PDA

View Full Version : DRS may be banned in Eau Rou ge

Retro Formula 1
22nd August 2011, 14:31
BBC Sport - F1 considers DRS ban at famous Eau Rouge corner in Spa (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14615926.stm)

For practice and qualifying.

More silly interfering from the FIA. A driver knows how much speed and downforce he has. Let them race WTF they have and stop messing :down:

The Black Knight
22nd August 2011, 14:44
BBC Sport - F1 considers DRS ban at famous Eau Rouge corner in Spa (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14615926.stm)

More silly interfering from the FIA. A driver knows how much speed and downforce he has. Let them race WTF they have and stop messing :down:

I agree completely. It's more bull**** from the FIA but exactly what we have come to expect from them.

BDunnell
22nd August 2011, 14:46

Quite. If the system isn't deemed safe for everywhere, it shouldn't be used at all — quite apart from all the other reasons it's wrong.

ShiftingGears
22nd August 2011, 15:10
Quite. If the system isn't deemed safe for everywhere, it shouldn't be used at all — quite apart from all the other reasons it's wrong.

Exactly. This situation arising at Eau Rouge was entirely predictable ever since discussion started about its use in the tunnel.

kfzmeister
22nd August 2011, 19:00
If they allow the opening of the rear wing right after Eau Rouge, that will still be plenty for overtaking. Not sure what the problem is if they don't allow it through that section. Not like the cars will not be able to achieve significant speed with the wing closed.

ArrowsFA1
22nd August 2011, 21:00
It is absurd that the FIA put DRS into the regulations then say it's too dangerous to use.

Just get rid of it.

steveaki13
22nd August 2011, 22:21
Agree with all on here. If the drivers have a tool they are by far skillful enough and intellegent enough to know where to use it.

The FIA seem to think F1 drivers are incapable of being trusted. He knows what the risk is, if he wants to use it around and about Eau Rouge.

Hawkmoon
23rd August 2011, 05:11
They're going to want downforce through Eau Rouge so I doubt they'd have the wing open as they enter the corner. The question is how soon they could open the wing. I think it would be good to see who had the balls to open the wing the earliest.

Kevincal
23rd August 2011, 05:39
Safety first, eau rouge is dangerous enough with full downforce, I think its a good decision to not use it there.... And like said above, there is a plenty long straight after where drs could should be used. I dont think much time could be made with drs enabled going through eau rouge and the car being unstable and twitching everywhere...

Roamy
23rd August 2011, 06:12
good decision - you can't screw with the downforce at this turn

Big Ben
23rd August 2011, 08:09
I agree with the decision. Is one step towards the right direction. Now all they have to do is ban it everywhere.

kfzmeister
23rd August 2011, 14:25
The question is how soon they could open the wing. I think it would be good to see who had the balls to open the wing the earliest.

I read that right at the top of the hill (aft Eau Rouge) is where one can activate the wing. I'm sure a white painted line will mark it clearly. I'm sure people will already have their fingers on the button before they cross that line. I'm not sure that anybody can open it before another.

Retro Formula 1
23rd August 2011, 15:43
It's crazy to dictate to the pack when and when not to use their equipment. If they are allowed to use DRS (whether you agree with DRS in principle or not) in practice and qualifying, then they should be able to use it anywhere on the track as and when they see fit.

We don't say when they can apply the throttle or dictate when they must brake so why can they use it on all corners apart from one of the most exciting ones in F1.

Kevincal
23rd August 2011, 19:24
its about safety... yes it's in theory not practical to fudge the rules like this, but we dont need another imola 94. imagine the nasty wrecks that could happen with limited drs downforce at eau rouge, and sprinkle in some rain... Sure you would think F1 drivers would be smart enough but even those guys can misjudge the amount of grip they have and it could easily be fatal if they lose control at eau rouge full speed.

I am sure the majority of the drivers are FOR banning drs at this section, they dont need any more risk to their lives than they already have.

Roamy
23rd August 2011, 19:39
If anyone recalls JV and Zonta - then you would not have to wonder why

kfzmeister
24th August 2011, 04:31
its about safety...

I am sure the majority of the drivers are FOR banning drs at this section.

Isn't the GPDA responsible for this ban? Thought i read that....

ArrowsFA1
24th August 2011, 08:20
its about safety... yes it's in theory not practical to fudge the rules like this, but we dont need another imola 94. imagine the nasty wrecks that could happen with limited drs downforce at eau rouge, and sprinkle in some rain... Sure you would think F1 drivers would be smart enough but even those guys can misjudge the amount of grip they have and it could easily be fatal if they lose control at eau rouge full speed.
So, in effect, DRS is dangerous and should be banned on safety grounds.

555-04Q2
25th August 2011, 11:27
...get...rid...of...drs...please...

The Black Knight
25th August 2011, 11:33
If anyone recalls JV and Zonta - then you would not have to wonder why

Best drivers in the world should be able to judge exactly where and when DRS can be used. If they can't and it is banned on safety grounds, then DRS is unsafe and should be banned.

