PDA

View Full Version : Showing Race Control on media....good idea or bad?

Mark in Oshawa
7th September 2011, 19:32
Showing the braintrust (such as it is) of Indy car is the new way Randy is trying to deflect the pressure on Brian Barnhart and company. Why this was done I suppose is a good idea if you want positive PR for being "open". I guess the thinking is if we can see them hard at work staring at their monitor wall, we might understand how difficult their job is. Well, unless they show all of the coverage, including him calling for a green flag when a safety truck is on track going counter race (did anyone start hollering for a wave off or yellow flags?) then this is a joke.

I would have loved to hear his rationale for starting New Hampshire on a wet track. I mean really....will see things like that? Surely not.....

Bad idea...bad idea to deflect the reality that Brian is in a place he shouldn't be, running races.

Not sure who succeeds him but he has to go....

Jag_Warrior
7th September 2011, 20:14
Remember that scene in The Wizard of Oz, when they pulled the curtain back and it was just a crazy, old dude yanking on some levers and pushing buttons to create an illusion of greatness?

Same thing here, IMO. How does it help the fans to see these goofs just standing there? I mean, it's not as if we believed they didn't exist. That was the problem: we KNEW they existed! OK, so now we can see them. How does that help???

Just like George before him, Randy Bernard needs to fire Brian Barnhart. Plain & simple. By his (continued) incompetence, Barnhart has overshadowed the on track competition and made it about himself. When that happens, week in and week out, it's time for the guy to go. When it's been going on for about a decade, it's a decision that's well overdue. To let it continue just cements the (growing) belief that Bernard is also incompetent.

SarahFan
7th September 2011, 21:04
It was rediculous .... Set up a camera with an Internet feed and let any interested parties tune in...

What they showed on Sunday and was a waste of time.... And insulting to us diehards

Wilf
7th September 2011, 21:29
It was rediculous .... Set up a camera with an Internet feed and let any interested parties tune in...

What they showed on Sunday and was a waste of time.... And insulting to us diehards

I haven't heard anyone describe what they saw.

SarahFan
7th September 2011, 21:49
They showed the backs of Brian Tony Al and one other guy for about 45 seconds....

That was it

00steven
7th September 2011, 23:43
Those clowns probably need a camera on them at all times.

Marbles
7th September 2011, 23:50
It was a odd shot of the three backs but I did notice one had his ears covered, one had his eyes covered....

With the new control room transparency I expected more than that. During that inexplicably long caution I expected to at least see a shot of them playing Go Fish or when Briscoe was penalized I thought for sure some coin flipping and a call to Roger may have been shown.

Chris R
8th September 2011, 00:38
A little foreshadowing of surprise element for Vegas race - race cars will have to avoid safety vehicle running in opposite direction on racing line....... :p :

SarahFan
8th September 2011, 01:12
I'm half I'm the only one who thought the brief glimpse was ... Well not much

The thing is they simply didn't show anything...... For anyone who understands what they were seeing they(we) know we didn't see anything..... And if you were a casual observer you were probably left wondering why in the world they were showing 4 guys backs

Why Indycan insists on doing everything 1/2as s is beyond me

DanicaFan
8th September 2011, 04:39
Remember that scene in The Wizard of Oz, when they pulled the curtain back and it was just a crazy, old dude yanking on some levers and pushing buttons to create an illusion of greatness?

Same thing here, IMO. How does it help the fans to see these goofs just standing there? I mean, it's not as if we believed they didn't exist. That was the problem: we KNEW they existed! OK, so now we can see them. How does that help???

Just like George before him, Randy Bernard needs to fire Brian Barnhart. Plain & simple. By his (continued) incompetence, Barnhart has overshadowed the on track competition and made it about himself. When that happens, week in and week out, it's time for the guy to go. When it's been going on for about a decade, it's a decision that's well overdue. To let it continue just cements the (growing) belief that Bernard is also incompetent.

All I can say is hilarious but true....LOL

Wilf
9th September 2011, 02:17
I'm half I'm the only one who thought the brief glimpse was ... Well not much

The thing is they simply didn't show anything...... For anyone who understands what they were seeing they(we) know we didn't see anything..... And if you were a casual observer you were probably left wondering why in the world they were showing 4 guys backs

Why Indycan insists on doing everything 1/2as s is beyond me

If there is no sound, I believe you have correctly classified the level of their effort.

SarahFan
9th September 2011, 04:02
You guys do realize that during a race, if there is nothing happening at the time requiring Race Control's input, that there is not much for them to do? Sort of like firemen who spend much of their time sitting around waiting for the bell to ring. How many of you have spent any time in Race Control at any race?

Did you see the segment starter?

Mark in Oshawa
9th September 2011, 04:34
Starter, why show us at all? Unlike most of these guys, I know what should be going on and what goes on in Race Control. I worked on the other side of a glass window from them at Mosport for years, and was in race control more than once. What I saw was 3 guys watching a TV, and while I have time for Cotman, I don't think Al Unser grasps the magnitude of how you officiate, and it is obvious Brian doesn't.

Since they showed us but a few minutes of nothing being said or done, all it does is make us really think what we already know, that BB is out of touch up there. He has been over his head for years.

Wilf
9th September 2011, 19:49
You guys do realize that during a race, if there is nothing happening at the time requiring Race Control's input, that there is not much for them to do? Sort of like firemen who spend much of their time sitting around waiting for the bell to ring. How many of you have spent any time in Race Control at any race?
I have on too many occasions and that is why I asked about the audio. Without the audio, the Verizon signal is worthless. :confused: