PDA

View Full Version : 888 finally ditch the Vectra

Alfa Fan
20th September 2011, 17:58
For an NGTC car! Wonder what they'll built. Can't help but feel they may have a manufacturer programme lined up.

RMLCruzeing82
20th September 2011, 19:48
Im better its Vauxhall. they did say they wanted to come back so who knows. i just hope Chevy say if they do come back

Robinho
20th September 2011, 20:20
so we should have Wrathall in the Toyota, 2xRob Austin Audi's, The Proton, A Skoda, the Dynamics Hondas and whatever Triple 8 run (i'm guessing that they will take over the Insignia project Thorney motorsport started and i've heard nothing about for a while and be at least a quais manufacturer VX team. I think there are another coupe of toyotas expected next year too. I expect that most of the rest of the teams will end up being NGTC by next year, maybe the BMW's will stick with S2000 but will be with turbo engines and god knows what RML will do. I fully expect NGTC to be the pacesetting cars next year

Rollo
20th September 2011, 21:21
I'd read that the Vectras were going to be raced in Dubai in the 24hr race in 2012. This means that the cars themselves aren't being junked yet.

Alfa Fan
20th September 2011, 22:52
The Thorney Insignia project is still going ahead btw, if you haven't heard anything about it you haven't been looking hard enough! Official unveiling of the team, car(s) and sponsor(s) is to take place the weekend before the Silverstone rounds in October. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they have in store!!

Robinho
21st September 2011, 08:28
The Thorney Insignia project is still going ahead btw, if you haven't heard anything about it you haven't been looking hard enough! Official unveiling of the team, car(s) and sponsor(s) is to take place the weekend before the Silverstone rounds in October. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they have in store!!

I haven't looked at all really, but there have been no updates that i have seen here, on BTTC.net, Autosport or Touring Car times since about April when it said they would be at the last round. As with so many touted projects I assumed that it had fallen by the wayside, but with 888 on the scene and with a history of running VX's is makes some sense that they may bring that project in house. If they don't I don't think they'll be running VX's as well.

Rollo
29th September 2011, 13:18
This week's Auto Action magazine reports that 888 will be building a pair of Vectras for the 2012 season. I don't know what that means exactly.

I had a chat to a friend at 888 at Banyo, Qld and he said that he hadn't heard anything coming from the UK about what they were going to do, other than that they were bench testing a few NGTC engines.

Allyc85
29th September 2011, 15:32
Vectras? Why would they build an out dated car, surely they mean the Insignia?

Rollo
29th September 2011, 21:36
Vectras? Why would they build an out dated car, surely they mean the Insignia?

Why? Because all of the suspension geometry and settings, already exists.
The way I read this is that the 2012 season is a stop gap measure because something else is coming in 2013.

Does this mean to suggest that there could be another manufacturer in the wings?

Alfa Fan
29th September 2011, 22:54
If it was a stop gap they would not be building an NGTC car! They would be sticking with the S2000 Vectra. An NGTC Vectra isn't even possible, the car is out of production and thus ineligible.

Rollo
29th September 2011, 23:49
the car is out of production and thus ineligible.

link please!!! :D

Alfa Fan
30th September 2011, 11:41
To what? A link about the Vectra being out of production? Or a link to the rule where it has to be in production?

Allyc85
30th September 2011, 14:23
Why? Because all of the suspension geometry and settings, already exists.
The way I read this is that the 2012 season is a stop gap measure because something else is coming in 2013.

Does this mean to suggest that there could be another manufacturer in the wings?

The suspension data would be useless as NGTC cars use a different system and as said the car has to be in production :)

Rollo
1st October 2011, 15:12
If it was a stop gap they would not be building an NGTC car! They would be sticking with the S2000 Vectra. An NGTC Vectra isn't even possible, the car is out of production and thus ineligible.

http://www.btcc.net/pdf/regulations_2011.pdf
5.2.23 NGTC Engine
Upon application, it may be permitted to fit an engine complying with the NGTC Regulations into existing S2000 cars. For the common NGTC engine the seals fitted to the engine by the TOCA supplier must remain intact at all times. The details of the TOCA NGTC engine and the NGTC engine installation requirements are available from the BTCC Chief Scrutineer.
The TOCA nominated ECU and other TOCA nominated parts must be used.
All modifications must be approved by the Administrator and Homologated as technical waivers.

Isn't possible eh?

Admittedly I haven't seen the NGTC regulations in full, but the summary suggests that the base vehicle must be on "sale through the manufacturer's dealer network". If that's true, then all used Vauxhalls provided they were acquired through Network Q which is part of the "manufacturer's dealer network" would be elligible.

BDunnell
1st October 2011, 15:43
http://www.btcc.net/pdf/regulations_2011.pdf
5.2.23 NGTC Engine
Upon application, it may be permitted to fit an engine complying with the NGTC Regulations into existing S2000 cars. For the common NGTC engine the seals fitted to the engine by the TOCA supplier must remain intact at all times. The details of the TOCA NGTC engine and the NGTC engine installation requirements are available from the BTCC Chief Scrutineer.
The TOCA nominated ECU and other TOCA nominated parts must be used.
All modifications must be approved by the Administrator and Homologated as technical waivers.

Isn't possible eh?

I think there is some confusion here. The reference to an NGTC Vectra not being possible is being made with regard to the building of an entirely NGTC-spec version. Of course it is possible to run an S2000-spec Vectra with an NGTC powerplant — this is exactly the spec in which the Vectras engaged in this year's BTCC are running.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2011, 17:57
Wake up Rollo!!!!!