PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Cigs

Knock-on
18th September 2011, 20:19
Has anyone ever tried electronic cigarettes?

Thinking about giving up smoking for the umpteenth time and want to get some personal experience of these devices.

Zico
18th September 2011, 22:22
I usually smoke around 10 a day and got one a couple of months ago just to see what they were like and hopefully (but half-heartedly) move towards giving up if it was good enough. I've used it for about three days in total but only when I've been out of normal cigs.

It may be the closest thing you will get to a cigerette but dont expect it to be a similar experience or get close to matching the enjoyment of smoking a real cig, theres still something missing and the novelty value soon wears off. However... If you are truely determined to giving up and just need a little help to satisfy at least some of the cravings I think it will definately help you.

Good luck!

tfp
18th September 2011, 23:48
It doesnt really get rid of the cravings altogethor, just takes the ferocity off them. Also, why cant you buy re-usable ones anymore? All you can buy are the disposable ones.

Knock-on
19th September 2011, 10:37
You can buy reusable ones which is what I'm going to try. Will let you know how it goes but won't post a link until I have formed an opinion.

donKey jote
19th September 2011, 17:56
I saw them at work the other day for the first time... are they "in" suddenly? :p

Still, the only way to stop smoking is simply (yes, simply !) to stop smoking :bandit:

ioan
19th September 2011, 20:02
...but dont expect it to be a similar experience or get close to matching the enjoyment of smoking a real cig...

And that would be?

ioan
19th September 2011, 20:03
Still, the only way to stop smoking is simply (yes, simply !) to stop smoking :bandit:

The only one I ever saw working for good for people who were trying to quit.

Zico
19th September 2011, 22:24
And that would be?

Smoking is an addiction, the chemicals/toxins satisfy the craving creating a feeling of enjoyment.

Knock-on
20th September 2011, 10:07
ioan. I get the impression that you never smoked.

It's a horrid addiction and most smokers are constantly trying to quit or would like to quit.

donKey jote
20th September 2011, 20:34
You have to want to quit to quit, that's the only way.
Those who are constantly trying to quit aren't really trying.

Zico
20th September 2011, 21:21
Ioan- It comes across like you hold smokers in contempt?

Daniel
21st September 2011, 11:13
Ioan- It comes across like you hold smokers in contempt?

To be fair though, as a non-smoker that makes a lot of sense.

As a non-smoker I can understand the addicition part, but what I don't understand is the starting out bit because you would have known it was addictive and harmful and you still chose to start. That doesn't make sense really does it?

Mark
21st September 2011, 11:23
I imagine for most smokers it's when they are young and it's because their friends do it?

I think many at my school thought it marked them out as being 'hard' or somehow mature.

Knock-on
21st September 2011, 11:35
To be fair though, as a non-smoker that makes a lot of sense.

As a non-smoker I can understand the addicition part, but what I don't understand is the starting out bit because you would have known it was addictive and harmful and you still chose to start. That doesn't make sense really does it?

Why anyone starts is a strange thing. For me, I knew it was wrong but that was the appeal. I wasn't old enough to know the effects of the toxins and poisons on my health. All I knew was that we were excited by doing this act, although it burnt our throat and lungs, made us cough, feel sick and eyes water. The taste was horrid although we pretended it didn't bother us because we were strong and could handle it.

We used to practice smoking reeds too and butt ends when we were 8 or 9 in an attempt to and fit in with the older group. That was the type of peer pressure that existed in the late 1970's, when fitting in with the group was the most important thing in the world.

Cancer wasn't really understood back then. Smoking was cool and on just about everything from F1 cars, to films, cartoons and every advertising board.

You wasn't strange to start smoking, it was strange NOT to.

Daniel
21st September 2011, 12:47
Why anyone starts is a strange thing. For me, I knew it was wrong but that was the appeal. I wasn't old enough to know the effects of the toxins and poisons on my health. All I knew was that we were excited by doing this act, although it burnt our throat and lungs, made us cough, feel sick and eyes water. The taste was horrid although we pretended it didn't bother us because we were strong and could handle it.

We used to practice smoking reeds too and butt ends when we were 8 or 9 in an attempt to and fit in with the older group. That was the type of peer pressure that existed in the late 1970's, when fitting in with the group was the most important thing in the world.

Cancer wasn't really understood back then. Smoking was cool and on just about everything from F1 cars, to films, cartoons and every advertising board.

