PDA

View Full Version : Senna to replace Quick Nick at Lada-Lotus-Renault-Genii-Whatever?

Dave B
22nd August 2011, 22:57
A few people reporting this possibility, including:

@willbuxton Fascinating rumour coming out that @BSenna will replace Heidfeld for rest of season. Pantano AND Senna back in race seats this weekend? ACE!

Interesting...

F1boat
22nd August 2011, 23:12
I hope so. I am curious to see Bruno with a better car.

steveaki13
22nd August 2011, 23:16
Could be good fun

pettersolberg29
22nd August 2011, 23:54
Could be fun, and it would be nice to see Senna in a better car but it's completely unjustified to get rid of Heidfeld based on performance alone. He's been better than Petrov and I would wager my house on Senna not being any better than Nick has been.

N4D13
23rd August 2011, 01:50
Gerard Lopez's GenII Capital has merged with a Brazilian investment firm, so I guess the rumour makes a lot of sense. Senna isn't going to do any better than Heidfeld, but he'll certainly bring some more cash to the team, and maybe a few Brazilian sponsors.

I am evil Homer
23rd August 2011, 11:20
Senna's not really had any opportunity to show his true pace. 'If' he gets the drive and can be near/equal to Petrov it could be interesting.

As for Nick...same old story, too inconsistent.

Robinho
23rd August 2011, 13:30
i'd be happy to see the switch, i've got heidfield in my FGP but my reserve is Senna

DexDexter
23rd August 2011, 13:50
Too bad for Heidfeld but he really didn't take the opportunity at Renault. He should have beaten Petrov in qualifying and the races but instead he's been up and down the whole year. Senna could bring new energy to the team, it's just that nobody really knows how good he is.

RS
23rd August 2011, 15:31
A few people reporting this possibility, including:

@willbuxton Fascinating rumour coming out that @BSenna will replace Heidfeld for rest of season. Pantano AND Senna back in race seats this weekend? ACE!

Interesting...

Pantano? Not heard that one.
Senna to replace Heidfeld on performance alone would be silly. Nick hasn't worked wonders but he has more points than Petrov who has steadily improved since his debut year. Bit sick of the Heidfeld bullying in the press and from the team actually...

As for Senna he was immediately outpaced by an out-of-practice Christian Klien last year in every race apart from his home race in Brazil if memory serves correct. I know Senna's the tester but if they were looking for more performance I'd have taken Klien.

Mekola
23rd August 2011, 21:47
Pantano will be back... but on Indycars AFAIK.

I think Bruno should enter in the simulator and practice hours and hours in it, mostly when in-season testing isn't allowed. I'm pretty angry with those who want to make fun with him and show him as another Badoer.

ioan
23rd August 2011, 22:14
I hope so. I am curious to see Bruno with a better car.

About 2 tenths faster than Sakon Yamamoto and on Chandhok's level.

ioan
23rd August 2011, 22:15
Gerard Lopez's GenII Capital has merged with a Brazilian investment firm, so I guess the rumour makes a lot of sense. Senna isn't going to do any better than Heidfeld, but he'll certainly bring some more cash to the team, and maybe a few Brazilian sponsors.

Yep, money talks.

gm99
23rd August 2011, 23:38
Pantano will be back... but on Indycars AFAIK.

Yes, Pantano will substitute for the injured Justin Wilson in the Dreyer & Reinbold car at Infineon Raceway this week-end.

CNR
24th August 2011, 01:02
Heidfeld may sue Renault (http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110824/jsp/sports/story_14416779.jsp)
Heidfeld may sue Renault

Renault want to replace Nick Heidfeld with reserve driver Bruno Senna for the remaining eight races of the season, starting in Belgium this weekend, but may face legal action from the German who is unhappy at the prospect of being dropped.

The Enstone-based team would not confirm on Monday night, who would be driving for them in Spa. However, this newspaper understands that 34 year-old Heidfeld — hired earlier this year to stand in for the injured Robert Kubica, whose career remains in the balance following a major accident in a rally car — is prepared to use legal channels to hang on to his race seat.

RS
24th August 2011, 06:58
Heidfeld may sue Renault (http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110824/jsp/sports/story_14416779.jsp)
Heidfeld may sue Renault

Good atmosphere they are building in that team..

Koz
24th August 2011, 07:33
I wonder if this could perhaps be a sign that we may not see Kubica in a Renault next year either.

