PDA

View Full Version : Dyson championship tainted

RogerW
20th September 2011, 00:44
In years gone by, I have been very happy when Dyson Racing won championships. Not so this year. It's bad enough that they purposely held their companion entry (#20) in the pits near the end of the race until the car shared by Chris Dyson (#16) could pass it. The worse part is that it was so unnecessary. They gained a few points so that they won the title one race earlier. The chance of them not winning the title at Petit was only statistical. The increased LMP1 entry precludes even a faintly realistic chance for another winner.

To me, Rob Dyson has always represented the pinacle of competitive sportsmanship. I have always believed that "Dyson" equals "integrity." Things seem to have changed at Dyson Racing. So little gained. So much lost.

FormerFF
20th September 2011, 03:48
I could see your point if it had been for the win. Since is was for second and third place, not so much.

Racing is uncertain, the Petit LeMans is long, and it would be entirely possible to not score any points if the #16 had problems early on, so I understand the reasoning behind the move.

F1boat
20th September 2011, 05:31
Racing is uncertain, the Petit LeMans is long, and it would be entirely possible to not score any points if the #16 had problems early on, so I understand the reasoning behind the move.
+1

RogerW
21st September 2011, 16:57
I have to eat my words regarding a critical part of my first posting. Specifically, "So little gained." is not true. I overlooked the fact that only full year entrants are eligible for Team points (and, apparently, Driver points). Thus, the diesel and Rebellion Racing, et al entry at Petit doesn't preclude Muscle Milk Aston Martin Racing from scoring maximum points. So, had the #16 finished third, there would have been a real possibility of the team (and drivers?) not winning the title(s).

I still wish that Dyson had not issued team orders, but it is now a lot easier to understand.

FormerFF
24th September 2011, 03:14
As of this moment, there are 58 cars on the entry list. Even if the #16 drove a conservative race, there is a very real chance of any car being knocked out.

unhcounhco
15th October 2011, 17:42
How many times are we going to have to see this 'pressure' commercial touting the Players Championship? I'm already so sick of it. One version talks about Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3, and the 'hero.' Please. Whenever you come up with an idea ... (mainly GC and US golf announcers, apparently) doubted last week that Lee should be world's number one after his perhaps tainted victory in Indonesia, tainted perhaps because there were very few big name golfers at that tournament.