PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's lifestyle - are the journalists missing the point?

Daniel
10th September 2011, 12:58
Whilst I'm not a fan of Lewis Hamitlon I find it rather comical that the journalists are trying to blame it on his lifestyle.

IMHO the problem with Lewis is that he's been brought up from a young age to think that he's the best and you can clearly see the level of self belief he's got. He's not had the upbringing that anyone on here has had where you go through the normal trials and tribulations of life and grow up with self doubt or with issues with confidence. He's been brought up to know that he's the best and that is a big part of the reason why he's in an F1 car and why us dullards are in front of a TV watching him rather than racing wheel to wheel with him. Why would someone who believes himself to be the best feel the need to check his mirrors when he's just overtaken a less talented driver in a slower car? It's a catch 22 I guess, take away Lewis' 110% self belief in himself and what do you have?

His comments about having a "normal" life like everyone else was just silly though and shows how blissfully unaware he is of what is "normal". I doubt that Lewis or Nicole get down on their knees on a Saturday morning, spray a crapload of bleach into the bog and clean the limescale off with a scourer. Neither would I if I had the money to pay someone else, but I'd like to think I'd recognise that that isn't a "normal" lifestyle.

Mark
10th September 2011, 13:28
I'm glad I live in a soft water area.

Daniel
10th September 2011, 14:25
I think Lewis meant a normal life away from the track as in he plays on his playstaion and chills out watching TV. I watched an interview with him on TV recently and he said when he isn't doing PR work and training, he enjoys cooking, and taking things easy. He also said he enjoys going back to his Mum's for Sunday lunch and spending time with his family because it takes away the feeling of being famous. I agree the lad can't live a normal life as anywhere he goes he gets attention, but the media are keen to pin the blame on his mistakes by suggesting his lifestyle gets in the way. Lewis only has himself to blame and I think the pressure of not winning combined with a teammate who is doing a slightly better job lately is testing his concentration. He needs to step up and I have a good feeling about this race. :)

I see your point I suppose. What do you think of my theory about his upbringing and levels of self confidence? I know F1 drivers these days all start early, but I think Lewis had a rather charmed start to F1 with jumping into a top team. Not even Vettel jumped into a top team straight away.

ioan
10th September 2011, 14:30
I wonder why does anyone bother writing about Hamilton.
He can put on a good lap every now and again but he will throw it away around mid race usually.

Vettel killed Hamilton's self esteem for good, and the golden boy can't live with the reality and over reacts badly.

Take a look how Jenson takes it on the chin like a man, while being also disturbed by the level Vettel has reached he does however keep his calm and does the best job possible. But then again Jenson didn't fell from the top of the world like Hamy did.

Lewis will need a lot of time to get himself together after this season, and that's if he ever really manages to get it together.

The Black Knight
10th September 2011, 14:32
Whilst I'm not a fan of Lewis Hamitlon I find it rather comical that the journalists are trying to blame it on his lifestyle.

IMHO the problem with Lewis is that he's been brought up from a young age to think that he's the best and you can clearly see the level of self belief he's got. He's not had the upbringing that anyone on here has had where you go through the normal trials and tribulations of life and grow up with self doubt or with issues with confidence. He's been brought up to know that he's the best and that is a big part of the reason why he's in an F1 car and why us dullards are in front of a TV watching him rather than racing wheel to wheel with him. Why would someone who believes himself to be the best feel the need to check his mirrors when he's just overtaken a less talented driver in a slower car? It's a catch 22 I guess, take away Lewis' 110% self belief in himself and what do you have?

His comments about having a "normal" life like everyone else was just silly though and shows how blissfully unaware he is of what is "normal". I doubt that Lewis or Nicole get down on their knees on a Saturday morning, spray a crapload of bleach into the bog and clean the limescale off with a scourer. Neither would I if I had the money to pay someone else, but I'd like to think I'd recognise that that isn't a "normal" lifestyle.

Is that really so? You know, for someone that loves FACTS you sure are able to make some huge assumptions when it suits. YOU don't know if he was brought up from a young age to think that he is the best. Maybe he thinks he is the best simply because he is and always has been and perhaps it has nothing to do with the way he was brought up. You don't know. You just don't know. So why don't you stick to the facts as you've clearly stated you love doing, Daniel?

