PDA

View Full Version : plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose......

Chris R
20th September 2011, 18:36
first, no, I am not bi-lingual - just a Rush fan.....

I just finished re-reading AJ Foyt's autobiography from 1983 (modestly titled" My life as America's greatest race car driver" :) )

Toward the end he goes on a bit of a rant about the USAC & CART issues of the day and it was very interesting.

At the time (1983) he had no use for either CART or USAC and it sounds like he never thought all that much of USAC if you read the comments he made about his early career.... He said the problem with both was that they did not treat everyone equally. He felt that the larger teams (Penske and Patrick at the time) did everything for their own good and nothing for the good of the sport. He felt both USAC and CART bent to the will of certain individuals or small groups of people and that they generally lacked good leadership. He suggested the only way for Indycar racing to flourish was to adopt a NASCAR type model where a dictator type did not bow to anyone (he thought highly of Bill France).....

Overall, everything he talked about 30 years ago is still true today. I suspect TG did what he did largely based on what AJ had to say (if not in that specific book than in ideology anyway) - the problem is that TG is no Bill France and never was or had the potential to be.....

Today we have two dominant team players who have more sway of the sport than is healthy, poor leadership, etc..... Everything that AJ complained about in 1983 is still a problem today....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

Anyway, I thought this was interesting and very relevant to the recent postings about TGBB, the failure of the Las Vegas bonus, the failure of the multiple body kits and the issues with engine makers.....

Clearly the solution requires much more of a "clean slate" approach than most of us have envisioned.....

Mark in Oshawa
20th September 2011, 18:40
Interesting...and AJ isn't wrong in that the best racing organizations are run by a strong hand who is impartial. I do think the IRL has been impartial at times (contrary to what many think) but I also think Brian Barnhart is inept enough no one can tell....

Indycar racing was at its peak in the late 80's and early 90's. Wally Dallenbach was a FIRM leader of how events were run and officiated. I couldn't even tell you who was running CART back then, but they had decent marketing, great ratings (in a different TV universe admittedly) and a popularity close to NASCAR. So at one point...the powers that be got it right.............and then along came Tony....

SarahFan
21st September 2011, 00:14
They should give it to Anthonyvop

Chris R
21st September 2011, 12:53
They should give it to Anthonyvop

hmmm, don't know that we need another Tony :eek:

uncommonsense52
22nd September 2011, 06:52
As a Rush fan myself, thanks for now disappointing me. I read the thread title with Geddy's vocals in my head haha.

And I'd somewhat have to agree. I just think it's scary to just give someone that power... because then we do get Tony George. And I think the worst thing Indycar could do is make that same mistake again.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd September 2011, 07:48
They bring back Tony, they are dead in the water. Notice by the way that the stalwarts on this forum are the same guys who were the stalwarts on the Champ Car Forum. I don't know even know where half the guys from the old IRL forum went. I was one of the rare ones on both....but I think it is telling that the old Tony George defenders cant even stay interested...but I know if we get Tony back, they will come out of the wood work to tell us how brilliant he is and how evil Cheap and Roger are....