PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs quits Apple

Daniel
25th August 2011, 09:15
The day has come when Steve has gone. Some will be sad I'm sure but I'm rather meh.

One thing that got my back up this morning was when the BBC talked about him as a great inventor.

In Apple's golden years what have they actually invented?

MP3 player, nope.
Smartphone, nope.
Tablet, nope.
The app, nope.

Why do we have such incompetent technology reporters at the BBC? I love most of the other stuff the BBC does, but their tech reporting is woefully bad, Click! is a yawnfest which reports stuff which most technology people usually knew about months ago, unless it's an Apple product in which case it's reported as and when it happens. Then there's Kate Russell who seems to have the easiest job in the world, find a few websites and talk about them for 5 minutes.

Why is it so hard to get proper technology reporters? Apple are good (if a bit dishonest) with their marketing as well as the aesthetics of their products, why not say that rather than a complete untruth which is that they invent stuff.

Mark
25th August 2011, 09:19
Looks like his medical issues have caught up with him. So; who takes over?

Mark
25th August 2011, 09:26
Tim Cook apparently (who? :p )

Brown, Jon Brow
25th August 2011, 09:36
Steve Jobless

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 09:47
He still owns a considerable share in Apple, right? So, he's only let go of the title of CEO. He's still the chairman of the board, and will pretty much oversee everything as usual, with Cook most probably being a puppet in his hands.

Retro Formula 1
25th August 2011, 10:02
I cannot believe you underestimate the contribution Jobs has made to Apple Daniel. Perhaps you should do a bit more research.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 10:19
I cannot believe you underestimate the contribution Jobs has made to Apple Daniel. Perhaps you should do a bit more research.

Now tell me, where did I actually say that? Or are you just seeing what you want to see? :dozey:

Retro Formula 1
25th August 2011, 10:49
Oh, I can read sunshine.

Patent Database Search Results: "Jobs, Steven" in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Jobs%2C+Steven%22)

Patent Database Search Results: "Jobs, Steve" in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Jobs%2C+Steve%22)

Now, while Jobs didn't go for a crap and **** out an iPad, his contribution, idea direction and inventions are practically endemic in the DNA of every Apple product. He is a gifted inventor and one of the greatest visionaries to grace this planet.

Lets look at a couple of little impacts he has brought to your life today. Know what a GUI is? The Jobs / Wozniak GUI is widely accepted to be the modern standard and lead to the Apple / MS wars when Big Bill ripped it and lobbed it on DOS.

What about the Web. Berners developed the idea on a Jobby Machine. Not an Apple machine. Oh no! on a NeXT because he fell out with Apple and set up something else. That something else was so good, Apple bought the company, partly for the Technology inspired by Jobs (OSX) and partly I guess to get Jobs himself back.

And then we have you sitting there slagging off the BBC for claiming he isn't a great inventor? He obviously is a great inventor but if you know anything,you must appreciate that he is so much more than that.

Perhaps your NeXT thread should be titled "What have the Romans ever done for us"!!!

Daniel
25th August 2011, 11:12
Oh, I can read sunshine.

Patent Database Search Results: "Jobs, Steven" in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Jobs%2C+Steven%22)

Patent Database Search Results: "Jobs, Steve" in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Jobs%2C+Steve%22)

Now, while Jobs didn't go for a crap and **** out an iPad, his contribution, idea direction and inventions are practically endemic in the DNA of every Apple product. He is a gifted inventor and one of the greatest visionaries to grace this planet.

Lets look at a couple of little impacts he has brought to your life today. Know what a GUI is? The Jobs / Wozniak GUI is widely accepted to be the modern standard and lead to the Apple / MS wars when Big Bill ripped it and lobbed it on DOS.

What about the Web. Berners developed the idea on a Jobby Machine. Not an Apple machine. Oh no! on a NeXT because he fell out with Apple and set up something else. That something else was so good, Apple bought the company, partly for the Technology inspired by Jobs (OSX) and partly I guess to get Jobs himself back.

And then we have you sitting there slagging off the BBC for claiming he isn't a great inventor? He obviously is a great inventor but if you know anything,you must appreciate that he is so much more than that.

Perhaps your NeXT thread should be titled "What have the Romans ever done for us"!!!

