PDA

View Full Version : Who will be best of the rest?

ioan
11th September 2011, 22:57
With the WDC title a forgone conclusion, the fans will have to concentrate on the fight for, in Ronspeak, the first of the losers position.

Logically it should be Webber, however I fear it will be Alonso or Button.

There are enough races for them to fight it out, so who will deliver the goods?

steveaki13
11th September 2011, 23:07
Well as you say, with this car Webber should be second to Vettel every race so he should be the one, but as we have seen this season, he is not often backing his team mate up, I think Button might make it.

I think Webber may continue to make errors and get stuck behind people.

Alonso would in a equal car easily now get second, but I think the Ferrari is a tad slower than the Mclaren now.

So with Button now really starting to pick up regular results and outracing Hamilton at the moment, I see him having a real chance of clinching second.

N4D13
11th September 2011, 23:16
I'm going to put my money on Hamilton. He has the speed and the potential to turn things around.

tfp
11th September 2011, 23:34
Bunson for second, I think! I wonder if (when) vettel clinches the title early, will webbers car suddenly get faster? He's the only one of the big 5(who won races last year) to not get a win yet. In whats supposed to be the fastest car, this definetly says something!

Brown, Jon Brow
11th September 2011, 23:49
I hope it is Button. His driving (in the races) deserves it.

keysersoze
12th September 2011, 00:06
This is going to be extremely close--perhaps no more than 10 points between the four--but I'll guess Alonso, Webber (once Vettel clinches the title, the focus will shift to Mark), Hamilton, and Button.

airshifter
12th September 2011, 01:29
I'm going to say Button or Hamilton, with Button having a slight edge. Ferrari simply don't seem to have a car good enough to give Alonso a shot, and Webber seems to be having a bad year. That being said the last time I started trashing Webber for doing poorly he turned his season around and started performing.

Rollo
12th September 2011, 02:42
Everyone from Alonso downwards who has been in every race this season has retired from at least one GP. Alonso and Webber have both only retired once, whereas the two McLarens have both retired twice.

Button is the most consistent of the four, finishing in an average of 3.3rd and hasn't retied because of his own mistakes; that is the most telling statistic.

kfzmeister
12th September 2011, 05:56
Its gonna be Alonso. Somehow! He's the only one that can put himself second in the championship with a turd like the 150 Italia.
Vettel's only ahead because of the RB7.

steveaki13
12th September 2011, 07:33
Button is the most consistent of the four, finishing in an average of 3.3rd and hasn't retied because of his own mistakes; that is the most telling statistic.

Does he get a throphy for 3.3rd :p

Big Ben
12th September 2011, 08:30
Webber has the best chance right now even after being the moron of the race last weekend. RBR gave him the green lights. He is allowed to win now so maybe all of a sudden his car will start to go as fast as Vettel's and even if doesn't win he'll be able to finish ahead of the rest and be no. 1 loser.

jens
12th September 2011, 09:57
During the second half of the season I have been thinking that Alonso is a very likely candidate to end up as second. And now he has risen to P2 for the first time this season. Alonso tends to be really strong at the end of seasons and Ferrari seemed to improve in mid-season as well. There is one issue though - it looks like Ferrari is gradually dropping backwards, while in mid-season they genuinely seemed capable of fighting for top awards (well, they got a win at Silverstone, but weren't too far in Germany, Valencia, etc either). In recent races Ferrari has been seriously struggling on the hard tyre again and for instance Button has managed to finish ahead of Alonso three times on the trot by now.

This brings us to Button, but whenever I think about the possibility of Button ending up in second, I'm immediately thinking that Hamilton on top of his game is able to beat him and if Lewis can have a flawless finish to the season, he is likely to come out on top. People have been talking about the underperformance of Webber, but personally I think speed-wise Hamilton should be clear second now, but he has lost many points due to mistakes and strategies. But I'm unsure if LH has the mentality to have 6 excellent races on the trot and pull it off, because if he has he will certainly do it.

Webber? Somehow never able to truly shine, never has managed to win a race during 2011, but maybe if Vettel's title is out of the way, he will pull something out of the bag too. As we remember, Patrese in '92 or Barrichello '04 didn't reach a race win until only late in the season either despite their team-mates dominating the season.

