PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen visits Williams factory

CaptainRaiden
16th September 2011, 21:11
Source: Formula 1 news, results, photos, videos, standings, calendar - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/series/1/formula-1/)

Räikkönen makes visit to Williams factory
16 September 2011

It is believed 2007 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen made a visit to Williams’ Formula 1 factory in Grove earlier this week. The exact reasons are unknown, although the team has not denied the appointment.

Reports first emerged in the Finnish press, with Räikkönen expected to have been viewing the Williams-built Jaguar C-X75 supercar as opposed to any F1-related talks.

“It was a private visit so we don't actually have a comment to make,” a team spokesperson said when contacted by GPUpdate.net on Friday.

Why would he go to their factory to look at a car? This is surely F1 talk. I don't think Williams can afford Kimi. As a Kimi fan, I'd be happy if he comes back, but hopefully not with Williams!

ioan
16th September 2011, 22:06
He's just getting himself back into the market.

Koz
16th September 2011, 23:38
Why would Kimi want to be in the worst team on the grid?

The best shot he has in F1 is with Renault - which can't really afford him, unless Mike decides to retire at the end of this season?
There's no place for him in F1 anymore, unless something drastic happens.
He should have comeback when Robert has his accident.

kfzmeister
17th September 2011, 02:51
He should have comeback when Robert has his accident.

They are already giving Kubica an October deadline, so Robert is not a for sure thing next year. Why not put Kimi in the Renault? And why not put him in a Williams.
Things can change drastically within F1, so next years Williams could be a competitor!
Bring back the Iceman!!

Koz
17th September 2011, 03:18
They are already giving Kubica an October deadline, so Robert is not a for sure thing next year. Why not put Kimi in the Renault? And why not put him in a Williams.
Things can change drastically within F1, so next years Williams could be a competitor!
Bring back the Iceman!!

How about we don't turn Kimi into a JV? :)

Renault can't afford him... They couldn't afford to pay Nick 2million, do you think Kimi would race for that?

Hell the way Renault has been going, I wouldn't bet against FI or even Sauber catching up to them by the end of the season.
This would suggest that they can't to develop or rather afford to, is Kimi the guy you want for development?

Williams - they are the worst team on the grid this year. Their worst season ever, IIRC?
Now they decide to hire Mr Spygate... Unless the Cosworth engine is the cause of all their misery, nothing will change next year. (Of course, maybe Mike could arrange someone to steal RBR designs...)
Maybe Lotus wouldn't be a bad idea for him... Tony appears to be able pay both his driver! (Trulli getting more than Rubens at that!)
They might even catch Williams next year.

DexDexter
17th September 2011, 08:25
I don't think Kimi is interested in driving for Williams, he didn't fancy Renault and they are a lot better than Williams. Williams already have a Finnish test driver managed by Mika Häkkinen, to me promoting Bottas would be a far mor likely scenario especially if they can get backing from somewhere.

Mia 01
17th September 2011, 09:47
Kimi and Williams, I love it! And, it could very well be true.

He wants to get into the F1 market again I think. Probably he could sign a one year deal with Williams and then hope for a ride with MacLaren or RBR 2013.

And then, as I mentioned in another thread, there´s the Nokia rumour.

Knock-on
17th September 2011, 11:12
I cn't see Kimi having any interest in F1. It's just not that important to him.

Mia 01
17th September 2011, 11:53
Here´s moore on the subject.

F1 News > Raikkonen visits Williams (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23571.html)

jens
17th September 2011, 15:45
Kimi has liked to do a lot of things for fun recently (NASCAR one-off, rallying), so perhaps he wanted to see, what is going on in the Williams factory for fun too. If there ever was any F1-talk, then considering the financial situation of Williams, I can imagine that they were perhaps interested if he can bring sponsors. And I don't see Kimi going that route, even if he suddenly feels committed to get back to F1 and is ready to race for peanuts.

Mia 01
17th September 2011, 16:09
Kimi has liked to do a lot of things for fun recently (NASCAR one-off, rallying), so perhaps he wanted to see, what is going on in the Williams factory for fun too. If there ever was any F1-talk, then considering the financial situation of Williams, I can imagine that they were perhaps interested if he can bring sponsors. And I don't see Kimi going that route, even if he suddenly feels committed to get back to F1 and is ready to race for peanuts.

Kimi is worth moore for Williams than ten pay drivers toghether, and yes, I mean in money.

Mia 01
17th September 2011, 17:52
And another link.

The real story: Raikkonen, Williams and Sutil (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/the-real-story-raikkonen-williams-and-sutil/)

kfzmeister
17th September 2011, 18:33
And another link.

The real story: Raikkonen, Williams and Sutil (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/the-real-story-raikkonen-williams-and-sutil/)

For once, i like what Joe wrote, especially this part about Williams new path and Kimi's motivation and potential

A motivated Kimi would be a powerful weapon for Williams, which has struggled in the doldrums this year and is last of the established F1 teams. But Kimi is not going to be bringing cash and so it would have to be seen as a risk to try to attract other sponsors. The team is in the process of rebuilding. It has hired a new technical team and while there is a certain amount of doubt about the appointment of Mike Coughlan as the man in charge, there is no doubt that Coughlan has designed some decent cars over the years. New aerodynamicist Jason Somerville is highly rated and Mark Gillan is a solid pair of hands when it comes to applying science to motor racing. The team has signed a deal with Renault and that means that next year Williams ought to be back in the hunt in the mid-grid and not in the current mess. What will turn the team back into a stronger force is good leadership. Success brings cash in F1 so the aim of the team should be to climb as high as possible in the Constructors’ Championship.
Kimi left F1 two years ago, wanting to do something else. He has done two seasons in the World Rally Championship and made a limited impression and then he popped up in NASCAR, although that seemed to be another false start. The signs are that he is thinking more about getting back into F1, if he can. He is only 31 but his lack of interest in his final year at Ferrari did not leave a good impression. It was felt that he had achieved his ambition and won a World Championship and did not seem particularly motivated to win another. Getting back into F1 was always going to be a challenge, as was seen when Renault F1 decided on Nick Heidfeld rather than Kimi. Whether Kimi is the right man to lead a Williams revival is an arguable point, but it might be a good move.

Mia 01
17th September 2011, 18:39
For once, i like what Joe wrote, especially this part about Williams new path and Kimi's motivation and potential

I agree with you, Kimi wants to prove some and that´s not against his friend Seb.

call_me_andrew
18th September 2011, 03:32
Hasn't Williams openly discussed an IPO? Maybe Kimi wants to buy part of the team.

Koz
18th September 2011, 06:52
Hasn't Williams openly discussed an IPO? Maybe Kimi wants to buy part of the team.

Williams went public in the beginning of the year... IIRC they didn't do very well.

