PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mark Donohue

Hoop-98
19th August 2011, 19:17
One of the greats for sure....

EagleEye
19th August 2011, 19:51
One of the greats for sure....

He is the reason I pursued a career in racing. I met David in the mid-nineties and told him how his father moved me to pursue engineering and motorsports andhe said he was amazed at how many in the profession had said the same.

I was lucky enough to make the Mark Donohue reunion breakfast last year at Elkhart. He remains one of my heroes.

00steven
19th August 2011, 19:55
He could drive anything.

FormerFF
20th August 2011, 04:22
If you haven't read "The Unfair Advantage", you really should.

Chris R
20th August 2011, 12:57
I second that motion!!

FIAT1
22nd August 2011, 19:23
Prayers.RIP

chuck34
22nd August 2011, 19:46

One of the best books around. And yes, everyone who likes racing, and particularly the technical aspects should read it.

I've had the opportunity to work with David a bit, and he's a very nice guy. There's a picture in "The Unfair Advantage" of Mark and Hurley Haywood standing around a car talking about something. A few years ago at Daytona I saw David and Hurley in almost the identical pose. Hurley basically doesn't age, and David is the spitting image of his dad, so it was sort of an errie image. Wish I could have taken a picture before they moved, but I missed it.

F1boat
22nd August 2011, 19:49
RIP :(

Lee Roy
22nd August 2011, 20:25
Got to see Donohue twice. One was when he won finale at Daytona in the first IROC series (when they ran the Porshes). Second was when he broke the closed course speed record at Talladega in the Porsche Can Am car the weekend before he died.

Arguably the best driver ever from the US.

wedge
22nd August 2011, 20:50

I've been meaning to read that. Penske cheating, sorry, tricks of the trade AKA gaining the umfair advantage.

RIP

You could drive anythng