Daniel
10th September 2011, 14:40
Is that really so? You know, for someone that loves FACTS you sure are able to make some huge assumptions when it suits. YOU don't know if he was brought up from a young age to think that he is the best. Maybe he thinks he is the best simply because he is and always has been and perhaps it has nothing to do with the way he was brought up. You don't know. You just don't know. So why don't you stick to the facts as you've clearly stated you love doing, Daniel?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance for TBN? It's all on video, Hamilton was brought up (and pretty much admits it himself) with the sole purpose of competing in F1. Has the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance arrived yet?

Rollo
10th September 2011, 14:49
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance for TBN? It's all on video, Hamilton was brought up (and pretty much admits it himself) with the sole purpose of competing in F1. Has the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance arrived yet?

And? What would you like Lewis to do? Buy a German Shepherd and take it to West End restaurants?

wedge
10th September 2011, 15:50
Wait a minute? Drivers aren't human beings as well as having their ego's fed?

Sure he's desperate to win another WDC.

Isn't it a bit disturbing that Simon Fuller is representing LH? and/or that Perhaps one cannot perceive Nicole Schwarzenegger or whatever it is as a trophy GF?

In the early 2000s I distinctly a remember Nigel Roebuck answering a similar question in Autosport.com's Ask Nigel feature. He reckoned a couple of drivers would have been better off - and consequently better drivers if they weren't so worried about which girl they were sleeping with. (I reckoned he was referring to JV & DC :D )

Pat Symonds has often remarked how he and Benetton were unimpressed with Button's playboy lifestyle. His performance improved when his lifestyle was better managed.

So is LH's desperation and distractions interlinked or coincidence?

Daniel
10th September 2011, 16:19
And? What would you like Lewis to do? Buy a German Shepherd and take it to West End restaurants?

Yes! That would be fantastic :p

The Black Knight
10th September 2011, 16:22
Vettel did go through the ranks of a driver development programme like Lewis did and had unlimited access to Michael Schumachers karting track in Kerpen as his parents were family friends. Vettel also grew up with money not being a problem whereas Lewis grew up in a council house with a father who pushed him hard and did multiple jobs to fund his early career. Lewis was lucky there was an opening at McLaren in 2007 and Vettel was unlucky there was not at Red Bull with DC still having 2 years left to run. I think Lewis showed straight off he had the ability to drive in a top team and spending 2 seasons in the mid pack would have been counterproductive and would not have benefitted his skillbase IMO. Vettel was a test driver during 2006 with BMW and got valuable track time which helped prepare him for his transition the following season. Both drivers had very different upbringing's but very similar support in the run up to F1. Lewis has self belief and I think that is his strength, but he needs to improve his concentration levels if he is to return to form IMO.

You're exactly right, Henners, but don't expect Daniel to concede that point now that you've shown him the FACTS because it simply doesn't suit what his limited view on everything. Vettel has had the better backing than a lot of the drivers on the grid, in fact probably the best even. Paul DiResta beat him 2006 F3 Euro Series in the same car and still Vettel went forward into F1 before him because he was better funded. Vettel has been given a far more cushy number than Hamilton and others on the grid.

Lewis's Dad had to work two jobs to fund Hamilton's career. To even insinuate that he has in anyway has it easy shows a complete lack of knowledge of where Lewis came from. Also being brought up with the sole purpose of competing in F1 does not equal "brought up from a young age to think that he's the best".

Daniel
10th September 2011, 16:36
You're exactly right, Henners, but don't expect Daniel to concede that point now that you've shown him the FACTS because it simply doesn't suit what his limited view on everything. Vettel has had the better backing than a lot of the drivers on the grid, in fact probably the best even. Paul DiResta beat him 2006 F3 Euro Series in the same car and still Vettel went forward into F1 before him because he was better funded. Vettel has been given a far more cushy number than Hamilton and others on the grid.

Lewis's Dad had to work two jobs to fund Hamilton's career. To even insinuate that he has in anyway has it easy shows a complete lack of knowledge of where Lewis came from. Also being brought up with the sole purpose of competing in F1 does not equal "brought up from a young age to think that he's the best".

