PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Lagge...

FIAT1
12th September 2011, 20:51
.. has nice introductory comercial on speed chanel. I was at RA when she lost a wing and crashed. Good to see her back in states as she is good people and talented racer.

NickFalzone
13th September 2011, 02:34
Kinda off-topic, but watching the NASCAR race at Richmond I saw Helio prominently in a Sunoco commercial that was repeated several times during the race.

nigelred5
13th September 2011, 12:27
I saw that and was kind of suprized considering Helio is sponsored by Shell but they are the official supplier of racing ethanol to Indycar and Race fuel to NASCAR. Sunoco is making a lot of changes to how they do business and what energy businesses they are in. I have a good friend that works for Sunoco in Philly. I can't believe the are actually getting totally out of the petroleum refining business.

I had read a few reports that KL had been trying to land a ride in the states again. Maybe once DP is out of indycars someone will be looking for another XX for the series.

FIAT1
12th December 2011, 19:28
Autoweek is reporting that she has sponsor and will be on the grid in 2012.

heliocastroneves#3
12th December 2011, 20:01
Seeing is believing. =)

SoCalPVguy
12th December 2011, 22:58
And it is spelled "LEgge" - big fan of her are you ?

elan 02
13th December 2011, 02:44
Yes big fan, I was there for her two west coast wins in FA, LB and SJ. She has a very pleasent manor and is very fast on track. She is a gal race fans can pull for. She could put DP in her mirrors.

FIAT1
13th December 2011, 13:45

Thanks, my bad. Yes, I'm a fan of her great demeanour. Hope she will have great year racing.

heliocastroneves#3
13th December 2011, 16:03
Of course she's better then DP. Her disappointing time in DTM was due worse equipment, and not due lack of talent, because in 2006 it became clear she is having plenty of talent.

nigelred5
14th December 2011, 12:49
True. Her Audi was no where near the same spec as the factory Audi teams. She was running at least two year old equipment in DTM most of the time.

DanicaFan
14th December 2011, 17:20
Sorry guys, she wont come close to what Danica achieved in Indycar, if she races. Danica is the best female race car driver ever and that will ever be.

Chris R
14th December 2011, 17:34
Sorry guys, she wont come close to what Danica achieved in Indycar, if she races. Danica is the best female race car driver ever and that will ever be.

depends on the team she signs with......

I would hope that one day we'll have a female Indycar champion and even F-1 champion - Danica deserves lots of kudos for really breaking the "glass ceiling" so to speak - but I doubt she is the best that there will EVER be - at least I hope not - that would not say much for the development of female race drivers or for the value of what she has accomplished.....

mike15
14th December 2011, 17:55
Danica has been with good teams who's drivers won more and where always higher on the grid that her for most races. If I were to put Danica and Katherine on the same team, Katherine would be the shinning star and Danica would continue to place blame on everyone but Danica.

heliocastroneves#3
14th December 2011, 18:10
On road courses even Simona is already better then DP. But then I still don't get it how Danica managed to get to the front row twice at Mid-Ohio and Sonoma. She never was that bad on road/street courses, but since last year she wasn't having the pace on those courses anymore. I know MAYBE why: It's called NASCAR.

FIAT1
14th December 2011, 18:36
CL was racing much more challenging race cars on much more challenging tracks to date. DP was in good team driving cars where talent is not required and with help of yellow flags she managed to finish races. Road and street tracks she was nothing. She is where she should be, in the series for Sunday go oround in 2nd gear with top ten finish and bikini comercial and she will have a great day.Comparison to Katherine is foolish at this time. My opinion.

bzcam
14th December 2011, 19:43
Word on another forum is that she will sign with D&RR for a full season and will get the the #2 car.

Welcome back Kat!

BZ

00steven
15th December 2011, 12:26

What did Danica achieve exactly?

DBell
15th December 2011, 13:22
I hope Kat gets another chance. She did a respectable job in Champ Car considering the equipment she had. It would be interesting to see how she does.

On road courses even Simona is already better then DP. But then I still don't get it how Danica managed to get to the front row twice at Mid-Ohio and Sonoma. She never was that bad on road/street courses, but since last year she wasn't having the pace on those courses anymore. I know MAYBE why: It's called NASCAR.

