PDA

View Full Version : Al Unser Jr. arrested for DWI

numanoid
29th September 2011, 17:43
Police arrrest Al Unser Jr. for DWI | Albuquerque N.M. | KRQE News 13 (http://www.kasa.com/dpps/news/crime/police-arrrest-al-unser-jr-for-dwi_3953618)

:vader:

Nikki Katz
29th September 2011, 18:10
Again??? Oh dear :(

numanoid
29th September 2011, 18:18
Race Out of Control has a new meaning now....

Chris R
29th September 2011, 18:23
wow, you would think the guy would learn - even if he can't beat his drinking at least don't be stupid about it..... I would assume this is about the end of his career at Indycar - it doesn't look good for the series to keep bringing him back when he messes up so bad and so consistently.....

DBell
29th September 2011, 18:46
wow, you would think the guy would learn - even if he can't beat his drinking at least don't be stupid about it..... I would assume this is about the end of his career at Indycar - it doesn't look good for the series to keep bringing him back when he messes up so bad and so consistently.....

I can't believe they would bring him back again, but then again, they always have before. DUI's, domestic abuse, hit and run while intoxicated and now this latest demonstration of his unbelievable stupidity. Drag racing a Suburban over 100 mph on public roads while drunk, that just is unbelievable. And they pulled him over at 9300 Coors Boulevard, you can't make this stuff up.

He's well earned his moniker of Little Alchy. Just look at that picture of him (his mug shot?) and compare what he looks like to Michael Andretti, who is about the same age. A good example of what hard living will do to you. He'll be dead before he's 60.

Chris R
29th September 2011, 20:18
Unrelated to the DWI - but whatever happened to "mini-Al"? I assume he gave on on his racing career? Anybody know what he does now??

anthonyvop
29th September 2011, 20:41
I would assume this is about the end of his career at Indycar - it doesn't look good for the series to keep bringing him back when he messes up so bad and so consistently.....

Why should it? They allow Tony George on the Grid and he caused 100 times more damage to the sport than Al jr. ever did.

But Serious. I have been at events where I have observed Al jr. drinking and he isn't the typical problem drinker that has to drink a lot to get hammered. You can notice the effects on him by the time he starts his 3rd drink,

00steven
29th September 2011, 21:16
It's really quite sad.

gm99
29th September 2011, 21:59
Not enough Little Al races on a public highway drunk at 3 a.m., he even lost the bloody race :p

According to the incident report, Unser told the deputies he was racing the other car at the time and said to deputies quote "you caught the slower driver."

I wonder if his Dad was in the other car, wouldn't have been the first time he beat his son in a race...

nigelred5
29th September 2011, 22:30
Sad, I had hoped he had turned himself around, but really, is it any surprize?

Alcoholism is a horrible disease but there is a high degree of stupidity involved here.

DBell
30th September 2011, 00:37
I did a little digging for an article I remembered Robin Miller writing when Jr's substance abuse problems first became public knowledge.

rpm.espn.com: Arrest not first incident (http://a.espncdn.com/rpm/irl/2002/0709/1403741.html)

When you see in the news reports that he had a 2007 conviction in Vegas for DWI, don't forget the part of that story that isn't being said. He was also charged with hit and run as part of the slew of charges. He hit another car being driven by a woman and sped off. The police caught up to him and arrested him. That's how he got the DWI. The hit and run charge was dropped as part of the plea deal the lawyers came up with.

I believe until Al has to face real consequences for his acts and decisions, he will never change. He has had people cover for him and lawyers to get him off lighter than the average person would face. He has been given multiple chances by IndyCar. He's wasted those chances.

Al Unser Jr. suspended indefinitely from IndyCar - Racer.com (http://www.racer.com/al-unser-jr-suspended-indefinitely-from-indycar/article/213178/)

If Al is guilty of what's been reported and is convicted, then given his past and the reckless display that just happened, he needs to spend some time in jail. And that should be it for him working in IndyCar. A lifetime ban would be warranted.