It still pisses me off that the F-Duct was banned. A perfectly sound innovative solution from McLaren and and it was banned because some teams chose to implement it in a way that was dangerous. If I were McLaren, since it's not banned by the FIA, I'd have clearly stated to FOTA that it would have been on this years car and it was up to other teams to provide a safe solution. If the solution isn't deemed safe, then they can't race it.

The Black Knight
26th August 2011, 08:07
Hamilton said he won't be able to use his DRS through Blanchimont. Amazing that the FIA haven't banned the dopey DRS system for safety reasons here too. Maybe it's because drivers have common sense and know when to use the stupid thing themselves.

Craig Lowndes
27th August 2011, 06:09
Yet more pussiness that is becoming all too prevalent in contemporary F1. It's typical FIA nannying. If you're that much of a pussy you don't want to open the wing down Eau Rouge then fine, but they should allow the brave drivers to open it if they want. If the start is wet we get to look foward to tedious and unecessary laps under the safety car, too. Yippee.

Bagwan
29th August 2011, 14:18
This race was great , but it was spoiled for me by this device .

Eau Rouge is still a "manly" section , but for this race , with the DRS set for the straight up the hill after it , you didn't want to go through first , or the wing made you a sitting duck almost every time .
Kobayashi showed that a slipstream , even when following a DRS open car , is possible up the hill .

Please , please , let this device be taken off the cars as soon as possible .

I described device this to a friend the other day , who has missed this year entirely , due to work .
I tried to be as un-biassed as I could , describing the regs as dryly as I could .

He thought for a moment and said , "That's stupid . where's the skill in that ?" .

555-04Q2
29th August 2011, 15:11
DRS was once again shown up for what it is...a pathetic gimmick :down:

Get rid of it for f#ck sakes!!!!!!!!!!!

D28
29th August 2011, 16:43
I agree that overtaking appeared far too easy on the straight. I'm sure it was harder than it looked, but the appearance was one of driving, not racing. F1 should not have to resort to gimmicks like DRS, to make passing possible.

airshifter
30th August 2011, 03:37
Quite a few moves after Eau Rouge happened before DRS was active, and a number of times after DRS was active the moves couldn't stick. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the obvious huge differences in car speed before even hitting the DRS activation lines?

IMO most of those passes were done deals with or without DRS. If you watch replays a lot of times the following car was moving out of the leading cars slipstream before the DRS zone.

kfzmeister
30th August 2011, 04:29
I'm not sure what you guys are all whining about, the ban was brought about because the GPDA (That's the actual drivers themselves!!!!!!!) had concerns about going through Eau Rouge with the wing open! They considered it potentially dangerous.
Who still doesn't get that?

ShiftingGears
30th August 2011, 04:51
Should've been banned. I found myself rather bored by the inevitability of passes made on the Kemmel straight which otherwise would not have been guaranteed as soon as a driver activated DRS.

AndyL
2nd September 2011, 15:42
Apparently at Monza, overtaking is so hard we need to have two independent DRS zones:
Two separate DRS zones to be used at Monza - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94135)

The Black Knight
2nd September 2011, 15:47
I'm not sure what you guys are all whining about, the ban was brought about because the GPDA (That's the actual drivers themselves!!!!!!!) had concerns about going through Eau Rouge with the wing open! They considered it potentially dangerous.
Who still doesn't get that?

Again that just gives proof that we're dealing with a bunch of pussies. If they can't deal with the lack of downforce then they shouldn't be on the crazy wages they are on. Ridiculous. They should know when it is safe to open the DRS in Eau Rouge.

I wonder what Lewis Hamilton's opinion about this was? He seems to be the only real man left in the sport when it comes to racing. I doubt very much he agreed with it.

schmenke
2nd September 2011, 19:42
Apparently at Monza, overtaking is so hard we need to have two independent DRS zones:
Two separate DRS zones to be used at Monza - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94135)

The logical extension to this logic would be to simply permit unrestricted DRS throught the entire circuit :s

Mia 01
2nd September 2011, 19:48
Again that just gives proof that we're dealing with a bunch of pussies. If they can't deal with the lack of downforce then they shouldn't be on the crazy wages they are on. Ridiculous. They should know when it is safe to open the DRS in Eau Rouge.

I wonder what Lewis Hamilton's opinion about this was? He seems to be the only real man left in the sport when it comes to racing. I doubt very much he agreed with it.

Think you got it right, the ting about racing, finishing is another cake.

kfzmeister
2nd September 2011, 19:56
Think you got it right, the ting about racing, finishing is another cake.

Lmao. His driving style might just end up killing him one day. A part of a true Champion is knowing your limits, like Alonso who let Webber pass him at Eau Rouge!!

kfzmeister
2nd September 2011, 19:58
Again that just gives proof that we're dealing with a bunch of pussies. If they can't deal with the lack of downforce then they shouldn't be on the crazy wages they are on.

Wow! I'm not gonna pretend to know what it's like driving in F1. Sure looks easy in the comfort of my couch at home, or on my PS3!