PDA

View Full Version : Webber at Red Bull 2012

Bolton Midnight
28th September 2011, 21:09
Red Bull have missed a trick, drop MW and sign Di Resta

MW has the best car by a comfortable margin yet has not won a single race and is looking likely to be beaten by Alonso and Button despite them not having the car advantage that MW has.

Big Ben
28th September 2011, 22:09
Maybe you missed something... I believe RBR are just fine with MW's performance, if you catch my drift ;) :laugh:

Bolton Midnight
28th September 2011, 22:18
But what when Vettel goes to Mercedes, MW isn't team leader material and by that time Di Resta will have improved and be able to lead the team.

tfp
28th September 2011, 23:40
Has webbers performance really gone from being a race winner and title contender to a runner up man in the space of a season??

Azumanga Davo
29th September 2011, 01:33
Red Bull have missed a trick, drop MW.

Anyone else will do, really.

Bolton Midnight
29th September 2011, 02:33
Anyone else will do, really.

Di Resta would do better in that car, a whole heap would do better - Rosberg, Button, Alonso, Hamilton in a Red Bull all would have won a race this season.

Bolton Midnight
29th September 2011, 03:05
Has webbers performance really gone from being a race winner and title contender to a runner up man in the space of a season??

Title contender in the mathematical sense yes but a real contender, don't think MW has ever been one of those. If he was it was purely down to a substantial car advantage.

CNR
29th September 2011, 09:02
lets face it Saint D88888 you have all ways had the hot's for mark webber

Big Ben
29th September 2011, 09:09
Hmmm, sainty? I don't know... sainty must have had 1014 replies by his 3rd day around here.

DexDexter
29th September 2011, 09:31
But what when Vettel goes to Mercedes, MW isn't team leader material and by that time Di Resta will have improved and be able to lead the team.

Vettel is not going anywhere for a while. And if he is, why not hire Hamilton or Button or Alonso in his place? They'd all be interested and would win the WDC in a Newey car for sure.

Knock-on
29th September 2011, 09:36
Someone needs to snap Paul up. I can't see him languishing in a crap car for another season.

CNR
29th September 2011, 09:44
F1 : Horner, Ecclestone not writing off Webber (http://f1.madeinmotorsport.com/en/headlines/news-f1-horner--ecclestone-not-writing-off-webber-27206.html)

."Also not writing off 35-year-old Webber is Bernie Ecclestone, the sport's chief executive."That Sebastian is better than Mark we know by now. But who is there who is better than Mark?" wondered the Briton."I think it is not right to belittle Mark. In context, driving with Sebastian, he hasn't got the easiest of jobs, because in my view Sebastian is the best driver on the grid right now."

jens
29th September 2011, 13:24
Di Resta in a top team is an interesting thought, but a problem nowadays seems to be that all young drivers are so strictly contracted to their team, who has brought them up. Like Hamilton has grown up with McLaren and Vettel with Red Bull. Red Bull has its own juniors and are first and foremost evaluating them, di Resta is Mercedes-bound. Although some cases can be remembered from the past too, for example Fisichella was contracted to Briatore/Benetton for many years and was unable to switch teams. But decades ago it was more a case of a young talented drivers joining F1 in a random midfield or backmarker team and then top teams would start fighting for his signature.

Bolton Midnight
29th September 2011, 15:05
F1 : Horner, Ecclestone not writing off Webber (http://f1.madeinmotorsport.com/en/headlines/news-f1-horner--ecclestone-not-writing-off-webber-27206.html)

The top half of the grid are better than Webber

Alonso, Button, Hamilton, Rosberg, Kubica, all are a lot better than MW

and to think a bit back a few clueless types were saying Webber was better than Button, not a hope in hell.

DexDexter
29th September 2011, 18:20
Someone needs to snap Paul up. I can't see him languishing in a crap car for another season.

It's not a crap car at all, on the contrary and anyway, it his first season so you can hardly call that "languishing". Di Resta's been very impressive but looking at it realistically, there is not a lot between him and Sutil who is not a top driver. It's his first year so that's understandable since he doesn't know all the circuits etc.

driveace
29th September 2011, 21:58
Just a quick note,at a auction for charity,I bought a racing suit as worn by Paul Di Resta earlier this year.The bad news is ,it wont fit me.BUT I believe Paul is going places.