Your ignorance of the facts is epic. Whilst the commonly held story goes that Apple invented the GUI and Microsoft stole it, this simply isn't true at all. Have a google for "Xerox Star Workstation" and check the dates against the release of the Macintosh 128k (the first Mac with a GUI)

Saying that Steve had a part in the invention of the web is hilarious. If it hadn't been on a NeXT machine it would have been on an IBM machine or an IBM compatible or whatever he was working on..... A creative and innovative person is almost never constrained by the hardware or software that they're using. What you're suggesting is almost like saying that if Adrian Newey has a fantastic idea whilst driving into work in his Ford Mondeo, that the Mondeo somehow should take some credit for the idea.

You clearly don't know what you're on about and your information seems to have been garnered from sources which aren't exactly correct.

The point you don't seem to grasp is that in the golden age of Apple (ie the last 10 years) Jobs has not invented anything of note. All the things which Apple is credited with inventing were all around in the mainstream prior to Apple packaging them nicely and marketing them to the masses. CEO's don't generally do the inventing. You'll notice that on those patents, they all seem to have Steve's name included in a list of "inventors" so it may be that he never did any work on the patents at all other than putting his name on as a seal of approval.

You still haven't said where I said "I don't feel Jobs has made a big contribution to Apple" :dozey:

GridGirl
25th August 2011, 11:24
Predictable Apple and Jobs bashing thread and posts from Daniel. :rolleyes:

I actually think what most people have missed so far in the thread is that the the guy has suffered from a rare form of cancer, had a liver transplant and until now was on extended medical leave for an undisclosed illness. The poor guy is currently either quite ill at this point in time or he has realised with the ill health he has suffered that life is just too short to be 'Mr Apple'. There are indeed more things to life than Apple. I know he will remain chairman but maybe he just wants to step back and enjoy some time outside of the bubble. The human element of the story has been overlooked in my opinion.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 11:50
I never bashed him ffs

Mark
25th August 2011, 11:50
Point missed again. Maybe Apple didn't 'invent' things. What they did was take existing inventions and vastly improved the user experience and interface and took them from the realm of something only accessible to tech geeks to products anybody can understand.

There is as much if not more value in that then there is in inventing the raw hardware. Just as Nokia about that, very strong with hardware yet the OS and 'ecosystem' is/was piss poor so they have fallen behind.

CarlMetro
25th August 2011, 11:53
Steve Jobs, the man that brought us the iMac, iPod, iPad and iTunes, has decided to do the iQuit

Eki
25th August 2011, 12:18
How many jobs he still has left? I mean is he still called Jobs or maybe just Job or Out O'Job?

Retro Formula 1
25th August 2011, 12:23
Your ignorance of the facts is epic. Whilst the commonly held story goes that Apple invented the GUI and Microsoft stole it, this simply isn't true at all. Have a google for "Xerox Star Workstation" and check the dates against the release of the Macintosh 128k (the first Mac with a GUI)

Saying that Steve had a part in the invention of the web is hilarious. If it hadn't been on a NeXT machine it would have been on an IBM machine or an IBM compatible or whatever he was working on..... A creative and innovative person is almost never constrained by the hardware or software that they're using. What you're suggesting is almost like saying that if Adrian Newey has a fantastic idea whilst driving into work in his Ford Mondeo, that the Mondeo somehow should take some credit for the idea.

You clearly don't know what you're on about and your information seems to have been garnered from sources which aren't exactly correct.

The point you don't seem to grasp is that in the golden age of Apple (ie the last 10 years) Jobs has not invented anything of note. All the things which Apple is credited with inventing were all around in the mainstream prior to Apple packaging them nicely and marketing them to the masses. CEO's don't generally do the inventing. You'll notice that on those patents, they all seem to have Steve's name included in a list of "inventors" so it may be that he never did any work on the patents at all other than putting his name on as a seal of approval.

You still haven't said where I said "I don't feel Jobs has made a big contribution to Apple" :dozey:

Daniel. Rather than use your normal blinkered approach, perhaps you might like to READ my post

1. I never claimed that Apple invented the first GUI. I merely stated that they were the ones that really brought it to fruition and were responsible for shaping it into the interface we see today. I don't know your age but I guess you weren't around at the time but some of us were and actually know what we are talking about.

