PDA

View Full Version : UK TV covrerage AGAIN....Sorry

MAX_THRUST
3rd September 2011, 12:24
Surely the powers at be in Indy Car must have heard about the BBC F1 and Sky TV deal by now. Will this make Indy Car Bosses realise that if they could get their series onto a free to air channel things could be better for the series. ie: Five US, Dave, Channel 5 or any other channel you can think of.

How much does Indy Car get paid to have Sky have the exclusive, and does the value of that outway the benefit of casual veiwers on free to air channels that might get into watching the series, especially with such a strong British driver line up? I know i seem very anti sky tv, and I am, but it doesn't take a genius to realise more people would watch Indy Cars if it were free in the UK. How long did sky sign there exclusive to show the Indy 500 for? They just happened to pick up the rest of the series because of the split.

If you know the answers please let me know.

jwhite9185
4th September 2011, 10:25
I seem to remember that when champ car was on Eurosport, the coverage was terrible! Used to delay/cancel live races to show a repeat of weightlifting or something along those lines. At least with Sky, its on when they say it will be and they do a pretty good job with presenting. Only time I remember them not showing a race they said they would was Brazil this year.

I feel if they put it on CH5 it might get relegated to 3am on a Wednesday morning, like when they used to have the Nascar.

Mark
4th September 2011, 11:39
IndyCar has nowhere near the prestige of F1 in the UK.

In fact you'd have a hard time in the high street finding anyone who even knows what IndyCar is, nevermind want to watch it.

Whereas everyone knows F1 but still that's not enough to keep it free to air.

Nikki Katz
4th September 2011, 13:23
I know a number of people who are well into motorsport who thought that the Indy 500 was a Nascar event, and have never heard of Franchitti even though he's British...

I don't think that IndyCar will ever be anywhere near the size of F1 in the UK, but perhaps if they looked again at some of the stupid rulings and stopped trying to be Nascar then it would be a little more respected internationally.