I believe Danica's front row starts happened because, A) It was before the CC/IRL merge and the competition level was much less than it has been after the merge, and B) she was allowed to use power steering that no one else was allowed to use, giving her a big advantage.

heliocastroneves#3
15th December 2011, 14:09
I never knew about the fact that she used power steering honestly. And it doesn't matter it was before the CCWS/IRL merge, because in 2009 she was still "pretty good" on the road courses (well, qualifying 7th at Watkins Glen is not really bad), but since last year.... Indeed, since she began doing NASCAR part time it became worse. Also we have to mention that except Iowa, her oval qualifying performance has been bad as well, while in 2008 she was able to drive to the front row and in 2009 she was sometimes in the top 3 on an oval if I'm right.

The competition is better since the merge with CCWS, but even after the CCWS/IRL merge it are the same teams which are driving up front. Some of those former CCWS teams are doing a pretty good job right now.. But they can't beat Penske and Ganassi (and Andretti Autosport, because they won 3 races), so I won't say that the competition level has become that higher since the CCWS teams joined the IRL. It certainly has improved, and it made the starting grid a bit bigger, but I won't say they can beat Penske, Ganassi and Andretti Autosport, who already were in the IRL for quite a while.

Something important is that Katherine Legge is the real deal, because even in ChampCar she wasn't having the best equipment, but still managed to drive to the top 10 sometimes. Especially in 2006 she was doing a good job. She finished sixth at Milwaukee I believe in 2006, so she might be doing a good job on the ovals as well.

beachbum
15th December 2011, 16:44
Just kinda wondering how a KL thread became a DP thread.
One fan who can't accept DP isn't the greatest of all time.

We can only hope Danimania is now just NASCAR's problem.

DBell
15th December 2011, 17:12
I never knew about the fact that she used power steering honestly. And it doesn't matter it was before the CCWS/IRL merge, because in 2009 she was still "pretty good" on the road courses (well, qualifying 7th at Watkins Glen is not really bad), but since last year.... Indeed, since she began doing NASCAR part time it became worse. Also we have to mention that except Iowa, her oval qualifying performance has been bad as well, while in 2008 she was able to drive to the front row and in 2009 she was sometimes in the top 3 on an oval if I'm right.

The competition is better since the merge with CCWS, but even after the CCWS/IRL merge it are the same teams which are driving up front. Some of those former CCWS teams are doing a pretty good job right now.. But they can't beat Penske and Ganassi (and Andretti Autosport, because they won 3 races), so I won't say that the competition level has become that higher since the CCWS teams joined the IRL. It certainly has improved, and it made the starting grid a bit bigger, but I won't say they can beat Penske, Ganassi and Andretti Autosport, who already were in the IRL for quite a while.

Something important is that Katherine Legge is the real deal, because even in ChampCar she wasn't having the best equipment, but still managed to drive to the top 10 sometimes. Especially in 2006 she was doing a good job. She finished sixth at Milwaukee I believe in 2006, so she might be doing a good job on the ovals as well.

First off, I agree about Legge. I'd like to see how good she is and get a chance in IndyCar.

In regards to the competition level, I wasn't talking about the quality of teams, but rather the depth of talent in drivers going up overall, especially ones who are good at road and street courses. Guys like Power,Wilson, Rahal, etc, have made top 10 qualifying spots on the twisty's harder to come by than before the merge.

About a year ago, I guess I had some free time and looked up Danica's career starting positions on road and street courses through 2010. I got the stats from IndyCar's web site. I still have it on my PC so I'll pass it along.

Average from 2005-2007, before merge, 11 races total is 11.4 with 2 top 10 starts. She had the 2nd starting spots at both Mid-Ohio and Sears Point in 2007 using the experimental power steering that would become standard the next year. Also keep in mind the fields were smaller during some of this time, often 20 or less cars in the field. Throw out the 2 starting spots she had with the power steering advantage and the average is 13.4.

Average from 2008-2010 post merge, 22 races is 16.0 with 2 top 10 starts, 9th at Sears Point in '08 and 7th at the Glen in '09. She also had 9 starts 20th or worse in this period. She had 0 starts 20th or worse from '05 through '07.

Looking up 2011, the average for her last season is 21.7 in 10 races. Only 2 starts, a 17th and a 19th, were better than 20th or worse last year.

I think most fans would agree that last year was the deepest field of drivers that IndyCar has had since Danica started in 2005. So it's my feeling that Danica didn't get worse at road and street races, but kept dropping down the order as the depth of fields got stronger over the last few years.

