PDA

View Full Version : Marco Andretti to Test Honda F1 Car

Hoss Ghoul
9th December 2006, 08:31
http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/9859668

INDIANAPOLIS -- Marco Andretti, the Indy Racing League's rookie of the year and runner-up in the Indianapolis 500, will test a Formula One car next week in Spain as part of the Honda Racing F1 winter development program.

Marbles
9th December 2006, 15:25
Well it be a real test or a PR test. Does he take it around for a few laps or does he get to work on set up and have a few days in it?

Mark in Oshawa
9th December 2006, 19:41
Likely it is a test to see what the kid has. If he is really fast, maybe they take a hard look at him, but like most f1 tests, nothing is promised and nothing really is being looked at other than to make news for Honda in this case.

Placid
10th December 2006, 01:15
I wish Sam Hornish Jr would also be given that same honor.

DocF225
10th December 2006, 04:28
I have heard that Mario has been trying to gently steer Marco toward F1. Marco is a good driver I hope he gets a "real" look. Further proof that driving talent skips a generation.

Hotlavaaaa
10th December 2006, 06:15

Why? Hornish is a great oval driver, but a terrible road course driver. His future is in NASCAR anyways. I'm thinking that this isn't so much a reward thing for Marco, but more a legitamite test to see if he has what it takes.

millencolin
10th December 2006, 14:13
i think this is more a token test... if my hazy memory serves me correctly, which it usually doesnt, didnt honda do the same thing for Kannan?

DRC
10th December 2006, 19:39
"The team has invited Marco to drive its 2006-spec RA106 on Friday, December 15, the final day of its scheduled test, in recognition of the 19-year-old’s achievements in the Honda-powered IndyCar Series this year."

Nothing in this article indicates its more than a courtesy drive.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/34358/

Subaru WRX
11th December 2006, 04:29
better Helio Castroneves :D

Hotlavaaaa
11th December 2006, 04:45
Nothing in this article indicates its more than a courtesy drive.

If the test was a courtesy test or a reward it would be Hornish or Wheldon doing it. This is, IMO, a test to see if Marco has what it takes. Bernie knows that an Andretti in F1 again would be good for the sport's popularity in the U.S.

canada
11th December 2006, 08:37
Well, I think Honda like many other teams/manufacturers would like to have the inside scoop on any prospective driver, and Marco has shown that he has considerable talent. If Honda can sniff a hint of success, they're likely to test the kid to see if he passes the first hurdles.

ZzZzZz
11th December 2006, 12:22
We know a few worthy drivers racing here haven't gotten the respect they deserve in the F1 paddock lately, but:

1) This kid is young and fast - he could be the one. Bernie wants an American in F1, as in winning in F1. So do others, such as:

2) Honda. Many reasons they'd want him. No biases. They already have a relationship.

3) Don't forget Gil de Ferran. He's not full of B.S. like so many of the honchos over there. He wants to win and they're heading in that direction.

You can bet this test is serious. It may be very early in he process, but its a step.

DocF225
11th December 2006, 20:53
I hope you're right and this is more than a courtesy ride. Like I said earlier, looks like driving skill skips a generation.

Mark in Oshawa
12th December 2006, 00:07
Doc, I hope he hasn't the attitude of his old man. One of the things that really soured people on Michael was he didn't try to fit in to the f1 way of doing things, and while I hate snobbish euro weenies, to survive in F1 you have to play their game of PR and being around the team all the time. You cant fly in and drive the way many drivers do over here.

pits4me
12th December 2006, 02:06
If the test was a courtesy test or a reward it would be Hornish or Wheldon doing it. This is, IMO, a test to see if Marco has what it takes. Bernie knows that an Andretti in F1 again would be good for the sport's popularity in the U.S.

Let's not forget where Gil DeFerran from and who his friends are.

DRC
12th December 2006, 17:08
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/34402/

drewdawg727
12th December 2006, 17:43
Dan Wheldon tried testing for F1 too last year. That never amounted to anything.

DocF225
12th December 2006, 20:57
Doc, I hope he hasn't the attitude of his old man. One of the things that really soured people on Michael was he didn't try to fit in to the f1 way of doing things, and while I hate snobbish euro weenies, to survive in F1 you have to play their game of PR and being around the team all the time. You cant fly in and drive the way many drivers do over here.

True, but that's where Mario might be a better influence. Michael traded on his last name too much without really backing it up on the track.

ArrowsFA1
13th December 2006, 15:30
I have heard that Mario has been trying to gently steer Marco toward F1.
Looks like Mario's done a good job :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56006

13th December 2006, 18:24
There is the old sporting adage ......"If they're good enough, they're old enough".

