PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Hurricane Irene

slorydn1
24th August 2011, 07:12
Due to the fact that I am facing down the barrel of what's forecasted to be a landfalling Catagory 3 Hurricane I've been a tad busy the past couple of days at my real job. No worries, I don't believe that the core of the storm will come through my jurisdiction, although if the current forecast track and intensity verifes we will experience catagory 1 winds and some storm surge here in New Bern,NC.

Because of that, and the "earlyness" of the truck race (Wednesday night) I have already posted the Pickems threads for our manual pickems on the Nascar Games subforum for the upcoming races at Bristol. I have last weekends races partially scored and will post the results for both weekends (all 6 races) at the same time next week.

Im kinda pissed, because this weekend is my third most favorite weekend of racing for the year, what with the Bristol Night Races in NASCAR and Spa in F1. Its looking more and more like I'm gonna be stuck at work the entire weekend from Friday night until Sunday night, at the very least.

Enough of that. To my racing buddies farther up the NE coast PAY ATTENTION:

The situation is setting up to be very bad for a bunch of people not used to hurricanes from the Delmarva penninsula all the way up through the NYC Metro area and on up into New England. I'm talking Hurricane Agnes (1972) or the 1938 Long Island Express kinda problems for y'all up that way. Im sure there are older members of your families who would love to tell you all about those historic storms. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful around downed power lines, and if you are not familiar with the area's most prone to storm surge/flooding where you live FIND OUT. NOW.

Like I said, we are used to dealing with that around here, we'll be ok for the most part. It's those of you further up the coast that haven't had to deal with these kind of storms very much that I am very concerned about. This will NOT be like a lil nor'easter that you are used to dealing with if the forecast track and intensity plays out.

You can find out alot of what you need to know at:
www.nhc.noaa.gov (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov) or at your local National Weather Service websites (if you are not sure how to get there the best bet is to go to the main page at www.nws.noaa.gov (http://www.nws.noaa.gov) then click on the area that you live on the map).

Stay safe y'all, PLEASE!!!!

Sparky1329
25th August 2011, 06:06
Stay safe, slo. This could get ugly depending on the route Irene decides to take. We'll get something - probably wind and rain - unless the storm track ends up farther west than predicted. I lived through some nasty hurricanes back in the 50s and it wasn't pretty.

We're well prepared here. The generater is all ready to go in case we need it and the other half already removed two trees that could've taken out the shed and garage. We have plenty of food and the generator will power the well pump so we have water.

Lee Roy
25th August 2011, 12:29
Thanks for the great info Slo. I think we'll be okay here in the DC area. You take good care of yourself and keep safe.

00steven
25th August 2011, 14:37
Wish all of you guys well.

call_me_andrew
27th August 2011, 02:23
With Slorydn1 busy, the NASCAR forums are unmoderated. Every man for himself!

dunes
28th August 2011, 01:41
last night was worse thday. two confirmed dead and two conformed tonadoes. Virginias turn today at least,a tropical storm at best but a storm all the same. In the Charolette area its really nice out.The eastren sea board is still full of rain and wind but nothing compared to last night.

Sparky1329
28th August 2011, 06:08
It's raining and pretty windy here in the Poconos. The humidity is extremely oppressive. So far, so good.

slorydn1
29th August 2011, 01:26
Man, we got SMOKED..Every major transmission line in our area down...haven't had power since 3am Saturday.I just got home from work 2 hrs ago now I'm back in my truck chillin (litteraly) its hot as heck in the huse....alls good tho, no damage at my house....only loss would be about 300 bucks worth of food in the fridge and freezer...and no way to keep the beer cold,LOL... Oh and my county had zero deaths or injures DIRECTLY attributable to the storm...May be 10 or 15 injuries due to dummmys that just HAVE to drive during these deals....Needless to say no power means no internet access so I won't be around much.....my only access is thru my crackberry and service is spotty....

call_me_andrew
29th August 2011, 04:54
It's raining and pretty windy here in the Poconos. The humidity is extremely oppressive. So far, so good.

I think the humidity actually managed to exceed 100%. No rain got into my bedroom, but the carpet and my clean laundry just felt wet somehow.

Sparky1329
29th August 2011, 06:00
I think the humidity actually managed to exceed 100%. No rain got into my bedroom, but the carpet and my clean laundry just felt wet somehow.

The dewpoint was 70+ - air you can wear. I'm enjoying the cool, dry conditions tonight.

Sparky1329
29th August 2011, 06:06
Man, we got SMOKED..Every major transmission line in our area down...haven't had power since 3am Saturday.I just got home from work 2 hrs ago now I'm back in my truck chillin (litteraly) its hot as heck in the huse....alls good tho, no damage at my house....only loss would be about 300 bucks worth of food in the fridge and freezer...and no way to keep the beer cold,LOL... Oh and my county had zero deaths or injures DIRECTLY attributable to the storm...May be 10 or 15 injuries due to dummmys that just HAVE to drive during these deals....Needless to say no power means no internet access so I won't be around much.....my only access is thru my crackberry and service is spotty....

I'm so glad to hear you're safe. The nitwits who drive in storm conditions like you had really tick me off for their lack of respect for rescuers.

We had a lot of wind and rain but we didn't have to use the generator at all. It was nasty but it wasn't a Nor'Easter.

slorydn1
29th August 2011, 20:04
I'm so glad to hear you're safe. The nitwits who drive in storm conditions like you had really tick me off for their lack of respect for rescuers.

We had a lot of wind and rain but we didn't have to use the generator at all. It was nasty but it wasn't a Nor'Easter.

Thanks, and glad things worked out up your way. We got power back last night at the house, but nearly half of Craven County is without power still.

Now i get to slog through my pickems and iformational stuff. Luckily for me I enjoy it or it would not be good right now, lol