Vettel coming into the B team is nowhere near as Hamilton coming into one of the top 2 teams at the time.......

ioan
10th September 2011, 17:15
Vettel coming into the B team is nowhere near as Hamilton coming into one of the top 2 teams at the time.......

C'mon Dan, why don't you just accept that Lewy is the 2nd coming of humanities savior? (BTW I don't believe the first one existed either, but you get the point, this is sarcasm)

ioan
10th September 2011, 17:17
This gumf sounds like something Darth Vader would say in Star Wars lol.

I'll take that for a compliment.

Lewis needs a lot of cold showers, not the ego massaging McLaren is giving him now.

Daniel
10th September 2011, 17:20
Vettel was driving in a 'B team' in Formula One at an age where Hamilton was competing in a lower catagory though? Vettel won his WDC two and half seasons after entering the sport as was the youngest ever WDC. Lewis is 2 years older than Vettel and although came into a top team, he waited two years longer for his chance. There are differences and they are both lucky to be where they are IMO, but neither is luckier than the other unless we choose to forget certain circumstances to enhance the POV of each. :)
I think for any driver to debut in a top top top team though is rather a gift.

Daniel
10th September 2011, 17:36
Indeed it is but we only have to look at Hamilton's CV to see he worked hard in the lower series to earn that chance. McLaren wouldn't have employed him and continued their interest in him unless he was a good driver. Coming into the team and finishing in the standings ahead of a double WDC proved the gamble they made was the right choice IMO. Red Bull were always intending to give Seb a seat in their team, but because of his younger age and DC's contract having two years left to run, their chose to put him in their 'B Team'. Both drivers got a dream entry into the sport and this should go to their credit rather than be played off against each other.

True enough I guess. IMHO a driver should also do a year or two of an apprenticeship in F1 also. Of course Hamilton's 2 best years were his 2 first years so perhaps for Lewis that example might not work......

But IMHO if Lewis had done 2 years in a Force india or whatever then I think he'd be a better driver now. Look at the level that Vettel is performing at now ;)

jens
10th September 2011, 18:27
Lifestyle or not, but I'm not sure, how does it affect his driving unless for some reason he is incapable of switching his mind off from "everyday issues" during racing, which I think all top drivers are capable of doing, otherwise they wouldn't be top drivers. Maybe you can argue that due to lifestyle Lewis hasn't slept well enough at night or whatever and hence his concentration/etc isn't at maximum level. But this is something I'm unable to comment at. As we remember, not long ago there were also discussions about Kimi's lifestyle and its effect on F1. So these are things that are very hard to judge for an outsider.

The crash with Kobayashi was weird, clearly a sign of lack of concentration/judgement, but I'm not sure about the cause. Maybe an underestimation of midfield runners? But Monaco/Canada weekends were IMO a sign of getting desperate about Vettel running away with the championship (so it was an F1 issue, not lifestyle). Some Lewis' comments have also indicated that he doesn't really enjoy (to put it mildly) seeing Vettel getting in front of him in the stats race.

SGWilko
10th September 2011, 18:46

Do the hacks actually quote you in the articles about Lewis's lifestyle and it being all your fault cos you don't like him much?

Knock-on
10th September 2011, 18:55
Do the hacks actually quote you in the articles about Lewis's lifestyle and it being all your fault cos you don't like him much?

:laugh: I don't think Daniel would be THAT arrogant :laugh:

(But then again......) ;)

wedge
11th September 2011, 01:08
In a different forum some people weren't impressed by the appearance of Lewis's chums in Canada. And it appears not much has changed since - performance wise.

Hamilton was surrounded this weekend by a glamorous crowd in the McLaren hospitality area. Pop stars like Rihanna and Ice T, NBA basketball players towering over other guests, this was like a night at the MTV Awards, more than a race meeting. Ron Dennis looked on quizzically at all the bling.

“That’s where Lewis’ head is at right now,” said one seasoned F1 insider* as we stood together surveying the scene.

Who knows where his head is. Certainly he seems to be going about his business in a different way from before, no less intense, but somehow desperate at times, impatient and clearly frustrated. He’s a brilliant entertainer, but he’s fluffing his lines at the moment, unlike the 2009 and 2010 seasons where he took every half chance that was going.