All in all - mighty hard to tell. :) Let's remember last year - Webber and Hamilton were the leading duo before the flyaway races, yet dropped to 3rd and 4th by the end. One of the biggest changing factors IMO is that now Button seems a genuine contender, while last year or in mid-season this year he seemed to just somehow stay in the game, without seeming a real threat for that position.

jens
26th September 2011, 09:42
I have to say Button is looking really strong to clinch that P2 indeed. Ferrari is a bit weak, but Alonso keeps scoring decent points and is likely to stay within striking distance. Webber, despite somehow never winning, is scoring podiums often and while others have had their up-and-downs (from P2 to P5 in overall standings), he has been thereabouts all season, so it will be tight whether he can turn it in his favour in the end. Hamilton is a bit behind, but not completely out of it.

I think in the end it will come down to who can avoid DNF-s - and this is harder to predict, also depending on fortune. From that point of view Button has done well to climb back up to P2 despite two DNFs, while both Webber and Alonso have one so far. But one more DNF for any of them will be very costly, as well as for Hamilton.

Bolton Midnight
28th September 2011, 21:07
With the WDC title a forgone conclusion, the fans will have to concentrate on the fight for, in Ronspeak, the first of the losers position.

Why logically, Webber has been decidedly average again, clearly the best car and not a singe win.

52Paddy
8th October 2011, 15:11
Increasingly looking like it's going to be Button.

steveaki13
8th October 2011, 18:11
I think Jenson will have a good race tomorrow which may go along way to getting him there.

Bolton Midnight
9th October 2011, 03:50
Certainly not Mr useless Webber, crap qualifying in what is and has been all season the best car, he's an embarrassment.

Button has been best driver this season already by quite a long way.

Robinho
9th October 2011, 08:41
its looking increasingly like Button

F1boat
9th October 2011, 08:43
Yeah, although Alonso is still close.

AndyL
9th October 2011, 08:48
Webber is looking increasingly likely to lose my money :(

Ranger
9th October 2011, 08:50
The answer: the one with the most points.

No point predicting - there's 32 points in it with a maximum of 100 available. Misfortune can (and has) affect all four of them in the remaining races.

jens
9th October 2011, 09:26
Button and Alonso are emerging as the contenders. Button seems to be the main main. Results in last five races: 1-3-2-2-1. Mighty impressive. Alonso still has a some hope, because Ferrari showed some impressive form on harder tyres for once. Let's see if they can replicate it.

Poor Webber is unable to be a genuine front-runner at any GP weekend. Even if he qualifies at the front, he throws it away at the start. Most of his races seem to be damage limitations. Even today he was 7th after the start, after which he managed to get up to P4 with a good pit strategy. His 3rds and 4ths are not going to be enough.

Hamilton has mostly been 4th or 5th recently and has some spacial awareness issues while racing against other cars. In the first half of the season he had at least great speed, but by now he seems to have lost this as well as he is struggling with tyre degradation in races. So odd to see him being so uncompetitive and completely out of the game. Unless he can sort these issues out and adapt to the tyres quickly, he is not going to end up higher in standings than he currently is.

ioan
9th October 2011, 20:44
Most probably Button. Alonso might make it but will be difficult. Hamilton has been broken by Vettel and then by Button.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 00:38
The top tier is clearly SV JB FA & LH

Webber has been truly awful, amazing to think some nutjobs reckoned he was better than Button! But amazing how blinkered nationality can make some folk, esp the stupid.

MW best chance for a win is now, SV doesn't need to win so he may help his number 2.

Di Resta would be better in the RBR.

wedge
10th October 2011, 01:01
Hardly broken lol. Button has done the better job over the season so far and Vettel has delivered over every single driver in the field. As a Hamilton fan I can admit Jenson is driving better and its a shame more fans on here can't man up to certain situations instead of looking silly when they contradict themselves. With a handful of races still left we may see a shake up between the following teams and it would be foolish to kick a driver while he is down, only for him to come back stronger and prove people wrong. As they say don't count your chickens until they have hatched.

This year's McLaren is better than last years (as can be seen from vapour trails) and has more confidence getting the best out of it.

Button is more than a number 2 but not great IMHO which means he's punishing Hamilton for his mistakes.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 01:48
If JB is only just better than a No.2 then who do you rate?