2. I never claimed he had a part in the creation of the web. Again you seem incapable of understanding written words. I merely pointed out that another of his inventions was used by someone that did invent the web at CERN. I was trying to make the distinction that he was not just a mere inventor but that his inventions helped change the world. A subtlety missed on you it seems.

3. I have no interest in getting into some pissing contest with you. If you think have no idea what I'm talking about then I will try and fall into a fitfull sleep after crying my eyes out but frankly, I think you're a bit of an insufferable fool who argues needlessly because he has a bee in his bonnet about Aple for some reason. IT'S A SODDING COMPANY. You don't have to shag them. If you don't like their products, don't use them. I really can't see why people get some excited about Microsoft or Apple. It's just about the most immature thing I can think of to get passionate about.

4. Again, you fail to grasp the basics of reading and comprehension. I claimed that you underestimate the influence Jobs has both at Apple. I explained how his inventions affect just about every new product released by Apple including those you mentioned. You obviously believe that Apple just emerged 10 years ago and dismiss the hundreds of inventions Jobs has come up with that helped shape this world leading corporation. That's because you don't understand history and never will but you can't polish a turd as they say. Better you just keep on talking what you talk.

As for me, I have more important things to do than try and educate you. My arse needs scratching and I need to decide whether to have a piss or save it till lunchtime. Both of which interest me far more than conversing with you so I bid you good day.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 12:57
Daniel. Rather than use your normal blinkered approach, perhaps you might like to READ my post

1. I never claimed that Apple invented the first GUI. I merely stated that they were the ones that really brought it to fruition and were responsible for shaping it into the interface we see today. I don't know your age but I guess you weren't around at the time but some of us were and actually know what we are talking about.

2. I never claimed he had a part in the creation of the web. Again you seem incapable of understanding written words. I merely pointed out that another of his inventions was used by someone that did invent the web at CERN. I was trying to make the distinction that he was not just a mere inventor but that his inventions helped change the world. A subtlety missed on you it seems.

3. I have no interest in getting into some pissing contest with you. If you think have no idea what I'm talking about then I will try and fall into a fitfull sleep after crying my eyes out but frankly, I think you're a bit of an insufferable fool who argues needlessly because he has a bee in his bonnet about Aple for some reason. IT'S A SODDING COMPANY. You don't have to shag them. If you don't like their products, don't use them. I really can't see why people get some excited about Microsoft or Apple. It's just about the most immature thing I can think of to get passionate about.

4. Again, you fail to grasp the basics of reading and comprehension. I claimed that you underestimate the influence Jobs has both at Apple. I explained how his inventions affect just about every new product released by Apple including those you mentioned. You obviously believe that Apple just emerged 10 years ago and dismiss the hundreds of inventions Jobs has come up with that helped shape this world leading corporation. That's because you don't understand history and never will but you can't polish a turd as they say. Better you just keep on talking what you talk.

As for me, I have more important things to do than try and educate you. My arse needs scratching and I need to decide whether to have a piss or save it till lunchtime. Both of which interest me far more than conversing with you so I bid you good day.

You still haven't actually posted saying where I said that "I don't think Jobs did much for Apple"

1) Whatever. Having learnt how to use computers back in they days of the Apple/ MIcrosoft wars, I can tell you that Microsoft's solution was far more intuitive to use.

2) Big whoopty! So he was using a Jobs computer when he created the WWW? What of it? What brand of pants was he wearing? Did he go commando? Was he wearing y fronts or boxers? Does it matter?

3) Nice personal insults there :) You're the one who trolled this thread and turned it into a silly anti/pro apple thread. The guy is obviously sick and will probably be dead within a year or two, I didn't really feel like another one of these threads and thought it would have been in poor taste. If you read my first post you'll actually see that my issue is with the inept BBC technology reporters who chose to portray a marketing man as a genuis inventor which he is certainly isn't.

4) You don't have 3 legs and 27 eyes, what does it have to do with this thread?

Daniel
25th August 2011, 13:23
Point missed again. Maybe Apple didn't 'invent' things. What they did was take existing inventions and vastly improved the user experience and interface and took them from the realm of something only accessible to tech geeks to products anybody can understand.