MAX_THRUST
15th December 2011, 18:37
She won the Japan Race as no one else really good was there. Not quite true I know, but it was good for the series for her to win a race, and I believe she did get some help to do well or better. ie power steering. I don't mind that shes gone, and It would be great to have Legge in.

SoCalPVguy
16th December 2011, 02:48

Go take you thread hijack to the nascar board... otherwise comment on Legge only

Jag_Warrior
21st December 2011, 18:27
Much like Simona, Katherine seemed more about being a race car driver than a pinup model, or using her gender as an excuse or basis for her successes or failures. For that reason, I think that both she and Simona (and Sarah Fisher) are good role models... for girls and boys.

I'd welcome her return. That's what this series needs to attract more "real" fans: more actual racers and fewer reality TV type people posing as racers.

Anubis
22nd December 2011, 18:42

Depending on how exactly you wish to define "race car", I'd suggest Shirley Muldowney, Angelle Sampey and Michèle Mouton eclipse Danica's efforts by some considerable margin.

With regards Kat Legge, anyone who can step out of that crash at Road America and be jokingly asking for a cup of tea shortly after has the sort of attitude I want to see in racing and I think it would be good to see her back in the series in some capacity.

mike15
27th December 2011, 20:53
Good for Kat. I was kick off another site because I supported her getting a seat in 2012. I also supported the changes in 2012 though not to crazy about the Dallara relationship I also liked the notion of changing the name to IndyCar. Yes there are things I miss about CART and Champ Car but slowly improvements are being made. Now that Barnhart is gone and turbo charged engines are back there is more reason to believe that open wheel is heading in a better direction.

mike15
12th January 2012, 18:33
Sebastien Bourdais to team up with Katherine Legge with Jay Penske's Dragon Racing team for 2012. AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Bourdais, Legge Set To Form Two-Car Dragon Racing Team (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-bourdais-legge-set-to-form-two-car-dragon-racing-team/)

monadvspec
20th January 2012, 17:56

Actually the correct spelling is Legge.

FIAT1
23rd January 2012, 15:26
Spelling is wrong but sentiment is the same. Welcome back , best wishes and take it to the limit.

Odie Stracs
25th January 2012, 21:04
Yes, lets get this back on topic....I think Kat and Sebass will make a great two some. He has shown what he can do..whether you think his titles were against a weaker field or not..and i dont think Kat has anything to prove. Just hope the team can give them the equipment and engine!!

Season is shaping up well....now if we can get ALESI a full time ride!!!!!!

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2012, 18:08
Kat Legge never got a fair shake really in her two years. The team was ok in the first year she had, but in the second year, she was definitely not a team priority. The Katherine Legge that I saw passing and winning two races in Atlantics and how she did it against some good drivers is what convinces me that we haven't seen her in the right situation. Unlike her more famous rival, Kat has never really been in a good Indycar team that was remotely competitive but she kept up her end. Is she a race winner? In today's Indycar, I wouldn't not think so. The field is so much deeper now than it was 3 years ago. Danica's lack of decent results this year past wasn't because her NASCAR distraction, it is just the bar has been raised on the depth and ability of the fields now. I don't think Danica or Kat could win unless things fell their way and they were in a really good team to start with. Danica had that in Japan a few years back, but she never has came close. I don't see Kat as earth shatteringly quick but....well we need to see her in good equipment. I think she is similar to Simona. Could be quick....might be....have to see...

Female race drivers are becoming less a novelty now, and I welcome them if they just want to race and not create a side show with their appearance. One will win again, and sorry DanicaFan, she isn't the best there ever will be. The best female racing driver is Janet Guthrie with an honourable mention to Michele Mouton in Rallying....Janet was DAMN fast in not even good equipment......and Mouton won in World Rally on her merits.....

27th January 2012, 05:42
she is a great driver for sure

uncommonsense52
31st January 2012, 20:46

The hockey community once said that there would never be a player greater than Orr, but then a guy named Wayne Gretzky showed up.

You can never something like "best there will ever be." Especially considering she had one win. All Kat has to do is get lucky twice to be statistically better than Danica.

Danica was a very consistent and fluid driver. But I hope that she wasn't the best female driver ever, because I have to believe that there will be a woman that comes along to win more than 1 race. Otherwise the sexists will be right in saying it's a men's sport. And I don't think it has to be.

garyshell
1st February 2012, 03:36
Danica was a very consistent and fluid driver. But I hope that she wasn't the best female driver ever, because I have to believe that there will be a woman that comes along to win more than 1 race. Otherwise the sexists will be right in saying it's a men's sport. And I don't think it has to be.