*Ex-Autosport now McLaren PR guru Steve Cooper?

Hamilton needs to ride out the storm- James Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/hamilton-needs-to-ride-out-the-storm/)

ArrowsFA1
11th September 2011, 07:39
IMHO the problem with Lewis is...
...that journalists have to write something. Is what they write accurate? Only Lewis knows for sure.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy watching him race and accept that he makes mistakes just like everyone else.

Daniel
11th September 2011, 07:50

What a moronic statement. One which I feel absolutely no need to counter at all.

Daniel
11th September 2011, 07:51
...that journalists have to write something. Is what they write accurate?

Is that not what I was saying?

steveaki13
11th September 2011, 08:38
What ever you think of Hamilton and whether he eventually gets remembered as one of the best, looking at all the threads and posts about him.

Their is no doubt he will be one of the most remembered and talked about drivers.

What would we talk about without him.

If the internet and forums were around in the 80's and early 90's then I think Andrea De Cesaris would have been a similar Forum star, always crashing and getting involved in something.

Knock-on
11th September 2011, 09:30
What a moronic statement. One which I feel absolutely no need to counter at all.

Lighten up Daniel. It was obviously a joke about how your statement could be read 2 different ways.

ArrowsFA1
11th September 2011, 11:57
I wonder if Montagny will generate as many threads/comments as Hamilton because he's just made exactly the same move with the same result at Silverstone in the 6hr race as Lewis did at Spa.

Daniel
11th September 2011, 12:38
I wonder if Montagny will generate as many threads/comments as Hamilton because he's just made exactly the same move with the same result at Silverstone in the 6hr race as Lewis did at Spa.

Well considering I was watching the Rugby...... :)

ioan
11th September 2011, 15:00

I wonder if Montagny's fans are hyping him as the best thing since sliced bread though? I guess not.

Lewis showed today that he hasn't got what it takes anymore, while having a hard time fighting a 42 years old whom most of Lewis fans wanted to see leave F1 since his return.

Keep it up Lewis, this is what I want to see from you, nothing more.

ioan
11th September 2011, 15:13
I'm doing my best to to make this a bash fest! :)

Malbec
12th September 2011, 13:17
Lifestyle or not, but I'm not sure, how does it affect his driving unless for some reason he is incapable of switching his mind off from "everyday issues" during racing, which I think all top drivers are capable of doing, otherwise they wouldn't be top drivers. Maybe you can argue that due to lifestyle Lewis hasn't slept well enough at night or whatever and hence his concentration/etc isn't at maximum level. But this is something I'm unable to comment at. As we remember, not long ago there were also discussions about Kimi's lifestyle and its effect on F1. So these are things that are very hard to judge for an outsider.

I think we need to remember that these guys are all extremely sheltered young individuals who have to deal with a sport where decisions made in microseconds are dissected both by the team, the rest of the sport and fans for decades afterwards.

In addition he was brought up by his father to race, and its never a good idea in terms of building up a healthy father/son relationship for the father to put all his eggs in one basket and sacrifice his life for his son's sporting career. Antony Hamilton was essentially living his dreams through his son, who knew little other than having every part of his life micromanaged for him. Now that they've split, initially acrimoniously, Lewis is out trying to find his own place in his own world and establish himself and his own identity. I'm not surprised his head isn't quite focused singlemindedly on racing.

SGWilko
12th September 2011, 13:21
I think we need to remember that these guys are all extremely sheltered young individuals who have to deal with a sport where decisions made in microseconds are dissected both by the team, the rest of the sport and fans for decades afterwards.

In addition he was brought up by his father to race, and its never a good idea in terms of building up a healthy father/son relationship for the father to put all his eggs in one basket and sacrifice his life for his son's sporting career. Antony Hamilton was essentially living his dreams through his son, who knew little other than having every part of his life micromanaged for him. Now that they've split, initially acrimoniously, Lewis is out trying to find his own place in his own world and establish himself and his own identity. I'm not surprised his head isn't quite focused singlemindedly on racing.

Indeed - and I recall JB went through a period where he was criticised for living the playboy lifestyle while not fully concentrating on the racing. Look at JB now, world champion driver, in a very good team who think a lot of him, probably driving the best he has ever driven and in a good place generally.