There is as much if not more value in that then there is in inventing the raw hardware. Just as Nokia about that, very strong with hardware yet the OS and 'ecosystem' is/was piss poor so they have fallen behind.

I agree with what you're saying Mark, but did I actually say that Apple products were crap? :)

My issue was with calling him an inventor and I was suggesting that the BBC technology journalists are rubbish by missing Jobs' actual genuis which was marketing products well and convincing people that they needed an iThis or an iThat.

Tbh I don't agree about the whole interface thing really, most products made in the last 10 years are actually really easy to use. Anyone can use Windows 7, XP or Vista fairly easily. The trick that Apple used was to make things appear very simple whereas there was always a perception that Microsoft products were difficult to use. Heck I have NEVER had any formal training on how to use or repair computers outside of my highschool education. I did do a year or so of a university degree but that was database design and programming which have been precisely no help for me. I really am almost completely self taught although I have picked up bits along the way from other people. Once you actually try to understand how something works it's a doddle to repair it.

People must think that I'm some sort of nerd or something and that I buy PC magazines every month, that I have skillz which they could never dream of posessing and that when I get home at night I defrag my hard drive for thrills. The truth is that I'm just not scared of computers and through just being logical, I can sort most problems easily.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 13:28
I think this thread has gone exactly as intended based on my experience of how every other thread discussing Apple has gone in the past. You dislike Apple intently and the fact you fail to recognise a company that converts ideas and delivers them in a desirable way to the consumer, only highlights your own bias IMO. Who cares who invented what and when? If Apple are doing someone else's idea better, then they deserve full credit as they are doing their job correctly.

What the heck? Read my first post. If I had wanted to start a flamewar I would have done so.

I don't fail to recognise Apple, did I not call Jobs a marketing genius? :dozey: It seems to be that when there's an Apple thread, I can say whatever I want but you'll only hear what you think I want to say. I never said there was an issue with Apple's products or improving upon others inventions (please show me where I've said this) I merely said that for the BBC to call Jobs an inventor is misleading as his genuis is in his marketing skills and he's not been involved in "inventing" stuff for a long while.

You really are quite rude henners, you've attached some completely false meaning to my posts for no good reason.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 13:29
If its commonly thought that Apple invented the GUI then that is a perfect example of a company doing everything right IMO. Microsoft obviously failed to make their mark on the market and allowed a competitor to reap the rewards and take credit. Well done Apple.

What?!?!?!!???!?!!?!?!?!? Do you not remember the late 80's or the whole of the 90's where Windows completely buried Macintosh?????????

Daniel
25th August 2011, 13:43
My observations are not based purely on this thread and I am not alone in the view that you have a dislike for Apple products as a whole it seems. I am sorry if you think I am being rude to you but I have not insulted you by calling you names, or used the tactic of saying your opinions are 'stupid' in the direct sense. Maybe if several of us are misinterpreting the meanings behind your post, you may want to look at your wording? As I said this view is not based on this thread alone and something is evidently not right.

Well then why do I need to even post if you know what I'm thinking? Do yourself a favour and read my first post as if Mark had written it. Tell me who my post is criticising?

I know how I come across in other threads, but I'm not like some F1 troll who dislikes team A and then posts threads about how team A use GM wheat in their cooking as some lame way to discredit them. I really am posting what you see and why some people choose to attach meaning from some other thread to this one I don't quite understand. This forum is weird, you criticise Hamilton for something you feel that he's done wrong so you're branded as a hater, but when you defend him people don't seem to take notice at all. I've criticised Apple and Jobs a lot, quite rightfully I feel, but this was a thread to merely announce his departure and to complain about the shonkiness of the BBC's technology journalism. If you don't know what I mean, then watch an episode of Click!......

Anyway ..... WYSIWYG.

Malbec
25th August 2011, 13:51
Maybe if several of us are misinterpreting the meanings behind your post, you may want to look at your wording? As I said this view is not based on this thread alone and something is evidently not right.

Daniel I urge you to pay attention to this.

Like the others my understanding of your opening post is that it is critical and dismissive of Apple regardless of how you dress it up in a passive aggressive manner as being critical of BBC reporting.