Can someone find the current prices?

Edit: Apparently their shares fell 27%...
http://thef1times.com/news/display/03155

It is not very reassuring that a team, that had to go public to survive, is preforming the worst... Will make even less money from Bernie than last year...

Edit 2: Wouldn't it be interesting (although highly unlikely) if this were a performance stunt to raise the share prices and sell the team?

Koz
18th September 2011, 07:03
I doubt he'll return to a team that is incapable of at least finishing on the podium.

A team incapable of finishing in the top 10...

1. Nokia might not survive the next year. I wouldn't could not them for much.
2. Will the [hypothetical] Nokia sponsorship offset the losses from finishing 9th in the championship vs 6th last year? Food for thought.

Mark
18th September 2011, 11:28
Nokia will still be around, but will they be independent? They may end up being acquired by Microsoft.

Koz
18th September 2011, 13:09
Nokia will still be around, but will they be independent? They may end up being acquired by Microsoft.

Are Nokia independent, even now? :)

MS is the only friend Nokia has... And MS still extort payments from HTC and Samsung, 15$ per android device, I believe... The Galaxy S2 alone, has sold about 10 million units... That's a few billion right there...

If Nokia makes MS less money than Samsung and HTC, why will they want to lose money to keep Nokia afloat??
Android already dominates the market, by the time Nokia has a Windows device, Ice Cream Sandwich will be out and running on quad-core chips...
Is there any incentive for anyone to move from Android/iOS to Windows?
Nokia can't survive losing several billion this year when it has nothing to offer...

Have you had a look at the Nokia 5-6-700 range?
I think Nokia have a massive disaster on their hands.

In the words of Uncle Flavio: Time will tell. :)

Edit: Nokia's best hope is if MS buys out NVIDIA for them. TI and Qualcomm will be more than happy to fill NVIDIA's gap. :)

ArrowsFA1
18th September 2011, 13:17
I cn't see Kimi having any interest in F1. It's just not that important to him.
Which is why I can't see a top team having any interest in Kimi. If he wants be in F1 then IMHO he'll have to take a seat wherever he can get one, if he can get one.

The top three teams won't sign him, and if he wants to be in a winning F1 seat again he'll have to show he's prepared to work for it.

Mark
18th September 2011, 17:40
@Koz. All true. I trust you've seen the thread in Chit Chat where these issues are being discussed?

DexDexter
18th September 2011, 18:12
Which is why I can't see a top team having any interest in Kimi. If he wants be in F1 then IMHO he'll have to take a seat wherever he can get one, if he can get one.

The top three teams won't sign him, and if he wants to be in a winning F1 seat again he'll have to show he's prepared to work for it.

I don't think the situation is as gloomy as you describe it to be (from Kimi's point of view). Let's remember that he declined Mclaren's offer who then signed Button and the team knows who good he can still be. He is also in very good terms with Red Bull people and Vettel. There would be interest if Kimi himself showed that and he really hasn't.

Koz
19th September 2011, 00:08
@Koz. All true. I trust you've seen the thread in Chit Chat where these issues are being discussed?

Today is the first time I peeked inside the iphone thread... Seems a rather daunting read :eek:

I don't think the situation is as gloomy as you describe it to be (from Kimi's point of view). Let's remember that he declined Mclaren's offer who then signed Button and the team knows who good he can still be. He is also in very good terms with Red Bull people and Vettel. There would be interest if Kimi himself showed that and he really hasn't.

That's true BUT why didn't Kimi, if he wants to be in F1, show some interest a few weeks ago when Mark didn't have a contract with RBR for next year?

Surely, the exclusion from WRC isn't the only reason he wants to come back to F1 (if at all)?

DexDexter
19th September 2011, 07:32
Today is the first time I peeked inside the iphone thread... Seems a rather daunting read :eek:

That's true BUT why didn't Kimi, if he wants to be in F1, show some interest a few weeks ago when Mark didn't have a contract with RBR for next year?

Surely, the exclusion from WRC isn't the only reason he wants to come back to F1 (if at all)?

I don't think he is interested in F1, there is really no indication of that. Maybe Williams just invited him for a visit and he went to see what's going on. It doesn't mean he is interested in full-time racing anymore.

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 08:30
Kimi visits an F1 factory. I bet that has never happened before.

Kimi is gone from F1. Get over it.

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 08:39

RBR to sign Kimi? That's a pipe dream. A guy out of the sport for two years that showed no interest and a complete lack of motivation for the sport a lot of the time throughout his career and you think the best team on the grid would take a gamble on him? Not a chance. If he was that good Ferrari would not have payed him off for Alonso.

He could have been a great if he had bothered though.

DexDexter
19th September 2011, 08:42
RBR to sign Kimi? That's a pipe dream. A guy out of the sport for two years and you think the best team on the grid would take a gamble on him? Not a chance.

They very well could if he showed true interest. BTW Red Bull is financing Kimi's rally career and Vettel is his friend. The problem is that no team is going to be interested in Kimi if he isn't truly committed. It's funny how the guy is suddenly "Not a chance" when he was one of the very best drivers two years ago. But he isn't interested, so this discussion is academic.

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 08:49
They very well could if he showed true interest. BTW Red Bull is financing Kimi's rally career and Vettel is his friend. The problem is that no team is going to be interested in Kimi if he isn't truly committed. It's funny how the guy is suddenly "Not a chance" when he was one of the very best drivers two years ago. But he isn't interested, so this discussion is academic.

That's the crux right there. Commitment - he doesn't have it. A top team would not take a chance on a driver that isn't fully committed. Kimi would have to prove that first. A year in Torro Rosso perhaps, otherwise why would they take a chance on a guy that lacked the motivation to stay in the sport and for which there are plenty of equally capable drivers that can take his place? It would be an insane decision.

Dave B
19th September 2011, 09:15
Kimi visits an F1 factory. I bet that has never happened before.

Kimi is gone from F1. Get over it.
This.

Kimi's turning into the new Jacques!

Knock-on
19th September 2011, 10:24
Not too sure mate. Jacques is always shooting his gob off and basking in the rumour and intrigue where Kimi just gets on with things. He said he's had enough with F1 and left despite people saying he shouldn't and hasn't looked back.

It's not impossible that he will come back but knowing Kimi, there wouldn't be any hint from him before the announcement whereas with Jacques, we would suffer 9 months of "will he, won't he" before the truth emerges.

jens
19th September 2011, 10:54
BTW Red Bull is financing Kimi's rally career

Are you sure? I thought this was the case last year, but in 2011 Kimi has had to fund rallying from his own pockets.

I think that's why he may now starting to have second thoughts about WRC, because he can't keep funding the WRC project by himself forever and sponsors are not easy to come by. Does that mean he may finally start thinking that returning to F1 may not be such a bad idea, I don't know.