You wasn't strange to start smoking, it was strange NOT to.
I guess that as someone who didn't grow up in that era I guess I can't understand it properly :) What gets me is that most smokers now understand the risks and try to quit, yet you still get new people starting smoking all the time who really should know better. I understand why it's hard for people to quit now, but you have to be a total idiot to grow up in the western world and take up smoking with all that we know and all that children get told about smoking......

Malbec
21st September 2011, 13:27
but you have to be a total idiot to grow up in the western world and take up smoking with all that we know and all that children get told about smoking......

The same peer pressures still exist though, and smoking is still seen as being cool among kids who'll do anything to fit in. Kids and teenagers don't have much sense of mortality, telling them they're going to die earlier if they smoke doesn't have as much effect as it does to someone older.

Same goes for driving of course, thats why younger drivers take more risks.

Daniel
21st September 2011, 15:14
The same peer pressures still exist though, and smoking is still seen as being cool among kids who'll do anything to fit in. Kids and teenagers don't have much sense of mortality, telling them they're going to die earlier if they smoke doesn't have as much effect as it does to someone older.

Same goes for driving of course, thats why younger drivers take more risks.

I guess I'm guilty of thinking about it a little too logically.

Knock-on
21st September 2011, 22:11
I guess I'm guilty of thinking about it a little too logically.

The problem is that there is nothing logical about it. That's the problem :(

Knock-on
23rd September 2011, 13:09
Feedback

So, background is that I have been Smoking from a very early age. My first experiment was when I was about 7.

I have tried many ways of giving up Smoking including will-power, NRT, Zyban, Hypnosis etc to little or no effect. The best I ever managed was 3 months.

So, what has happened so far?

I got my e-cig pack on Tuesday night and started using it Wednesday. The kit I choose was a Titan Compact from Electronic Cigarettes UK - E Cigarette & E Liquid / Electronic Cigarette Company (http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk)

The product that I got was the cheapest one at £30 to "dip my toe". I also got a spare kit free. There are hundreds of manufacturers out there and I chose this one because of their range and quite a lot of people in the UK support them. There is also a good blog and a forum on the totally wicked e-liquid site. I asked some questions and got immediate answers from other users. There are also online user guides.

The kit(s) turned up and they look quite subtle which is important to me. For some reason I have no problem smoking a cigarette but am concious about what people will think if I'm inhaling an e-cig? People that know me on here probably remember me as a slightly larger than life character with a fag in one hand and a beer in the other. What would they say!! :D It is about the dimensions of a Superking and pretty unobtrusive. It consists of a battery that recharges off a USB port which connects to the atomiser and then the cartridges that you can fill up with e-liquid (liquid nicotine). Real Jack and Jill stuff. You have a small button which you press that instantly vaporises some nicotine which you inhale in the normal way. You inhale the vaporised nicotine which is instantly absorbed and exhale smoke looking harmless and practically odourless vapour.

My approach was not to replace smoking with e-smoking (it's called vaping BTW) but too run them side by side to see how they compared and what I felt about it. I certainly was not going to put all sorts of pressure on myself by replacing smoking with vaping.

So, day 1. Wednesday.

I had a meeting in Milton Keynes which I didn't want to turn up to stinking of smoke so had a couple of fags and vaped in the car. No problem and didn't really fancy a fag. Had a few ciggies down the pub in the evening out of habit. Did notice a faint odour in the car but possibly because I was looking for it.

Day 2. Thursday.

In London on the train. Think I had a fag before I got on the train and one the other side but was mainly having the occasional vape. I love the fact that there is something in your hand to play with and you don't need to have a full cig, you just press the button, have a quick puff and pop it back in your pocket. Even had a couple of cheeky vapes on the train half hoping someone would say something. I was conscious of a faint odour coming from my inside suit pocket but think it was not too noticeable. I must be fair to the Titan here because it a first release. The second release is the Titan Tank which apparently is, as it suggests, a sealed cartridge and gets round this issue. However, I haven't tried it yet so cannot comment. Mmmmmmm?

Again, as I was hosting the Pub quiz, I reverted to my normal rolled cigs for the evening only because I didn't want to explain what I was doing to everyone. Found I was missing my Titan a bit but gradually reverted back to the fags.

Day 3. Friday.