Perhaps given that this is hardly the first time you have complained that others have 'misinterpreted' your posts you should think about whether the problem is more fundamental and is related to your posts not being clearly written.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 14:04
Daniel I urge you to pay attention to this.

Like the others my understanding of your opening post is that it is critical and dismissive of Apple regardless of how you dress it up in a passive aggressive manner as being critical of BBC reporting.

Perhaps given that this is hardly the first time you have complained that others have 'misinterpreted' your posts you should think about whether the problem is more fundamental and is related to your posts not being clearly written.

Christ almighty!!!!!!

OK, can I ask how you would have phrased my original post to say.

Steve jobs has gone, I'm rather nonplussed by this.

BBC idiots said that he's a legendary inventor.

MP3 player, he didn't invent it.
Smartphones, didn't invent them.
Tablets, didn't invent them.
Apps, didn't invent them.

Then go on to explain how Steve's genius wasn't to invent stuff (as the BBC claimed) but to market stuff well.

The above statement isn't anti-Apple, it's clearly aimed at the BBC technology journalists and is merely based around an Apple story.

Tbh you're perceiving a bias which isn't. there. I know I come across as Anti-Apple most of the time and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. But there is NO anti-Apple sentiment in that first post. None! Nada! Zip! If I've made a name for myself then that's my problem, but it's the people on this thread who have assigned a meaning to my post which was never there nor was it ever intended! If I had explicitly stated that the post wasn't Anti-Apple, do you think it would have made any difference? Anyway, if this anti-Apple bias is so obvious, then you rewrite my post out using more "neutral" language, heck it's as neutral and happy to store nazi gold stolen from holocaust victims as Switzerland, but if you think it's hostile then show me the error of my ways

race aficionado
25th August 2011, 14:31
Steve Jobs, the man that brought us the iMac, iPod, iPad and iTunes, has decided to do the iQuit

He did not quit, he stepped down because of health reasons obviously.

So to follow CarlMetro's thought, Steve Jobs did the iWant_to_step_down_to_rest_and_try_to smell_whatever_roses_I_have_left _to_smell App.

Take a rest Steve, you deserve it and thanks for all the toys.

race
:s mokin:

00steven
25th August 2011, 14:33
Hope he can get healthy.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 14:39

So to follow CarlMetro's thought, Steve Jobs did the iWant_to_step_down_to_rest_and_try_to smell_whatever_roses_I_have_left _to_smell App.

Take a rest Steve, you deserve it and thanks for all the toys.

race

Quit, left because of health issues = same thing though?

00steven, I think this is it tbh, he's battled some pretty serious health issues before and only taken temporary breaks so I think this is probably the end for him.

race aficionado
25th August 2011, 16:30
Quit, left because of health issues = same thing though?

To each his own - but for me "quit' has a negative connotation.

Bottom line is that Steve Jobs is a genius and his legacy on our human history is a gift to all of us. (well . . . at least to some of us . . . . .)
;)

ioan
25th August 2011, 18:48
Apple fanatics against Daniel part X! Nothing new then. :D

Daniel
25th August 2011, 19:00
Apple fanatics against Daniel part X! Nothing new then. :D

To be fair RA was absolutely fine and Knock On doesn't care about Apple and just wanted a fight.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 19:08
To each his own - but for me "quit' has a negative connotation.

Bottom line is that Steve Jobs is a genius and his legacy on our human history is a gift to all of us. (well . . . at least to some of us . . . . .)
;)

Oh I certainly don't mean quit in a negative way. it was his choice and as it's his health there was only one choice to make of course.

race aficionado
25th August 2011, 19:13
Oh I certainly don't mean quit in a negative way. it was his choice and as it's his health there was only one choice to make of course.

:)

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:28
To be fair RA was absolutely fine and Knock On doesn't care about Apple and just wanted a fight.

So true!
Sorry Race! :)

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:29
Hope he can get healthy.

:up:

CarlMetro
25th August 2011, 21:48

Fully aware of the facts thanks, it was meant to be a joke but then I forgot that if you don't put smilies after something you intend to be funny then some donkey will take offence. My appologies.

And then people will be wondering why so many people have become pee'd off with the forum and left, never to return............