Things like that take time to realise and come only with time and experience.

Daniel
12th September 2011, 13:29

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I've been trying to say in this thread.

Mia 01
12th September 2011, 15:32
I know that Mia.

Not helping himself, is he.

Mia 01
12th September 2011, 21:02
Not really Mia but he's one of the only people on here if not the only one who agrees with your posts so I wouldn't stick the boot in. ;)

It´s quit usual that people overestimate their own ability.

Have you forget that a quote is easy to follow on the posts above?

kfzmeister
13th September 2011, 04:52
But IMHO if Lewis had done 2 years in a Force india or whatever then I think he'd be a better driver now. Look at the level that Vettel is performing at now ;)

He'd be another Kobayashi. Nothing more, nothing less!

The Black Knight
13th September 2011, 08:58
I think he's proven his worth and has shown why he is one of the best in the sport today.

He has more than shown his worth. In 2009 he won two races in a heap of crap McLaren. He will bounce back. I still believe him to be the quickest driver out there on raw pace. He just needs to bring back his consistency. Every driver goes through bad phases. He will bounce back.

Daniel
13th September 2011, 09:31
He has more than shown his worth. In 2009 he won two races in a heap of crap McLaren. He will bounce back. I still believe him to be the quickest driver out there on raw pace. He just needs to bring back his consistency. Every driver goes through bad phases. He will bounce back.

I wouldn't say the 2009 car was a heap of crap in the true sense. It wasn't great but it was driveable. He will bounce back for sure, I think he just needs to bounce back in the right direction and Vettel will have company. I just don't want to see Lewis wasting his talent with silly driving like we've seen over the last year.

The Black Knight
13th September 2011, 09:41
I wouldn't say the 2009 car was a heap of crap in the true sense. It wasn't great but it was driveable. He will bounce back for sure, I think he just needs to bounce back in the right direction and Vettel will have company. I just don't want to see Lewis wasting his talent with silly driving like we've seen over the last year.

Well at the start of 2009 it was and what he did in Australia, at one stage running 3rd I think, was pretty impressive. He more than proved to me that year that not alone can he win in the best car but he can win in a car that isn't the best out there as well.

The driving we've witnessed over the past year has been erratic from Lewis at times, yes I agree but he has also been quite unlucky. It's a bad patch. I have no doubt that the Lewis we've seen over the past number of years will be back. In fact, he seems to have his head in a better place since Nurburgring so, his mistake in Belgium aside, this could be the beginning of his return to the top. Fingers crossed.

Daniel
13th September 2011, 09:54
Well at the start of 2009 it was and what he did in Australia, at one stage running 3rd I think, was pretty impressive. He more than proved to me that year that not alone can he win in the best car but he can win in a car that isn't the best out there as well.

The driving we've witnessed over the past year has been erratic from Lewis at times, yes I agree but he has also been quite unlucky. It's a bad patch. I have no doubt that the Lewis we've seen over the past number of years will be back. In fact, he seems to have his head in a better place since Nurburgring so, his mistake in Belgium aside, this could be the beginning of his return to the top. Fingers crossed.

We'll see. THe problem sofar with Lewis has been inconsistency. Lewis at the top of his game would probably be still in the running for the title this year. Top of his game Lewis would have destroyed Jenson as well, but it's been rather different. Don't get me wrong, I want to see him do well because when he's doing well he's exciting to watch, but I don't think Lewis has what it takes to be the next Schuey when it comes to results. I think sofar Vettel seems to have the right stuff.

The Black Knight
13th September 2011, 11:25
We'll see. THe problem sofar with Lewis has been inconsistency. Lewis at the top of his game would probably be still in the running for the title this year. Top of his game Lewis would have destroyed Jenson as well, but it's been rather different. Don't get me wrong, I want to see him do well because when he's doing well he's exciting to watch, but I don't think Lewis has what it takes to be the next Schuey when it comes to results. I think sofar Vettel seems to have the right stuff.