Woke up with a mouth like a badgers backside due to smoking. It's 12:41 and haven't had a cigarette all day but had quite a few vapes during the morning. Just realised that for the first day for many a year, it's the afternoon and I don't have a clue where my Baccy, papers and lighter are. Just checked my pockets and they are there but also noticed I only have enough to roll a few ciggs. What's strange about this is that I bought that pack on Monday I think and it would normally last about 2.5 days so it's already lasted 4 and for some reason, I'm not panicking about rushing down the shops. I'm more concerned that my battery and cartridges are topped up.

On the subject of cartridges and e-fluid. You get 10ml with the starter kit and as I had a BOGOF offer, I had 2 bottles. I topped up 3 cartridges with 10 drops out of the first bottle. I don't know how much I used of those cartridges but they lasted the whole day and were still going strong. Perhaps I should leave one on to see how long one lasts but so far, I guess I have used about 0.5ml of the first bottle. a pack of baccy which lasts about 2.5 days is about £7.50 whereas a 10ml bottle is about £8 or 2 months worth the rate I am using it. Not a bad ROI :)

Conclusion

None as yet. I am in my 3rd day and I can confirm that using a e-cig is quite a pleasant experience to the extent that it's preferable at times to a traditional cigarette. I am not claiming it is a replacement for smoking or can help people stop but it's food for thought. As for me, I'm sticking with the vaping unless I fancy a cigarette in which case I will have one. I don't know if I am taking more nicotine or less than normal but am comfortable with my intake.

The amount of e-fluid I am using seems minimal and I am going to swap to the menthol bottle tomorrow to see what that's like. There are lots of different flavours and I might get 10ml of Cherry next week. Hell, I might as well get 10 X 5ml bottles of different flavour and experiment.

Will update again after the weekend but for now, I am pleasently surprised.

Daniel
23rd September 2011, 13:12
Best of luck knockie, although I don't always agree with you (OK, I practically never agree with you) I wouldn't wish anyone to be stuck with smoking, not even someone who supports the England Rugby Union team :mark: :p

555-04Q2
23rd September 2011, 13:16
Has anyone ever tried electronic cigarettes?

Thinking about giving up smoking for the umpteenth time and want to get some personal experience of these devices.

Everyone I have spoken to that has tried these has said they are a waste of time. They are also expensive to purchase and refill/reuse. Either smoke or quit completely ;)

Knock-on
23rd September 2011, 14:06
Everyone I have spoken to that has tried these has said they are a waste of time. They are also expensive to purchase and refill/reuse. Either smoke or quit completely ;)

I can't comment on the people you know but can only speak from my own experience. I only came across one for the first time last week and initially was trying to find out more and now am trying to give my experience of them. I don't make any claim about them but the one I use certainly delivers a nicotine kick and as I pointed out, works out much cheaper than my rolled ones.

555-04Q2
26th September 2011, 13:58
I can't comment on the people you know but can only speak from my own experience. I only came across one for the first time last week and initially was trying to find out more and now am trying to give my experience of them. I don't make any claim about them but the one I use certainly delivers a nicotine kick and as I pointed out, works out much cheaper than my rolled ones.

I know people who started trying them as long as a year ago. I know around a dozen people who have tried them and none of them were happy.

I used to smoke and the best way to quit is to just wake up one morning and stop. Then you play a game called, "Don't look at the cafe as you go past it..Don't look at the cafe as you go past it..." :p :

It's just mind over matter.

donKey jote
26th September 2011, 18:17
I used to smoke and the best way to quit is to just wake up one morning and stop. Then you play a game called, "Don't look at the cafe as you go past it..Don't look at the cafe as you go past it..." :p :

It's just mind over matter.

yep :)

Roamy
26th September 2011, 18:26
If I ever regress to smoking a electronic cigar - I hope someone kicks my ass and puts a pink bow on my dick.

Knock-on
26th September 2011, 20:57
If I ever regress to smoking a electronic cigar - I hope someone kicks my ass and puts a pink bow on my dick.

Ohhh, Uncle. I never took you for the type but I suppose it takes all sorts ;) :kiss: :s ailor:

Well, I have had 4 days without a cig apart from a couple on Saturday nightso I'm well impressed. Had a few cravings but nothing too much.

Quite happy with myself at present :D

donKey jote
26th September 2011, 21:27
go on, you know you want one :p

Bolton Midnight
26th September 2011, 23:49
Got one to smoke in airports, planes and bars is countries that don't believe in freedom.

Love the reactions of those around as they think I'm smoking, so funny.

The weight and hardness of it take a bit of getting used to, tastes similar to my usual brand too which was a nice touch.