Daniel
25th August 2011, 22:09
So I'm considered an 'Apple fanatic' even though I buy rival products and don't personally own anything Apple? Interesting slant, although I won't accuse you of not reading the responses on here and forming a simplistic generalization simply to get a reaction. ;)

Well you're easily led, lets just say that.

Andrewmcm
25th August 2011, 22:24
Anywayyyyyyyyyyy.........

One would imagine that the roadmap for Apple items in the next few years is fully laid out and the moving upstairs (in the figurative sense) of Jobs should not have much of an effect. Once Jobs's intervention in product development has subsided, it will then be interesting to see how Apple do.

Daniel
25th August 2011, 22:34
Anywayyyyyyyyyyy.........

One would imagine that the roadmap for Apple items in the next few years is fully laid out and the moving upstairs (in the figurative sense) of Jobs should not have much of an effect. Once Jobs's intervention in product development has subsided, it will then be interesting to see how Apple do.

What did you say about me mother?!?!?!?!!?! :p

True. Whilst I don't see Apple going from hero to zero anytime soon, I wouldn't necessarily put the house on things standing still. Mango is out soon, some rumours say 1/9 but no one really knows, but there are handsets available today so it's plausable. I think Apple have been standing still to a certain extent and I think the days of them being able to do that are coming to an end somewhat. Since the iPhone 4 has come out WP7 will have launched and done a major update and Android has done countless updates since then......

I honestly don't see Jobs' leaving as a blow in terms of product development, the thing Steve did was being able to more or less brush away a major incident like antennagate with little more than a powerpoint presentation and a speach. If that were Steve Ballmer on stage he'd have quit for health reasons too, ie shareholders trying to seperate his balls from his body. I think if there are no new antennagate type incidents Apple should be able to cruise along for a while yet, they've got cash and they don't need to gain marketshare to make money.

I do honestly think though that the danger for Apple comes in the form of Windows 8 and the inevitable tie ins and integration this will have with WP8 and W8 tablets......

race aficionado
26th August 2011, 02:56
Fully aware of the facts thanks, it was meant to be a joke but then I forgot that if you don't put smilies after something you intend to be funny then some donkey will take offence. My appologies.

And then people will be wondering why so many people have become pee'd off with the forum and left, never to return............

Carl - What's up man.
I never took offense . . . now, inferring that I am a donkey because I responded using your quote, well . . . . if I'm pared with the Donks, I'm cool with that.

I liked your joke, that's why I quoted it and added mine (what was also intended to be a joke)
Any way, let's carry on.

peace damit!

Jag_Warrior
26th August 2011, 09:30
One of the greatest entrepreneurs of the late 20th/early 21st Century is leaving his post as CEO of Apple... the company he took from near bankruptcy to being the most valuable company in the world (on a given day). Interestingly enough, the day before Steve Jobs announced his resignation, Bloomberg ran a piece on the five greatest wealth creators of the past decade. Steve Jobs was in that group. A share price gain of 9000%, and I believe about $340 billion in investor wealth, since he returned to Apple.

All the money in the world can't save you once the big "C" gets hold of you. But if a man can look back on his life, being given up for adoption by an unwed mother and then being tossed out of the company that he co-founded, and now that company ranks alongside Ferrari, Rolex and the other premium brands around the globe, he can introduce a product in a category that had previously been a failure and make it a best selling, industry changing device... I'd say at least that man can say that he made one HELL of a mark as he closes his eyes for the final time.

Mark
26th August 2011, 09:39
He's also a co founder of Pixar, which is often overlooked.

pS I'm not happy with the level of personal insults in this thread, consider yourself all warned!

Daniel
26th August 2011, 10:46
Easily led? I'm sure that makes more logical sense to you than it does to me especially as I'm apparently a massive fan of a company I don't purchase products from. If you wish to respond like that whilst you hum along on your limited edition U2 Apple ipod then I have no problem with that. Your OP in the immigrants thread shows a level of maturity that sets you apart from the rest of us. My hat comes off to you.

It's called having a joke. The comments made by yourself and Knock on in this thread are hilarious and are worthy of being mocked.

Regarding you being led, I was referring to knockie who tried to make out that I'd been attacking Apple and Jobs in first post in this thread and you swallowed it hook line and sinker.