He's the complete package, the new Prost or Lauda the thinking mans driver.

Koz
10th October 2011, 02:48

So you are Saint Devote? :D

AndyL
10th October 2011, 11:14
Webber has been truly awful, amazing to think some nutjobs reckoned he was better than Button! But amazing how blinkered nationality can make some folk, esp the stupid.

Is 2010, when Webber outperformed Vettel for three quarters of the season until he got injured, so quickly forgotten?

wedge
10th October 2011, 11:14

He's got a way to go if Button is ever to win that title.

He is not the complete package simply because he struggles to 'out-drive' a car. I applaud his skill in wet/dry conditions but he's made a name of himself in that department. Replicating that sort of feat in the dry is something else altogether and the fact that it took so long while does grate me. When JB was winning races with the best car in 2009 Hamilton won races in a dog of a car. Because of this, I reckon his win in Japan is arguably one of, if not, the best win of his career so far.

The other thing that really annoys me is that age old problem: tyre temperature. He seems next to useless at warming up his tyres in cool, dry conditions:

2006 Australian GP could not warm up his tyres during SC whilst following behind Alonso who was aggressively warming up his tyre. They worked on it in testing that year and admitted they couldn't find a solution.

2009 German GP JB was moaning about tyres and was the only driver to be seen weaving across the straights during the race.

2011 German GP again at Nurburgring and again cool dry conditions again struggling with tyre temperature.

Simply, when the car is right for Button, he can beat anyone.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 13:04
He's got alot more experience than Lewis too, but even Button has had tough season's where he's made errors. Each season is different at the end of the day and drivers sometimes have a period where nothing goes right for them.

No doubt that LH is the quicker of the two, just like Mansell was quicker than Piquet or Peterson quicker than Andretti or Senna quicker than Prost or Villeneuve quicker than Scheckter etc etc.

But LH is over driving the car, knackering his tyres and losing the plot.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 13:07
Is 2010, when Webber outperformed Vettel for three quarters of the season until he got injured, so quickly forgotten?

That'll be the same 2010 when SV won the championship would it?

wedge
10th October 2011, 15:50
But LH is over driving the car, knackering his tyres and losing the plot.

First and last I would agree with.

Canada last year and China this year there was high tyre degradation and both won by Hamilton. The former is a better example: JB gave a final push in the last 10 laps and LH still had reserves.

The tyre thing is a typical JB fanboy/casual F1 viewer's response ie. JB's silky smooth driving style can be overhyped and people like JYS can be annoying. IMHO no driving style is superior than the other but if you look at WDC in past decades you could argue an aggressive style is better.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 16:46
Aggressive styles: Peterson, Regazoni, Villeneuve

0 championships

Hardly a casual observer and JB is gentler on his tyres than LH.

jens
10th October 2011, 16:53
It also depends on the rules/regulations. I think the vastly deteriorating Pirellis suit Button and his 'smooth style'. Have to give credit, he has been driving like a true top driver, no less. Even in his main weakness, qualifying, he has been within a tenth of Hamilton.

But the Bridgestone control tyres were much trickier to warm up, especially for 'smoother' drivers, hence Jenson was at times really struggling there, also in colder temperatures. But going further back I think the Michelins suited him well, back in 04-05 he used to be good in qualifying too. In 2005 we had one-tyre rule, so conserving was again useful. And in 2004 it was a norm to make three pitstops during a race as the tyres were quite aggressively designed due to tyre war and were efficient to heat up quicker - in contrast to Bridgestone "controls", which could last for the whole race. And as we remember, Button had a mighty impressive season in 2004.

Bolton Midnight
10th October 2011, 17:18
A handful of races vs the vast majority ??

angrycat32
10th October 2011, 17:49
Button will finish 2nd. Alonso is a better driver but his car is not as fast as the McLaren which really has been as fast as Red Bull the 2nd half of the season.

wedge
10th October 2011, 22:24
Aggressive styles: Peterson, Regazoni, Villeneuve

0 championships

Hardly a casual observer and JB is gentler on his tyres than LH.

Did I not explicitly point out to the "more recent decades" where cars produce more downforce and handle better and therefore more forgiving to driver inputs than much later decades with cross ply tyres, skinny tyres, poor aero, no aero.