Good news for Senna, I hope he does well.

Heidfeld may sue Renault

What a douchebag. He is lucky he got to race at all this season.
Just more reason for another team NOT to give him a ride next year.

There goes my fantasy F1 :(

F1boat
24th August 2011, 11:46
Heidi is a has been and was never a great driver. With his decision to sue Renault he puts an end to a not very illustrious career. But I really hope that Bruno will not be another Badoer as Mekola said. The qualifying against Klien was pretty embarrassing.

Robinho
24th August 2011, 13:30
the strory was on BBC yesterday, as informed by Eddie Jordan, but seems to have disappeared again, perhaps we've jumped the gun a little

Malbec
24th August 2011, 13:42
Heidi is a has been and was never a great driver. With his decision to sue Renault he puts an end to a not very illustrious career.

I agree, how dare Heidfeld expect that his contract be honoured. Employees should know their place.

If Renault cuts short his contract without due compensation that would say more about the team than about Heidfeld.

As for Nick's future employment prospects given his age he's looking at the end of his career anyway.

All this smacks of a team in dire straits, having lost the core of its successful technical staff and running short of money too. Senna is not going to perform better than Heidfeld, he'll struggle to trouble Petrov IMO.

RS
24th August 2011, 14:10
All this smacks of a team in dire straits, having lost the core of its successful technical staff and running short of money too. Senna is not going to perform better than Heidfeld, he'll struggle to trouble Petrov IMO.

Yes, I tend to think that if they let Nick go they are looking for a scapegoat for having dropped back in performance since the start of the year when in reality it's clear that the team haven't kept up with the development of their rivals.

pettersolberg29
24th August 2011, 14:58

You serious? Why on earth should Nick just agree to walk out - yes it was lucky he got the drive, but now he's got it and is beating his teammate there is no valid reason Renault can have for trying to shove him out. He is unlikely to get a ride next year in F1 but his main stength is his personality in the garage and willingness to help teammates, so for him to want to sue the team suggests they are massively in the wrong.

Dave B
24th August 2011, 20:18
Senna now confirmed.

The Black Knight
24th August 2011, 20:27
You serious? Why on earth should Nick just agree to walk out - yes it was lucky he got the drive, but now he's got it and is beating his teammate there is no valid reason Renault can have for trying to shove him out. He is unlikely to get a ride next year in F1 but his main stength is his personality in the garage and willingness to help teammates, so for him to want to sue the team suggests they are massively in the wrong.

I agree with that to a certain extent and it's hard to say what is really going on. We don't really know all the circumstances or what his contract states. If it's performance based then I can't blame them, as he has only been average, but average is probably enough for any performance claim to be debunked fairly quickly.

If it's due to money, then I wouldn't blame Heidfeld for suing the team. They should have thought about their money and had their budget sorted before the season started. Anyway I'm kind of interested to see what Senna can do. Someone said he is on Chandhok's level but we don't really know what level Chandhok is on either. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a reasonably competitive package.

Robinho
24th August 2011, 21:22
Heidfield was/is a known quantity and Petrov has proved he has improved as he's been pretty close or ahead of Nick as the season has worn on. Renault are going to gain nothing this season by keeping Nick on, a few points here and there but his experience isn't going ot yield podiums or wins, so they lose very little giving Senna a try out. If over the next few races he is able to get on par or even close to Petrov then he will prove he's got a place. If he's reamed then his chance will have been lost, but at least it will have been a good one in a decent car against a known quantity. I'd like him to do well, but being realistic I guess thats pretty unlikely, given how Chandock fared against Kovy in Germany.

RS
24th August 2011, 21:29
Renault might regret this if they can't keep ahead of Force India and Sauber for the rest of the year.

Senna is only confirmed for Spa, so expect to see Grosjean in the car and maybe one or two others! How many drivers are one team allowed during the season?

keysersoze
24th August 2011, 22:33
How many drivers are one team allowed during the season?