That neither Race Aficionado nor Jag Warrior seem to have taken issue with my original post and them being the resident (reasonable) Apple fans, I think that says a lot. You saw what you wanted to see and that's that.

Daniel
26th August 2011, 10:52
He's also a co founder of Pixar, which is often overlooked.

pS I'm not happy with the level of personal insults in this thread, consider yourself all warned!

One thing I'd like to bring up again, is one members insistence on finding some sort of hidden message in people's posts and refusing to accept that what the person said is what the person said. Of course that sort of misrepresentation of people's posts gets people rather angry and creates friction.

Everyone misinterprets threads and posts, but if someone tells you that what you've accused them of saying is NOT what they were saying then you should accept it and move on rather than trying to argue that you know someone's intentions better than they do. Fair enough that there be the assumption that because I was posting an Apple thread that it was negative, but surely if I say many times that the thread is criticising the BBC's technology reporters then really it should be accepted that this was my intention?

Retro Formula 1
26th August 2011, 12:34
One thing I'd like to bring up again, is one members insistence on finding some sort of hidden message in people's posts and refusing to accept that what the person said is what the person said. Of course that sort of misrepresentation of people's posts gets people rather angry and creates friction.

Everyone misinterprets threads and posts, but if someone tells you that what you've accused them of saying is NOT what they were saying then you should accept it and move on rather than trying to argue that you know someone's intentions better than they do. Fair enough that there be the assumption that because I was posting an Apple thread that it was negative, but surely if I say many times that the thread is criticising the BBC's technology reporters then really it should be accepted that this was my intention?

And it has been pointed out to you that Jobs was a prolific inventor whos contributions have helped shape the modern world, thus vindicating the BBC article.

Do you agree?

Daniel
26th August 2011, 12:50
And it has been pointed out to you that Jobs was a prolific inventor whos contributions have helped shape the modern world, thus vindicating the BBC article.

Do you agree?
Even if I did agree with you (I don't!!!!!) I neve said in my original post that Steve wasn't an inventor, I said that they didn't invent the MP3 player, smartphone and tablet.

Agree? :dozey: Or do you just want to pick a fight?

Retro Formula 1
26th August 2011, 13:14
Even if I did agree with you (I don't!!!!!) I neve said in my original post that Steve wasn't an inventor, I said that they didn't invent the MP3 player, smartphone and tablet.

Agree? :dozey: Or do you just want to pick a fight?

Hundreds of people invented those devices, not just one person. The technology involved would have incorporated inventions that Jobs would have been granted.

Here are a few of the Patents that Jobs has been granted solely on in conjunction with other people. I did post links to hundreds of them earlier in the thread if you are still in doubt.

Whatever you decide to believe, you will do and nobody will change your mind, but I have tried my best to provide you with the information that disproves your assertion and vindicates the BBC report.

1 8,000,736 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) User programmable switch for portable data processing devices (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
2 7,996,792 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=2&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Voicemail manager for portable multifunction device (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=2&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
3 7,958,441 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=3&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Media management for groups of media items (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=3&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
4 D638,441 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=4&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) User interface for a computer display (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=4&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
5 D637,201 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=5&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) User interface for computer display (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=5&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
6 7,890,778 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=6&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Power-off methods for portable electronic devices (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=6&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
7 7,877,375 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=7&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Name finding system and method (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=7&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
8 7,860,536 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=8&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Telephone interface for a portable communication device (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=8&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
9 D629,419 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=9&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) User interface for computer display (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=9&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)
10 7,853,972 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=10&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22) Media preview user interface (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=10&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&OS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22&RS=%22Jobs,+Steven%22)

Mark
26th August 2011, 14:14
Looks like I'm talking to myself yet again. I don't want to close this thread so I may have to start dishing out infraction points instead. You have been warned.

Retro Formula 1
26th August 2011, 14:46
Looks like I'm talking to myself yet again. I don't want to close this thread so I may have to start dishing out infraction points instead. You have been warned.

:confused:

Am I missing something? I didn't think I was being abusive in any way. Pretty patent, er sorry I mean patient, if you ask me :laugh:

Mark
26th August 2011, 14:49
It wasn't aimed at you specifically.

ioan
26th August 2011, 16:16
A share price gain of 9000%, and I believe about $340 billion in investor wealth, since he returned to Apple.