52Paddy
11th October 2011, 00:53
I, personally, think Button is a better overall driver than Hamilton. When Hamilton is in the zone and doesn't get too hot headed, he is unbeatable. Though you could say that when Button has a few variables going his way, he is also a very convincing race winner. One aspect that enforces my opinion (Button over Hamilton) is that when Button is not doing well, he still keeps his head down and makes the best of a bad situation. He may be unspectacular at times but he is consistent. Hamilton seems to, not just out-drive the car, but out-drive himself and, while this can be very entertaining to watch, it is a major flaw when you are competing for championship points.

It is true that Button has many more year's experience than Lewis but I feel Button is only finding himself in the last few seasons (since Brawn). His uncompetitive stints with a lacklustre car could have easily spelled the end of his career but, now with a chance in good machinery, we are experiencing a much neater (and quicker) driver. Let's not take away some of his great drives in circa 2004/2005 either. Lewis has made a string of bad mistakes this year and, while I agree that many drivers go through bad patches, I feel that Lewis is taking a lot longer to overcome these defects and turn his situation around for the better.

I may have said this before but I'll repeat it: Lewis has been nurtured by McLaren from a very young age. Button is completely fresh in the team. The aspects for both of them has to be polarised and, at the moment, it seems Button is delivering far more comfortably and Lewis is being put on a pedestal because he's the son they never had. I believe he'll get his act together but, for his sake, it would want to be sooner rather than later and, because of this, I see Button as clear 'best of the rest' for now (not going into Webber, Alonso or Massa).

Bolton Midnight
11th October 2011, 07:53
Red Bull has been the best car all season, McLaren may appear quicker only when you take MW performances into account, base it purely on Vettel and RBR is the best.

Still not so sure Alonso won't nab 2nd the Ferrari has been as good as the McLaren sometimes.

steveaki13
11th October 2011, 17:44
Still think Jenson's going to finish second.

I wonder if Red Bull will try and do everything they can to get Webber to 2nd in the championship, but to be honest Mark needs to be high enough to be helped and as we know lately he cannot get right up the sharp end.

Malbec
11th October 2011, 18:21
I, personally, think Button is a better overall driver than Hamilton. When Hamilton is in the zone and doesn't get too hot headed, he is unbeatable. Though you could say that when Button has a few variables going his way, he is also a very convincing race winner. One aspect that enforces my opinion (Button over Hamilton) is that when Button is not doing well, he still keeps his head down and makes the best of a bad situation. He may be unspectacular at times but he is consistent. Hamilton seems to, not just out-drive the car, but out-drive himself and, while this can be very entertaining to watch, it is a major flaw when you are competing for championship points.

Don't know about that, I wasn't very impressed by Button in the last half of 2009 where he was often outpaced by Rubens and seemed to get his head down over the whole race weekend.

That said I didn't expect Button to do that well against Lewis and he's proven me wrong for the reasons you describe. I think Jenson will be second this season, he's driving better than Lewis and Alonso who is the only other serious candidate has problems with his car being uncompetitive.

52Paddy
12th October 2011, 17:37
Don't know about that, I wasn't very impressed by Button in the last half of 2009 where he was often outpaced by Rubens and seemed to get his head down over the whole race weekend.

Hence why I said he can be 'unspectacular' but consistent. He may not be as quick as his team-mate every given weekend, but he regularly brings the car home with a healthy tally of points.

kfzmeister
12th October 2011, 18:24
As an Alonso fan i'm gonna have to concede that i think Button will come out ahead, simply because the McLaren is a more competitive car.

Ferrari did surprise me late last season, though.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2011, 10:40
As an Alonso fan i'm gonna have to concede that i think Button will come out ahead, simply because the McLaren is a more competitive car.

Ferrari did surprise me late last season, though.

Well the McLaren did seem faster than even the Red Bull at Suzuka, and a car that is fast there is usually fast anywhere.

ioan
13th October 2011, 18:54
It's all about the tires.
In 3 days time the Ferrari might be faster than the McLaren even though the cars will be the same.

Bolton Midnight
15th October 2011, 12:37
I wonder if Red Bull will try and do everything they can to get Webber to 2nd in the championship, but to be honest Mark needs to be high enough to be helped and as we know lately he cannot get right up the sharp end.

