to by his engineer, baby. I like Felipe I think he's a talented, gracious guy who enjoys what he does. But his pace seems to be lacking...whether that's since his comeback or not I don't know but there's something not right with him this season.

wedge
4th October 2011, 11:48

oh well

Because there's nothing malicious about it.

That sort of language is used all the time in the everyday world. It may not be literally but you get the gist.

Well written piece.

I think this says more about Massa, Smedley and the rather strange relationship they have. Most drivers would expect a message about holding a driver behind but it sounds rather churlish for an engineer to be instructing a driver to "destroy" another drivers race.

What's wrong with a race engineer 'pumping up' his driver?

I am evil Homer
4th October 2011, 12:33
A race driver should be pumped up to perform - he shouldn't need reminding that his pace isn't good enough. He should know that by his position relative to the others cars and his team mate.

wedge
4th October 2011, 13:25
A race driver should be pumped up to perform - he shouldn't need reminding that his pace isn't good enough. He should know that by his position relative to the others cars and his team mate.

True but what's wrong with the race engineer getting on the act.

Fisi used to get an earful at Renault telling him to overtake cars left, right and centre.

SGWilko
4th October 2011, 13:26
True but what's wrong with the race engineer getting on the act.

Fisi used to get an earful at Renault telling him to overtake cars left, right and centre.

Didn't do him any good either!

kfzmeister
4th October 2011, 14:19
Didn't do him any good either!

I bet he sh!t his pants when they told him Kimi was coming in Suzuka in '05!!

Knock-on
4th October 2011, 14:19
Lets face it. Massa's in one of the fastest cars and is still as slow as siht. The only thing he's good for is to ruin other peoples race so it will help Fred :D

kfzmeister
4th October 2011, 14:20
If this is true ,then action needs to be taken against Ferrari,and massa,who is a pawn.
Its all about racing in a fair and safe manner,not blocking just one particular driver as Shumi also did,these guys are frightened of Hamilton !

There, fixed it for ya.

kfzmeister
4th October 2011, 14:21
Lets face it. Massa's in one of the fastest cars and is still as slow as siht. The only thing he's good for is to ruin other peoples race so it will help Fred :D

Sounds like he's doing his job to me!

Knock-on
4th October 2011, 14:34
Sounds like he's doing his job to me!

:laugh: I suppose so :D

truefan72
4th October 2011, 16:54
the link i seen had the the video has been edited and the radio transmission was from later on

Ferrari came out today and said it was from lap 11

DexDexter
4th October 2011, 17:20

That's a bit of an overstatement. Massa has been pretty close to Alonso many times this season and sometimes even faster but it just doesn't seem work out for him. IMO being number two driver has just made him lose his confidence. It doesn't take much to see it on the race track.

Bagwan
4th October 2011, 17:34
I think colourful language has it's place in F1 .

In fact , I think he could have gotten a lot more creative with it .

He could have said "dismember" , or "immasculate" his race , instead of the wimpy "destroy" .
Or , how about "decapitate" , or "eviscerate" it ?

They could get all "James Bondy" , and give him a code like "H Mac astern , go to setting Red Mist 5" .

Knock-on
4th October 2011, 18:07
That's a bit of an overstatement. Massa has been pretty close to Alonso many times this season and sometimes even faster but it just doesn't seem work out for him. IMO being number two driver has just made him lose his confidence. It doesn't take much to see it on the race track.

184 to 84 is a bit of an overstatement.

If he wasn't happy being a lap dog, he should have been faster or gone to a team more in line with his ability.

BDunnell
4th October 2011, 18:11
I think colourful language has it's place in F1 .

In fact , I think he could have gotten a lot more creative with it .

He could have said "dismember" , or "immasculate" his race , instead of the wimpy "destroy" .
Or , how about "decapitate" , or "eviscerate" it ?

They could get all "James Bondy" , and give him a code like "H Mac astern , go to setting Red Mist 5" .

I think humorous comments are about all this non-story deserves, quite honestly!

woody2goody
4th October 2011, 18:29
It's still Lewis' fault anyway, he should know where his front wing is.

Knock-on
4th October 2011, 19:06

184 to 84 is a bit of an overstatement.

If he wasn't happy being a lap dog, he should have been faster or gone to a team more in line with his ability.

kfzmeister
5th October 2011, 04:02
Ferrari came out today and said it was from lap 11

Read today that it was lap 5, the lap before the incident.

CNR
5th October 2011, 07:25
an oddball who would take lewis at a cut rate if was on the market
this coming from the one that stated that lewis was the one

ArrowsFA1
5th October 2011, 08:12
"I'm sure that Lewis and I will find a way to clear this up and put a lid on this story, as is only correct between two drivers. What happens on the track should remain on the track."