I think both Hamilton and Vettel have what it takes to win many championships. It seems likely now that Vettel will at least get 4 titles. He is only 24 and easily has another 12 years racing ahead of him. If RBR continue to provide him with the car he can definitely do it and he definitely has what it takes to match Schuey's records in the best car. But likewise with Hamilton, both are world champions, both have what it takes. Hamilton is being made luck worse due to McLaren not providing him with the car. If he had the RBR I guarantee you he would be heading for title number 2 right now. He is also the only known Alonso beater on the grid and he beat him plenty of times in his rookie season. That's no easy feat beating a two time WDC in your rookie year.

I believe both Hamilton and Vettel have similar levels of talent. We currently have too little info to decide which driver is actually better. Maybe neither is better than the other. Time will answer our questions. Personally, I feel that, if in the same car, Hamilton would own Vettel but, as I say, we just don't know yet :) It's a gut instinct I have rather than anything concrete based on fact. At the moment one can argue both ways in favour of either driver.

ArrowsFA1
13th September 2011, 11:40
Lewis at the top of his game would probably be still in the running for the title this year. Top of his game Lewis would have destroyed Jenson as well, but it's been rather different. Don't get me wrong, I want to see him do well because when he's doing well he's exciting to watch, but I don't think Lewis has what it takes to be the next Schuey when it comes to results. I think sofar Vettel seems to have the right stuff.
I don't think McLaren have a car good enough to challenge for the title this year, and that's one of the reasons Lewis has made some mistakes. He has the confidence (some would call it arrogance) to know he can win, but if the car isn't consistently capable of winning then frustration can creep in.

I certainly thought that he would prove faster than Button at McLaren, and over a lap I still think he is, but Jenson is more likely to drive within the limits of the car in comparison with Lewis and this season that seems to be the difference between them, and it's only a small difference.

Vettel, on the other hand, has the dominant car and with that comes confidence and less of a need to push the limits. There's no doubt he has driven superbly this year but (and he acknowledges this) it's all about the package not the individual.

IMHO it's far too early in either Hamilton's (84 races) or Vettel's (75 races) careers to be making comparisons with anyone, least of all Schumacher (282 races). There are far too many variables, and far to many races and championships yet to come.

Daniel
13th September 2011, 11:43
I think both Hamilton and Vettel have what it takes to win many championships. It seems likely now that Vettel will at least get 4 titles. He is only 24 and easily has another 12 years racing ahead of him. If RBR continue to provide him with the car he can definitely do it and he definitely has what it takes to match Schuey's records in the best car. But likewise with Hamilton, both are world champions, both have what it takes. Hamilton is being made luck worse due to McLaren not providing him with the car. If he had the RBR I guarantee you he would be heading for title number 2 right now. He is also the only known Alonso beater on the grid and he beat him plenty of times in his rookie season. That's no easy feat beating a two time WDC in your rookie year.

I believe both Hamilton and Vettel have similar levels of talent. We currently have too little info to decide which driver is actually better. Maybe neither is better than the other. Time will answer our questions. Personally, I feel that, if in the same car, Hamilton would own Vettel but, as I say, we just don't know yet It's a gut instinct I have rather than anything concrete based on fact. At the moment one can argue both ways in favour of either driver.

I think there are multiple ways to argue as to who is better. Thing is Hamilton beat Alonso who beat Massa who almost won Hamilton's title in 2008 so the argument kind of goes around in circles there ;) Thing is they all have different cars, different frames of mind at different times and cars which tend to suit one driver more than another at times. Had Rubens had the brakes he wanted back in 2009 at the start of the season it's entirely possible that he would have been champion that year :)

Let's just agree that they're all good ;) :p : :up:

The Black Knight
13th September 2011, 11:47
I think there are multiple ways to argue as to who is better. Thing is Hamilton beat Alonso who beat Massa who almost won Hamilton's title in 2008 so the argument kind of goes around in circles there ;) Thing is they all have different cars, different frames of mind at different times and cars which tend to suit one driver more than another at times. Had Rubens had the brakes he wanted back in 2009 at the start of the season it's entirely possible that he would have been champion that year :)

Let's just agree that they're all good ;) :p : :up:

Ahahahaha, yeah right.

I agree, they are all good, except Mr. Excuses Barrichello.

Daniel
13th September 2011, 11:52
Ahahahaha, yeah right.

I agree, they are all good, except Mr. Excuses Barrichello.

