PDA

View Full Version : Are people really this dumb?

Daniel
15th September 2011, 16:22
Are people really this stupid?????

Who here didn't know that display until was to do with stock control and not whether something is fit to eat or not?

BBC News - Sell-by dates 'should be removed' say ministers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14926427)

Mark in Oshawa
15th September 2011, 16:28
They do use it to sell more product, but god forbid you buy something with no best before date and get food poisoning and sue them. The Best before date is conservative...and you need to heed or not heed it at your peril but it DOES need to be there...

Daniel
15th September 2011, 16:33
They do use it to sell more product, but god forbid you buy something with no best before date and get food poisoning and sue them. The Best before date is conservative...and you need to heed or not heed it at your peril but it DOES need to be there...

Nothing wrong with having a best before date. But what the government is talking about outlawing is "Sell before" and "display until" dates which are used by shops for stock control so that the product has a reasonable shelflife when the customer takes it home.

Maybe it's just me, when I see used by, best before, display until and sell before dates I used my brain and wondered what they meant.....

slinkster
15th September 2011, 19:52
The answer to your question is yeah... some people ARE that dumb!

Dave B
15th September 2011, 20:13
Does this mean an end to the sight of rancid old biddies fighting over the reduced veg in Asda?

Daniel
16th September 2011, 11:30
Best before dates are useful when buying food as you tend to sift around the shelf looking for a product with a better date. They can't get rid of the 'Use by' label as it only applies to high risk foods like fish, and meat etc. Best before lables just make it easier for the customer to make a choice how fresh they want their produce and I don't support taking that away.

The problem is that stuff is often fine for quite a while after the best before date yet some ignorant people treat it as a use by date and think that it must be unsafe. Perhaps a more sensible idea would be a "picked on" date for vegetables for instance so you can still see which product is fresher than the other, but the final decision as to whether it's still good to eat is up to you.

Daniel
16th September 2011, 11:31
Does this mean an end to the sight of rancid old biddies fighting over the reduced veg in Asda?

I used to love seeing that when I worked in a supermarket in Australia. There's just something fun about seeing supposedly civilised people acting like animals over veges or fruit that is past its best and starting to go soft.

Eki
16th September 2011, 19:08
Yes

ioan
16th September 2011, 21:07
I've seen worse, much worse.

Andrewmcm
17th September 2011, 01:04
It's all relative. If you're clever then most of the population are stupid in comparison. If you're as thick as the proverbial then most people seem like geniuses.

tfp
17th September 2011, 02:06

Who here didn't know that display until was to do with stock control and not whether something is fit to eat or not?

BBC News - Sell-by dates 'should be removed' say ministers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14926427)

Another example of the british ministers making a massive fuss over nothing!

Bolton Midnight
27th September 2011, 00:00

Oh yes, and they can't think for themselves so need Nanny State to protect them against the nasty things.