PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years for Schumi

i_max2k2
25th August 2011, 15:06
Congratulations Schumi! and I'd say still one of the best around.

The Black Knight
25th August 2011, 16:03
Congratulations Schumi! and I'd say still one of the best around.

Indeed.

A legend and a gent. Great to see him still battling on after this many years.

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:48
:up:

Looking forward to a great celebration this week end!

steveaki13
25th August 2011, 20:39
Lets hope he can have a great race back in Belgium and enjoy his 20 years celebration.

F1boat
29th August 2011, 17:39
Awesome driver and an awesome race!

ioan
29th August 2011, 18:01
This was one of those back to front drives that MS is well known for! :up:

i_max2k2
29th August 2011, 18:24
Yep, I wish he had a better car, could have been on the podium.

Robinho
29th August 2011, 19:52
Meh! Call me in another 20 years if he's still racing and I'll see if I canm get excited ;)

Daniel
29th August 2011, 20:53
This was one of those back to front drives that MS is well known for! :up:

Yep. rather like the drive he had in Japan in a year that I can't remember. All I remember is his storming from the back and getting pretty darn close to the front and retiring. Pity we didn't see more of him on the TV screen though. Was nice to see tears of happiness in his eyes rather than the tears of sadness we saw the day before.

The Black Knight
30th August 2011, 10:21
Yep. rather like the drive he had in Japan in a year that I can't remember. All I remember is his storming from the back and getting pretty darn close to the front and retiring. Pity we didn't see more of him on the TV screen though. Was nice to see tears of happiness in his eyes rather than the tears of sadness we saw the day before.

1998. His right rear GoodYear tyre blew out.

555-04Q2
30th August 2011, 10:25
Great drive from The Shoe :up:

Daniel
30th August 2011, 10:31
1998. His right rear GoodYear tyre blew out.

i_max2k2
30th August 2011, 17:55

I cant remember watching the race, but here's a nice article on it -

Schumacher's Greatest Drive? 1998 Japanese GP - By Paul Murtagh - Formula1 Journal (http://www.formula1journal.com/2009/10/schumachers-greatest-drive.html)

I was wondering does anyone have a video of this and some of his other races, spa 92, spa 96 , hungry 98?

Daniel
30th August 2011, 21:23
I cant remember watching the race, but here's a nice article on it -

Schumacher's Greatest Drive? 1998 Japanese GP - By Paul Murtagh - Formula1 Journal (http://www.formula1journal.com/2009/10/schumachers-greatest-drive.html)

I was wondering does anyone have a video of this and some of his other races, spa 92, spa 96 , hungry 98?

It really is one to look out for. It's the best race I've seen Schumacher do.

BMW_320_IRL
30th August 2011, 21:51
F1 would not be the same without him.
He is a Legend in this sport and it is great that he is still driving after 20 years racing !
After all that criticism , Schumi is legendary and he is still quick, but Rosberg is a heavy team mate .

wedge
31st August 2011, 11:21
Still not keen on Schumi's second career in F1. I'd rather he stayed retired but as a Schumi fan I respect his decision for the love of racing.

This puts things in perspective:

BBC Sport - Formula 1: Is the real Michael Schumacher back? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14708906.stm)

Old Schumi probably would've ended up on the podium.

Daniel
31st August 2011, 11:27
Still not keen on Schumi's second career in F1. I'd rather he stayed retired but as a Schumi fan I respect his decision for the love of racing.

BBC Sport - Formula 1: Is the real Michael Schumacher back? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14708906.stm)

Lets put it into perspective though, in 1998 he had a car to be on the front row and even if his wheel hadn't fallen off in quali, he wouldn't have been on the front row.

The Black Knight
31st August 2011, 11:38

I doubt that, not with the current car that he has. 5th, I believe, was the best he could have done in his old or new career with this car. Alonso and the rest were simply too far ahead to suggest that he could have made up that deficit, even if he were the old Schumi. I do agree with that article, whic is very well written, we can't really jump to conclusions about the race at Spa. If he really wants to start beating Rosberg consistently then he needs to start doing better in qualifying. I believe this is key.

wedge
31st August 2011, 15:31
Lets put it into perspective though, in 1998 he had a car to be on the front row and even if his wheel hadn't fallen off in quali, he wouldn't have been on the front row.

Never said he would make the front row.

Schumi could out-drive a car, extracting the maximum/more than a lesser driver.

1996 season he got 3 wins in a car that was aerodynamically poor and inferior. And where was Irvine? Lightyears behind in comparison.

MGP is arguably the 5th best car, which means Schumi in his prime would probably be fighting for 4th last weekend and qualifying in row 3 and maybe 2 achievable IMO.

Daniel
31st August 2011, 15:33
Never said he would make the front row.

Schumi could out-drive a car, extracting the maximum/more than a lesser driver.

1996 season he got 3 wins in a car that was aerodynamically poor and inferior. And where was Irvine? Lightyears behind in comparison.

MGP is arguably the 5th best car, which means Schumi in his prime would probably be fighting for 4th last weekend and qualifying in row 3 and maybe 2 achievable IMO.

I disagree strongly :)

i_max2k2
31st August 2011, 17:03
I think in terms of raw speed he has it, cause in most of the first practice sessions he get his car ahead of rosberg, it is after that, when they setup the car he falls behind, he definitely isn't able to setup the car as well as he did before or atleast thats what I think.

jens
1st September 2011, 20:00
Schumacher has improved this season, while Rosberg has been slightly disappointing (perhaps not able to adapt to fastly deteriorating tyres, while last year's ultra-reliable tyres suited him more in comparison to MS). Especially Montreal reminded Michael from his best days - before that race I was unsure if I have the honour to witness that again. :p : But I have to say that reflexes or something don't seem quite the same, as evidenced by the numerous on-track incidents and losses of front wings during the season. Incredible record though - 20 years! :)