Well he did improve massively when he got the Brembo's.

wedge
14th September 2011, 18:18
True enough I guess. IMHO a driver should also do a year or two of an apprenticeship in F1 also. Of course Hamilton's 2 best years were his 2 first years so perhaps for Lewis that example might not work......

What good would that have done?

Alonso did his apprenticeship with Minardi race seat and Renault test seat but that didn't stop him turming into a c***.

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 01:15
All, in all, it´s not topsience. Kimi´in Williams. But Lewis, he needs it to.

The next Damon Hil. That´s if he nots careful.

Mia 01
24th September 2011, 01:23
And, the reputation, the fastest will go to Kimi.

Dave B
24th September 2011, 15:54
All, in all, it´s not topsience. Kimi´in Williams. But Lewis, he needs it to.

The next Damon Hil. That´s if he nots careful.
Sock fish trousers undersold notwithstanding monkey management throttle, necessary thong trap puzzlement. Italy.

Daniel
24th September 2011, 16:18
Sock fish trousers undersold notwithstanding monkey management throttle, necessary thong trap puzzlement. Italy.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does these intentional nonsensical gibberish replies to unintentional nonsensical gibberish posts :D

Daniel
24th September 2011, 16:20
have to say Hamilton showed his stupidity yet again by trying to overtake Massa on his out lap. Could have been yet another silly crash and another penalty and for what?

ioan
24th September 2011, 16:25
have to say Hamilton showed his stupidity yet again by trying to overtake Massa on his out lap. Could have been yet another silly crash and another penalty and for what?

Well spotted. Now get your best coat available.

Daniel
24th September 2011, 16:32
Well spotted. Now get your best coat available.

Ioan, they can go make love to themselves if they want to :) I think deep down even Lewis' biggest fans know that a lot of the stuff that he does, especially trying to overtake Massa on an outlap in qualifying is stupid. Lewis thinks it was fantastic and that he was being an opportunistic driver, but the guy on pole didn't get involved in that **** and he went faster than anyone else in that qualifying session. Major brainfart from Lewis and his team......

The Black Knight
24th September 2011, 16:32

I have to agree with you on this one. It was a massive facepalm moment. I have no idea what he was thinking. There was plenty of time for him back off and leave Massa and Alonso go. Ridiculous. Meanwhile behind Vettel used his head, got a clean lap. That's why he is about to become a two time world champion.

ioan
24th September 2011, 16:35
Ioan, they can go make love to themselves if they want to :) ...

;)

Daniel
24th September 2011, 18:00
I have to agree with you on this one. It was a massive facepalm moment. I have no idea what he was thinking. There was plenty of time for him back off and leave Massa and Alonso go. Ridiculous. Meanwhile behind Vettel used his head, got a clean lap. That's why he is about to become a two time world champion.

That's exactly my point :) Some people might think I don't want Lewis to succeed and I'm happy to see him do badly. I simply wish he'd make some more intelligent choices and he'd be doing much better IMHO. He's got the talent for sure, but unlike Vettel he doesn't seem to have the head for it.

The Black Knight
24th September 2011, 18:20
That's exactly my point :) Some people might think I don't want Lewis to succeed and I'm happy to see him do badly. I simply wish he'd make some more intelligent choices and he'd be doing much better IMHO. He's got the talent for sure, but unlike Vettel he doesn't seem to have the head for it.

Well, in fairness, you do seem biased against him at times. But I agree with you on this one for sure, he simply did not use his head. He used to use his head. I'm not sure what has happened to him this year. He'll bounce back though, for sure.

Daniel
24th September 2011, 20:53
Well, in fairness, you do seem biased against him at times. But I agree with you on this one for sure, he simply did not use his head. He used to use his head. I'm not sure what has happened to him this year. He'll bounce back though, for sure.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm biased :)

wedge
26th September 2011, 16:25

Or he could be stuck behind a past-it Massa and have his lap ruined.

Knock-on
26th September 2011, 16:37
Or he could be stuck behind a past-it Massa and have his lap ruined.

Massa was floating about like a fart in a trance.

They were not in a race situation so Massa should have let him past or sped up. F1 cannot continue to allow slow drivers to dictate pace. Crap or get off the pot.

Daniel
26th September 2011, 17:16
Massa was floating about like a fart in a trance.

