PDA

View Full Version : Return to Belle Isle?????

Wilf
16th September 2011, 02:01
It looks like it:

Detroit Grand Prix could return in 2012 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110915/SPORTS16/110915048/Detroit-Grand-Prix-could-return-2012)

An application has been made to the Detroit City Council for the race to be held June 1-3, 2012.

Bud Denker, chairman of the Detroit Grand Prix Association, said today he hopes the application will go before the council for approval next week.

Has the economy made a quick comeback in Michigan or is Chevy being hit up to pick up the tab?

NickFalzone
16th September 2011, 02:20
Decent size fanbase for IndyCar there, but the race always sucked. If they reworked the course, maybe it would be worth visiting again.

SarahFan
16th September 2011, 02:39
China Detroit Fontana and a second in brazil ....makes ya wonder what's not coming back

NickFalzone
16th September 2011, 03:18
China Detroit Fontana and a second in brazil ....makes ya wonder what's not coming back

IMS...?

Oh wait, I thought we were talking about CART.

DBell
16th September 2011, 03:45
Seriously? They are going back to that crap hole of a track? They sure have a knack of going to road courses where they will be assured of virtually no passing. Barber, Sonoma, Mid Ohio and now this place. :dozey: Detroit has never been good racing and it won't be any better now. Oh well, everybody loves a parade, right?

It's got to be Penske and Chevy driving this, Wilf. No other reason in the world to go there otherwise. If they are going to copy CART, why do they have to copy the worst of CART?

The beginning of the year I said I thought Randy had a good first year and hoped he had an even better second one. He hasn't.

SoCalPVguy
16th September 2011, 04:00
I cannot think of a worse idea for ICS. Detroit is a decayed urban failure that has high crime, high unemployment, high government corruption, heck- they're bulldozing acres or empty buildings back to pastures to cut the blight. Nobody in Detroit would be able to afford a ticked and nobody but nobody will travel to Detroit as a "destination" for a weekend getaway at the races, it has none of the charm or attraction of Baltimore for example... If it wasn't for "Hardcore pawn" I would have though Detoit disappeared years ago ...

00steven
16th September 2011, 19:51
It appears Street courses are going to make up 50% of the schedule. I love most street courses, but I live in Michigan and still don't think that Belle Isle needs a date.

Mark in Oshawa
20th September 2011, 08:30
I am 4 hours and change up the road and I never felt the urge to go down and watch the Indycars on Belle Isle. The old Street course that F1 used had more cachet for me.....

If they took out some of the stupid turns that cause the follow the leader effect, MAYBE the racing would be different....

Mark Pedersen
20th September 2011, 21:51
the problem is that as good as the racing is on ovals - you can't pay the bills when only 15,000 people turn up (1/2 of which are there because they were given free tickets). like it or not, a street race will attract a crowd + corporate boxes. you might not like it but its a fact.

China/Brazil are/will be there because of money, but hey - there is nothing wrong with the Brazil race (track is good, USAtime zone, crowd is very good and it makes lots of money).

SoCalPVguy
8th October 2011, 16:08
Now a FACT !!!

How can indycar succeed when they keep making all the wrong moves ???

I cannot think of a worse idea for ICS. Detroit is a decayed urban failure that has high crime, high unemployment, high government corruption, heck- they're bulldozing acres or empty buildings back to pastures to cut the blight. Nobody in Detroit would be able to afford a ticket and nobody but nobody will travel to Detroit as a "destination" for a weekend getaway at the races, it has none of the charm or attraction of Baltimore for example... If it wasn't for "Hardcore pawn" I would have though Detroit disappeared years ago ...

anthonyvop
9th October 2011, 03:07
Now a FACT !!!

I cannot think of a worse idea for ICS. Detroit is a decayed urban failure that has high crime, high unemployment, high government corruption, heck- they're bulldozing acres or empty buildings back to pastures to cut the blight. Nobody in Detroit would be able to afford a ticket and nobody but nobody will travel to Detroit as a "destination" for a weekend getaway at the races, it has none of the charm or attraction of Baltimore for example... If it wasn't for "Hardcore pawn" I would have though Detroit disappeared years ago ...

Don't worry.....GM will use our money to promote it and give away tickets to their UAW moochers.

ykiki
9th October 2011, 06:57
Don't worry.....GM will use our money to promote it and give away tickets to their UAW moochers.

How much does GM have left to repay?

Dr. Krogshöj
9th October 2011, 09:16
It would be great if they used the 1998-2001 layout with the long straight after Turn 2. Looking at Google Earth, it seems that one section of that layout is covered by grass. On the other hand, there is a road a couple of yards further back they could utilise. Unfortunately, there is a statue in the middle of what could be Turn 3. Is moving a statue such a big price to see at least one overtaking move?