DexDexter
19th September 2011, 11:23
This.

Kimi's turning into the new Jacques!

How is Kimi turning into Jacques? Can you quote one bull you know what statement from him? A statement where he actually states he is interested or some other stuff that we hear from the slower Villeneuve quite frequently.

Are you sure? I thought this was the case last year, but in 2011 Kimi has had to fund rallying from his own pockets.

I think that's why he may now starting to have second thoughts about WRC, because he can't keep funding the WRC project by himself forever and sponsors are not easy to come by. Does that mean he may finally start thinking that returning to F1 may not be such a bad idea, I don't know.

He still has at least some sponsorship from them.

F1boat
19th September 2011, 11:56
DexDexter, do you think that Kimi might be interested in the WTCC? It's a championship closer to F1 (circuit racing), at least compared to the WRC, the races are not so long, but fun and with lots and lots of overtaking, it is still a prestigious series, but not too popular. For example, I think that Volvo might be happy to take him.

DexDexter
19th September 2011, 12:45
DexDexter, do you think that Kimi might be interested in the WTCC? It's a championship closer to F1 (circuit racing), at least compared to the WRC, the races are not so long, but fun and with lots and lots of overtaking, it is still a prestigious series, but not too popular. For example, I think that Volvo might be happy to take him.

I don't know what the guy is all about, I'm just commenting suggestions that are based on a visit or some other silly thing. Nobody has actually heard the guy say anything about a return to F1.

JRodrigues
19th September 2011, 14:01
RBR to sign Kimi? That's a pipe dream. A guy out of the sport for two years that showed no interest and a complete lack of motivation for the sport a lot of the time throughout his career and you think the best team on the grid would take a gamble on him?

That's how good he is.

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 14:18
That's how good he is.

Spot on. You're right totally. No interest and a lack of motivation pretty much sums up how "good" Kimi is.

kfzmeister
19th September 2011, 14:25
Spot on. You're right totally. No interest and a lack of motivation pretty much sums up how "good" Kimi is.

Funny how a guy like that became World Champion in 2008.

Mark
19th September 2011, 14:36
Which he only did because Hamilton and McLaren threw away an easy championship win when it was already in the bag!

And it was 2007!

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 15:13
Funny how a guy like that became World Champion in 2008.

Funny alright considering he wasn't champion in 2008.

The Black Knight
19th September 2011, 15:14
Which he only did because Hamilton and McLaren threw away an easy championship win when it was already in the bag!

And it was 2007!

I agree completely here. McLaren, and they have admitted, made some bad strategic mistakes which lost Lewis the championship that year. Saying that, I do believe that Kimi deserved a title because of his performances throughout the years when he bothered to use the talent he has.

Knock-on
19th September 2011, 16:41
One thing that is evident is that Williams are significantly altering the team make up at the moment.

Kimi was obviously talking about something as was Sutil when he visited. The design team is having top down restructure and the are getting Renault engines.

The game is definitely afoot at Grove.

Mark
19th September 2011, 17:11
Williams Renault back in action will be very interesting. Especially since the 'works' Renault team doesn't really exist any more.

Dave B
19th September 2011, 17:20
Not too sure mate. Jacques is always shooting his gob off and basking in the rumour and intrigue where Kimi just gets on with things. He said he's had enough with F1 and left despite people saying he shouldn't and hasn't looked back.

How is Kimi turning into Jacques? Can you quote one bull you know what statement from him? A statement where he actually states he is interested or some other stuff that we hear from the slower Villeneuve quite frequently.

My apologies: I was typing on a tiny touchscreen, on a toilet, and with a red wine hangover; so I didn't make myself clear. I meant that he is being turned into a Jacques-like figure by obsessive fans. You're both correct that Kimi himself has maintained a dignified silence on F1 matters since leaving the sport.

He still won't be back though... :p

Knock-on
19th September 2011, 17:23
Brockman / Toilet / Red Wine.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Dave B
19th September 2011, 17:27
Well quite :D

donKey jote
19th September 2011, 18:05
Kimi who? :p

DexDexter
19th September 2011, 18:57

And it was 2007!

Mclaren does that you know. I remember them throwing away a championship for Mr. Räikkönen in 2005 because they could not build a reliable car. In 2003 their new car was so bad that Kimi had to use the previous year's car on his way to second in the WDC.

gm99
19th September 2011, 21:07
Why would Kimi want to be in the worst team on the grid?

He probably wouldn't have visited Williams if he wanted to drive for HRT ;)

Koz
20th September 2011, 00:29
He probably wouldn't have visited Williams if he wanted to drive for HRT ;)

Who?

Do you mean those overgrown GP2 teams? They don't count.

F1boat
20th September 2011, 05:38
Mclaren does that you know. I remember them throwing away a championship for Mr. Räikkönen in 2005 because they could not build a reliable car. In 2003 their new car was so bad that Kimi had to use the previous year's car on his way to second in the WDC.

They are formidable rival, one of the best teams in F1, but sometimes they do snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

CaptainRaiden
20th September 2011, 07:37

The guy that beat Alonso. :p

CaptainRaiden
20th September 2011, 07:38

The guy that Alonso's bank paid 40 million euros for a vacation. :p

555-04Q2
20th September 2011, 11:22
Source: Formula 1 news, results, photos, videos, standings, calendar - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/series/1/formula-1/)

Why would he go to their factory to look at a car? This is surely F1 talk. I don't think Williams can afford Kimi. As a Kimi fan, I'd be happy if he comes back, but hopefully not with Williams!

Maybe he went for a job interview to wash the factory windows :?:

Bezza
20th September 2011, 13:27
Well he's lined up for a drive at Red Bull in 2013, so a year in a Williams for 2012 makes sense seeing as his WRC and NASCAR have not been fruitful.

Mark
20th September 2011, 16:22
Is Kimi part of the Renault engine deal?

seppefan
20th September 2011, 23:45
Williams are the quintessential British team which is unusual in todays market place and I like that and we must not forget their history. Kimi is a character in this world and I like that without forgetting he does not do the team thing. Exciting potentially and yes I would thoroughly enjoy this partnership but I do not see it working. Two hospital patients (for very different reasons ) do not make a winning team. But I would love to be proved wrong.

keysersoze
21st September 2011, 01:05
As has been stated, none of the top three team would even consider putting Raikonnen in one of their cars. But the others would be foolish not to.

Having said that, I don't feel as if Kimi's market value is $20-25 million, like it was during his Ferrari days. It's plummeted, and I'm talking nearly 75%. I'd be willing to wager any mid-level team would bust their butt to get him $5 mil, but no more.

Rollo
21st September 2011, 01:30
As has been stated, none of the top three team would even consider putting Raikonnen in one of their cars. But the others would be foolish not to.

