PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauges

Whyzars
6th September 2011, 13:59
A vehicle transmitting its fuel load back to the pits is a form of a driver aid. The pits are able to instruct the driver the optimal engine setting to finish the race with the available fuel.

If a fuel gauge is only available to the driver wouldn't that give us closer racing? The driver alone manages the engine fuel settings and will conserve fuel throughout the race rather than in a computer calculated fashion for a few laps.

F1 has removed driver aids in the past. Pit assisted engine settings are a driver aid that should probably be removed.

Bagwan
6th September 2011, 14:20
Whilst I agree with you on the point that they are aided in strategy , I think it would be rather hard to police in that way .
A huge amount of telemetry comes into the garage from the car , all effecting strategy to some degree , but some of those parameters are required from a safety point of view .

Tire pressure is the first one to come to my mind .

Mind you , in the past , you had to listen carefully to your engine to make it to the end , and watch your fronts while the pit watched your rear tires , and they still managed some pretty fine racing .

janneppi
6th September 2011, 15:29
A vehicle transmitting its fuel load back to the pits is a form of a driver aid. The pits are able to instruct the driver the optimal engine setting to finish the race with the available fuel.

I thought it's primarely used to inform a driver he needs to let their faster/ more favoured team mate past? ;)

Mark
6th September 2011, 15:45
A driver could still radio fuel levels back to the pits so it would make zero difference

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 19:27
Couldn't they just do away with different engine map settings? That way, it is entirely up to the driver to feed the car the correct amount of throttle at different points during the race. Not entirely convinced it would enhance the racing however.