Chris R
9th October 2011, 12:41
Now a FACT !!!

This is the question I keep asking myself.....

anthonyvop
9th October 2011, 14:24
How much does GM have left to repay?

HAVE left? Nothing. The Government own about 60% (But Non-Controlling Shares) of GM. To break even, the U.S. Treasury would need to sell its remaining stake—about 500 million shares—at $53 apiece. GM closed at $22.01 in 4 p.m. trading Friday on the New York Stock Exchange,

nigelred5
11th October 2011, 14:02

Don't get me started! They're trying to go right back to what killed the company in the first place.!! :mad:

garyshell
12th October 2011, 18:09
IndyCar Series Returning to Detroit

Oct 12, 11:57 AM (ET)
DETROIT (AP) - Open-wheel racing is returning to the Motor City.

General Motors and IndyCar Series officials announced Wednesday that the series will run at Detroit's Belle Isle Park on June 3, 2012. The series last ran a championship event there in September 2008.

GM's Chevrolet division will sponsor the race and the automaker unveiled a new twin-turbo V6 engine that will power teams fielded by Penkse Racing, Panther Racing and Andretti Autosport.

The Grand-Am, Cadillac V and Indy Light series also will be on the weekend card at the 2.1-mile road course.

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said the new Detroit event will replace the series' stop at Milwaukee.

My Way - Sports News (http://sports.myway.com/news/10122011/v6482.html)

It's offical.

Gary

MAX_THRUST
12th October 2011, 19:00
Agree the 1998 - 2001 layout was great, that extra straight with the 90 degree right hander lent itself to overtaking and collisions. Guess if you lenghten the track though less for the fans on site to see. Mind you the football team is doing well in Detroit so I guess Indy Cars wants to be associated with a winning city even if they are atruggling economically. So give free tickets to those who can't afford them and maybe stir up some interest....

nigelred5
12th October 2011, 20:25
They definitely need to go back to a course configuration with at least one passing zone. Can they put that statue on wheels? Interesting to see Grand Am this year and then ALMS is claiming 2013 is still a possibility when there is no anticipated conflict with LeMans preps. I have to say, as ugly as the GA DP's are, they usually put on a good show and have a lot of engine manufacturers involved. I haven't seen one of their new spec. DP's yet.

FormerFF
14th October 2011, 02:26
. I have to say, as ugly as the GA DP's are, they usually put on a good show and have a lot of engine manufacturers involved. I haven't seen one of their new spec. DP's yet.

Nobody else has, either.

call_me_andrew
14th October 2011, 03:48
HAVE left? Nothing. The Government own about 60% (But Non-Controlling Shares) of GM. To break even, the U.S. Treasury would need to sell its remaining stake—about 500 million shares—at $53 apiece. GM closed at $22.01 in 4 p.m. trading Friday on the New York Stock Exchange,

GM Profitable in All Regional Units: CEO - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-27/gm-profitable-in-all-regional-units-ceo.html)

Do you know what profitable companies pay their shareholders? Dividends!

anthonyvop
14th October 2011, 18:14
GM Profitable in All Regional Units: CEO - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-27/gm-profitable-in-all-regional-units-ceo.html)

Do you know what profitable companies pay their shareholders? Dividends!

Yea? Where is my Dividend Check? Even if they did cut a dividend Check it would still pale in comparison to the loss we took on the IPO.

How did our investment in Government Motors turn out? We'll lose $14,701,918,467.60: http://www.bailoutcost.com/ (http://www.bailoutcost.com/)

call_me_andrew
15th October 2011, 03:01
Oh thank heavens! You've found a website that exists for the sole purpose of mocking the bailout. That must be the best source of impartial information!

I guess I need not point out that in the comming decades GM, its employees, its customers, and anyone buying or selling anything that has to do with their products will generate more than 14 billion in tax revenue.

I'm so sorry that I have mistaken you for someone who sees the big picture.

anthonyvop
15th October 2011, 04:26
Oh thank heavens! You've found a website that exists for the sole purpose of mocking the bailout. That must be the best source of impartial information!

I guess I need not point out that in the comming decades GM, its employees, its customers, and anyone buying or selling anything that has to do with their products will generate more than 14 billion in tax revenue.

I'm so sorry that I have mistaken you for someone who sees the big picture.

Lets just agree that you are in favor of taking my money and giving it to poorly run businesses and I am not!

BTW
Before you come back with the typical reply I am against subsidies and tax breaks to all private entities......Including the oil companies, G.E., Banks....etc.