PDA

View Full Version : Being a driving instructor

Mark
24th August 2011, 11:15
So what's it like?

Brown, Jon Brow
24th August 2011, 13:59
I can imagine that it is very frustrating and you have to be very patient.

wedge
24th August 2011, 14:41
First piece of advice from my instructor: "don't become a driving instructor!"

Gregor-y
24th August 2011, 17:43
If the student has a special seat for themselves and a regular or lesser seat for passengers don't get in. It shows they're cheap and probably were the same in some other area of preparation.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 20:30
You have to have special kind of personality (very calm and patient) for it, also your understanding of how the traffic works has to be far better than your average driver`s. I don`t have the patience and calmness for it, I would probably intimidate the poor learners too much if they eff up and I state my views on their actions.

GridGirl
24th August 2011, 20:42
I dont know but you will probably get a reply to this thread that LOOKS like this,and they will probably tell you how long they have been in the DRIVING INSTRUCTION business,and that they are quite expensive,and that YOU should work for YOURSELF as soon as possible. ;)

Daniel
24th August 2011, 20:50
You have to have special kind of personality (very calm and patient) for it, also your understanding of how the traffic works has to be far better than your average driver`s. I don`t have the patience and calmness for it, I would probably intimidate the poor learners too much if they eff up and I state my views on their actions.

I think though if you found yourself doing the job you'd probably be more patient. I'm sure most of us find ourselves shouting at other people on the road from time to time, but if we were sat next to a new driver (and were getting paid to be patient ;) ) then I'm sure the patience would come naturally.

I dont know but you will probably get a reply to this thread that LOOKS like this,and they will probably tell you how long they have been in the DRIVING INSTRUCTION business,and that they are quite expensive,and that YOU should work for YOURSELF as soon as possible. ;)

What is the point of this post?

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 20:51
I am bad enough at being a passenger in a car driven by another member of my family, there is no hope for me :p :

I am sure like any job there are good and bad parts to it :up:

Daniel
24th August 2011, 20:54
I am bad enough at being a passenger in a car driven by another member of my family, there is no hope for me :p :

How about being my passenger? :p

GridGirl
24th August 2011, 21:04
What is the point of this post?

Wait a few posts and YOU might see.

CarlMetro
24th August 2011, 21:04
So what's it like?

It's alright I suppose.....

Daniel
24th August 2011, 21:16
Carl, you'll miss the 500, it's a real man's car :p -> Libia - La vera storia della 500 di Gheddafi - Quattroruote (http://www.quattroruote.it/notizie/eventi/libia-la-vera-storia-della-500-di-gheddafi)

Mark
24th August 2011, 21:20
It's alright I suppose.....

I set up a thread so you can promote your facebook page and that's the best you can do? :p

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:22
I think though if you found yourself doing the job you'd probably be more patient. I'm sure most of us find ourselves shouting at other people on the road from time to time, but if we were sat next to a new driver (and were getting paid to be patient ;) ) then I'm sure the patience would come naturally.
Maybe you are right, but really, I doubt it in my case. I have a really really low level of tolerance for errors and while I understand that if you have just started driving, you cant do it well yet and you should just be talked to in a gentle manner...But I just dont see me being a good instructor. You`d have to have a very strong character to tolerate my comments and I know I cant hold my tongue back forever. But maybe you are right.

BDunnell
24th August 2011, 21:23
Maybe you are right, but really, I doubt it in my case. I have a really really low level of tolerance for errors and while I understand that if you have just started driving, you cant do it well yet and you should just be talked to in a gentle manner...But I just dont see me being a good instructor. You`d have to have a very strong character to tolerate my comments and I know I cant hold my tongue back forever. But maybe you are right.

Is this a case of you taking yet another opportunity to underline how impressively aggressive and outspoken you are?

BDunnell
24th August 2011, 21:24
Carl, you'll miss the 500, it's a real man's car :p -> Libia - La vera storia della 500 di Gheddafi - Quattroruote (http://www.quattroruote.it/notizie/eventi/libia-la-vera-storia-della-500-di-gheddafi)

A present from the Italians, perchance, as they sought to curry favour with the regime in pursuit of defence and infrastructure contracts?