CNR
29th September 2011, 22:21
you know what Bolton you could see Di Resta replace button at mclaren next year

Paul di Resta: I am very close to Mercedes (http://blogs.bettor.com/Paul-di-Resta-I-am-very-close-to-Mercedes-Formula-1-Update-a66439)

however Resta’s manager Anthony Hamilton has predicted a bright future of his driver with a ‘top team’ of the sport.
Paul is a Mercedes protégé and Norbert has said some very complimentary things about him.

N. Jones
30th September 2011, 02:13
I disagree. Webber knows he will not find a better drive anywhere else and Red Bull know that he is the #2 man to Vettel.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 04:52
Can't see JB leaving as he's clearly No.1 at McLaren now, which would make LH leaving more likely.

LH at Red Bull with MW, MW will be lucky if he's not lapped at every race!

555-04Q2
30th September 2011, 11:09

Well The Shoe has gone from untouchable to average after 3 years out the sport. He is also significantly older than Rosberg. Vettel is also far younger than Webber is. Maybe its a sign that the younger drivers are better equiped to adapt to new rule changes and are physically and mentally coping better than the older guys? Who knows. All we know is Webber is nowhere compared to his team mate.

Ranger
30th September 2011, 12:00
Good drivers have bad seasons sometimes. They shouldn't be chucked under the bus because of one in isolation.

Or maybe you think Jenson should have been sacked after being beaten by Rubens in 2008. :\

Knock-on
30th September 2011, 12:42
Paul will most likely replace Schumy at Mercedes IMHO. That would be the logical step

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 13:06
Good drivers have bad seasons sometimes. They shouldn't be chucked under the bus because of one in isolation.

Or maybe you think Jenson should have been sacked after being beaten by Rubens in 2008. :\

But it isn't one race or one season, SV has trounced him and is pulling further and further away.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 16:17
But what when Vettel goes to Mercedes, MW isn't team leader material and by that time Di Resta will have improved and be able to lead the team.This team leader talk is such nonsense, drivers do not lead teams, they drive cars. Ferrari hailed Alonso as the saviour and a great team leader, what has he done for them? Nothing.

Di Resta would do better in that car, a whole heap would do better - Rosberg, Button, Alonso, Hamilton in a Red Bull all would have won a race this season.
Pretty much every idiot could have won in that RB car this season, the car is at least 0,5 seconds per lap faster than any other car and often even more. Of course, Red Bull has made sure that Webber will not threaten their Precious in any way.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 17:11
This team leader talk is such nonsense, drivers do not lead teams, they drive cars. Ferrari hailed Alonso as the saviour and a great team leader, what has he done for them? Nothing.

Pretty much every idiot could have won in that RB car this season, the car is at least 0,5 seconds per lap faster than any other car and often even more. Of course, Red Bull has made sure that Webber will not threaten their Precious in any way.

F1 teams have had team leaders since Fangio's day. To be deemed No.1 is very important within the team to get preferential treatment re pit strategy / new bits etc.

So MW is worse than an idiot then, yes? Oh yes its all a bit conspiracy, wow and you claim smokers have low IQs.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:32
F1 teams have had team leaders since Fangio's day. To be deemed No.1 is very important within the team to get preferential treatment re pit strategy / new bits etc.

So MW is worse than an idiot then, yes? Oh yes its all a bit conspiracy, wow and you claim smokers have low IQs.

Have you been drinking today?

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 17:34
Have you been drinking today?

Yes, copious amounts of tea, have you Rambo?

CNR
1st October 2011, 01:04
i think we will see daniel ricciardo or mark webber in the redbull car in 2013

Red Bull MOBILE Australia (http://www.redbullmobile.com.au/)

tfp
1st October 2011, 01:36

+1 :up: SV's feat is impressive, but not out of the reach of any of the other top drivers, if they were given the right car.