There is another old saying....."You can't teach an old dog new tricks"

I expect that someone of Mario's experience knows there is truth in both.

If the plan is to get Marco in Formula One, the less time he spends in another discipline the better it will be for his chances of a Formula One career.

That's not a slight at the IRL, just that the days of a driver being able to multi-task between different disciplines are long gone.

It's certainly not the same world it was when Mario could do it.

DRC
13th December 2006, 18:27
If the plan is to get Marco in Formula One, the less time he spends in another discipline the better it will be for his chances of a Formula One career.

That's not a slight at the IRL, just that the days of a driver being able to multi-task between different disciplines are long gone.

+1. I would be very shocked if Marco spent the next two years in the IRL and is able to just jump into F1. Not a statement about his ability, but the IRL is so far outside the F1 ladder system, I just don't see it happening.

Alexamateo
13th December 2006, 20:16
I agree. If that is his goal, he should be in Europe or at least in Champ Car. Heck, the way AGR can swell sponsorship, why not try to run both series where they don't conflict.

jarrambide
13th December 2006, 20:33
To get a chance at F1 he needs a way to find a GP2 seat, he will not do that while driving in the IRL, he should go to any of the european series while he is still young, prove himself move to GP2 and hope that by that time he is on the good side of any F1 team, THAT is the real difference between going to F1 or not, most of the F1 teams have 3, 4 or 5 protegés, watching their every race, watching how they injteract with their team, their ability to help with the setup of a car.
Thin about it, how many seats are available each year?, sometime as low as 1, but almost never more than 4, and you have at least 20 young drivers that teams have been monitoring.
If he really wants to go to F1 he needs to go to Europe NOW, you donīt want to be 22 or 25 and beeing a rookie in one of the Reanult formulas in Europe.

Placid
15th December 2006, 07:15
It may take him at least 3-4 years for Marco to have that F1 seat. Graham Rahal had the idea into GP2 testing. But bad weather scratched those plans.

jarrambide
15th December 2006, 18:58
Marcoīs time

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.493 100
2. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:19.586 92
3. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.750 95
4. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:19.798 100
5. Klien Honda (B) 1:19.835 121
6. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:19.894 125
7. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:19.899 38
8. Vettel BMW-Sauber (B) 1:20.069 117
9. Liuzzi Red Bull-Ferrari (B) 1:20.191 72
10. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:20.854 104
11. Gene Ferrari (B) 1:21.015 98
12. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Cosworth (B) 1:21.277 100
13. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.368 64
14. Andretti Honda (B) 1:21.888 67
15. Speed Toro Ross-Cosworth (B) 1:23.315 14

Yes, he was almost 2 secons slower than Klien in the other Honda, but this was the firs time of this guy on that Honda or any other F1 car, and you canīt call Marco an experienced driver, heck, even Bourdais was .7 slower than Liuzzi on his first day with Toro Rosso, it took Bourdais an extra day to get the same times as Liuzzi in a Toro Rosso, and a third day to do some great times in the Toro Rosso, too bad we didnīt have the chance to also see Marco testing the whole 3 days, that would have give us a real parameter.

jarrambide
15th December 2006, 18:58
Marcoīs time

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.493 100
2. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:19.586 92
3. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.750 95
4. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:19.798 100
5. Klien Honda (B) 1:19.835 121
6. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:19.894 125
7. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:19.899 38
8. Vettel BMW-Sauber (B) 1:20.069 117
9. Liuzzi Red Bull-Ferrari (B) 1:20.191 72
10. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:20.854 104
11. Gene Ferrari (B) 1:21.015 98
12. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Cosworth (B) 1:21.277 100
13. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.368 64
14. Andretti Honda (B) 1:21.888 67
15. Speed Toro Ross-Cosworth (B) 1:23.315 14

Yes, he was almost 2 seconds slower than Klien in the other Honda, but this was the firs time of this guy on that Honda or any other F1 car, and you canīt call Marco an experienced driver, heck, even Bourdais was .7 slower than Liuzzi on his first day with Toro Rosso, it took Bourdais an extra day to get the same times as Liuzzi in a Toro Rosso, and a third day to do some great times in the Toro Rosso, too bad we didnīt have the chance to also see Marco testing the whole 3 days, that would have give us a real parameter.