I don't think that they wouldn't consider putting Raikonnen in one of their cars, it's just that they don't need to because they already have adequate drivers, except perhaps Massa who isn't really getting the potential out of the Ferrari.

That's the crux right there. Commitment - he doesn't have it. A top team would not take a chance on a driver that isn't fully committed. Kimi would have to prove that first.

Niki Lauda was disillusioned in 1978 after that prize nutjob Bernie Ecclestone gave him an abysmal car. He said in his book "To Hell and Back": "I didn't want to drive around in circles anymore". Lauda was picked up by McLaren in 1982 after being out of the sport for 4 seasons and he rewarded them with the 1984 World Driver's Championship.

So no, I disagree with the notion that Kimi would have to prove his commitment. He is a racing driver. Stick a decent car under him and like every driver, when the red mist descends, all talk outside the car is irrelevant.

Even as a part-time driver in the WRC he's still coming 8th in the standings, so it's not like he's just swanning about doing nothing.

Koz
21st September 2011, 03:15
I don't think that they wouldn't consider putting Raikonnen in one of their cars, it's just that they don't need to because they already have adequate drivers, except perhaps Massa who isn't really getting the potential out of the Ferrari.
Absolutely.

Niki Lauda was disillusioned in 1978 after that prize nutjob Bernie Ecclestone gave him an abysmal car. He said in his book "To Hell and Back": "I didn't want to drive around in circles anymore". Lauda was picked up by McLaren in 1982 after being out of the sport for 4 seasons and he rewarded them with the 1984 World Driver's Championship.

I think perhaps that times may have changed... In terms of the physical requirements, and the all important practice/testing which you can't have anymore.

And Mike would be a perfect case of a returning hero gone bad.

IEven as a part-time driver in the WRC he's still coming 8th in the standings, so it's not like he's just swanning about doing nothing.

That assumption is not correct at all. He is there because he completed more events than others lower than him in the standings...
And Matthew Wilson, the most untalented git to ever grace the WRC, has out placed him in almost every event.
Being 8th or 9th out of 8 or 9 isn't doing great, it's finishing last.

Rollo
21st September 2011, 05:01
I think perhaps that times may have changed... In terms of the physical requirements, and the all important practice/testing which you can't have anymore.

And Mike would be a perfect case of a returning hero gone bad.

Schumacher was ten years older than Raikkonen is. That probably explains quite a lot.

That assumption is not correct at all. He is there because he completed more events than others lower than him in the standings...
And Matthew Wilson, the most untalented git to ever grace the WRC, has out placed him in almost every event.
Being 8th or 9th out of 8 or 9 isn't doing great, it's finishing last.

Being 8th or 9th out of 8 or 9 might not be doing great, but bear in mind that he's also come from circuit racing and competing against people who been rallying far longer than he. The point is he is there; that is doing something. That isn't an "assumption" it's a statement of fact.

Koz
21st September 2011, 05:55
Schumacher was ten years older than Raikkonen is. That probably explains quite a lot.

Perhaps, or perhaps it has to do with a few years out of the sport. We will never know.
Your hero JV... He spent less than a season away from F1 and was crap against Massa and Heidfeld for the next two years... Was his age to blame, or being away from the sport?
You make the call on that one, bro.

Being 8th or 9th out of 8 or 9 might not be doing great, but bear in mind that he's also come from circuit racing and competing against people who been rallying far longer than he.

The point is he is there; that is doing something. That isn't an "assumption" it's a statement of fact.

That is true to an extent, I don't believe he has actually outpaced anyone so far (ie km/s, ignoring other's misfortunes). But had something similar happened in F1, we would have diced, chooped and cooked the drive in question.

He wasn't there and he/his team were disqualified from the c'ship.

Having said that, I would love nothing more than to have Kimi back in F1.

Rollo
21st September 2011, 06:19
Your hero JV...

:rotflmao:

Mia 01
21st September 2011, 06:59
Here´s another article on the subject.

MSN Auto (http://www.autotoday.fi/page.php?page_id=2&news_id=201107622)

Koz
21st September 2011, 08:20

That is indeed very interesting.

Rumors of Kim's return to F1-amplified (15.09.)

Kimi Raikkonen gave manager, Steve Robertson in the late summer of the mandate of any Formula One team surveying the site and the ones due to contract negotiations Raikkonen left the Australian Rally middle.

Kimi Raikkonen is a Sports Content are according to information received actually visited the Williams F1 factory in Grove, England last week.

Are likely to visit has been associated with Raikkonen and Williams' contract negotiations. F1 1980 - and 90 centuries, and even the 2000s alussakin top stables lukeutunut Williams has in recent years kyntänyt deep.

Williams is the manufacturers' points at the moment until the ninth, but the new organization as well as cooperation agreements with new team aims to raise the bar in 2012.

Räikkönen's publicity value of the Williams would certainly help sponsor the negotiations, but the second thing is the ability of team to pay Räikkönen paid sufficiently well.

Williams' second driver Pastor Maldonado to redeem the team place in the Venezuelan PDVSA oil company with the support, which will continue to support the team next season. PDVSA would also finance the salary Räikkönen, because the company would help it more visibility.

If Raikkonen returns to Formula One, submitting his rally things, at least so far.

This season Raikkonen was trying out the NASCAR series in two different categories, but the continuation of the negotiations have not progressed.

NASCAR at the rally, and Raikkonen will have to pay self-advocacy, but in Formula One and Le Mans Series sports car race he would be driving a hire.

Sports Content

Google Translate.

Robinho
21st September 2011, 08:36
Google translate not so well

Koz
21st September 2011, 08:55

Yes, but it's better than nothing.

Dave B
21st September 2011, 15:20
Like.

:p

janneppi
21st September 2011, 15:32

Roughly translated it suggest that Räikkönen told his manager to take a look what's available in F1, and that due to contract negotiations Kimi didn't attend Rally Australia.

Rest of the article is just basic filling needed to give the article more that two rows of text in it.

First part might be true, but IMO he wasn't going to attend Rally Australia in the first place.

555-04Q2
21st September 2011, 15:37
I love the fact Mia has 'liked' your post even though the quoted English version of the article makes little or no sense whatsoever lol Brilliant.. :laugh:

The article made perfect sense to me. Does that mean I'm crazy :crazy: :p :

Mia 01
21st September 2011, 16:02
I love the fact Mia has 'liked' your post even though the quoted English version of the article makes little or no sense whatsoever lol Brilliant.. :laugh:

I have read a good translation of it on another forum.

And there´s moore. But, as usual most people speculate yet.

Rollo
21st September 2011, 21:23
"If Raikkonen returns to Formula One, submitting his rally things, at least so far."