Let's ask HRT! :D

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 22:52

Wait, so if your boss breaks your contract and fires you without any reason from your job as the janitor, you will just take it willingly and accept it, because otherwise you would be a douchebag?

truefan72
25th August 2011, 00:33
Heidfield was/is a known quantity and Petrov has proved he has improved as he's been pretty close or ahead of Nick as the season has worn on. Renault are going to gain nothing this season by keeping Nick on, a few points here and there but his experience isn't going ot yield podiums or wins, so they lose very little giving Senna a try out. If over the next few races he is able to get on par or even close to Petrov then he will prove he's got a place. If he's reamed then his chance will have been lost, but at least it will have been a good one in a decent car against a known quantity. I'd like him to do well, but being realistic I guess thats pretty unlikely, given how Chandock fared against Kovy in Germany.

well said.
that is how I see it too
:up:

Mia 01
25th August 2011, 09:31
My dislike of this Boullier grows bigger every minute.

SGWilko
25th August 2011, 11:11
My dislike of this Boullier grows bigger every minute.

I don't think the blame should be laid ar Eric's door. Danny Bahr will be the culpret if the company falls on its knees. Tony might allow himself a wry smile, especially if ends up buying the 'other' Lotus name at a knockdown price.

What goes around comes around......

markabilly
25th August 2011, 14:26
petrov has a drive because of all the incentives and money coming to the team, via Russia....including meetings with Putin and so on.

Talent????? hahaha...maybe if he drives an F1 car long enough, he will get better.

Then there is Senna. Donot kid yourself about some BS of "senna-Lotus" bringing back memories as to why he is there.....

it is all about money.......another pay driver

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:38
Heidi is a has been and was never a great driver. With his decision to sue Renault he puts an end to a not very illustrious career. But I really hope that Bruno will not be another Badoer as Mekola said. The qualifying against Klien was pretty embarrassing.

The qualifying against Klien was embarrassing? Only embarrassing? Then what about barely being faster than Sakon Yamamoto?!

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:41
Renault might regret this if they can't keep ahead of Force India and Sauber for the rest of the year.

Senna is only confirmed for Spa, so expect to see Grosjean in the car and maybe one or two others! How many drivers are one team allowed during the season?

Not sure why people continue to mention Renault in this whole mess.
This team is not Renault team it's Genii Lotus whatever team with Renault engines and no money.

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:43
Wait, so if your boss breaks your contract and fires you without any reason from your job as the janitor, you will just take it willingly and accept it, because otherwise you would be a douchebag?

Looks like he would, he would probably even say thank you for the boot!
But hey there are billions of such people out there, and that's fine with me.

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:43
I don't think the blame should be laid ar Eric's door. Danny Bahr will be the culpret if the company falls on its knees. Tony might allow himself a wry smile, especially if ends up buying the 'other' Lotus name at a knockdown price.

What goes around comes around......

:D

Still Boullier is just a clown.

pettersolberg29
26th August 2011, 00:30
Heidfeld hoping High Court action can restore his Renault drive by Singapore - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93947)

And I wish him luck.

kfzmeister
26th August 2011, 05:44
One of the funniest things that I've read so far about Heidfeld losing his seat is the fact that Renault is only a number of points behind Mercedes in the constructors and that apparently by Senna now coming in to join that Mercedes can now relax a little more for the rest of the season!! :)

SGWilko
26th August 2011, 09:31
One of the funniest things that I've read so far about Heidfeld losing his seat is the fact that Renault is only a number of points behind Mercedes in the constructors and that apparently by Senna now coming in to join that Mercedes can now relax a little more for the rest of the season!! :)

I think that demonstrates just how 'hard up' this team is. Will they be here next year? That is two years in a row now they have asked Bernie for an advance of the TV money. Does not sound good, does it......

zako85
26th August 2011, 12:26
In my opinion, Lotus Renault GP(*) is just not doing well as a team, point. First, their car has lost its pace throughout the year. Next, there were constant rumors in the press of financial struggles within the team. There was a speculation that they might switch to the less expensive engine, and later some whining about how little money the Russians and Lotus are giving the them. Instead of acknowledging this new reality, they try to shift blame onto Nick Heidfeld and they use that as an excuse to recruit another pay driver. That's the way I view it. Performance wise, Nick has been on the same level with Petrov, add or subtract a few points, which implies that both drivers are limited by the capability of the car. It's just a lousy team and it will keep on going down. I actually kind of feel a little sorry that Petrov had signed a two year contract with them.

(that's the name the team is registered with according to wikipedia)

The Black Knight
26th August 2011, 14:56
Money bought Senna the drive apparently:

Heidfeld hoping High Court action can restore his Renault drive by Singapore - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93947)

"This position is disputed by the team for apparently purely financial reasons. We do not intend to rest before Nick's legal position has been fully restored."