The ONLY thing about her that was consistent was that she was consistently in mid pack because she consistently had no stomach for pushing the car or herself to the limit. She consistently played it safe. Safe does not a good driver make. She was too risk averse. Oh there was actually one other thing that was consistent about her, she consistently had an attitude that the world owed her something. Good bye and good riddance.

BTW she was no where close to being the best female driver ever. They are several who paved the way for her who did much better and certainly had more class. Janet Guthrie of course, and Lynn St. James (not as an Indycar driver but as a sports car driver), Denise McCluggage in sports cars, Michelle Mouton in F1 and Shirley Muldowney in NHRA. All of them did a much better job of being true racers.

Gary

uncommonsense52
1st February 2012, 08:22
The ONLY thing about her that was consistent was that she was consistently in mid pack because she consistently had no stomach for pushing the car or herself to the limit. She consistently played it safe. Safe does not a good driver make. She was too risk averse. Oh there was actually one other thing that was consistent about her, she consistently had an attitude that the world owed her something. Good bye and good riddance.

BTW she was no where close to being the best female driver ever. They are several who paved the way for her who did much better and certainly had more class. Janet Guthrie of course, and Lynn St. James (not as an Indycar driver but as a sports car driver), Denise McCluggage in sports cars, Michelle Mouton in F1 and Shirley Muldowney in NHRA. All of them did a much better job of being true racers.

Gary

You seem to think I'm a Danica fan. I am not. I was just responding to DanicaFan explaining that, even if they think Danica has been the best, that there should be hope for more women to come in and do better. Like I said, Danica won once.

I always have described Danica as "a good driver and a poor racer" because she'll always bring the car home, but will never push it.

She isn't a talentless hack, but she really was just a mid packer. I suspect Simona is better than her, only in worse equipment.

garyshell
1st February 2012, 18:00
You seem to think I'm a Danica fan. I am not. I was just responding to DanicaFan explaining that, even if they think Danica has been the best, that there should be hope for more women to come in and do better. Like I said, Danica won once.

I always have described Danica as "a good driver and a poor racer" because she'll always bring the car home, but will never push it.

She isn't a talentless hack, but she really was just a mid packer. I suspect Simona is better than her, only in worse equipment.

There was not a single "you" in my reply, because I don't have any idea if you are a fan of her's or not. That was not the point. The point was I thought the notion that she was "consistent and fluid" didn't describe her correctly. See, I think she is a talentless hack. She will not push herself or the equipment. And that IS the talent that is required of a REAL driver in motorsports, unless you want someone to drive around a rolling billboard for your sponsor.

Gary

mike15
1st February 2012, 18:40
This thread is not about danica who took her advertising prowess to the NASCAR billboards series.

Katherine did well in the Atlantic's and earned her ride in Champ Car and she was competitive in Champ Car with lesser equipment.
With Sebastian's knowledge of setting up a car both should do well in IndyCar.

heliocastroneves#3
1st February 2012, 20:18
Such a shame a good driver like Vitor Meira always had to drive for the worser teams, and Danica just could drive all those years for Andretti Autosport. I think Vitor could have won at least three races with AA, in all those years Danica has raced for them. A bit of a shame that a two time runner-up at Indy never got the chance at a better team.

This topic is about Katherine, and I wish her the best. I'm also very curious if she's good oval racer or not. She was sixth at Milwaukee in 2006, but the ChampCar of then, was way different than todays' IndyCar.

FIAT1
1st February 2012, 21:49
[This topic is about Katherine, and I wish her the best. I'm also very curious if she's good oval racer or not. She was sixth at Milwaukee in 2006, but the ChampCar of then, was way different than todays' IndyCar.[/QUOTE]

Champcar of then had much more Hp then today Indycar, but she will need more seat time on every track this year before scorecard comes out.

heliocastroneves#3
2nd February 2012, 15:56
But ChampCar almost never drove on ovals, and if they drove on an oval, it was a 1 mile oval. She never drove on 1,5 mile, 2 mile and 2,5 mile ovals and that is what she's gonna do this year. I think she will enjoy it, I love every type of track the IndyCar Series is having on the schedule.... But for me, despite the very tragical accident which happened on October 16th 2011, racing on 1,5 mile ovals is IndyCar racing at it's best. I'm looking forward to every race, but after the Indianapolis 500, Texas is my favorite race for sure.

FIAT1
2nd February 2012, 16:37