Either way, tremendous.

Daniel
24th August 2011, 21:25
Is this a case of you taking yet another opportunity to underline how impressively aggressive and outspoken you are?

Or perhaps he genuinely feels that way? Just because the righties feel the need to attack others in every thread doesn't mean you need to lower yourself to their level Ben ;)

BDunnell
24th August 2011, 21:25
Or perhaps he genuinely feels that way? Just because the righties feel the need to attack others in every thread doesn't mean you need to lower yourself to their level Ben ;)

A fair point. I ought not to draw attention to them.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:27
Actually, I was now reminded of a friend of mine who when he did his license had a driving instructor who, when my friend had made a mistake during his drive, would after the driving had finished humiliate and insult him in front of all other instructors and learners. And I dont mean light stuff, he was called an idiot and everything else, if I remember correctly he once even accused my friend of trying to murder him (my friend was 16 at the time). So I thought that was a bit ****ed, humiliating a 16 year old in front of all others like that. Sure, I would probably yell at him as well, but never humiliate someone like that in front others.

Naturally, after a little while my friend changed his instructor.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:31

Are you menstruating, dunnell? PMS? Whatever topic it happens to be, all I see you is whining and bitching and crying like a 11 year old girl.

Daniel
24th August 2011, 21:31

I think if you had to you'd do it. You don't need to so you won't ;)

I'm quite an intolerant ****er when I want to be and when I worked in a high school with annoying teenagers who were constantly talking to me when I was trying to do my work rather than doing their work I generally just ignored them, but I started today at a special school for mentally handicapped children and I somehow doubt I'll be blanking some poor kid with Down's Syndrome who is only doing what comes naturally.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:32

NO NO NO. I just really really really dont like that, the only car worse than that is multipla.

Daniel
24th August 2011, 21:33
NO NO NO. I just really really really dont like that, the only car worse than that is multipla.

Tbh although I like my 500 I hate that. It just looks stupid.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:36
I think if you had to you'd do it. You don't need to so you won't ;)

I'm quite an intolerant ****er when I want to be and when I worked in a high school with annoying teenagers who were constantly talking to me when I was trying to do my work rather than doing their work I generally just ignored them, but I started today at a special school for mentally handicapped children and I somehow doubt I'll be blanking some poor kid with Down's Syndrome who is only doing what comes naturally.

I know Pino will cut off my testicles for going off-topic, but out of curiosity what job do you do there? Massive kudos for doing that anyway.

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 21:37
How about being my passenger? :p

<Doffs Aviators>

Bull****, you can be mine.

CarlMetro
24th August 2011, 21:52
OK, proper answer time then.

I love it. The hours can be quite long, the training and tests are tough and no matter how much the big companies tell you how easy it is, you have to be prepared to self-promote.

There are three tests and you have to have a CRB check before you can take any of the training. Part one is a theory and hazard perception test, exactly the same as any learner has to take but with a much higher pass criteria. You can take as many attempts to pass as is necessary on part one. Part two is on your driving ability and is an extended driving test which lasts about one hour and you are allowed only six minor faults. You can only take part two a maximum of three times, if you fail on your third attempt then that is it, you're done. Part three is testing your instructional techniques. Again it lasts about one hour and the area Senior Examiner will play the part of a pupil with two separate scenarios. Like part two you only have three attempts at passing part three, if you fail on the third attempt then you are through.

Ignore all the bull you see on the telly and the websites about £30k a year. Yes, it is possible but like everything else you have to be prepared to put the effort in to achieve anywhere near it. I currently run a BSM franchise and when I signed up they told me I would be so busy I wouldn't be able to sit still. It doesn't quite work like that though, be prepared to self-promote and do plenty of legwork to build up your pupil database. Don't expect your business to take off from the moment you qualify, it does take time but you soon find that you get a few referrals and recommendations.

There are downsides with any job and this is no different. The hours can be long, some of the pupils take a little longer to progress than others and there are very few employed driving instructors about, the vast majority are either franchise holders or independents. That means no holiday or sick pay, no company pension ad the need to keep a close eye on your finances.