Roamy
27th September 2011, 16:43
Ohhh, Uncle. I never took you for the type but I suppose it takes all sorts ;) :kiss: :s ailor:

Well, I have had 4 days without a cig apart from a couple on Saturday nightso I'm well impressed. Had a few cravings but nothing too much.

Quite happy with myself at present :D

Knock - Cigars are much better - Having a el rey de mundo oscuro today matter of fact

Knock-on
27th September 2011, 17:38
Knock - Cigars are much better - Having a el rey de mundo oscuro today matter of fact

:laugh:

Don't know what to say old friend. Would dearly like to share a nice Havana with a decent bottle of Whiskey with you but don't know if there's an e-cigar ready for that yet.

Quite happy about stopping the fags but Cigars????????

Roamy
28th September 2011, 06:02
never say never Knock - you never know when I may show up and we won't be doing any freaking electronic smoke
:)

Knock-on
28th September 2011, 09:24
And you wont be doing any poncy Bourbon. It will be Highland all the way :D

May even show you a decent golf course :p

Knock-on
30th September 2011, 12:32
Well, 10 days in and a quick update.

Since last Friday I have been using the e-cig every day but have had a couple of transgressions. First was about 00:30 on Saturday morning my battery ran out when I was out with the boys so had a couple of fags and again on Wednesday, I had a few more in the evening as I had a real hankering.

Both times I woke up with a pig of a throat :(

All in all, apart from 2 transgressions, I'm over the moon. I found that last week I had a lot more cravings to have a real cig and this week they are less although I'm not beating myself up if I transgress. Hopefully, by using the e-cig, these transgressions will lessen and eventually stop (until Fousto turns up with his Cigars :) )

Only real frustration so far is having to keep charging the batteries each day. As for the fluid, I guess I've used about 7ml of my original 20ml so about £15 per month which is a significant cost benefit. Other benefits are that I'm sure my sense of taste is improving and I feel much less lethargic, especially in the mornings.

So, my advice to any smokers out there. If you want to cut down or even give up, I would suggest you look at e-cigs. It's not a miracle cure but it's the most effective way I have found to start getting around the addiction and I've tried most things. What do you have to lose?

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 12:49
I feel much less lethargic, especially in the mornings

Must admit when I quit I felt exactly the opposite, I felt like I was half asleep all the time.

Knock-on
30th September 2011, 13:29
Must admit when I quit I felt exactly the opposite, I felt like I was half asleep all the time.

Were you using some sort of nicotine replacement? Nicotine is a stimulant and I imagine by taking the carbon monoxide and the 200 poisons in cigarettes away means it does what it's supposed to.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 13:38
Were you using some sort of nicotine replacement? Nicotine is a stimulant and I imagine by taking the carbon monoxide and the 200 poisons in cigarettes away means it does what it's supposed to.

Which time ha ha

Will power alone - which was the best result was also the biggest sleepiness but it also happened when I tried Champix.

Knock-on
30th September 2011, 13:46
I was one of the few people that reacted badly to Champix. Really affected my mental balance with mood swings.

With the e-cigs, I don't have that feeling of "panic" that I always got at the thought of giving up smoking.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 13:52
My wife read about the potential for suicide just before I started with them, but I said 'look on the bright side if I fling myself off a tall building and snuff it, least I'll not be smoking any more'.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 17:20
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/2279343/Stephen+Fry+smoking.jpg

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:22
Got one to smoke in airports, planes and bars is countries that don't believe in freedom.

Love the reactions of those around as they think I'm smoking, so funny.

The weight and hardness of it take a bit of getting used to, tastes similar to my usual brand too which was a nice touch.

It seems you just love putting those cylinder type of objects in your mouth, don`t you? :D

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 17:28
It seems you just love putting those cylinder type of objects in your mouth, don`t you? :D

Yeah, didn't I mention I'm a smoker, sorry should have sign posted that a bit better for you. Or is that a feeble attempt at a homosexual joke, hope your wang doesn't look like a tab, it should be quite a bit bigger Rambo.

Oh the post above, that's a well know thicky smoker by the way ;-)

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:36
Yeah, didn't I mention I'm a smoker, sorry should have sign posted that a bit better for you. Or is that a feeble attempt at a homosexual joke, hope your wang doesn't look like a tab, it should be quite a bit bigger Rambo.

LOL.

25th April 2013, 17:21
Yes i have tried it and it is a very good way to quit smoking a friend of mine started using it and got rid of the actual smokes it worked for him.
I am glad that you have shared it here.