Imagine how wealthy Forest Gump is now! :D

Roamy
26th August 2011, 17:06
In 1988 I bought my first NeXT machine > later I built my own OpenStep machines > at the turn of the century I grabbed a copy of OSX beta which was the NeXT operating system and bought my first Mac. Today smiling and runnig Lion.

Thank you Steve Jobs my computing years have be flawless. No PCmatic.com here.

Mark
26th August 2011, 17:13
I think my iPhone is excellent. But I still don't like the whole 'no filesystem' model.

donKey jote
27th August 2011, 11:38

OI! there you go calling my name in vain again :mad:
that's it... I'm outtahere :rolleyes:
oops I remembered the smilies ;) :p :
:dozey:

donKey jote
27th August 2011, 11:42
if I'm pared with the Donks, I'm cool with that.

:kiss: :up:

meat ooh
:p

piece the mit!

Jag_Warrior
28th August 2011, 04:21
Disney, Walton, Ford, Gates: Tales of When Legends Leave (http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/113394/tales-of-when-legends-leave-wsj;_ylt=ArzDjTNKR1qiKsIFsqOsZD9O7sMF;_ylu=X3oDMTE 5cWNjN2ltBHBvcwM3BHNlYwN3ZWVrZW5kRWRpdGlvbgRzbGsDZ GlzbmV5d2FsdG9u?mod=bb-budgeting%20)

The founder of a successful corporation steps down. Then what?

At Ford Motor Co. (F - News) and Walt Disney Co. (DIS - News), long periods of stagnation or decline, followed by renewal. At Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT - News), continued success for a time, then new challenges.

Now it is Apple Inc.'s (AAPL - News) turn, following Steve Jobs's resignation as CEO on Wednesday.

Tim Cook, Apple's new CEO, gets high marks for running the company during Mr. Jobs's two medical leaves in recent years. "Apple has done a better job than most to prepare for this," says Jeffrey Pfeffer, a professor at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business, who knows several Apple executives.

But history suggests it will not be a smooth ride.

There are perils in every course. Disney got in trouble for hewing too close to its founder's vision. Wal-Mart is faulted now for veering too far from its founder's strategy.

[More from WSJ.com: George Lucas on Job's Resignation]

The tension isn't limited to the U.S. Japan's Sony Corp. (SNE - News) lost its market leadership in electronics after charismatic founder Akio Morita stepped down as chairman in 1994. By contrast, some of Honda Motor Co.'s (HM - News) most innovative vehicles—and greatest market successes—came after founder Soichiro Honda retired in 1973.

Students of leadership say the companies that navigate the transition most successfully are those that embed the founder's values in the organization and groom multiple generations of leaders.

"The difference between a cult and a religion is that one outlasts the founder," said Harvard Business School professor Rakesh Khurana, who has written extensively about CEO succession.

Strong leaders can help, but Mr. Khurana offers a sober outlook. "Most firms don't survive," he said. "In tech in particular, it's like watching fruit flies."

Here are four visions of Apple's future, captured from the past century of American business:

Mark
28th August 2011, 10:55
Interesting article equally if you apply it to Bernie Ecclestone!

Malbec
28th August 2011, 11:26
Disney, Walton, Ford, Gates: Tales of When Legends Leave (http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/113394/tales-of-when-legends-leave-wsj;_ylt=ArzDjTNKR1qiKsIFsqOsZD9O7sMF;_ylu=X3oDMTE 5cWNjN2ltBHBvcwM3BHNlYwN3ZWVrZW5kRWRpdGlvbgRzbGsDZ GlzbmV5d2FsdG9u?mod=bb-budgeting%20)

Honda's a bit of an exception there though because Soichiro may have stepped down as chairman but he was still intimately involved with the company. Also one of his last decisions was to expand the company with a universal car, the Civic that obviously helped the company expand massively.

I think Apple will do well for a couple of product generations but they may well miss out on the next big trend, just as Microsoft was late on the internet bandwagon and almost completely failed to take advantage of the portable MP3 and smartphone market despite having almost monopolised the OS market with windows.

Also I think they'll miss out on Job's control freakery and attention to detail, again not immediately but after a couple of product generations.