The up sides are fantastic though, being your own boss and deciding what hours you work as well as the feeling of a job well done when someone passes.

Feel free to click on my link to my facebook page in my signature or PM me if you have any questions. I'm also on twitter @carlmetro

CarlMetro
24th August 2011, 22:03
Actually, I was now reminded of a friend of mine who when he did his license had a driving instructor who, when my friend had made a mistake during his drive, would after the driving had finished humiliate and insult him in front of all other instructors and learners. And I dont mean light stuff, he was called an idiot and everything else, if I remember correctly he once even accused my friend of trying to murder him (my friend was 16 at the time). So I thought that was a bit ****ed, humiliating a 16 year old in front of all others like that. Sure, I would probably yell at him as well, but never humiliate someone like that in front others.

Naturally, after a little while my friend changed his instructor.

Strange, the minimum age to drive a car as a learner is 17. Your provisional licence cannot begin until your 17th birthday and no DSA approved instructor, however bad, would take a pupil without a provisional licence, let alone belittle them in front of colleagues. The only time I speak to other instructors face to face is at the test centre and every instructor is on their best behaviour due to the small fact that the DSA have to power to revoke your licence for such actions as you describe.

There are bad instructors out there, I picked up a pupil last week whose previous instructor ate a kebab during a lesson, but they don't stay in business very long.

Daniel
24th August 2011, 22:04
I picked up a pupil last week whose previous instructor ate a kebab during a lesson, but they don't stay in business very long.

Classic...........

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 22:08
Strange, the minimum age to drive a car as a learner is 17. Your provisional licence cannot begin until your 17th birthday and no DSA approved instructor, however bad, would take a pupil without a provisional licence, let alone belittle them in front of colleagues. The only time I speak to other instructors face to face is at the test centre and every instructor is on their best behaviour due to the small fact that the DSA have to power to revoke your licence for such actions as you describe.

There are bad instructors out there, I picked up a pupil last week whose previous instructor ate a kebab during a lesson, but they don't stay in business very long.

I am not UK based

Daniel
24th August 2011, 22:22
I know Pino will cut off my testicles for going off-topic, but out of curiosity what job do you do there? Massive kudos for doing that anyway.

I do IT support. I only started today and the kids are only in next Tuesday and Wednesday to start the new school year. Who knows, I could hate it, but I doubt it.

You sould see this place though, it's amazing, they've got fantastic equipment, they've got quite a sizeable chunk of forest, they've got goats, sheep cows, geese, ducks, rabbits, pigs, a pony and so much other stuff. Some of the buildings are grade II listed so they're really rather nice. It's just an all round fantastic place. Me having my own office does sweeten the deal for me somewhat :D It's only temporary at the moment but I really hope it goes permanent!

Sonic
25th August 2011, 10:52
Where's driveace? ;)

Hi Carl, didn't realise you were a fellow ADI. *waves*

Personally I started out as an ARDS instructor but I got fed up of the constant travelling from track to track (especially as they were always at opposite ends of the ruddy country, so there was a lot of sleeping in my car after an all night drive to Oulton or something), plus that whole sitting next to a Billy at 110mph kinda lost it's appeal after yet another sideways moment at Coram.

Being an ADI has the massive benefit of always being close to home so I can pop back at lunch and dinner to see my kids, although the trade off is the money is poor.

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:36
I'm sure most of us find ourselves shouting at other people on the road from time to time,

From time to time?! That's like when I do not need to shout to some of the two legged animals who got a driving license around here!

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:42

Carl should take the opportunity to teach those Libians how to drive a car properly as I am pretty sure it didn't ran out of fuel, and Gadaffi didn't take the keys with him either!

Daniel
25th August 2011, 19:46
Carl should take the opportunity to teach those Libians how to drive a car properly as I am pretty sure it didn't ran out of fuel, and Gadaffi didn't take the keys with him either!

Yeah, but Carl doesn't like the Fiat 500 he has now and I doubt he'd want to be seen in that :D

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:49
Yeah, but Carl doesn't like the Fiat 500 he has now and I doubt he'd want to be seen in that :D

Well, that would be a once in a lifetime opportunity! ;)