PDA

View Full Version : OT: Make Rockingham disappear

JDPower
21st March 2007, 02:56
Just been pointed in the direction of this great Google Maps type site that gives an option of different map services. Heres the link to Rockingham as seen on Google maps, try then ticking the Microsoft VE Aerial on the left and watch the track vanish :D :

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.515468&lon=-0.657218&z=16.3&r=0&src=ggl

SteveA
21st March 2007, 10:15
They should rename it the "NIMBY button"!

cgs
21st March 2007, 13:08
whats odd is that on the Microsoft VE areial, if you zoom out it is there, but zoom in and it dissappears. even odder

JovialJooles
21st March 2007, 13:36
whats odd is that on the Microsoft VE areial, if you zoom out it is there, but zoom in and it dissappears. even odder

The way these sites work is to overlay different resolution images over each other as you zoom in and out. The images are not all taken at the same time, hence Rockingham appears in the wider view, but as you zoom in - transferring to another image - Rockingham disappears as this resolution image is quite old.

Google Earth works in exactly the same way.

Julian

cgs
21st March 2007, 13:36
i know how it works, it's just odd....

JovialJooles
21st March 2007, 13:53
i know how it works, it's just odd....

Why is it odd?

cgs
21st March 2007, 14:27
because one minute Rockingham is there, the next it isn't....

Al_Green
21st March 2007, 14:35
Been using MSNs version of maps (maps.live.com) over the last few days for work, and noticed that Rockingham was there from a distance but not close. It seems that a lot of the close maps on there are out of date, but if you get the option of a 3D/Birds eye view they are very recent. For example the overhead shot of where I work shows it pre-extension, with roughly half the current building missing - The birds eye view shows all the new building from all sides, plus the new Doncaster Rovers stadium over the road, which would suggest a photo in the last 4-6 months, looking at the stage of the works

An improvement on MSN compared to Google maps in some way though - You can get detailed aerial photos for most other race circuits now (except Rockingham), which Google didn't have. Cadwell, Croft and Oulton (with a big race meeting in progress) are now detailed

Al

SteveA
21st March 2007, 15:23
I thought this was quite interesting:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.238876&lon=-0.595472&z=18.9&r=0&src=ggl

Santa Pod on Google, during a race weekend.

Switch to MS VE - different meeting!

Dave17
21st March 2007, 16:43
World superbikes at Brands, you can see the Ducati transporters.

JovialJooles
21st March 2007, 21:20
because one minute Rockingham is there, the next it isn't....

I think I've entered the Twighlight Zone.

Will the last person out please turn off the lights? :)

SteveA
22nd March 2007, 09:41
I think I've entered the Twighlight Zone.

Will the last person out please turn off the lights? :)

I did, then I stubbed my toe on a chair that wasn't there when I was zoomed out ;)

R3ROK
23rd March 2007, 12:32
World superbikes at Brands, you can see the Ducati transporters.

Dave, did you spot the red vehicle on circuit at Pilgrim's Drop? And there's a bike on the track on the Cooper Straight heading towards Surtees, and one heading towards Graham Hill Bend (I assume they are bikes and not marshals!) There's also a white van heading towards Stirlings bend......always a white van......lol. Gosh, I must have too much time on my hands.... :)

John