Massa moves on from Hamilton clash - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95046)

:up:

Knock-on
5th October 2011, 09:26
Massa moves on from Hamilton clash - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95046)

:up:

He's been told to stop behaving like a spoilt brat more like ;)

Still, I hope he listens to himself and get's on with it instead of moaning. It was a racing incident, it was dealt with during the race and should be left there.

555-04Q2
7th October 2011, 13:36
He's been told to stop behaving like a spoilt brat more like ;)

Still, I hope he listens to himself and get's on with it instead of moaning. It was a racing incident, it was dealt with during the race and should be left there.

I miss the good old days of the Senna's punching Irvine's, Shoes trying to kill Coulthard's in their garages etc etc. The "Massa assaults Hammy Boy" idea was ludricous :s hock:

Bring on the good old days when men raced the cars and the boys watched from the grandstands!

Knock-on
7th October 2011, 13:48
I agree. I would have had more respect if he had of walloped him one rather than a little whine :laugh:

555-04Q2
7th October 2011, 13:53
True :up: Remember the days when drivers didn't whine, they did something about it? Remember the days when F1 drivers drove through tsunami's unlike the safety car intervetions now whenever we get 5mm of rainfall on the track? What happened to all the MEN in this world???

Knock-on
7th October 2011, 15:20
What, the ones who go for it: The ones that try and race the wheels off the car: The ones that aren't content to just pick up points but will push the car and himself past the limits in a s*it or bust attempt for a win?

They are called Lewis and slagged off on this forum. :laugh:

jas123f1
7th October 2011, 18:15
Honestly, Felipe should stop complaining - it's enough - and more than enough...

DexDexter
7th October 2011, 22:19
True :up: Remember the days when drivers didn't whine, they did something about it? Remember the days when F1 drivers drove through tsunami's unlike the safety car intervetions now whenever we get 5mm of rainfall on the track? What happened to all the MEN in this world???

You're a bit contradictory since the last MAN who didn't whine and let the driving do the talking was none other than Kimi who, it's safe to say, isn't a favorite of yours. ;)

Mia 01
8th October 2011, 03:08
OK Henner, he have to back off a bit, donīt you agree. but ofcourse yu are one of those idiotic fans who cant change.

We will see.

Ranger
8th October 2011, 05:06

Are you kidding?? The drivers whinge as much as they did then as they do now!

The only thing that changed is the race directors.

Charlie Whiting used to be decent at making such calls, now he is way too soft.

ioan
8th October 2011, 06:50
Are you kidding?? The drivers whinge as much as they did then as they do now!

The only thing that changed is the race directors.

Charlie Whiting used to be decent at making such calls, now he is way too soft.

Funny how the race director is the same but the drivers are others, still you blame it on the race director having changed.
Oh the irony!

Dave B
8th October 2011, 07:44
I would love the FIA to re-investigate the collision to see whether Massa was slower than usual out of that corner. However I don't believe that "destroy" equates to "collide with", I believe it was simply common slang being blown out of all proportion - much like the so-called "assault".

jens
8th October 2011, 08:18
Remember the days when drivers didn't whine, they did something about it?

When was that? I assume drivers have been "whining" as long as there has been competition. A losing competitor can easily be unhappy, right? But not always has there been media, who would present every single said word to the wider audience.

Dave B
8th October 2011, 08:48
When was that? I assume drivers have been "whining" as long as there has been competition. A losing competitor can easily be unhappy, right? But not always has there been media, who would present every single said word to the wider audience.

True, especially the part I've bolded. In the "good old days" so frequently referenced, we'd read a handful of driver quotes in Monday's papers or, for the dedicated fan, in Autosport the following Thursday. We never had the access to the drivers that we do now with the associated forensic examination of every interview, quote, press conference, tweet, or shrug of the shoulders.

Sun
19th March 2012, 13:38
Hello all. Can you help me in finding the exact video of this commentary. Atleast help me in finding the video, Smedley and Massa ao as to destroy Lewis race. The lap number, anything at all. Please

EuroTroll
19th March 2012, 13:57
Hello all. Can you help me in finding the exact video of this commentary. Atleast help me in finding the video, Smedley and Massa ao as to destroy Lewis race. The lap number, anything at all. Please

It seems it's not on Youtube, which is surprising. :s Sorry I can't help, but I did find this: :D

lrSeSdHcnu4

schmenke
19th March 2012, 15:12
Hmm... an engineer communicating to his driver about race strategy.
Do we really need a thread for this? :s

F1boat
19th March 2012, 16:35
It seems it's not on Youtube, which is surprising. :s Sorry I can't help, but I did find this: :D

lrSeSdHcnu4

this is true and sad :(

Knock-on
19th March 2012, 19:04
this is true and sad :(

Cool :laugh:

Sun
24th March 2012, 10:00

lrSeSdHcnu4

It was actually in youtube but they removed it later because of Formula1 Management. Alas!!