I guess we all figured this anyway.

pettersolberg29
26th August 2011, 20:29
Boullier tries to find a reason to replace Nick

Nick Heidfeld didn't deliver speed or leadership, says Renault team principal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93985)

To be fair I understand his viewpoint, but to say he was always asked by the media 'why is Vitaly quicker than Nick?' is just odd, bearing in mind Nick finished ahead of Vitaly 6 times, while Vitaly finished ahead 3 times if you don't include the races where a driver retires due to mechanical reasons. This whole situation is just a mess, and if I was Heidfeld I wouldn't want to drive for Renault again, so seeing him wearing Renault stuff and promoting the team/staying in the garage shows what a gentleman he is...taking the moral highground (which isn't too hard against Boullier) ;)

steveaki13
26th August 2011, 20:38
http://www.yallaf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/d11chn3381-340x230.jpg
Caption "What the hell Bruno, you said you were good, but that spin earlier looked pretty s**t to me."

tfp
26th August 2011, 21:36
Boullier tries to find a reason to replace Nick

Nick Heidfeld didn't deliver speed or leadership, says Renault team principal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93985)

To be fair I understand his viewpoint, but to say he was always asked by the media 'why is Vitaly quicker than Nick?' is just odd, bearing in mind Nick finished ahead of Vitaly 6 times, while Vitaly finished ahead 3 times if you don't include the races where a driver retires due to mechanical reasons. This whole situation is just a mess, and if I was Heidfeld I wouldn't want to drive for Renault again, so seeing him wearing Renault stuff and promoting the team/staying in the garage shows what a gentleman he is...taking the moral highground (which isn't too hard against Boullier) ;)

Lacks leadership skills. What a stupid thing to say! I wonder if boullier looked at the championship tables? He would have found that the driver he was getting rid of is one place ahead of the driver that is staying.
I've always liked quick nick and never really rated senna. Who is betting that heidfeld has had a fallout with management or something....

kfzmeister
26th August 2011, 22:34
“I was not very happy with the pure speed of Nick and his global performance as an experienced driver, that is it. His leadership didn’t work in the team and when you are sometimes slower than Vitaly, in fact most of the time slower than Vitaly, it is difficult for him to push the team and to settle himself as the team leader.”The Nick-Vitaly Qualifying battle was 3-7. Heidfeld was behind on average almost .5 second.
In Comparison, Kubica was .7 faster than Vitaly.
I think Boullier's move was necessary, yet putting Senna instead of Heidfeld for performance reason's doesn't exactly match up.

CNR
27th August 2011, 03:56
i can not see how Heidfeld can take the court action unless the contract he signed was to be number one driver untill Kubica returned

Roamy
27th August 2011, 06:55
hate to say I told you so but I did

lars75
27th August 2011, 12:19
.As for Nick...same old story, too inconsistent.

When ther is one driver that is well known over his consistency it's Heidfeld! Do you even think about the stuff you're posting, or did you do some research at all???

Heidfeld-Petrov in quallifying is 3-7 that's a fact!

But what is the the ballance in the races? Who has most points? Wich off the drivers gained most postions during the races en wich driver lost most places during the races?

The team should be glad with the two lucky podium finishes in the start off the season and the fifth place off Petrov in Canada. The car should no be in the top 6 at all based on it's performance. It's performance got worse during the season and there was no update at all.
Boullier is happy with the development skills of Heifeld he said, Heidfeld also helped with the current updates. And once the updates are ready they kick out Heidfeld.

Petrov is not a great driver and never will be, people that think he has inproved his skills. They are wright, he has learned how te stay on the track for crying out loud. In the races his pace is totally off and he hast lost more positions then that he gained.

I wish them good luck with Senna and Petrov, the wish to beat Mercedes in the championship is a litllebit to optimistic.

SkyTom
27th August 2011, 15:09
Senna outqualifies his teammate Petrov, and also Fernando Alonso!

