PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic overtaking (not about Lewis Hamilton)

Daniel
29th August 2011, 18:42
So what did people think of the overtaking on the weekend? Third time lucky eh?

ioan
29th August 2011, 19:12
Amazing move, I was really impressed to see Webber do that especially to Alonso! Most probably the overtaking move of the year.

Robinho
29th August 2011, 19:40
yes, there was some great overtaking, Webber on Alonso included, but also several of Button's moves (on Petrov and Perez, on Massa to name a couple). Alonso and Hamilton on Massa was very good too, realise its broken the thread now I've mentioned Hamilton, but it was an overtake and it was good wheel to wheel action (neither driver crashed either!)

Daniel
29th August 2011, 19:47
yes, there was some great overtaking, Webber on Alonso included, but also several of Button's moves (on Petrov and Perez, on Massa to name a couple). Alonso and Hamilton on Massa was very good too, realise its broken the thread now I've mentioned Hamilton, but it was an overtake and it was good wheel to wheel action (neither driver crashed either!)

In terms of the amount of quality overtakes surely Button rates highly, but for me Webber's rates right up there with some of the best I've seen ever.

Robinho
29th August 2011, 19:51
Webbers was the stand out move of the race, but I too think Button's number of quality overtakes at various points of the track against some decent opposition was also very impressive. The Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Rosberg battle was very good with a number of positions swapped with no tears.

Daniel
29th August 2011, 21:24
BBC Sport - Martin Brundle on Mark Webber's stunning overtake at Spa (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14711653.stm) :)

555-04Q2
30th August 2011, 10:22
Vettel going past Rosberg on the outside line was also special/brave.

The Black Knight
30th August 2011, 10:34
BBC Sport - Martin Brundle on Mark Webber's stunning overtake at Spa (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14711653.stm) :)

Drive of the day to Jenson Button? Fair enough, tis a close one between him and Schuey, but drive of the day must go to the guy that started 24th, made up 19 places, and beat his teammate that started 5th on the grid, not the guy that made up ten places. Plus I'd bet money that Schuey made more overtakes than Button did.

F1boat
30th August 2011, 11:06
Jenson drove mighty fine, but actually there were great performances in that race by many drivers. Because the track is awesome and the drivers enjoy themselves tremendously. Spa forever!

Daniel
30th August 2011, 11:19
Drive of the day to Jenson Button? Fair enough, tis a close one between him and Schuey, but drive of the day must go to the guy that started 24th, made up 19 places, and beat his teammate that started 5th on the grid, not the guy that made up ten places. Plus I'd bet money that Schuey made more overtakes than Button did.

Well I certainly wouldn't agree with them that Button was the best, but remember that it's the BBC and I imagine the viewers are generally going to want to see a British driver voted best of the day where possible. I think the fact that we saw more of Button's overtakes than Schuey's would also play a part. I'm sure by the end of the first lap Michael had made something silly like nearly 10 overtakes. I'm sure German TV said that Vettel or Schumacher were the top drivers.

AndyL
30th August 2011, 19:02

I'd guess they probably made a similar number, because Button ended up a few places behind Schumacher after pitting for a new nosecone, but ultimately got back ahead of him.

i_max2k2
30th August 2011, 21:02
I'd guess they probably made a similar number, because Button ended up a few places behind Schumacher after pitting for a new nosecone, but ultimately got back ahead of him.

And lets not forget that their hardly was any difference between Button's Mclaren and Schumi's Merc. :D

Daniel
31st August 2011, 07:54
I'm not sure if the BBC get a choice of which camera feeds they get during a race so the fact we saw more of Button would be down to FOM I would imagine. Schuey was definately driver of the race for me and wish we had seen more of him.

Yup. I wasn't saying that we saw more of Button because he's British, I just meant that because he was closer to the front we saw more of him than Schuey.

Big Ben
31st August 2011, 15:42
Spa forever!

yeah...Spa forever every other year... that greedy little b@a$t@rd. I watched little fockers the other day... I had had the impression it's something about people like BE.