Kimi: These are my rally things... This is my car; this is my helmet; this is a tree; this is some dirt I found on the road... but wait, I have more rally things... This is a rock; this is a potato. I don't know why I have that rally thing.

DexDexter
21st September 2011, 21:49
Yes, but it's better than nothing.

From Finnish to English it's really not worth anything. As long as the languages are related to one another, it's usable. The only language a computer could adequately translate Finnish into is Estonian.

"If Raikkonen returns to Formula One, submitting his rally things, at least so far."

Kimi: These are my rally things... This is my car; this is my helmet; this is a tree; this is some dirt I found on the road... but wait, I have more rally things... This is a rock; this is a potato. I don't know why I have that rally thing.
:D :D :D

The article btw is just speculation.

donKey jote
21st September 2011, 22:01
The guy that beat Alonso. :p

nah, that was Ron Dennis :p

Oh, you mean the one who was handed a WDC by McLaren ;)

donKey jote
21st September 2011, 22:07
The guy that Alonso's bank paid 40 million euros for a vacation. :p
You mean Santander? Yes, a bit odd to pay him so much. Specially after he had been on vacation already for the previous 2 years. :p

CaptainRaiden
21st September 2011, 23:05
nah, that was Ron Dennis :p

Yes, the conspiracy theory propagated by Alonso that his gullible fans bought. :p

Oh, you mean the one who was handed a WDC by McLaren ;)

By handed, you mean Alonso getting beaten by a rookie, then beating himself, and then narrowly landing second in the championship after the rookie choked before almost winning the title in his first year? :p

CaptainRaiden
21st September 2011, 23:09
You mean Santander? Yes, a bit odd to pay him so much. Specially after he had been on vacation already for the previous 2 years. :p

Winning Spa in the fourth best car during his supposed "vacation" year. Something Alonso still can't do. Tsk tsk. :p

donKey jote
21st September 2011, 23:59
Winning Spa in the fourth best car during his supposed "vacation" year. Something Alonso still can't do. Tsk tsk. :p

Good race.
One race in his two vacation years... is that all you remember? :p

Anyway, I'd actually look forward to his supposed return... it would mean an end to these nostalgia threads and be a good laugh on the forums. :up:
... a laugh at you of course ;) :laugh:

donKey jote
22nd September 2011, 00:06
Y
By handed, you mean Alonso getting beaten by a rookie, then beating himself, and then narrowly landing second in the championship after the rookie choked before almost winning the title in his first year? :p
You could put it that way if you wear your tinted glasses. Had McLaren managed their "situation" a little better either Alonso or the rookie should have had it wrapped up well before the last race, where Kimi did all he had too, for once, AND was lucky enough the rookie choked on his buttons.
Well done to him.
Those were the days eh? :D

CaptainRaiden
22nd September 2011, 07:15
Good race.
One race in his two vacation years... is that all you remember?

At least I remember that! All I remember of Alonso's last two years is him being stuck behind Petrov. :p

Anyway, I'd actually look forward to his supposed return... it would mean an end to these nostalgia threads and be a good laugh on the forums. :up:
... a laugh at you of course ;) :laugh:

Won't do much worse than Schumacher if he comes back. ;)

CaptainRaiden
22nd September 2011, 07:30
You could put it that way if you wear your tinted glasses. Had McLaren managed their "situation" a little better either Alonso or the rookie should have had it wrapped up well before the last race, where Kimi did all he had too, for once, AND was lucky enough the rookie choked on his buttons.
Well done to him.

By tinted glasses, you mean reality? Had Alonso not thrown tantrums like a tit after refusing to accept the fact that the rookie is a better driver, and concentrated on himself better, he would have gone out with some pride. The rookie still would have won though, had he not choked. Kimi won the most races in 2007, so deserved his championship. Luck and ifs and buts and couldas and shouldas can be applied to a lot of championship outcomes, even your hero Alonso's WDC in 2006 against MS. ;)

And I guess Fernando "the self admiring great car developer" left his 6 tenths at Mclaren. OR the 6 tenths vanished like a fart in the air, just like his claim. :laugh:

555-04Q2
22nd September 2011, 11:32
CONFIRMED: Kimi lands window cleaning job at Williams....."I'm looking forward to the challenge and dominating my fellow window cleaners..."

http://www.you-heard-it-here-first.com

DexDexter
22nd September 2011, 14:09
Well done to him.

Had Ferrari "managed" their situation like they do today, Kimi's chances before the last race in 2007 would've been better than they were. Kimi never said "this is ridiculous" and demanded his teammate to move aside. He could have, you know, but he obviously believed in fairness.

I don't understand the dislike many of you have for him. He is probably the fairest top driver in recent F1 history, he never demanded special treatment, never talked bull you know what, hated politics and just wanted to race. Isn't that the perfect F1 driver?

CaptainRaiden
22nd September 2011, 14:09
AND Schumacher lands the janitor job at Mercedes for 2012. Part time second job is cleaning up after Barbie. CONFIRMED - No jokes.

Link here: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/268417/schumacher-is-mercedes-janitor-in-2012/ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

And the official Formula 1 website also confirmed it: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/9/12548.html (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

Knock-on
22nd September 2011, 14:37
Had Ferrari "managed" their situation like they do today, Kimi's chances before the last race in 2007 would've been better than they were. Kimi never said "this is ridiculous" and demanded his teammate to move aside. He could have, you know, but he obviously believed in fairness.

I don't understand the dislike many of you have for him. He is probably the fairest top driver in recent F1 history, he never demanded special treatment, never talked bull you know what, hated politics and just wanted to race. Isn't that the perfect F1 driver?

I don't understand the animosity either. I think Kimi's great; a real breath of fresh air.

Might not be the fastest out there or best at developing a car. Hell, he's not a modern F1 driver and that's what makes him so fun.

Koz
22nd September 2011, 16:03

:(

My hungoverness made me think you were fausto. :(

555-04Q2
22nd September 2011, 16:10
I don't understand the animosity either. I think Kimi's great; a real breath of fresh air.

Might not be the fastest out there or best at developing a car. Hell, he's not a modern F1 driver and that's what makes him so fun.

He has the personality of a 2 by 4.

Robinho
22nd September 2011, 16:43
the Kimi/Williams thing is starting to make some sense. There has been a lot of talk about Red Bull finding Kimi and about him returning to take over from Mark Webber in 2013. Williams now are a Renault Customer, Red Bull no longer own Torro Rosse, albeit seem to still have a financial input through sponsorship i don't know how long that will continue. Williams could benefit from some sort of tie up with what is effectively the new Renault works team (Red Bull receive free engines from Renault for next year, Renault (Lotus, Genii whatever) are a customer team now. I'm not sure how it all fits together but a part Red Bull funded Kimi in a Williams seat next year while RB assess if he's up to a Red Bull seat for 2013 makes sense. It might also see a few parts flowing in the direction of Williams and some input from Williams to the Renault/Red Bull KERS.