Not to worry MW lack of talent will counter anything RBR try.

Worst driver in a leading car yet again for MW, rubbish.

Zico
15th October 2011, 17:46
Watching Lewis being interviewed after qualy this morning, he seemed calm, focussed and quite philosophical, very unlike him... Has he managed to sort out problems in his personal life? Or had his mind re-jigged by a shrink? I have a feeling we will have a very strong finish to the season from him.

Malbec
15th October 2011, 18:02
Watching Lewis being interviewed after qualy this morning, he seemed calm, focussed and quite philosophical, very unlike him... Has he managed to sort out problems in his personal life? Or had his mind re-jigged by a shrink? I have a feeling we will have a very strong finish to the season from him.

He didn't even reply to his engineer congratulating him over the radio, nor did he take his helmet off until after he was weighed. I hope that whatever is behind his behaviour is positive because he could just as easily be very down about something.

52Paddy
15th October 2011, 19:03
He didn't even reply to his engineer congratulating him over the radio, nor did he take his helmet off until after he was weighed. I hope that whatever is behind his behaviour is positive because he could just as easily be very down about something.

I'm pretty sure that this is the most likely case. He said it wasn't an emotional time for him but I'm convinced that Hamilton was upset about something after his pole today. Perhaps the heat that he has taken over the past few races has been too much for a pole position to simply be the answer. A strong performance tomorrow will surely mean he is on the right track to feeling at home with himself again. I'm expecting that he'll be a new driver by the start of 2012 on the back of what has been one of his most difficult seasons in my view. Best of luck to him tomorrow - he was stellar today :up:

jens
15th October 2011, 19:22
I'm pretty sure that this is the most likely case. He said it wasn't an emotional time for him but I'm convinced that Hamilton was upset about something after his pole today. Perhaps the heat that he has taken over the past few races has been too much for a pole position to simply be the answer. A strong performance tomorrow will surely mean he is on the right track to feeling at home with himself again. I'm expecting that he'll be a new driver by the start of 2012 on the back of what has been one of his most difficult seasons in my view. Best of luck to him tomorrow - he was stellar today :up:

Yes, this is indeed interesting. I remember a year ago Vettel was having a similar period. He was having issues in each race and made several mistakes, which almost destroyed his title hopes. He looked a bit rattled and emotional (recall the team radio reaction in Hungary about Webber being in front of him). But for the last third of the season Seb managed to make a mental reset and has been sublime since then. Such lows can teach drivers a new improved philosophical attitude towards the sport they are in.

It is easy for very talented people to get carried away and take an attitude that results and achievements are a must for them (like Hamilton has compared himself to Senna), but in this case every setback can easily unsettle. The key is to concentrate on every single activity in the moment and think about results only after they have practically arrived. Hence perhaps it shouldn't surprise us, why Vettel was telling to the media he wasn't thinking about title until it was actually clinched. :)

Zico
16th October 2011, 14:17

You, Jens and Paddy may well be correct, I thought his radio reply had just not been broadcast.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how he performs.

52Paddy
16th October 2011, 23:20
After the race today he said he was not "ecstatic" because he "went backwards". I reckon he's coming to terms with the difficult rival that has now been established in Sebastien Vettel, on top of other things perhaps outside the F1 world. He seemed to complain a bit during the race regarding tyres and front wing settings. Seems to me like he was a little 'on edge' or something. Although it's probably better if we don't read into it to much until we have more to go on.

CNR
27th October 2011, 22:00
Vettel wants Webber second in F1 points | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/formula-one/red-bull-racing-f1-driver-sebastian-vettel-says-hed-love-to-see-mark-webber-come-second-in-championship/story-e6frf3zl-1226179025449)

"I would love to see Mark finishing second - it's good for us as a team. I think we had a strong season so far and that would be the best way to finish such a fantastic season," Vettel said.

airshifter
28th October 2011, 12:00
I think it will be business as usual for RB. If they use team orders to help Mark it might affect Sebastian on his way to records. Even though the WDC standings may be more important in the eyes of some it wouldn't be smart to take away Vettels motivation to want to win races.