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2006, 05:27
Tam, you have it right. If Marco shows outright blinding speed within a few laps, he will get a look at a ride or at least testing contract. The Andretti name will help, but if the kid has the royal jelly, driving anywhere but in the f1 system (F1 testing or GP2) will ultimately hurt his prospects in f1.

carrera66
18th December 2006, 20:35
No way should he be driving in Champ Car. Look at Bourdais... He's got 3 championships and he's just now get'n a sniff. Ask Christian Klien if Champ Car is a good idea.

Marco will be in Barrichello's Honda seat in a couple of years.

jarrambide
18th December 2006, 20:45
No way should he be driving in Champ Car. Look at Bourdais... He's got 3 championships and he's just now get'n a sniff. Ask Christian Klien if Champ Car is a good idea.

Marco will be in Barrichello's Honda seat in a couple of years.
He will not get to that Honda seat by staying in the IRL either, if he wants to be in F1 read my previous posts, he needs to go to europe and try to get a GP2 seat as fast as possible, then he can think about F1.

DRC
18th December 2006, 20:46
No way should he be driving in Champ Car.

Who said he should be in Champ Car? If he wants F1, he should be in Europe...not the IRL.

wedge
19th December 2006, 14:49
There is the old sporting adage ......"If they're good enough, they're old enough".

There is another old saying....."You can't teach an old dog new tricks"

I expect that someone of Mario's experience knows there is truth in both.

Its the Mario and Michael tug of love.

Michael wants him in IRL, Mario prefers Marco moved over to Europe with the target of getting a full time test seat then race seat.

Marco is a good road racer, that where most of his talent lies - you only have to look at him being on the pace with Ganassi at the Glen, Sonoma, Florida.

He's what, 19/20 now? There a few years of IRL left in him, IMHO. Nearly half of the calender are road courses so that will help gain experience. He needs to be in Europe when he's 22/23. I'd be worried if he isn't in Europe by the time he's 25.

DRC
19th December 2006, 18:03
^ Agree completely. Maybe by then American Open Wheel will be in better shape and he can be a big part of that rejuvination. But if he wants F1, he's got to be there now.

carrera66
20th December 2006, 18:26
I agree. If that is his goal, he should be in Europe or at least in Champ Car. Heck, the way AGR can swell sponsorship, why not try to run both series where they don't conflict.

Who said he should be in Champ Car? If he wants F1, he should be in Europe...not the IRL.

I was commenting on the previous quote that Champ Car would not be the way to go. I agree he should be in GP2, but until he can talk the old man (Michael) into it, he might as well stay and try and win the 500.

DRC
20th December 2006, 18:34
I see it now. Must have read over that too fast.

Marbles
5th January 2007, 03:04
American open wheel doesn't mean a lot to many people but Marco is in the big leagues over here. I don't see him giving it up to drive in the minors over in Europe. F1 isn't everything to everyone! I'm not saying Marco wouldn't like F1 but would he give up what he has now for a shot at F1 down the road and... hopefully a competent team? I firmly do not believe that GP2 is his only choice.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Continued improvement over here, perhaps some guest appearances in CC or even Grand Am or Le Mans for continued development on road\street racing. If he shows potential then his way will be paved directly to F1 by the powers that be. His name is Andretti and he will benefit from it the same way Jacques Villeneuve made inroads with his name. A major team will be convinced to have a serious look at him and give him serious testing. F1 wants a successful American driver and if his last name is Andretti then all the better. It would be Bernie's wet dream... if he's still running the show???

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 06:45
Marbles, he doens't need any development on road/street racing. That is just it. The kid can drive well enough on the road courses NOW to win races in the IRL. Could he do it in Champ Car? Likely, so the question is, staying here would hurt ANY other driver going to F1 UNLESS he won damn near everything in sight, like Montoya did in CART, and Zanardi did in CART. I don't see an IRL guy getting a serious look over there, even if his name is Andretti.

No, Mario would love him to go to Europe, Mikey wants to keep him home because f1 bit him and spit him out. Mikey didn't fit in there and I think is forgetting Marco has to make up his own mind, and Mario might have to realize Maybe Marco isn't wanting f1. The kid isn't going to say what he wants right now, if it is anything but an IRL future, then it hurts his Dad's team.

I think if Marco wants f1, he has to go to Europe and do SOMETHING over there for a year. He wont get there from the IRL or Champ Car. Sebatien Bourdais is the best road racing OW driver on this side of the Atlantic and he cannot get much more than the same type of tests with weak f1 teams, and he is from that enviroment. I don't see the Andretti name working this time. Mikey made damned sure of that with his McLaren experiment...