I've seen stranger conspiracies....

jens
22nd September 2011, 16:54
There has been a lot of talk about Red Bull finding Kimi and about him returning to take over from Mark Webber in 2013.

Where have you seen that "a lot of talk"? The only talk regarding future Red Bull drivers I have seen so far, is which Red Bull junior drivers could be best prepared to take over from Webber in the future.

Robinho
22nd September 2011, 16:58
not sure where I have seen it, but I think it has been thrown around a few places, at least I'm sure I haven't just made it up. It might go back a while too

donKey jote
22nd September 2011, 17:06
I don't understand the dislike many of you have for him.
Just to clarify: I don't dislike him at all.

I simply don't idolatrise him and, this I must admit, lump many of those who do in the same camp as those who idolatrise(d) JV or MS :)

donKey jote
22nd September 2011, 17:15
By tinted glasses, you mean reality?

The reality is what we both saw, the interpretation is slightly different that's all :p
If I were to dwell in the past like you do, I'd remember that rookie and Alonso were 50-50 tantrumwise, and the Hamiltons threw the first hissy fits -in Monaco. I remember not being happy about Alonso's tantrums and stating often enough here he should simply shut up and drive.
Who cares though, that was years ago.
Hopefully Kimi will return and prove you all right. The more the merrier. :D

jas123f1
22nd September 2011, 18:00
Kimi and Williams, I love it! And, it could very well be true.

He wants to get into the F1 market again I think. Probably he could sign a one year deal with Williams and then hope for a ride with MacLaren or RBR 2013.

:D :up: ... but hurdly true...

driveace
22nd September 2011, 19:52
he probably does not express himself verbally as some other F1 drivers do,but his return would be welcome,and lets see if his years away rallying,have hindered his sabatical from F1.Wish him well !

Big Ben
23rd September 2011, 08:21
One shouldn't assume someone had no personality just because he's not putting on a show whenever in front of cameras. Look at Hammy boy just how much good all that talking has done to him

F1boat
23rd September 2011, 08:28
I am not the biggest fan of Kimi Raikkonen and I can see why some forum members were annoyed by his fanboys (although they are not worse than the fanboys of some other drivers), but actually he was a brilliant driver, had an unorthodox personality and was not participating in any scandals. He is cool and I have very nice memories of him.

Knock-on
23rd September 2011, 10:38
the Kimi/Williams thing is starting to make some sense.

It makes sense without a doubt depending on 1 thing; whether Kimi's in the right mind to return?

IMHO, Kimi could return to a seat at any time if he wants. Question is IF HE wants.

Kimi's last period in F1 was a rushed, shoe-in progression of his career. It was only just 11 years ago he started racing Formula Renault in the UK and after a great year, suddenly found himself catapulted into a Formula 1 car. No wonder he was a bit bemused! He hadn't served enough time in lower formula and was suddenly expected to be the 2nd coming of Mika or Keke.

This sabbatical is akin to a young man sowing his oats after the breakup of his first childhood romance. It may be he decides to come back to F1 and if he does, would be a better,more rounded driver if you ask me. There is a place in F1 but it's up to him if he's ready or has the desire to really apply himself.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2011, 13:24
His public image is plain because he's a private man who has never enjoyed fame and all the trappings that came with being a top driver. He wanted to turn up, drive fast, win the race, and ignore the press. If you see his first press conference when he was at Sauber his voice was trembling he was so nervous and I think that is the guy Kimi is. Its always been known he has a wild side and enjoys having a laugh with his friends, but he's keen to keep that separate to his professional career. We saw hints of this throughout his F1 career and most people realise he's not boring and someoe with zero personality. He's not like most drivers but he was definately the coolest when he was around. I enjoyed his two fingers up to the establishment kind of attitude and loved the fact it didn't go down very well at Ferrari. He was understood better at McLaren because they had had finnish drivers in the past and Ron shared a similar cool exterior to Kimi.

Agree, but he still has the personality of a 2 by 4. Man he made the quietly spoken Mika Hakkinen seem like an outspoken hooligan :laugh:

AndyL
23rd September 2011, 16:16
"On the verge of signing a deal":
Raikkonen poised to return to F1 with Williams- James Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/09/raikkonen-poised-to-return-to-f1-with-williams/)

SGWilko
23rd September 2011, 16:28

Don't you mean

Change language site of the web is good not at being accuracy?

truefan72
23rd September 2011, 16:57
Are Nokia independent, even now? :)

MS is the only friend Nokia has... And MS still extort payments from HTC and Samsung, 15$ per android device, I believe... The Galaxy S2 alone, has sold about 10 million units... That's a few billion right there...

If Nokia makes MS less money than Samsung and HTC, why will they want to lose money to keep Nokia afloat??
Android already dominates the market, by the time Nokia has a Windows device, Ice Cream Sandwich will be out and running on quad-core chips...
Is there any incentive for anyone to move from Android/iOS to Windows?
Nokia can't survive losing several billion this year when it has nothing to offer...

Have you had a look at the Nokia 5-6-700 range?
I think Nokia have a massive disaster on their hands.

In the words of Uncle Flavio: Time will tell. :)

Edit: Nokia's best hope is if MS buys out NVIDIA for them. TI and Qualcomm will be more than happy to fill NVIDIA's gap. :)

Android is a Google software not Microsoft

jens
23rd September 2011, 18:32
If James Allen reports this, then it must have some credibility. It looks like the story might come true. Just like Schumi's comeback 2 years ago. Came seemingly out of nowhere, initially seemed unbelievable, then started making sense.

His public image is plain because he's a private man who has never enjoyed fame and all the trappings that came with being a top driver. He wanted to turn up, drive fast, win the race, and ignore the press. If you see his first press conference when he was at Sauber his voice was trembling he was so nervous and I think that is the guy Kimi is. Its always been known he has a wild side and enjoys having a laugh with his friends, but he's keen to keep that separate to his professional career. We saw hints of this throughout his F1 career and most people realise he's not boring and someoe with zero personality. He's not like most drivers but he was definately the coolest when he was around. I enjoyed his two fingers up to the establishment kind of attitude and loved the fact it didn't go down very well at Ferrari. He was understood better at McLaren because they had had finnish drivers in the past and Ron shared a similar cool exterior to Kimi.

As for the personality discussion, I have always found Kimi too unpleasantly cold to my liking. And to be honest, I wouldn't describe it as a "Finnish thing", because I like other guys like Häkkinen, Salo, Lehto, Kovalainen, etc, who look genuinely open and approachable. Can't say the same about Kimi. He may not like the media-side of F1, but... in life everything is about adapting and one has to adapt to all kinds of situations, while you are at it. :) He must have made a decision to become a professional racing driver with knowledge, what does it all really involve.