ShiftingGears
27th August 2011, 15:11
Credit where credits due - he was impressive today. Let's see what he can do in tomorrows race.

ioan
27th August 2011, 15:11
Bitter pill for Heidfeld, the team throws him out at the race where they bring serious updates for the first time since the start of the season.
I can see some lunatics claiming it is all due to Bruno Lali (Senna) being sucha great driver.

truefan72
27th August 2011, 15:29
It was a good performance though so we can't mistake that and not simply down to updates. The guy has barely driven the car so credit is due. Heidfeld is unlucky as to the point in the season where he has been dropped however.

yup, but early in the season that renault was 4th best and heidfeld while being given #1 status never quite delivered.
Heidfeld is what he is and I'm not sure why Renault expected him to light up the world. They would have been better off going with Hulkenberg or Klien IMO.
Or maybe they should have told NH that he is on a 6 race trial. Because the only time Heidfeld ever performs is when his seat is threatened or a teammate is beating him hands down.
He was just too comfortable in his cruise control mode. Senna came in and showed what a hungry young driver brings to the table. We will see how the race unfolds though
but so far I've been made to eat some crow about him since I never rated (and still sorta don't) him as anything decent

Hawkmoon
27th August 2011, 15:37
All credit to Senna, that was a good performance. I've had nothing good to say about the guy believing that his name was getting him places were his talent couldn't. I'm not yet ready to anoint him as the second coming of his uncle but if he keeps driving like that I'll happily admit I was wrong.

ioan
27th August 2011, 16:18
yup, but early in the season that renault was 4th best and heidfeld while being given #1 status never quite delivered.

With 4th best car he's got on the podium, so as you say he... Oh wait you were talking the usual rubbish. LOL

truefan72
27th August 2011, 16:23
All credit to Senna, that was a good performance. I've had nothing good to say about the guy believing that his name was getting him places were his talent couldn't. I'm not yet ready to anoint him as the second coming of his uncle but if he keeps driving like that I'll happily admit I was wrong.

:up: yup, that it how I see it too

N4D13
27th August 2011, 16:30
Just one point - we've only had one qualifying. There's no telling to what Nick Heidfeld could have done in these conditions - and I think they fit him well.

I'll give credit to Senna once he proves that he has the pace. A qualifying lap in changeable conditions is one thing, but what will he do in the race and in normal qualifying sessions? I'd rather wait before issuing my judgment on him.

Ranger
27th August 2011, 16:37
Nick Heidfeld is not good at making his own luck.

Decent though he is, his career has needed resurrection 3 times now (2005, 2010 and 2011).

There must be some underlying reason for this that none of us are aware of. Communication with engineers, general demeanour, qualifying performance, all play a part. It just seems he hasn't produced impressive performances when it seems they most matter to those that pay the wages.

If I were him, I would sue the pants off Renault for breach of contract instead of legally being reinstated for a race drive again.

It is not like he will be with the team next year, so what's the point?

keysersoze
27th August 2011, 17:16
OT, but I heard Nick's salary was 250,000 euros per race. I think that may be Vitaly's salary for the entire season!

Senna has surprised me so far this weekend. But, as others have said, the changeable conditions may have made the overall comparison difficult. Still, outstanding job for the boy! If he can bring the car home in the top 10 he will have done a lot for his first race weekend for the team.

Roamy
27th August 2011, 18:25
Well lets give credit when due - so far Senna has stuck it to Caviar Boy. Can't wait to see the race. BTW the updates don't make excuses for Nick. Petrov should be about 4 tenths or more in front of Senna.
Well it is good that Whinefield will be gone DTM is a good home for him.

Roamy
27th August 2011, 18:28
Nick Heidfeld is not good at making his own luck.

Decent though he is, his career has needed resurrection 3 times now (2005, 2010 and 2011).

There must be some underlying reason for this that none of us are aware of. Communication with engineers, general demeanour, qualifying performance, all play a part. It just seems he hasn't produced impressive performances when it seems they most matter to those that pay the wages.

If I were him, I would sue the pants off Renault for breach of contract instead of legally being reinstated for a race drive again.

It is not like he will be with the team next year, so what's the point?

Do you really know what the contract says? I think Heidfield was involved in other suits over money vs performance. Seems he gets a big contract and then lays down. Good riddance!!

Koz
28th August 2011, 09:13

I'd sue my boss, not in an attempt to get my job back - just for the money.

Would you go back to your gold digger of a wife if she decided she wanted to sleep with people for money (and never loved you in the first place)?
Doing that would make one a douchebag.

Do you really know what the contract says? I think Heidfield was involved in other suits over money vs performance. Seems he gets a big contract and then lays down. Good riddance!!