TheFamousEccles
1st October 2011, 09:27
So Bolton, why the vitriol? Has Webber called ye Beer a puff or summat (sorry Viz comics)? It's all a bit school-yard purile, has he offended you in some way? The season isn't over yet, and he's had a fair few podiums (and a good number of crappy starts it must be said), so arent you a little half-cocked?

I had read this thread a few days ago and resisted adding any comment, but I just can't figure out what your issue is (well, I can have a bit of a guess, but I was hoping it wasnt just a case of talking loud and saying nothing).

pete c
1st October 2011, 09:29
Gee, Red Bull Racing are happy to have Mark Weber resign for another year,and they pay the money, so maybe they dont want the inter team drama of having 2 no 1 drivers
and look to the future with their other contracted drivers

Bolton Midnight
1st October 2011, 13:22
No beef, just don't think MW is all that good, second tier driver at best.

DexDexter
1st October 2011, 16:51
No beef, just don't think MW is all that good, second tier driver at best.

I don't know, I remember him being in contention for the WDC last year right at the end of the season, ahead of a guy called Sebastian Vettel. Mark's had a bad season and Vettel has had a better one than last year, that's really all there is to it.

Bolton Midnight
1st October 2011, 17:01
MW was never really in contention, mathematically yes but skill wise no.

Ranger
2nd October 2011, 02:57

Congratulations, I think I just lost brain cells reading that post.

I don't know, I remember him being in contention for the WDC last year right at the end of the season, ahead of a guy called Sebastian Vettel. Mark's had a bad season and Vettel has had a better one than last year, that's really all there is to it.

That's pretty much it.

truefan72
2nd October 2011, 03:13

...and that about sums you up :down:
logic, reason and the facts have no place in your world

Bolton Midnight
2nd October 2011, 05:00
So did you really think he was going to win the title last year yes/no?

I didn't.

jens
2nd October 2011, 08:16
So did you really think he was going to win the title last year yes/no?

I didn't.

Well, I think Webber was in a very good position for the championship at some points during the season, especially after Singapore and Japan. To be honest, I had my doubts whether he can keep the consistency and he binned it in Korea, but... he was a serious contender, you can't take it away from him. Put it this way: had the championship consisted of 16 races like it was a norm more than a decade ago, rather than 19, he would be a WDC. In the same way it can be asked whether you really believed Irvine was going to win in 1999 or Massa was going to win in 2008. And I also think some in disbelief asked whether Button (or even Barrichello for that matter) were really going to win the 2009 title. ;) In the championship there is no such thing as being in contention "skill-wise", only points-wise.

F1boat
2nd October 2011, 09:26
I think that Red Bull now have a very good team - very strong nu1 driver and a solid nu2 driver. I believe that such combo is more successful than two nu1 drivers, which can result in disaster like in McLaren circa 2007 or in very high tension - again McLaren in the late 80s. While teams like M Schumacher-Barrichello in the early 00s are close to perfect. JMO. I think that RBR are close to being perfect now.

Bolton Midnight
3rd October 2011, 23:46
Put it this way: had the championship consisted of 16 races like it was a norm more than a decade ago, rather than 19, he would be a WDC.

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

CNR
4th October 2011, 07:46
If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

you are wrong she would be a hermaphrodite

F16
4th October 2011, 07:59
I think at the moment drivers considered better than Webber are the four champs: Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button. In case Vettel leaves the team the rest three drivers are ideal to fill the empty seat, Hamilton is the strongest candidate considering Alonso and Button seem to stay any longer at their current seat.

Before being team mated with Vettel, Webber was a team mate killer, until the last race of last season he collected more points.This year he just missed the bus by miles, Vettel outperforms him for the whole season, but we never know how good he will be if the team supports him fully if Vettel leaves.
I'd rather put new comers like di Resta at the second seat, Webber's seat is ideal for him at the moment, but if the chance comes he drives along with Webber team might let them decide at the track ala Vettel-Webber last year, the chance is fifty-fifty.

Another probability, Red Bull have their own program like the way Vettel got promoted from STR. We might not rate current STR drivers are as strong as Vettel to fit Red Bull seat, but who knows?

Bolton Midnight
4th October 2011, 15:45
Don't think RBR are scuppering MW he's doing a pretty good job on his own.

Not that long ago jingoistic folk had MW > JB !!