PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climb Racing - as fast as formula 1?

identti
25th August 2011, 18:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvjf7CYdSE

The video above shows a hill climb run in a DJ Firehawk with > 1000bhp/ton. It shows how rapid these cars are! 330kg and about 350-400bhp.

Hillclimb cars do not have many restrictions, so could well be faster than F1 cars.

What do you lot think?

inimitablestoo
25th August 2011, 19:06
In terms of outright acceleration from zero, I think they are proven to be quicker. It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison, both on a circuit and up a hill, but I reckon the F1 car would still come out on top on the track.

Mark
25th August 2011, 20:17
F1 cars weigh twice as much but also have twice the power. But I think the telling thing will not be the power but the grip.

Firstly F1 cars have launch control systems but once they get going the downforce will come into play so my bet is that the F1 car would be victorious both on the hill climb and of course on the track.

MrJan
26th August 2011, 22:44
Bear in mind that most of the Top 12 Runoff cars are built by Gould and have Nicholson-McLaren V8s, they're not exactly low tech. Ultimately though you're comparing two different disciplines, the two cars are built to different specs and designed to do different things.

Anywhoo, this is a video fo Scott Moran on the same climb as that Firehawk. Moran is a Top12 Runoff regular and the top runners (when it's dry) are usually similar cars to this:
nE3N4oqEHPU

And this is me at Mamhead last week, considerably slower ;)
GsCYBYINw0c

driveace
31st August 2011, 21:20
Friend of mine does it at Harewood,and from all accounts him and his daughter are quick ,he is a guy called Dale Cordingley,and daughter is Sarah