PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane traveling along the East coast of the US of A

race aficionado
26th August 2011, 03:48
It's the big news right now and it's tough to grasp the seriousness of news now days because the 24 hour news cycle loves the drama that could happen . . . .

But any way . . . . people are starting to brace for the possibilities of it hitting or swiping the island of Manhattan. - not a common scene for us New Yorkers.

Any way . . . let's see what the news hounds have for us tomorrow - it could all fizzle
. . . . or not.

:s mokin:

Roamy
26th August 2011, 06:22
race

it will be like a little pissant when it gets to you. but a good excuse to by booze.

airshifter
26th August 2011, 06:25
If I keep power I'll update you on what we get down this way Race. I've been through a number of hurricanes and a monster typhoon when in Okinawa. The bad thing is you never know for sure what to prepare for, but if you don't prepare for the worst you could be screwed.

On that note my wife and daughter just left about an hour ago, heading northwest to visit some family mostly out of the storms path. I'll ride it out here so I can minimize any effects of damage on the house.

But having been there, you can't run from the winds or the storm surge unless you do it early. Play it safe my friend.

Daniel
26th August 2011, 08:41
Keep safe airshifter :) Sure it'll be nothing by the time it gets up to you race :)

Eki
26th August 2011, 12:50
First an earthquake, now a hurricane. What next, grasshoppers?

Daniel
26th August 2011, 13:32
First an earthquake, now a hurricane. What next, grasshoppers?

It's the rapture...... at least we known RA won't get left below :)

Retro Formula 1
26th August 2011, 13:43
Be safe guys. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and keep your grab bag happy.

steveaki13
26th August 2011, 19:44
Fingers crossed for all affected, keep safe.

Keep us updated when you can.

race aficionado
26th August 2011, 23:24
For the first time, they will be suspending the subway and bus system tomorrow at noon.
Of course we will know more in the morning but the news people are having a hey day and the tech people are really enjoying making google type graphics showing how the island would look if it got flooded depending on the force of the hurricane as it arrives. For example, the hole where they are building the 9/11 memorial and the new buildings will be a lake and mostly downtown will be looking like Venice.
Gondola salesman will be making a kiling!
:)

Daniel
26th August 2011, 23:27
For the first time, they will be suspending the subway and bus system tomorrow at noon.
Of course we will know more in the morning but the news people are having a hey day and the tech people are really enjoying making google type graphics showing how the island would look if it got flooded depending on the force of the hurricane as it arrives. For example, the hole where they are building the 9/11 memorial and the new buildings will be a lake and mostly downtown will be looking like Venice.
Gondola salesman will be making a kiling!
:)

It's a sign I tell you!

Simpsons: Left Below | MilkandCookies (http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/63687/detail/)

Zeakiwi
26th August 2011, 23:37
I guess there are not so many airboats in NYC as there are in New Orleans Airboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airboat)

Will seadoos and jet skis be a worthwhile substitute ?

Are the storm chasers arriving ?

race aficionado
27th August 2011, 03:15
It is loosing power and will probably be a tropical storm with a lot of wind and water once it gets to the Big Apple.
Flooding will occur but the weakening strength is good news for the trees and buildings and other breakable parts.

Roamy
27th August 2011, 17:57
It is loosing power and will probably be a tropical storm with a lot of wind and water once it gets to the Big Apple.
Flooding will occur but the weakening strength is good news for the trees and buildings and other breakable parts.

Well damage is too be expected but this storm was way over media-hyped. According to them Arizona could flood from this storm. I think generally storms tend to fizzle as they move north due to the temp and distance from the Equatorial Zone.

Daniel
27th August 2011, 17:59
Well damage is too be expected but this storm was way over media-hyped. According to them Arizona could flood from this storm. I think generally storms tend to fizzle as they move north due to the temp and distance from the Equatorial Zone.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. They get their energy from the heat from the water and obviously as you go further from the equator.....

airshifter
28th August 2011, 06:32
We got off really easy on this one. Very minor damage in the area, and lots of rain, but the winds stayed fairly low. The last I saw about a half million or so people in NC and VA without power. Other than the emergency broadcast tornado warnings interupting the F1 qually nothing at all here. I hope the same farther north, as their tides are less favorable.