But in any case I have to say that Räikkönen at Williams is an interesting prospect from racing point of view. And also a really good benchmark for Mr Maldonado.

kfzmeister
23rd September 2011, 18:32
The Iceman's back!!!!!
I'm getting goosebumps just thinkin about Kimi's return!!

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 00:35
Kimi is probably the most talent driver in F1 ever! Fans of and other driver on the grid fear him, even in a midfield or lower capable car he wll deliver. Give him wheels and he will always be a there.

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 01:09
And even so, if the car is crap, he will be up there. Noone is faster than him. OK Seb, prove it.

N. Jones
24th September 2011, 02:06
While it would be great to see the Kimster back in F1, the fact that:

1) Williams are NOT a top team, regardless of what engine they have
2) Kimi is NOT interested in any technical discussion of the car
3) Williams have never held drivers in high regard

I cannot see this partnership lasting 6 months let alone a full season.

kfzmeister
24th September 2011, 03:33
I just hope you're wrong about all that!

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 06:40
And one moore, a year ago or so I supposed Kimi at Williams. We will see.

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 06:55
And anoter one. Still fans of other driver fear him, why is it so?

donKey jote
24th September 2011, 09:14
:dozey:

DexDexter
24th September 2011, 10:51
Kimi, Renault-engines and Mike Coughlan would appear to be a very positive development for Williams for next year but let's be realistic: They don't have enough money, Kimi's been away for two years, so has Coughlan (a lot longer?) so in reality things are not going to change drastically, one just doesn't close the cap to the top teams that quickly, especially with limited resources.

Big Ben
24th September 2011, 10:58
Fans of and other driver on the grid fear him.

And anoter one. Still fans of other driver fear him, why is it so?

Another one? Are you sure? looks pretty much the same to me. someone started celebrating early

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 11:53
Yes, even in a"crap"car he will win at Spa next year if he is driving. In some sence, he´s not human, and I accept that.

But ofcourse, I love him!

Koz
24th September 2011, 14:05
Android is a Google software not Microsoft

When did I say/imply it was?

Knock-on
24th September 2011, 21:27
Yes, even in a"crap"car he will win at Spa next year if he is driving. In some sence, he´s not human, and I accept that.

But ofcourse, I love him!

Mia darling. Lay off the Prozac tablets. Think you've taken too many

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 14:12
My main reservation about this idea of a comeback is that he's doing it for the wrong reasons. Clearly the WRC hasn't gone well for him — his effective disqualification from the championship was a clear sign of this, and the manner of his retirement from the Rallye de France today just seems to confirm that his mind is on other things. He seems to have just given up on rallying. What else (DTM aside, perhaps) could he do except F1?

Koz
30th September 2011, 15:54
My main reservation about this idea of a comeback is that he's doing it for the wrong reasons. Clearly the WRC hasn't gone well for him — his effective disqualification from the championship was a clear sign of this, and the manner of his retirement from the Rallye de France today just seems to confirm that his mind is on other things. He seems to have just given up on rallying. What else (DTM aside, perhaps) could he do except F1?

I agree it's very disturbing that he just packed up and left...
He won't do well with Williams at all, unless he has a massive attitude shift.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 15:59
I agree it's very disturbing that he just packed up and left...

I think it would almost have been better if he had packed up and left, rather than carrying on and apparently causing a bizarre incident as he did today.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 16:06
2) Kimi is NOT interested in any technical discussion of the car

You know that based on what?

I think it would almost have been better if he had packed up and left, rather than carrying on and apparently causing a bizarre incident as he did today.
Which apparently Solberg caused, not KR. Let`s try to engage our brains for a second here.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 16:10
Which apparently Solberg caused, not KR.

According to whom?

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 16:12
Kimi Raikkonen says his Rally of France road section shunt was a 'stupid accident' - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94939)

Kimi said Henning got straight out of the car and apologised, saying he hadn't seen him at all," continued Nogier

Now, where is your "proof" that KR caused the accident?

Koz
30th September 2011, 16:16
Which apparently Solberg caused, not KR. Let`s try to engage our brains for a second here.

But why did he quit when the damage was repairable??
This is akin to him parking up if the Williams is slow and no has no chance to make it to the top 10 (or even the podium)...
He did this a few years ago in a Ferrari didn't he to go and watch his friend in some hockey match, didn't he??

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 16:17
Kimi Raikkonen says his Rally of France road section shunt was a 'stupid accident' - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94939)

Now, where is your "proof" that KR caused the accident?

Why the aggression? I did say 'apparently', after all. A previous report from the very same source suggested it.

'Solberg, who was less than a mile from the start of the stage when the crash happened, said: "I was just driving in a straight line on a straight road. I wasn't weaving to warm up the tyre or anything like that, just driving.

"I felt the hit from the back of the car, but it was soft, not a big impact or anything. When I looked in the mirror I saw Raikkonen flying off and into the ditch. I don't know what happened."

Raikkonen was unable to retrieve his Citroen from the ditch and retired on the spot.

Solberg's co-driver Ilka Minor added: "It was really strange. I was just fastening the belts for the start of the stage when they hit us. I think maybe he lost concentration for a millisecond or something like that."'

But I think my view as to Raikkonen's current attitude still stands, as exemplified by his decision not to restart the rally. His team boss Nogier was quoted as saying: 'It's over, Kimi has gone [home]. The damage was not so bad, but he preferred to stop. That's it. This is very disappointing."'

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 16:23
But why did he quit when the damage was repairable??
This is akin to him parking up if the Williams is slow and no has no chance to make it to the top 10 (or even the podium)...
He did this a few years ago in a Ferrari didn't he to go and watch his friend in some hockey match, didn't he??

I am sure you will find proof of that last claim LOL.

You know how much a KM costs in a WRC car? This year, if I am not mistaken, KR has funded his rallies quite a lot by himself. So when he is clearly out of the points, there is zero reason to continue. Zero.

Why the aggression? I did say 'apparently', after all. A previous report from the very same source suggested it.I said apparently as well, so where exactly have you detected aggression?

'Solberg, who was less than a mile from the start of the stage when the crash happened, said: "I was just driving in a straight line on a straight road. I wasn't weaving to warm up the tyre or anything like that, just driving.

"I felt the hit from the back of the car, but it was soft, not a big impact or anything. When I looked in the mirror I saw Raikkonen flying off and into the ditch. I don't know what happened."

Raikkonen was unable to retrieve his Citroen from the ditch and retired on the spot.

Solberg's co-driver Ilka Minor added: "It was really strange. I was just fastening the belts for the start of the stage when they hit us. I think maybe he lost concentration for a millisecond or something like that."'