Last year right about the time I started stating that Mark wasn't performing, he came alive and drove some really good races. This year he has yet to really rise to the challenge. I'm not sure if the tire changes or other changes don't suit him, or if he is just having a crappy year. But personally I don't think there is any conspiracy to be had.

ioan
30th October 2011, 12:12
Looks like Hamilton and Webber are out of it now.

jens
30th October 2011, 13:05
Hamilton is certainly out. Button has the momentum, as long as he avoids a retirement in the last two races, P2 will be his.

jens
13th November 2011, 20:28
One more race to go and it will be between Button and Alonso with 10 points separating them. Webber has to win the race to have any kind of a theoretical chance, but based on his form this season it seems a big ask. :p :

Alonso needs to win and hope that Button finishes outside podium. Or if he doesn't win (more likely), simply hope that something goes wrong for Button more horribly than a 'mere' KERS failure like in Abu Dhabi. Well, something like what happened to Vettel, would do for Alonso.

And finally congratulations to Button for outscoring Hamilton in 2011! :up: With an advantage of 28 points before the last race he is uncatchable. Great achievement considering there weren't many believers in this to ever happen. Hence congrats to Saint Devote also! :) Even though he is not around here these days any more.

F1boat
13th November 2011, 21:02
The McLaren situation is difficult. Jenson IMO is the more consistent and reliable driver. Lewis is simply faster...

The Black Knight
14th November 2011, 10:59
But then again we've seen Lewis be as consistent in the past so its difficult to say whether its a cast iron fact one driver will continue to be more inconsistent as the other. We may see Jenson continue to be consistent next season but if the car is not to his liking, we may see the opposite. We may see Lewis make more mistakes under pressure heading into 2012, we may not. I don't think we can say for definite how the Mclaren boys will evolve into next year but they are definately the strongest pairing on the grid and it was good to see them both on form today.. :)

Indeed. I agree completely. To say that Button is the more consistent driver just because he has had a great second half of the season is blindsighted to say the least. Every driver goes through rough patches like Lewis, including Button and he has had plenty of those in the past. Hamilton was incredibly consistent last year apart from one silly mistake in Monza. He is still the best driver on the grid on his day for me. This win should enable him to kick it up a gear and move forward from his worst season to date in F1. He will be back to the Lewis of old next year I'd imagine and I honestly don't think Button will be able to live with him.

There is a reason Alonso said that he is the only driver on the grid that can win a championship in a car that isn't the best in the field and that is because he sees the talent he has after being teammates with him in 2007. Lewis will return next year.

jens
14th November 2011, 16:21
Indeed. I agree completely. To say that Button is the more consistent driver just because he has had a great second half of the season is blindsighted to say the least. Every driver goes through rough patches like Lewis, including Button and he has had plenty of those in the past. Hamilton was incredibly consistent last year apart from one silly mistake in Monza. He is still the best driver on the grid on his day for me. This win should enable him to kick it up a gear and move forward from his worst season to date in F1. He will be back to the Lewis of old next year I'd imagine and I honestly don't think Button will be able to live with him.

Button wouldn't be able to live with Hamilton? You talk about half a season, but if we combine the two seasons Button and Hamilton have spent together, the points score is: 469 - 467.

It reminds me a bit of the arguments about Massa v Räikkönen and Kubica v Heidfeld. In both cases drivers collected roughly a similar amount of points over an extended period of time as team-mates. But still fans weren't content that drivers can actually be a match to each other and kept arguing that one is better than the other, because one has shown "some more spark". Bottom line is that a couple of races can be an exception, but if drivers still match each other over multiple seasons, it's not. Drivers simply have different strengths, but the end result is similar.

If you talk about Hamilton's troubles, I can turn it around too and say that 2010 Bridgestone tyres caused big problems for Button and he had a fair amount of poor qualifyings. Yet he was only 3 points behind Hamilton before the Korean Grand Prix! What could he do if he didn't have those troubles and could get the maximum out of the car? We are seeing it in 2011. :)

ioan
14th November 2011, 19:07
But then again we've seen Lewis be as consistent in the past ...