As for the media coverage and hype, if they took it lightly and thousands of homes were leveled by the worst case storm, the world would be critical of that as well. This is one instance where warning of worst case makes sense. I've been through enough big storms and hurricanes to know that if nothing else they are unpredictable.

As for the energy and heat factor, the gulf stream carries warm waters along the eastern coast of the US, not really turning much away from the coast until the Chesapeake Bay area. Luckily most storm go inland and lose energy before that point. A real worst case storm could retain most of it's energy up to the NC/VA border area and then turn inland and wreak all kinds of havoc.

When I was living on Okinawa we had a close brush with a tyhpoon that went from "fizzling out and likely to die" to a super typhoon with wind speeds in the 160 mph range very quickly.

race aficionado
28th August 2011, 15:12
Well, I saw no cows flying around in circles out my windows - the water surge has not been as bad as expected and thank goodness the winds were not as strong through Manhattan that could have hurt our trees in Central Park. I'm sure reports of damage will be wide spread but again, fortunately, not as bad as predicted.

Daniel
28th August 2011, 15:13
Well, I saw no cows flying around in circles out my windows - the water surge has not been as bad as expected and thank goodness the winds were not as strong through Manhattan that could have hurt our trees in Central Park. I'm sure reports of damage will be wide spread but again, fortunately, not as bad as predicted.

Nice to see yourself and airshifter are all good :)

airshifter
28th August 2011, 22:31
Though the storm was much less than expected, last reports are that at least 18 people have died from storm related incidents. Locally an 11 year old boy was crushed and killed when a large tree went through the apartment they were sleeping in. Quite a few of the other deaths were due to trees also.

A man in NY died of electrocution when doing into water to try to save a child.

Keep these things in mind the next time a small storm comes your way, and remember how much worse it could get.

Daniel
28th August 2011, 23:32
Keep these things in mind the next time a small storm comes your way, and remember how much worse it could get.

Very good advice. Tbh if I were in that situation I would either leave if evactuation was suggested or mandatory, OR I would stay in my house away from windows and such.

555-04Q2
30th August 2011, 06:53
I've never understood why people:

1. Live in tornado prone areas, rebuild their damaged house, for it to be blown down again
2. Live in areas prone to regular hurricanes every year
3. Live in flood zones/next to rivers that flood regularly
4. Live next to volcanoes
5. Live in areas prone to mudslides

etc etc.

:crazy:

Rudy Tamasz
30th August 2011, 07:41

1. Live in tornado prone areas, rebuild their damaged house, for it to be blown down again

etc etc.

The whole U.S. is pretty much a big plain except a couple states in the West. It is very open to storms of all sorts. If you don't want to stay in a dangerous area the safest decision is to move out of the U.S. I don't think, though, too many Americans contemplate moving to Luxembourg.

555-04Q2
30th August 2011, 10:18
The whole U.S. is pretty much a big plain except a couple states in the West. It is very open to storms of all sorts. If you don't want to stay in a dangerous area the safest decision is to move out of the U.S. I don't think, though, too many Americans contemplate moving to Luxembourg.

:laugh: The people in Luxembourg may take exception to that comment :p :

Alexamateo
30th August 2011, 13:55

etc etc.

I'm not sure how serious you are with this post, but you do realize that while there are lots of tornadoes every year, and many houses are damaged/destroyed, the risk for any one particular house is very low, so it is not as if one is rebuilding every year. As far as hurricanes, correct me if I am wrong, but this is the first hurricane to make landfall as a hurricane in the US since 2008, and the first to make landfall on the east coast since 2004. I assume people who do get hit every year in the West Indies and Carribean trade it off with the fact the rest of the time they live in a tropical paradise :p .

