PDA

View Full Version : Is Lotus Going To Have An Engine?

DBell
4th September 2011, 15:42
There was interesting read from Marshall Pruett on the IndyCar engine situation for next year. It seems no one at Lotus is answering or returning calls and emails. Randy is going to England to see what is going on. I always felt the Lotus engine program was iffy and a "I'll believe it when I see it" type of thing. After reading this, I don't think the odds of seeing Lotus-Judd next year are very good.

AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: High Anxiety Over 2012 Engine Supply (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-high-anxiety-over-2012-engine-supply/)

SoCalPVguy
4th September 2011, 19:40
Agreed ! I have always believed that there will be no Lotus engine, Lotus would not "answer the bell". Reinforced by the fact that the "lotus" KV Racing team just signed up for Chevy engines. Lotus says they will have an engine for a dyno test "In November" but frankly I don't believe it yet and wonder when they get one in a car for sufficient testing before next years races. I also believe that if Ford sees progress in Indy car in 2012 that it is possible that Ford will enter the series, possibly with cosworth in 2013. Unfortunately due to limited engine supply and high cost of new chassis, I foresee only about 20 full time ICS entries next year, down from this year's 28.

anthonyvop
4th September 2011, 21:09
Months ago word was spreading about Lotus and how they were making all these announcements and commitments in various series and yet they weren't hiring or expanding.

FIAT1
5th September 2011, 14:58
I'm puzzeled why not Cosworth? Anyone know?

DBell
5th September 2011, 15:38
I'm puzzeled why not Cosworth? Anyone know?

Kalkhoven had said Cosworth would be interested, but only if it made financial sense and that would take a manufacturer to badge it. I'm guessing that the Lotus budget was not enough for Cosworth. Perhaps they have hopes for a more attractive manufacturer down the road. (Ford would be nice!)

Marbles
5th September 2011, 17:08
Perhaps they have hopes for a more attractive manufacturer down the road. (Ford would be nice!)

Then all would be right with the world. :)

Years past you could count on seeing a Ford running a serious effort in virtually every race series on the planet. Seeing as how strong they are doing financially -- due in no small part from cutting back their involvement in racing and sponsorship -- you would think some folks at Ford would be interested in expanding their involvement beyond NASCAR.

anthonyvop
5th September 2011, 17:25
Then all would be right with the world. :)

Years past you could count on seeing a Ford running a serious effort in virtually every race series on the planet. Seeing as how strong they are doing financially -- due in no small part from cutting back their involvement in racing and sponsorship -- you would think some folks at Ford would be interested in expanding their involvement beyond NASCAR.

Ford didn't really cut back on racing sponsorship...They just redirected it to where they think it can do the most good. They got out of F1 which was a smart move for ford. Sold their interest in Cosworth. Really upped their involvement in Rally and rally cross, redirected their NASCAR program to include events, really invested in NHRA and jumped into Drifting.

If you want FORD in the ICS go talk to Jack Roush and bring your Checkbook.

Jared East
5th September 2011, 19:34
Ford didn't really cut back on racing sponsorship...They just redirected it to where they think it can do the most good. They got out of F1 which was a smart move for ford. Sold their interest in Cosworth. Really upped their involvement in Rally and rally cross, redirected their NASCAR program to include events, really invested in NHRA and jumped into Drifting.

If you want FORD in the ICS go talk to Jack Roush and bring your Checkbook.

I think you are probably right. The only chance of hope for Ford is how hard they have been pushing their Eco Boost engines. Roush-Yates last year annoyed they had started a ALMS Eco Boost P2 motor program, no team bought one however. I wonder how hard it would be for Roush-Yates to covert the P2 turbo v6 to a Indycar turbo v6 and maybe they can make some of their money back.

Mad_Hatter
9th September 2011, 03:20
LOTUS ACTIVE AT BALTIMORE

Lotus Indy Project Manager Olivier Picquenot popped his head up after the Baltimore event to report he and his team had met with a number of teams last weekend and that they are confident positive things will happen.

&#8220] today...

Lotus is still active. (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-baltimore-rewind/P3)