Hoss Ghoul
2nd February 2007, 20:58
IndyCar Series driver Marco Andretti will join the Honda (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/35141/#) Racing Formula 1 team for a second test at the Jerez de la Frontera circuit in Spain on February 7-8, the team confirmed today.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/35141/

Marco Andretti is getting a second F1 test with Honda.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 07:15
Hoss, I think Marco is having the benefit of the last name "Andretti". His first test didn't show a whole lot, but that usually is enough to doom ya in F1.

Hoss Ghoul
3rd February 2007, 08:14
I'm sure it isn't hurting, but his first test was only a one day deal, right? I don't remember. This sounds like it will be a real test, in last years car.

Either way, I can't see him hurting his chances unless he's terrible at this stage, after all he's only 19 and being off the pace at that age shouldn't be a potential career killer.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 17:39
Hoss, I suspect he will do better than some people might think. The kid has the "royal jelly" IMO....

As much as I disliked his dad, I never doubted his talent, and Mario has to be one of the greats, so based on what I have seen so far, Marco is no ****er....

MAX_THRUST
12th February 2007, 13:55
How many more drivers are Honda going to string along with ideas of F1 for them just to never happen? I think it is sad that Honda keeps it drivers with the idea of progression into the world of F1. Good luck to the kid, but he hasn't got nearly enough experience on road coures yet, especially European tracks, a year in GP2 would be the best next move, then F1. Marco would be better off going to Nascar with all the other drivers that aint ever gonna make it to F1. Remind me if I get this wrong PLEASE!!!

F1boat
13th February 2007, 12:33
How many more drivers are Honda going to string along with ideas of F1 for them just to never happen?

IMO Marco for now is fully focused on the IRL championship and Indy 500.

Jag_Warrior
17th February 2007, 18:43
How many more drivers are Honda going to string along with ideas of F1 for them just to never happen? I think it is sad that Honda keeps it drivers with the idea of progression into the world of F1. Good luck to the kid, but he hasn't got nearly enough experience on road coures yet, especially European tracks, a year in GP2 would be the best next move, then F1. Marco would be better off going to Nascar with all the other drivers that aint ever gonna make it to F1. Remind me if I get this wrong PLEASE!!!

I also think he'd be better off going to GP2 for a season or two, and then trying to break into F1 (if he shows the necessary skill and speed). As for going to NASCAR... how would he do that? As far as I know, he's never driven ANY sort of stock car. What top or even mid-pack team would take him on? Even Paul Tracy couldn't find the speed to make the transition possible. A.J. Allmendinger was offered a contract, before he proved it was within his abilities, and now look at him (so far, anyway). Danica Patrick (and her father/manager?) talked about her going to NASCAR. But again, the closest thing to a stock car that Danica's ever been in (AFAIK) was a Ferrari 550 or 575 GTS car... and she didn't exactly shock the world with her speed in that. She talked about her ability to produce TV ratings for NASCAR... not about her ability to race, or even qualify for a race = pure PR stunt on her part. IMO, it would take Marco as many years in ARCA and/or the Busch Series to get into NASCAR Nextel Cup, as it would take for him to work up through the Formula One ladder. Tony Stewart (even though I can't stand him) made the jump with great success. I believe (hope) that Juan Montoya can do the same.

Increasingly, the best young drivers in North America are looking more at NASCAR than at either open wheel series. The competition is thick and deep. And if you're able to win, the money rivals that in F1. If you're decent, the money is still better than what either open wheel series can offer. NASCAR is now a desired destination, not a resting place for the half talented, or for those who can't find seats elsewhere.

So I hope that Marco makes this his last season in North America (for awhile anyway). I don't say that because I want to see the IRL lose its most promising rising star. I want to see an American make a mark in Formula One! I'd say most of the people on this board weren't even born when Phil Hill and Dan Gurney were making noise in Europe. If young Marco goes, I figure he and Graham Rahal can decide which one of them is going to be THE American in Forumula One. :cool:

And hey, if either or both wash out in three or four years, they can always come back to the U.S. and race against pretty much the same cast of characters who are in the two series now. I just don't see anything spectacular happening in the AOWR scene in that three or four year time span.

beachbum
17th February 2007, 21:33
Jag, it is nice to read a fair and well thought out message on the forums. I think you are on the mark in every area, althought I am sure there will the few diehards who won't agree.

F1boat
19th February 2007, 07:53
I still fail to see whu he should give up his Indy dream for GP 2. Never have either F3000, nor F2 created F1 champion. Honda has already noticed him. IMO Marco should become IRL champion and win the 500, if he can, and then, if Honda wants him, go into F1.
About NASCAR, nothing against the series, but I hope that Marco stays in open wheel racing.