They were not in a race situation so Massa should have let him past or sped up. F1 cannot continue to allow slow drivers to dictate pace. Crap or get off the pot.

I like that saying. Thing was Massa was trying to give himself some clean air. IMHO I don't see a problem with what massa did there at all.

MJW
26th September 2011, 17:28
I dont think that Hamilton has the same ability as Vettel / Button / Kimi/ Alonso to process information, - remember the red light in Canada 2007 or 8? I think he should have been a footballer (if you know what I mean)
Also I think he could enjoy the life of an Indy racer, move to USA be with Nicole and hang out with the P Diddy and Hollywood and music industry set. MTV cribs suits Hamilton, I don't think he will come close to Vettel in stringing championships together, he is not as complete as Vettel / Alonso or Button as drivers, and I also don't think he can provide the technical feedback and development that those 3 can.

Knock-on
26th September 2011, 17:31
I like that saying. Thing was Massa was trying to give himself some clean air. IMHO I don't see a problem with what massa did there at all.

So, if Massa was trying to get some clear air, how come Hamilton managed to go past and find it. Massa was dawdling and got what he deserved.

truefan72
26th September 2011, 18:08
I dont think that Hamilton has the same ability as Vettel / Button / Kimi/ Alonso to process information, - remember the red light in Canada 2007 or 8? I think he should have been a footballer (if you know what I mean)
Also I think he could enjoy the life of an Indy racer, move to USA be with Nicole and hang out with the P Diddy and Hollywood and music industry set. MTV cribs suits Hamilton, I don't think he will come close to Vettel in stringing championships together, he is not as complete as Vettel / Alonso or Button as drivers, and I also don't think he can provide the technical feedback and development that those 3 can.

the most absurd post to date
there is another word I would use....

wedge
26th September 2011, 18:17

And in the process compromising tyre temperature.

Daniel
26th September 2011, 18:36
So, if Massa was trying to get some clear air, how come Hamilton managed to go past and find it. Massa was dawdling and got what he deserved.

Does that even make sense?

Daniel
26th September 2011, 18:36
And in the process compromising tyre temperature.

Those drivers all going out nose to tail didn't make any sense. It was amateur hour all round.

Daniel
26th September 2011, 18:49
Lets pack a few generalizations in there for good measure eh? Yeah I live in Wales, everyone is wearing shoes and not a rugby ball in sight and I've have been digging leeks up all morning too boyo lol. As if. :dozey:

Overreaction of the day award goes to..... :p

You have to admit that Lewis does seem to enjoy the glitz and glamour.

MJW
26th September 2011, 18:53
the most absurd post to date
there is another word I would use....So how do you answer all the stupid errors then? You do remember Hamilton driving into the back of a stationary Kimi when the red light was on?

MJW
26th September 2011, 19:14
A loss of concentration in that respect and to my knowledge Lewis has done that once???? His team were on the radio asking him to change settings on his steering wheel and he ran into Kimi. Nico Rosberg did the same thing if I'm not mistaken yet it hasn't stuck to his reputation has it? Do you know why that is?
Lewis does seem to be susceptible to loss of concentration. That was the purpose of my original post, he also recently told his team not to talk to him on the radio whilst he is racing. I have read that drivers like Vettel, Alonso and Button have been part of making evolutionary changes to strategy when driving in a race. I cant remember exactly but I read that in autosport, F1 racing and in Joe Saward's blogs.

MJW
26th September 2011, 20:44
henners 88 You clearly are a Lewis fanboy, and are selective in your comments. I will ask you some simple questions, why has Lewis been called dangerous by other drivers? why has Lewis been summoned to see the stewards so often, why when listening to the team radio does Lewis sometimes come over as being disrespectful to his engineering team?

truefan72
26th September 2011, 21:03
You've just done yourself no favours whatsoever with that attempted insult. Do you really expect me to answer your questions after an opening line like that? I'll quit while I am ahead thanks.. ;)

I just ignored the guy after reading his continued posts.
I could have gone on and on with examples of MSC, Alonso, Kimi, Massa, Vettel, Webber and others doing far worse than what hamilton did, but what's the point?
At some point logic and reason cease to become criteria and are replaced with "other" motivations