Chris R
30th September 2011, 01:00
I did a little digging for an article I remembered Robin Miller writing when Jr's substance abuse problems first became public knowledge.

rpm.espn.com: Arrest not first incident (http://a.espncdn.com/rpm/irl/2002/0709/1403741.html)

When you see in the news reports that he had a 2007 conviction in Vegas for DWI, don't forget the part of that story that isn't being said. He was also charged with hit and run as part of the slew of charges. He hit another car being driven by a woman and sped off. The police caught up to him and arrested him. That's how he got the DWI. The hit and run charge was dropped as part of the plea deal the lawyers came up with.

I believe until Al has to face real consequences for his acts and decisions, he will never change. He has had people cover for him and lawyers to get him off lighter than the average person would face. He has been given multiple chances by IndyCar. He's wasted those chances.

Al Unser Jr. suspended indefinitely from IndyCar - Racer.com (http://www.racer.com/al-unser-jr-suspended-indefinitely-from-indycar/article/213178/)

If Al is guilty of what's been reported and is convicted, then given his past and the reckless display that just happened, he needs to spend some time in jail. And that should be it for him working in IndyCar. A lifetime ban would be warranted.

The guy has lost his family and the last half of his driving career and perhaps a small fortune - if those aren't consequences I can't see how jail etc. will change anything.... (not that he shouldn't sit there for a while.....)

DBell
30th September 2011, 01:16
The guy has lost his family and the last half of his driving career and perhaps a small fortune - if those aren't consequences I can't see how jail etc. will change anything.... (not that he shouldn't sit there for a while.....)

I didn't say jail will change him, but it may make him change. In jail he will lose everything, his rights, freedom, and everything else. It's probably the only chance he has at this point.

Chris R
30th September 2011, 01:18
true - here's hoping it works for him.....

DBell
30th September 2011, 01:54
true - here's hoping it works for him.....

If Robert Downey Jr can get it together, then there is always hope.

FormerFF
30th September 2011, 01:58
Unrelated to the DWI - but whatever happened to "mini-Al"? I assume he gave on on his racing career? Anybody know what he does now??

It doesn't look like he's done anything since 2008. He'll be 30 next year, so things don't look promising.

EagleEye
30th September 2011, 03:58
Alcoholism is a horrible disease but there is a high degree of stupidity involved here.

Cancer is a disease, Alcoholism is a wekaness.

SarahFan
30th September 2011, 06:57
Cancer is a disease, Alcoholism is a wekaness.

You couldn't be more wrong ...

chuck34
30th September 2011, 13:19
Wow. This guy used to be my hero. I thought he cleaned himself up a few years ago, guess not. I think a lifetime ban is in order. So sad. :-(

EagleEye
1st October 2011, 16:45
You couldn't be more wrong ...

You must have bought into the liberal falsehood.

Animals throughout the animal kingdom contract various diseases. Not one has ever contracted "acloholism".

Man has free will and can make choices. Destructive behavior is NOT a disease.

garyshell
1st October 2011, 18:03
You must have bought into the liberal falsehood.

Animals throughout the animal kingdom contract various diseases. Not one has ever contracted "acloholism".

Man has free will and can make choices. Destructive behavior is NOT a disease.

Thank you Doctor Eagle Eye, where did you get your MD? The line about the animals is one of the most laughable pieces of "logic" I have seen in a while. Please tell us good doctor, how many animals you know of that have contracted oh let's say polio? I guess by YOUR definition all the folks who got that horrific disease were just victims of their own free will. Stick with your REAL knowledge of racing and keep your obviously politically charged (albeit ill-informed) medical observations to yourself.

The decision to pick up the first container of alcohol is indeed a free will effort, the ongoing long term effects brought about by genetic and other factors have nothing to do with will.

Gary

Chris R
1st October 2011, 18:33
If I may weigh in on the subject - I think it is very fair to say that Alcoholism has aspects that are both disease and choice and both aspects need to be acknowledged. The disease in and of itself does not absolve the person from responsibility for making a choice not to deal with their disease although it should earn them a little leeway to "get it under control" and some understanding as to the demons they face so as to help them best deal with it....

SarahFan
1st October 2011, 19:00
Starter..... Shut this one down.