Now, I'm with you on the flood areas, but I am sure Anthony would be more than happy to tell you that FEMA stepped in with government subsidized flood insurance after those dastardly private insurance companies refused to underwrite insurance for people living in those areas or would only insure it with prohibitively high rates. This really is an example of unintended consequences of a government program gone awry.

I don't know much about volcanoes or mudslides except to say everybody has got to live somewhere. I am sure some would ask why would one live in a country as crime-ridden as South Africa :crazy: ;)

anthonyvop
30th August 2011, 14:17

etc etc.

Don't forget to add snow.

Because anyplace else is boring.

Actually Hurricanes aren't that bad if your prepared. Been through 16 of them myself. The only one that was a real Bitch was Andrew which was on 1 of 3 Category 5 hurricanes to have hit the USA in recorded history. I look at Hurricanes for what they really are.....Nature's Toilet Flush.

What I avoid are earthquakes. Been through a few. Hate them. One of the many reasons that I live in Miami

race aficionado
30th August 2011, 18:16
With all the drama of what could happen to the Big Apple, nobody paid attention to what could happen to Vermont. They got hit pretty bad.
Vermont and Irene - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=Vermont+and+Irene&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsu&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=tBpdTuPuLbS20AGHpJ2ZAw&ved=0CC0QqAI)

anthonyvop
30th August 2011, 21:00
Ah yes, with global warming and rising tides, the Venice of the south.
:D ;)

I should be so lucky but alas I have more of a chance of seeing a real unicorn than seeings flooding caused by man-made global warming.

Remember the same people who push Global Warming are the same "Scientists" who last week said Hurricane Irene was heading to South Florida and then swore it was gonna be a CAT 2 or 3 Storm hitting NYC.

Daniel
30th August 2011, 21:02
I should be so lucky but alas I have more of a chance to see a real unicorn than there is flooding caused by man-made global warming.

Remember the same people who push Global Warming are the same "Scientist" who last week said Hurricane Irene was heading to South Florida and then swore it was gonna be a CAT 2 or 3 Storm hitting NYC.

What do you know Tony? :p We've had a few cold winters in a row here in Europe, must be global warming. Just like it was global warming in 2006 when we had a summer which lasted alost all the way up to December. Stubbed your toe? GLOBAL WARMING DID IT!!!!!!!

555-04Q2
31st August 2011, 11:26
I don't know much about volcanoes or mudslides except to say everybody has got to live somewhere. I am sure some would ask why would one live in a country as crime-ridden as South Africa :crazy: ;)

Its actually not as bad as people think. It is bad in the townships, but in the suburbs it is still safe. My family and I were almost the victims of one serious crime (a bad one to be honest) but I managed to turn the tables on the criminals and got my own sweet justice, otherwise its just petty crime that I have experienced.

I have a few old school friends that live in London and two of them have been stabbed on the tube, one almost died! There is crime everywhere its just a matter of opinion which country is worse. At least we don't have terrorists trying to blow us the f#ck up all the time :p :

Alexamateo
31st August 2011, 13:45
Its actually not as bad as people think. It is bad in the townships, but in the suburbs it is still safe. My family and I were almost the victims of one serious crime (a bad one to be honest) but I managed to turn the tables on the criminals and got my own sweet justice, otherwise its just petty crime that I have experienced.

I have a few old school friends that live in London and two of them have been stabbed on the tube, one almost died! There is crime everywhere its just a matter of opinion which country is worse. At least we don't have terrorists trying to blow us the f#ck up all the time :p :

As a resident of Memphis, Tennessee, I completely understand that statement. We have a reputation for high crime, but the only time it has ever touched me was when I was a kid and the spare tire was stolen out of our car along with approximately 37¢ in change out of the ash tray. We do have less burglaries than some other places because we have castle doctrine and guns. Every few months, you read about some homeowner blowing away someone breaking into a house, so I'd like to think it keeps the break-in rate down. :p

In keeping with the theme, It's like that with tornadoes. We take precautions and may grab the kids and the dogs and head to the central closet that would serve as our Tornado room (no basements here) once or twice a year, but there have really been only 3 times in my life I thought there was a real chance of being hit by one, but it has thankfully never happened.