Yes, apparently his contracts says he gets to be one of the two main drivers.

He's a link:
http://www.supersport.com/motorsport/formula1/news/110826/Heidfeld_could_be_back_for_Singapore

"Nick has a valid contract to be one of the two main drivers of the team," said Heidfeld's legal representative Dr. Stefan Seitz. "This position is disputed by the team for apparently purely financial reasons. We do not intend to rest before Nick's legal position has been fully restored."

(Which makes me calling him a douchebag, wrong. Still wouldn't go back to a gold digging wife, nor an employer who doesn't want me.)

ioan
28th August 2011, 14:10
This guy is a complete failure in races, and destroyed other people's race already today.

steveaki13
28th August 2011, 15:38
To be fair, Kobayashi was it or Perez ran into someone in turn one as did one of the Lotus, so it wasn't just Bruno. However it was not a great race by him at all.

ioan
28th August 2011, 15:42
They should have sent him back to GP2 to get some race craft under his belt.

Ranger
28th August 2011, 15:46
Amateur at best today.

Koz
28th August 2011, 15:58
So does this mean Nick will be back next race?? :eek:

steveaki13
28th August 2011, 16:04
Luca Badoers not doing anything the next couple of weeks. :eek:

ioan
28th August 2011, 16:05

I don't think Boullier has got any common sense to make such a decision.

Dave B
28th August 2011, 16:09

Grosjean has wrapped up the GP2 title and no matter how much the managemet deny it, I can't help but think he'll be in the car sometime soon.

N4D13
28th August 2011, 16:10
Seriously, though. Yesterday, the decision of putting Senna in the car was a brilliant one. Now he's had a first corner crash and he's rubbish. Could we just wait for at least one more race before deciding on whether his return to F1 was a good idea?

Daniel
28th August 2011, 16:12
Seriously, though. Yesterday, the decision of putting Senna in the car was a brilliant one. Now he's had a first corner crash and he's rubbish. Could we just wait for at least one more race before deciding on whether his return to F1 was a good idea?

Couldn't agree more.

steveaki13
28th August 2011, 16:12

Never. Lets rip him to pieces now.. :p :

ioan
28th August 2011, 16:28

I've never said it was a brilliant decision. He's been as good as Chandhok at HRT and merely (2 tenths/lap) faster than Sakon Yamamoto. Nothing to warrant getting rid of the better driver and give him the seat, though I guess the team has had millions of reasons to do it, you know those green reasons.

vhatever
28th August 2011, 19:23
They already kickd nick. I say they should call grosjean up and give him his shot for the rest of the year since he locked up his GP2 champ today. Dumb move to kick nick in the first place though.

Or they could be even smarter and try to go get hulkenberg. Ridiculous to have a talent like that twiddling his thumbs.

ioan
28th August 2011, 19:49
They already kickd nick. I say they should call grosjean up and give him his shot for the rest of the year since he locked up his GP2 champ today. Dumb move to kick nick in the first place though.

Or they could be even smarter and try to go get hulkenberg. Ridiculous to have a talent like that twiddling his thumbs.

Hulkenberg will not go to a team that might drop him anytime for a bigger check, he already had that at WIlliams, who at least did wait for the end of the season.

jens
1st September 2011, 20:47
Okay, let's put it this way. Despite Heidfeld seriously struggling in qualifying, he seemed to have at least decent race pace and managed to get ahead of Petrov on several occasions despite qualifying behind. But Lotus Renault GP didn't have much to lose (more likely to win - with extra sponsorship money) with this decision as with this car neither driver was collecting big points any more and if Kubica doesn't come back, it is in the interest of the team to start seeking for a successor, especially as they don't view Nick as part of their future.

Heidfeld. What a telling finish to his F1 career - in flames. But I have to admit that ever since 2007 (when he was having a really excellent season) he has never looked the same again for some reason by often suffering from qualifying troubles. In the last two years there were (perhaps at the time rightful) complaints that it's unfair that Heidfeld doesn't have a full-time drive. But by now he has shown that he genuinely isn't an attractive prospect any more... and perhaps not even as a substitute driver.

Senna... I have to say that already in GP2 he looked good in the wet, so the impressive qualifying effort doesn't come completely out of the blue. But remains to be seen, how consistent he can be across all sessions, conditions and tracks.