What is your view on Loeb not continuing? Lack of motivation? Or perhaps other good reasons?

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 16:25
I said apparently as well, so where exactly have you detected aggression?

Where you seemed to suggest I had 'proof' (the word you used) of what had happened. Anyway, let's not get bogged down in that.

What is your view on Loeb not continuing? Lack of motivation? Or perhaps other good reasons?

Raikkonen, you mean?

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 16:40
Raikkonen, you mean?
Loeb, I mean.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 17:12
Loeb, I mean.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Raikkonen's decision not to continue on the Rallye de France, which — although no-one but the man himself can be sure — seems to me like a clear case of not being motivated to continue.

Loeb — don't know at all, I'm afraid.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:18
Sorry, I thought you were referring to Raikkonen's decision not to continue on the Rallye de France, which — although no-one but the man himself can be sure — seems to me like a clear case of not being motivated to continue.
I brought up the point of financial reality.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 17:20
I brought up the point of financial reality.

In what sense?

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:28
In what sense?

?
Considering what I know of this season from KR`s point of view, he himself has financed his rallying quite a bit, everything isn`t sponsor-paid.
Every KM in a rally car of that level costs a huge amount of money
He was out of running for points.

Put things together and his decision not to continue seems very logical.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 17:32
?
Considering what I know of this season from KR`s point of view, he himself has financed his rallying quite a bit, everything isn`t sponsor-paid.
Every KM in a rally car of that level costs a huge amount of money
He was out of running for points.

Put things together and his decision not to continue seems very logical.

Ah, I see what you mean. It may be a fair point, but even so, either he wants to compete or he doesn't. And it's not as if his WRC effort is as strapped for cash as are other privateer motorsport efforts around the world, many of whom do great things to fix cars far more damaged than one that, according to his team boss, had damage that 'was not so bad'.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:38
Ah, I see what you mean. It may be a fair point, but even so, either he wants to compete or he doesn't. And it's not as if his WRC effort is as strapped for cash as are other privateer motorsport efforts around the world, many of whom do great things to fix cars far more damaged than one that, according to his team boss, had damage that 'was not so bad'.
The question was not about the damage, but rather that he wasnt going to get anywhere in this rally.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 17:45
The question was not about the damage, but rather that he wasnt going to get anywhere in this rally.

In which case, his lack of desire to actually compete is very much to the fore.

Garry Walker
30th September 2011, 17:48
In which case, his lack of desire to actually compete is very much to the fore.

When considering the financial effects, not at all.

Tumbo
30th September 2011, 18:09
When considering the financial effects, not at all.

Garry you are plainly right and anyone trying to argue about Kimi 'lacking motivation' in the WRC and then pushing that line into how he might approach F1 clearly has NO understanding of KR's wrc entry, his team, the cost involved, the fact that the team was fined and removed from the team's championship for not coming to Australia (due to the costs involved) and is just trying to draw the thinest line to make a point

Koz
30th September 2011, 18:14
I am sure you will find proof of that last claim LOL.
It has been mentioned on the forum numerous times, I will find a link for ya.

You know how much a KM costs in a WRC car? This year, if I am not mistaken, KR has funded his rallies quite a lot by himself. So when he is clearly out of the points, there is zero reason to continue. Zero.

Your logic is illogical.
It would have cost him a great deal to get to the rally, compared to that fixing the car would have been next to nothing.
He may have ZERO reasons to continue... So what you are saying is... all that money, hundreds of thousands of Euros, spent to get to the rally wasted for less than 10 minutes?
Yeah, no point continuing.

You mention points, but it's not like points matter to him seeing as he already got his team disqualified...

By your logic, because the bottom 3 teams in F1 have no hope to make it to the points they shouldn't coming to the race at all?

You mentioned Loeb, Citroen is apparently working to repair the engine and restart tomorrow.

BDunnell
30th September 2011, 18:18
Garry you are plainly right and anyone trying to argue about Kimi 'lacking motivation' in the WRC and then pushing that line into how he might approach F1 clearly has NO understanding of KR's wrc entry, his team, the cost involved, the fact that the team was fined and removed from the team's championship for not coming to Australia (due to the costs involved) and is just trying to draw the thinest line to make a point

Point taken, and well made.

But, even so, would you not agree that he would have been fully aware of the costs involved? And I cannot help but point out again that in major motorsport championships the world over one will find privateer teams who carry on in the face of significant costs because they want to be there, to compete and, just perhaps, be in with a shot at success. I'm unsure as to why the example of Raikkonen is so different from any of these.

Koz
30th September 2011, 18:22

Then why would he even bother entering WRC events?
I mean, it would be cheaper to stay home wouldn't it?
Why bother turning up for less than 10 minutes, if you a) can't afford it or b) can't be bothered to continue if there is an incident, which his "team boss" said wasn't a such big issue??

Mia 01
30th September 2011, 21:23
I´m sure it´s not in the bashers hand if Kimi returns to F1 or not.

If Kimi wants to, he will be back.

donKey jote
1st October 2011, 14:11
sure he will... as a paydriver at least ! :p

DexDexter
1st October 2011, 16:48
sure he will... as a paydriver at least ! :p

I know some pretty good paydrivers, somebody called Fernando comes to mind ;)

donKey jote
1st October 2011, 17:34
:laugh: :up:

There's a difference between paying for a seat in Ferrari and paying for a seat in Williams though :p

janneppi
1st October 2011, 20:40
Yeah, paying for a Ferrari seat is rather more expensive. :p

To be honest, I'd rather see Bottas in a Williams car than Räikkönen. We need new Finn on the grid.

F1boat
2nd October 2011, 09:28
What do you think, if Kimi returns, will he do well or not?

DexDexter
2nd October 2011, 12:54

It's really not down to Kimi, it's down to Williams building a quick car which is really not on the horizon. So no, he won't do well.

donKey jote
2nd October 2011, 13:34
Or maybe, just maybe... this factory visit is mostly about Frank playing games to get his current paydriver's sponsors to cough up some more money :)

Koz
2nd October 2011, 17:53
It's really not down to Kimi, it's down to Williams building a quick car which is really not on the horizon. So no, he won't do well.

Or maybe, just maybe... this factory visit is mostly about Frank playing games to get his current paydriver's sponsors to cough up some more money :)

Absolutely.

jens
2nd October 2011, 18:57

He would be merely 32 years old next year, so I don't see, why he shouldn't be able get back to his best form again after settling in.

It would be comparable to Niki Lauda's comeback (33yrs old after 2.5-year break) and the Austrian became a WDC again. Although perhaps he wasn't as spectacular as he had been during his first career, struggling against team-mate John Watson in 82-83, the same man, who he had managed to beat as a team-mate in 78 in Brabham.