When was that?
Unless you meant consistently crashing, that I would agree.

ioan
14th November 2011, 21:13
Hamilton's career started before 2011 its worth pointing out. He has shown consistency since entering the sport with '07, '09 and '10 standing out. Last season he was the most consistent of the top drivers all season with only 2 mistakes where others made more including Vettel, Alonso, Button, and Webber. In 2009 during the last 10 races Lewis scored more points than any driver with only Raikkonen scoring a point less. Lewis can be consistent when he is in the groove and we shouldn't take a few recent races as a measure of his complete ability IMO. He showed yesterday he is back on form, and I think we'll see a more motivated Lewis Hamilton from now on.

In 2007 he chocked away the WDC => not consistent.
In 2008 he and Felipe were consistently up and down, yet it might have been his most 'consistent' season.
In 2009 he was consistently middle field with those M at the back, before getting towards the front but then again it's subjective.
In 2010 honestly not sure as I can't remember anythings about him last season. maybe this was the one, but it doesn't come even close to what Vettel showed since Korea 2010 in terms of consistency.

Anyway it's a question of expectations and points of view. :)

CaptainRaiden
14th November 2011, 21:35
In 2007 he chocked away the WDC => not consistent.

His debut year, and he was so damn consistent that his first 9 races included 7 podiums and 2 wins, not to mention 4 wins and 8 podiums in his "DEBUT" year + outperforming his double champion teammate and taking the fight to other two experienced campaigners i.e. Kimi and Massa. Lost the WDC by only one point after cocking it up in the last two races. If that is not consistent, I don't know what is.

In 2008 he and Felipe were consistently up and down, yet it might have been his most 'consistent' season.

Second year in the sport, won the WDC in arguably the second best car, while his teammate was nowhere, not even in the top 5.

In 2009 he was consistently middle field with those M at the back, before getting towards the front but then again it's subjective.

2 victories and 3 podiums in undoubtedly the 3rd best car that year, nowhere in the league of the Brawns and Red Bull, completely steamrolling his teammate again.

In 2010 honestly not sure as I can't remember anythings about him last season. maybe this was the one, but it doesn't come even close to what Vettel showed since Korea 2010 in terms of consistency.

The only Mclaren to be in the title hunt until the last race of the season, which would have been much closer without the mistake in Monza. Also, arguably the third fastest car behind the Red Bull and Ferrari. Vettel made more mistakes than Lewis last year, and if anything, Petrov won him his championship more so than his "consistency".

Anyway it's a question of expectations and points of view. :)

Nope, more like logic versus pure bias. :)

Valve Bounce
15th November 2011, 01:42

There are enough races for them to fight it out, so who will deliver the goods?

Well, for a start, the Bunsen has been a revelation this year with some great performances. However, I think it is difficult to define "the best of the rest". I always felt that Alonso has great talent, and so has Hamilton, although the later appears to need to mature mentally and transfer this maturity to his on track behavior. Mark!! well, up until Monaco last year, I thought he was the best out there. Then things started to happen, and one wonders if he has fully come to grips with RBR management and now his car. His performance has declined to hte extent that I no longer look forward to F1 races this year.
It will be most interesting to see, as you say, who will deliver the goods.

Bolton Midnight
18th November 2011, 23:53
Not to worry MW lack of talent will counter anything RBR try.

Worst driver in a leading car yet again for MW, rubbish.

See

told you so

India and Abu Dhabi - Webber has the quickest car and even with KERS and DRS he gets shown up by Alonso and Button, the guy is really second rate.

, up until Monaco last year, I thought he was the best out there. Then things started to happen, and one wonders if he has fully come to grips with RBR management and now his car. His performance has declined to hte extent that I no longer look forward to F1 races this year.
It will be most interesting to see, as you say, who will deliver the goods.

Foolhardy jingoism that'll be

He's just been rumbled as not being all that good, FACT.

ioan
19th November 2011, 12:03
The fact you admit here that you 'can't remember anythings' from his season's that have supported consistency suggests in this arguement anything negative is the only option.

Did you really try to use plural there or was it just a slip up?

ShiftingGears
19th November 2011, 17:08
I do think its cute however that instead of answering my posts and dealing with the facts that you are faced with, you have chosen to pick on my grammar as a last resort because you have no arguement. In situations like this you have only embarrassed yourself. Nice one. :dozey:

That was the impression I got also.

pino
19th November 2011, 17:10
henners and ioan... I am tired of your childish fights in most threads in here, stop it or I will do that for you !